Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After you interview at a program, how much do your scores and grades matter to program directors? Is your interview impression valued more than scores and grades at that point?

It varies greatly from program to program. At some places the interview matters a great deal, at some places your academics remain the most important thing and the interview is more a formality to make sure you have a modicum of social skills. It's really not something the applicant should spend much time thinking about because you can't guess or control the parameters a program uses to make its rank order list. Focus on what you can control: Go on your interviews--be pleasant, show interest, smile, interact, thank the interviewers and the coordinators. If you want to be truly impressive, take the time to read the program's webpage and prepare some questions that show this familiarity. Then, at the end of the day, you know you've done your best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Program Director,

If there is a program that you are extremely interested in that you know has given out interview dates already, should you contact them via email, expressing your interest in the program? When is is too early to reach out? I guess my question is, what's the best time to reach out and express interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Dear PC's. Thank you for all of your advice! The information on these forums has been invaluable.
I personally have a 'to contact or not to contact' type question. I yesterday completed the Green Card process. I updated my Personal Information to reflect 'Permanent Resident' instead of 'awaiting PR status'. Is it worth contacting programs I haven't heard from to share this update?

Any program that is still considering you will see the change. I don't see any benefit in contacting programs.

Program Director,

If there is a program that you are extremely interested in that you know has given out interview dates already, should you contact them via email, expressing your interest in the program? When is is too early to reach out? I guess my question is, what's the best time to reach out and express interest.

This is a common question without a clear answer. My personal advice is that it depends upon what you mean by "extremely interested". If you have 20 programs that you'd like to be at, simply because they sound like great programs, then I think that emailing programs is simply annoying. I get emails like this all the time, and they go directly in the trash. On the other hand, if you have a specific reason why you would want to be at a specific program, then they should know that. In that case, contacting them may be helpful. But this is only a single program's opinion. Perhaps some programs out there choose whom to interview by assessing how many "I love you" emails they get.

Reactions: 2 users
If our dean's letters aren't being uploaded until tomorrow is it possible some programs may download the application before mine is up? If so do they frequently redownload applications or would I potentially have to email programs to ask to check again?

If our dean's letters aren't being uploaded until tomorrow is it possible some programs may download the application before mine is up? If so do they frequently redownload applications or would I potentially have to email programs to ask to check again?

There is no more downloading of documents, they simply appear--so there's absolutely no need to email programs about such a small delay in having the document made available. I doubt that most programs will even notice.

A better question is, why does your school wait until the last day to upload MSPE's? That's pretty dumb.

Can somebody shed some light on when is the peak period of interview invites?! I have several interviews but I still haven't gotten any invites from a lot of the programs that I am really interested in and I saw in the invite thread that they have sent out invites to several people. Is it time for me to get freaked out over this or I still have the chance to expect interviews from them?

Can somebody shed some light on when is the peak period of interview invites?! I have several interviews but I still haven't gotten any invites from a lot of the programs that I am really interested in and I saw in the invite thread that they have sent out invites to several people. Is it time for me to get freaked out over this or I still have the chance to expect interviews from them?

I got interview invites in December. For Peds, one of the early interviewers. A lot of programs sent out invites to all the top candidates early on. As those top candidates get more and more interviews, or start going on said interviews and canceling later ones, they will invite more people. My program already has a wait list for slots, but haven't opened up all the interview slots because they know a bunch of people are going to cancel in November. There are also programs who send out invites to people they would invite regardless of what the MSPE says, and then hold those that they need more information on in another pile--those letters just got released today, so there is usually a second wave of invitations in the first couple weeks of October, and then interviews trickle in throughout the rest of the year.

Reactions: 1 user
It drastically varies depending on your field and somewhat by your credentials. For family medicine, the peak for a competitive applicant might have been as early as last week... for Dermatology? Not for another month or so. Ask your question in your subspecialty forum.

There is no more downloading of documents, they simply appear--so there's absolutely no need to email programs about such a small delay in having the document made available. I doubt that most programs will even notice.
When should I start becoming concerned?

Im socially awkward at times and have social anxiety issues. Am I completely screwed from getting matched into residency?

Can the PC or PD see the exact date and time a LOR was assigned to the program?

Firs time in the forum and I have read this mega thread. Thank you for posting your experience and providing feedback to lot of us who are new to the process. I know I am.

I would appreciate if you could enlighten me/us on following questions:

1. Is it a good idea to ask program coordinator who is going to be on the interview panel? Can I get contact information of all current residents or may be few specific ones who are alumni from my medical school but I have no way of finding their contact information/email address.

