Ask Doctor Strange anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok what was the worst grade you got and what class was this? Also tell me about what kind of a student you were, by this I mean were you that smart kid that sat in the front and asked obvious questions but still ended up getting a perfect score on exams?

Ok what was the worst grade you got and what class was this? Also tell me about what kind of a student you were, by this I mean were you that smart kid that sat in the front and asked obvious questions but still ended up getting a perfect score on exams?
The lowest grade I ever got was a B in the first semester of organic chemistry. As far as what type of student I was, I guess I would consider myself a pretty smart one? In large lectures, I was definitely not the type to ask questions or sit in the front, but I did do a fair amount of participation in my smaller major specific classes where I knew both my classmates and the professors better.

The lowest grade I ever got was a B in the first semester of organic chemistry. As far as what type of student I was, I guess I would consider myself a pretty smart one? In large lectures, I was definitely not the type to ask questions or sit in the front, but I did do a fair amount of participation in my smaller major specific classes where I knew both my classmates and the professors better.
Will you guys be making a new informational vid this year? (You, @Guero , and the other dudes)

Will you guys be making a new informational vid this year? (You, @Guero , and the other dudes)
No, we decided as a group that we didn't have much else to offer future applicants at this stage since the process changes from year to year.

When the prospect to make a vid this year (summer '14) came up, I proposed that we wait until after our Step 1 (2016) to provide those following in our footsteps (c/o 2018) with advice relevant to their med school track, meaning those applying now ('13-'14 cycle) and when they take Step 1 (in 2017). At the moment, that remains our plan, even though I'll be the odd ball in the group now: My father was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer in November '13; so I took a leave of absence and will re-join the c/o 2018 this summer.

TL;DR version: Stay tuned for the '2016 fireside chat with Guero et al. Guero is now in your class due to extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
No, we decided as a group that we didn't have much else to offer future applicants at this stage since the process changes from year to year.

When the prospect to make a vid this year (summer '14) came up, I proposed that we wait until after our Step 1 (2016) to provide those following in our footsteps (c/o 2018) with advice relevant to their med school track, meaning those applying now ('13-'14 cycle) and when they take Step 1 (in 2017). At the moment, that remains our plan, even though I'll be the odd ball in the group now: My father was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer in November '13; so I took a leave of absence and will re-join the c/o 2018 this summer.

TL;DR version: Stay tuned for the '2016 fireside chat with Guero et al. Guero is now in your class due to extenuating circumstances.
Sorry to hear that, brother.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were interested in starting some graphic novel/comic reading, what are a few sources you would recommend?

If I were interested in starting some graphic novel/comic reading, what are a few sources you would recommend?
That's highly dependent on what you're interested in. Something I typically recommend to medically-inclined people is a series called Witch Doctor by Brandon Seifert and Lukas Ketner. It's a nice mix of medicine and the supernatural with a protagonist that is pretty similar to Dr. House. If you have any specific interests, let me know, and I can try to recommend some material.

Steven Vincent Strange?
Also yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who wins, Batman or Iron Man in a battle of the super rich non super powered superheroes?

IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1241.JPG you like sushi?

Hey
If u were admitted to a DO school would wait another year or two so you might apply and get into a MD school?

I think that because of my background in pharmacology, these first couple of courses (anatomy and biochem) seem a little like back-tracking to me, and it's frustrating at times. I've been learning about pharmacological management of disease for the past four years and really love it, so it's weird to have this break from it where I feel like I'm forgetting things.

I'm a fan of both, so it really depends on who's having a better season. If I had to choose, though, I think I'm inclined to go with the Eagles.

I see you got a background in pharmacology. So what exactly did you study and what advice would you give to a PharmD/RPh of 5 years in applying to medical school?

Who wins, Batman or Iron Man in a battle of the super rich non super powered superheroes?
I'm a Marvel fan, but I kind of hate Iron Man... a lot. So I'm giving this to Batman.

stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

Hey
If u were admitted to a DO school would wait another year or two so you might apply and get into a MD school?
It's kind of hard to see myself in this situation, mostly because applying to DO schools was never a part of my plan. Thinking about it though, I think I'm the kind of person that would just take the DO acceptance and run with it. I have undergrad loans that would go into repayment if I was forced to take a gap year, and I'm not particularly interested in pursuing any competitive surgical specialties.

I see you got a background in pharmacology. So what exactly did you study and what advice would you give to a PharmD/RPh of 5 years in applying to medical school?
My undergrad major was pharmacology and toxicology, which is a degree that I think only a couple of schools in the nation actually offer. I basically took all the same classes as the pharmacy students at my school except for some of the more clinically oriented classes (e.g., clinical skills, P&T). Instead, I had labs that focused on applying pharmacological principles to bench research in addition to classes that went more in-depth into the pathophysiology of drug adverse effects.