2. I'm thinking of sending a sweet email to PC acknowledging how busy the season is and appreciating her/his efforts in coordinating the interview process. How can I nicely say "I'm interested and if you haven't looked at the application, please take a look and give me a chance"? Would similar email but less schmooze-y to PD CCed to PC is better?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions here.

Firs time in the forum and I have read this mega thread. Thank you for posting your experience and providing feedback to lot of us who are new to the process. I know I am.

1. Is it a good idea to ask program coordinator who is going to be on the interview panel? Can I get contact information of all current residents or may be few specific ones who are alumni from my medical school but I have no way of finding their contact information/email address.

2. I'm thinking of sending a sweet email to PC acknowledging how busy the season is and appreciating her/his efforts in coordinating the interview process. How can I nicely say "I'm interested and if you haven't looked at the application, please take a look and give me a chance"? Would similar email but less schmooze-y to PD CCed to PC is better?

1. Wait until your interview day. Many programs will make an effort to have alumni from your school at least present for the day, if not giving you the contact information.

2. No, don't email. You're way too early in the game for that.

1. Wait until your interview day. Many programs will make an effort to have alumni from your school at least present for the day, if not giving you the contact information.

Mvenus nailed this.

Most of the information you are looking for regarding residents and faculty can be found on the institutions website. We send our applicants a master itinerary with specifics, i.e. who they are interviewing with, the day of interviews. Quite often, the schedule of who is interviewing who is changing right up until the day of the interview, and throughout the interviews. If you have expressed an interest in a particular sub-specialty, the program will likely have faculty in those areas interview you.

When you send the PC an email asking to be invited, more often than not it will be forwarded to the PD. I don't know of any PCs who choose who will be invited for interviews. Many PCs will download applications (which really can be done in the web-based ERAS) that meet the criteria laid out by the program, then either the PD or a committee of faculty choose who will be interviewed. My PD goes through all the applications, 900, and chooses who will be interviewed.

Thanks mvenus929 for your replies. My interview is about three weeks out so I'm hoping that I will get information about who is on the interview team if they have finalized. So far I have received the confirmation of the interview date and phone confirmation about program booking hotel for the night (I'm responsible for cost but it's special rate offered to applicants coming into interviews).

Regarding emailing PD or PC, I'm an IMG who has YOG(Year of graduation) in 2007 so I wanted to do as much as possible in terms of showing my interest and especially if the application might have been filtered by the computer/ERAS when downloading/looking at the eligible pool of candidates.

I understand it's early in the process but I was thinking of ways to make the program have a look and maybe give it a second look if it was filtered in the initial step.

Mvenus nailed this.

Most of the information you are looking for regarding residents and faculty can be found on the institutions website. We send our applicants a master itinerary with specifics, i.e. who they are interviewing with, the day of interviews. Quite often, the schedule of who is interviewing who is changing right up until the day of the interview, and throughout the interviews. If you have expressed an interest in a particular sub-specialty, the program will likely have faculty in those areas interview you.

When you send the PC an email asking to be invited, more often than not it will be forwarded to the PD. I don't know of any PCs who choose who will be invited for interviews. Many PCs will download applications (which really can be done in the web-based ERAS) that meet the criteria laid out by the program, then either the PD or a committee of faculty choose who will be interviewed. My PD goes through all the applications, 900, and chooses who will be interviewed.

Hi Frederica,
Thanks for your reply!

My intention in getting the contact information of a resident who's alumni of my med school was so I could get in touch with her/him ahead of time to get a sense of the program, how best to prepare for any idiosyncratic situations unique to that program..like do they ask candidate to go to whiteboard and explain a case or something. The program has published the names of current residents and their med school information online but sometime it's becoming impossible to search on google for some of those folks and track down their email address. Lot of people are no where to be found online.

I thought it would be probably be awkward to ask PC for contact information of just a few select residents (based on country of same origin or med school) because it will give the vibe that I'm trying to curry favors from current residents who belong to my country of origin or med school.

Regarding asking for interview, do you think it's a better idea to send an email to PD and cc PC so if PD is then thinks that an applicant should be given an interview even though the initial filter threw it out, he can ask PC to send an invite?

I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

I appreciate your expert advice and it's really a window into what's unknown to lot of us..at least it's to me.

I have a question about DO applicants that submit both COMLEX and USMLE scores to a program.

Let's say I meet the program's requirements for the USMLE, but not for the COMLEX. Will I be filtered out based on not meeting their requirement for COMLEX?

For example, let's say a program wants 600+ COMLEX or 230+ USMLE. I meet the USMLE requirement, but I have a sub-600 COMLEX - will an auto-filter exclude me? Or will I still be included based on hitting their USMLE mark? I chose to release my COMLEX to programs because I didn't want to seem like I was "hiding" something. It's still a decent score, high 500s. Applying EM, if that matters.

Thanks!

I've been calling a PC for 3 days (Since thurs) to schedule a interview but no response - always get a "leave a message". I emailed her today to schedule my interview hoping she reads e-mail instead. How soon should I call back to check if I don't get an e-amil response

Also what is an acknwoledgement - I've seen some ppl post that they got an "acknwoledgement" but not an interview

I have a question about DO applicants that submit both COMLEX and USMLE scores to a program.

Let's say I meet the program's requirements for the USMLE, but not for the COMLEX. Will I be filtered out based on not meeting their requirement for COMLEX?

For example, let's say a program wants 600+ COMLEX or 230+ USMLE. I meet the USMLE requirement, but I have a sub-600 COMLEX - will an auto-filter exclude me? Or will I still be included based on hitting their USMLE mark? I chose to release my COMLEX to programs because I didn't want to seem like I was "hiding" something. It's still a decent score, high 500s. Applying EM, if that matters.

Thanks!

Yes, No and Maybe. All three answers are possible because you're asking program specific questions. Some places use a hard filter and never look back. Some places use a filter then look briefly at the apps that get tossed, some places actually look at every app. It's my experience that programs will not disclose their special sauce.

Thank you so much for creating this thread! It's been immensely helpful already.

I have a relatively specific question: I am applying a competitive specialty and still do not have my home chairman's letter uploaded. He has not uploaded this for any of the students applying from my school in this specialty and the hope is that he will have it done later this week. My question is: I have 3 letters from outside institutions already uploaded. I have a 4th (not assigned) from my home institution from an MD who is not the chair. Should I go ahead and assign this 4th letter or wait for the chair's? My concern is that several places have indicated that they begin to review applications today and I don't want to be filtered out because I only have 3 letters assigned. Should I reach out to PCs?

Thanks!

Thank you so much for creating this thread! It's been immensely helpful already.

I have a relatively specific question: I am applying a competitive specialty and still do not have my home chairman's letter uploaded. He has not uploaded this for any of the students applying from my school in this specialty and the hope is that he will have it done later this week. My question is: I have 3 letters from outside institutions already uploaded. I have a 4th (not assigned) from my home institution from an MD who is not the chair. Should I go ahead and assign this 4th letter or wait for the chair's? My concern is that several places have indicated that they begin to review applications today and I don't want to be filtered out because I only have 3 letters assigned. Should I reach out to PCs?

Thanks!

Determine which of the programs you applied to don't require a Chair letter, and assign the letter you already have to those programs. DO NOT assign that 4th letter to any programs that do require a Chair's letter, or you will not meet that requirement since you can only have four letters. I don't think reaching out to PCs would make a difference--they can offer sympathy but can't delay the review process or promise to hold a spot until your Chair letter comes. The good news is that it's impossible to review every application at once, so your Chair may well upload the letter before programs that require it know it's missing.

I asked this on another thread, but figured I'd ask it here as well.

Do schools usually give preference to students from their home institution? My Step 1 is way below average for my home institution (which is ranked a Top 10 hospital in its field), but my clinical grades are above average and my Step 2 was 251. Plus I've brought it up to the PD multiple times that I want to stay at my home institution, and wrote a separate PS for my home program that was proofread by my PD. Do you think I still won't be ranked highly at my home institution because of my Step 1 score? :( I know this varies amongst institutions, but just don't want to get my hopes up for no reason. Any input?

Would really appreciate some insight but is there any reason not to release my Step 2 CK? For DO students, does it help at programs to have both Step 1 and 2 even if my Step 2 is lackluster? I'm leaning towards submitting it.

DO Student
Step 1: 232
Step 2: 231

I'm just another student but I would lean against submitting it. Your step 1 was above average, your step 2 is below average. It will do nothing for you, I'm pretty certain. In the least, wait until a PD or PC responds.

I asked this on another thread, but figured I'd ask it here as well.