As far as applying, I have some anecdotal experience regarding this since I know both former PharmD students that applied to medical school and students who graduated with a PharmD and later went back to medical school. The latter is much less common, but it's still possible. I think the biggest hurdle that either applicant has to overcome is explaining the reasoning behind the career change. Once you've got that down, the rest kind of falls into place, granted you've got competitive GPA and MCAT numbers. Knowledge of and experience working with drugs is pretty valuable. Not only that, but having an understanding of the pharmacists role in the health care team is also something that you can talk about.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a Marvel fan, but I kind of hate Iron Man... a lot. So I'm giving this to Batman.

stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

Knowledge of and experience working with drugs is pretty valuable. Not only that, but having an understanding of the pharmacists role in the health care team is also something that you can talk about.

Good sushi though.

That was a good point. Not many people have the perspectives and experiences of an allied health providers, and it made up of ~ 60% of the healthcare field. Allied healthcare workers provide a wide spectrum of diagnostic, technical and therapeutic and direct patient care and support the other peeps that they work with and patients that receive the care. I am trying to provide a reason for switching career as well. Cause technically i cant say that I want to pursue a career in medicine, since I have already im in medicine. LOL what was the reason that you told the admission?

Favorite area/neighborhood in Philly?
Probably Center City around Washington Square West/the Gayborhood. University City and Olde City are tied for second.
Good sushi though.

That was a good point. Not many people have the perspectives and experiences of an allied health providers, and it made up of ~ 60% of the healthcare field. Allied healthcare workers provide a wide spectrum of diagnostic, technical and therapeutic and direct patient care and support the other peeps that they work with and patients that receive the care. I am trying to provide a reason for switching career as well. Cause technically i cant say that I want to pursue a career in medicine, since I have already im in medicine. LOL what was the reason that you told the admission?
I actually didn't have to explain any "career change" since medical school was always my plan from the start. My degree in pharmacology was just something I pursued because I was interested in it. It also conveniently fulfilled by pre-reqs for med school admissions, as well.

Talking to others, though, I think the way it's most commonly explained is that even though you may currently have a career in medicine, it's not in the same capacity as it would be as a physician. Everyone in the field has a slightly different job, even though it's all under the giant umbrella of "medicine." My pharmacist friends who have gone to medical school have explained how they wanted a more direct role in patient care, diagnosis, and management of medicine.
At which point do you feel Walter White crossed the moral point of no return, if at all? What would you have done differently, if at all, if you were in his situation?
Here's the thing... I watched the first season of Breaking Bad and kind of... stopped. I've been meaning to start it again, but I just can't find the motivation.

3.3 cGPA 3.25 sGPA
2nd sem. sophomore
taking gen-eds in summer to increase my GPA

Having very little EC... which do you suggest would be the better option?
(A) spend every hour studying to get A's and hit 31-34 MCAT range
(B) volunteer at hospital every waking hour
(C) research/shadow

I've had a job and have been tutoring (less than min. wage [altruistic tutoring]) for the past 2years. I realize I shot myself by having zero EC that directly shows my commitment to research/medicine.

@Doctor Strange

3.3 cGPA 3.25 sGPA
2nd sem. sophomore
taking gen-eds in summer to increase my GPA

Having very little EC... which do you suggest would be the better option?
(A) spend every hour studying to get A's and hit 31-34 MCAT range
(B) volunteer at hospital every waking hour
(C) research/shadow

I've had a job and have been tutoring (less than min. wage [altruistic tutoring]) for the past 2years. I realize I shot myself by having zero EC that directly shows my commitment to research/medicine.

@Doctor Strange
Everything in moderation, bub. I'm not a fan of this "spending every hour" thing. You can accomplish all three things if you can just manage your time effectively. An obscene number of hospital hours in a short amount of time isn't going to impress anyone; dial it down to volunteering once or twice a week for a couple of hours, and then do that for an extended period of time. As far as shadowing goes, this isn't something that takes an entire summer to do. Find a doc and go in and shadow once or twice. The only thing that may pose a problem, in my opinion, is if you're pairing a heavy course load with research, in which case you'll have to either dial back your credit hours or research hours.

Psst, considering my friend here is in second semester as an M1 and able to respond thoughtfully in such a rapid manner, take care to realize he's brilliant and not your average med student ;)

I still have a month and a half old PM I haven't addressed, let alone read and respond to all of my subs. LoL

//

@Doctor Strange Props homie! I owe you a Pat's cheesesteak next time we meet up again in Philly. Or perhaps a marg since we never got to do that, you popular bastard.

//friend rant-thread hijack

Psst, considering my friend here is in second semester as an M1 and able to respond thoughtfully in such a rapid manner, take care to realize he's brilliant and not your average med student ;)

I still have a month and a half old PM I haven't addressed, let alone read and respond to all of my subs. LoL

//

@Doctor Strange Props homie! I owe you a Pat's cheesesteak next time we meet up again in Philly. Or perhaps a marg since we never got to do that, you popular bastard.