Do schools usually give preference to students from their home institution? My Step 1 is way below average for my home institution (which is ranked a Top 10 hospital in its field), but my clinical grades are above average and my Step 2 was 251. Plus I've brought it up to the PD multiple times that I want to stay at my home institution, and wrote a separate PS for my home program that was proofread by my PD. Do you think I still won't be ranked highly at my home institution because of my Step 1 score? :( I know this varies amongst institutions, but just don't want to get my hopes up for no reason. Any input?

It will vary based on the number of home applicants there are and the number that want/need to stay. The strength of the applicant pool certainly factors into the final ranking decisions. All you can do is express strong interest, stress your clinical abilities and your good fit for the program during your interview, and rank the program accordingly in February. They aren't going to give you any guarantees, and my recommendation is to never get your heart set on just one place.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing a lot of below average Step 1 / above average Step 2 this year.

I was just wondering in general. Is it true that your scores don't matter when it comes time to ranking applicants and that your interaction, interpersonal skills, and your personality is what determines where you will get ranked? Also do programs generally rank all applicants?

I was just wondering in general. Is it true that your scores don't matter when it comes time to ranking applicants and that your interaction, interpersonal skills, and your personality is what determines where you will get ranked? Also do programs generally rank all applicants?

There is very little that is universally true (or not true). Some programs screen for academics and use the interview to find the best personality fit. Some programs maintain academics as their priority in ranking and the interview is a formality to make sure an applicant has the minimum social skills necessary to function in the program's environment. Most programs fall somewhere on the continuum between the extremes. For you, it really doesn't matter. Do not go into an interview thinking "where will they rank me?" because you'll never know. Send out your applications, accept interview offers, be on time, be your best self, smile, listen, ask questions pertinent to the things that matter to you, take notes so that you can remember your impressions. Those are the things you can control. In the end, rank the programs you visited in the order you'd like to attend. Do not rank any programs where you know you don't want to match. Inform your favorite program(s) of your choice if that makes you feel better. But find something to like about every program you ranked, because you could end up there.

3 interviews so far out of 49 apps, ~1/3 of which are West Coast. DO student applying ACGME Rads, USMLE 260+ both Steps. Two questions:

1. When should I start freaking out? I've heard I should have ~7 interviews by mid-October.
2. Is there a "soft deadline" where I can add more applications without programs dismissing me for obviously using them as a backup?

Huge thanks to all the faculty and resident contributors. Even if it's just speculation, it helps ease our neuroses.

Last edited:
Would really appreciate some insight but is there any reason not to release my Step 2 CK? For DO students, does it help at programs to have both Step 1 and 2 even if my Step 2 is lackluster? I'm leaning towards submitting it.

DO Student
Step 1: 232
Step 2: 231

Just release it. If you are applying to an ACGME program, they will want to see that you passed it. 232 and 231 are essentially the same.

Just release it. If you are applying to an ACGME program, they will want to see that you passed it. 232 and 231 are essentially the same.
No they aren't. One is above the mean for it's respective test, the other is 1/2 a standard deviation BELOW the mean. The average step 2 score is 240.

No they aren't. One is above the mean for it's respective test, the other is 1/2 a standard deviation BELOW the mean. The average step 2 score is 240.

It's not like it's a failure and I'm sure the programs would rather see it passed. I don't see it being a killer, personally.

Hey guys I have an IV scheduled late at Jan. 8 but I think its very late. Can programs cancel interviews if they feel they have enough qualified candidates? Should I schedule an earlier date to be on the safe side?

Hey guys I have an IV scheduled late at Jan. 8 but I think its very late. Can programs cancel interviews if they feel they have enough qualified candidates? Should I schedule an earlier date to be on the safe side?

Jan 8 is not that late. I heard crazy stuff about programs interviewing on February 8th last year. That's late. I suppose some program somewhere cancels interviews, but most places target a number that they want based on past performance and plan accordingly. Jan 8 is Ok.

Programs are not going to cancel interview days. We've interviewed some of our top choices on the last day, and we put them at the top of the list.

Reactions: 4 users
Needed some advice.

I was invited for an interview from a program which is a 9 hr flight with 2 connections. There are 4 other programs in the same city that I've applied to but haven't heard back. How long should I wait before I send them an email stating I'll be in the area for another interview and I'd really like to interview with there program etc? Should I even email them?

Needed some advice.

I was invited for an interview from a program which is a 9 hr flight with 2 connections. There are 4 other programs in the same city that I've applied to but haven't heard back. How long should I wait before I send them an email stating I'll be in the area for another interview and I'd really like to interview with there program etc? Should I even email them?
There's no right answer here. But I'd definitely accept the offer you have and then, if you haven't heard anything from the other places in a couple of weeks, then maybe send an email. Also, check the specialty forum you're applying in and take a look at the interview offer thread (most have them) to get an idea if those places have already started inviting folks.

Question for PD or PC:
I will be leaving for missionary trip on Sat to Asia. I got an invite from one of the IM programs I applied to for a "get to know everyone event" next Friday. This is a separate event from the dinner the night before the interview.

Obviously this is program dependent but how much would this weigh on their admission decision - obviously it wouldn't be fianancially feasible to fly back.

Question for PD or PC:
I will be leaving for missionary trip on Sat to Asia. I got an invite from one of the IM programs I applied to for a "get to know everyone event" next Friday. This is a separate event from the dinner the night before the interview.

Obviously this is program dependent but how much would this weigh on their admission decision - obviously it wouldn't be fianancially feasible to fly back.

Doesn't really matter. Social events are not the determining factor in ranking. Your interviews are. Social events are *primarily* for the candidates and *primarily* a means of improving recruitment. Only rarely are people disqualified or moved (significantly) up the rank list through these events. Residents will often text or tell me about someone that they really liked or didn't like. About 2-3 times a season we find someone looked great on paper and was just awful in person. These are not subtle findings, they are usually glaringly obvious. Sometimes residents will report really "liking" someone and I'll either be "meh" or "yeah, I can see it". In the end, those things might make a small change to the rank, but not a big change.

Couples matching here, significant other and I have gotten interviews from different programs and have set up interviews. We are trying to go to as many interviews as we can together just to get a better idea of the programs, minimize costs, etc. Is it too early to send out those "I am interested" emails to programs also saying that significant other has an interview at the same school but different program. I know it is early, but some of the interview slots are filling up, and if we were able to get interviews earlier, we might have a chance at matching our dates. And if it is just too early and annoying, when would be a good time to send these emails?

Couples matching here, significant other and I have gotten interviews from different programs and have set up interviews. We are trying to go to as many interviews as we can together just to get a better idea of the programs, minimize costs, etc. Is it too early to send out those "I am interested" emails to programs also saying that significant other has an interview at the same school but different program. I know it is early, but some of the interview slots are filling up, and if we were able to get interviews earlier, we might have a chance at matching our dates. And if it is just too early and annoying, when would be a good time to send these emails?

It's hard enough just to get two programs to invite both parties in a couple's match, I wouldn't rely too much on matching dates. Not that it hasn't happened a few times in my experience, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

If you send an "I'm interested" email to programs, avoid any phrasing that makes it sound like you feel entitled to an interview just because your SO received one. I know applicants don't generally mean it to sound that way, but that's how it can come across. Maybe more of an, in case you are considering me for an interview, I'd like to let you know that my partner has been offered an interview with [fill in dept name] and has scheduled his interview for [fill in the date]. That way the program knows that if you are invited, you're likely to come, even if the dates don't line up.

3 interviews so far out of 49 apps, ~1/3 of which are West Coast. DO student applying ACGME Rads, USMLE 260+ both Steps. Two questions:

1. When should I start freaking out? I've heard I should have ~7 interviews by mid-October.
2. Is there a "soft deadline" where I can add more applications without programs dismissing me for obviously using them as a backup?

Huge thanks to all the faculty and resident contributors. Even if it's just speculation, it helps ease our neuroses.

Anyone able to touch on this?

Good luck, kirbymiester...hang in there! :luck:

You had been kind enough to offer advice earlier about Step prep sources to my camp...our daughter also smoked the Steps (93rd percentile on both) and is now headed to Ortho...she had looked at Derm (too boring, and she likes real surgery), ENT (too many ear tubes and tonsillectomies in practice), Ophth (too narrow in focus), but fortunately found her calling on a late elective rotation.

FWIW, Ortho invites are dead slow vis-a-vis other specialties (normally mid-October at least), but she already has 1 interview at a solid program. Will pull for you also!
:)

hello!
I was notified today that my 4th LOR was uploaded. This is my only M4 and probably my strongest LOR, I have 2 from 3rd year and one from department chair. It's almost a month after I submitted ERAS and programs may have downloaded my app already. How could I get programs to know that I have this new LOR? or would it just be brought up during my interview at this point?

How much does not attending the pre-interview dinner hurt your chances of matching at a program? There are situations in which my only option for scheduling one program for interview results in having to miss a second program's dinner in order to do so - should I just do this or does it significantly hurt my chances at the second program?

I missed the dinner at the IM program I ultimately matched at because of travel. I don't think it hurts anything.