I've actually made pretty mediocre grades so far, but thanks for the compliment, amigo.

How common is for medical students to take adderall and have you heard of students taking it at your school?

//

I want cheesesteak..

How common is for medical students to take adderall and have you heard of students taking it at your school?
I'm not actually sure. Back when I went to a pharmacy school, I had heard about a couple of students here and there using it, but I never personally knew anyone that did. Since I've gotten to medical school, I haven't even heard rumors about students using it. I'm sure there are some students out there that use it, but I'm assuming it's something you'd want to keep discrete.

Speaking of Archer, what do you think about the current season, Archer Vice?

I am currently attending a CC (freshmen) and I do not have anyone with any connections at my school to help me get research at a university. Should I not worry about this and just wait until I transfer to the 4 year university? Thanks.

Speaking of Archer, what do you think about the current season, Archer Vice?
I was pretty heartbroken about the big thing that happened in the season premiere and wasn't sure initially how I was going to like the rest of the season. That being said, episodes, for me, have been as funny as ways albeit still not as good as season two, which I consider to be my favorite. The show is still going strong, in my opinion, and I'm ecstatic they were just renewed for two more seasons!
Thanks for doing this!

How has this semester differed from your first in terms of free time and difficulty?
I have a lot more free time this semester, which is pretty much due to two factors: 1) the course I'm in now (physiology/histology) is a little easier than anatomy and biochem, which they really hit us hard with in the fall and 2) I've gotten into a groove of how I study and learn best. Starting medical school is really all about learning to innovate and expand upon things that work for you. You become more time efficient out of necessity and will continue to become more efficient as you advance in your career.
@Doctor Strange What's the deal with the Sorcerer thing? A comic series by Marvel, I think? Go ahead; geek me.
Doctor Strange is indeed a Marvel superhero. He is a former neurosurgeon who was extremely arrogant and greedy. After a car accident left him with permanent nerve damage in his hands, he underwent a journey of redemption that lead him to the world of magic and doing good.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Stephen_Strange_(Earth-616)

I am currently attending a CC (freshmen) and I do not have anyone with any connections at my school to help me get research at a university. Should I not worry about this and just wait until I transfer to the 4 year university? Thanks.
I think it's perfectly fine to wait until you transfer. I personally did all of my research the summer before my senior year of college and did fine. Research is nice to have but a lack of it is not an application breaker.

If you're interested, two good short reads are Doctor Strange: Season One (modernized origin story) and Doctor Strange: The Oath (well-written mini-series that doesn't really require much background). I can hook you up if you PM me.
*Spoiler*

What do you think about the Dr. Strange reference in Winter Soldier? Wouldn't he have to be fairly powerful if anyone on Earth/Avengers are to defeat Thanos?

*Spoiler*

What do you think about the Dr. Strange reference in Winter Soldier? Wouldn't he have to be fairly powerful if anyone on Earth/Avengers are to defeat Thanos?
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I do know about the name drop.

Historically, comic book Strange has been pretty competent in all of the encounters with Thanos albeit still requiring the assistance of other heroes. As of late, Strange has been seriously depowered, mostly due to bad writing *cough*Bendis*cough*, but I think Marvel is posturing to give him a serious power boost in the near future. My thought is that Marvel is going to make movie Strange have power levels on the order of what Thor is right now. Maybe even a little stronger depending on who the other members of the Avengers 3 cast will be.

I'm Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme.

This is a combination of me being bored and liking to give whatever I advice I can to people. As always, take anyone's advice on SDN with a grain of salt, but I like to offer whatever insight I can, because, quite frankly, I like talking about myself.

For background, check out my MDApps.

Ask anything and everything. I might not be willing to answer some things, but, hey, give it a shot anyway...

My major right now is pharmacology and toxicology also, and my parents are also immigrants, but from Poland during the soviet union days, are you me? jk

How did you like major in pharm tox? I still have yet to take the core classes in it since the first two years are just doing med school prerequisites anyways.

My major right now is pharmacology and toxicology also, and my parents are also immigrants, but from Poland during the soviet union days, are you me? jk

How did you like major in pharm tox? I still have yet to take the core classes in it since the first two years are just doing med school prerequisites anyways.
Honestly, deciding to major in pharm/tox was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. I absolutely loved the material, especially in the upper level pharm and tox courses. At my undergrad, I took a lot of the core courses in the large PharmD classes, but we also had a bunch of upper division classes separate where there would be ten students in the class. It was a great way to get to know professors, network, and get awesome letters of recommendation. It also has helped a bunch already in med school. Having a strong background in pathophysiology and pharmacotherapy is such a huge asset for me right now.

@Doctor_Strange, do you happen to know for certain if Jefferson U has made their prereq coursework "recommended" for this upcoming cycle? The MSAR says it's all recommended, but I just want to make sure.

What are you anticipating to do this coming summer?

Any views on life, religion, purpose etc?