Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just posted a thread with my question before seeing your thread here, but the gist of it is: in the last couple years, I completed my residency in the US (it was a challenging, intense, and high-acuity program), passed my boards, and have been in private practice. Now, I am looking to retrain in a slightly different field. There is a legitimate and valid motivation for the switch, but I would prefer to refrain from posting it publicly because it is rather unusual.

How would you recommend I approach this? Even aside from already being board certified in the US, I have a very broad and unique portfolio. Another question I have is if you think there is any possibility of getting even partial credit for my initial residency rotations.

Thanks!

The easiest question to answer is about credit; there is no partial credit. I had a trainee train in a program for a few years, then switch to one of the specialties I manage. Even though there was some cross over, he still had to start from the beginning.

Your personal statement is the perfect place to write about how you got to where you are today, and why you want to train in a different field. I don't think it is all that uncommon for people to switch specialties. Explain why, what it is that you find appealing to this new area. Highlight your accomplishments, e.g. passed boards on first try, any outstanding outcomes in patient care, etc. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest question to answer is about credit; there is no partial credit. I had a trainee train in a program for a few years, then switch to one of the specialties I manage. Even though there was some cross over, he still had to start from the beginning.

Depends on the specialty you started in, the specialty you switched to, and the discretion of the PD. The most extreme case is psychiatry, I've seen several programs give full years worth of credit for people in almost any specialty. There's so much leeway in the psych requirements that their other specialty counts towards some electives as well as IM/neuro months.

IM, I think you can get up to 6 months worth of credit for prior residency in a related field at the discretion of the PD. This is rarely done to allow someone to graduate early, but they may let you have an extra elective or two if they feel nice. That leaves them short an intern for an inpatient month though.

To PDs : Do sub I grades matter? I get conflicting responses.
Grades obtained before the transcripts go out may matter, if the subi is in your field of interest.

Grades obtained after transcripts go out on the other hand... Lets just say the urology subi my med school made me do (which I did in April, the month before I graduated) might not have had the best of all comments... (school has since gotten rid of the requirement that all students be forced to do a surgical subi)

Prematch offers--what is the latest date of such an offer you have seen or heard. My CS results come out early February. How long would a prematch program wait to make an offer?

Prematch offers--what is the latest date of such an offer you have seen or heard. My CS results come out early February. How long would a prematch program wait to make an offer?
For residency, outside of a few malignant programs that take 100% IMGs and are primarily located in NYC, there is no such thing as a prematch offer. The all in policy has been enforced since ~2013.

Is telling a program that you plan on ranking them at the top of the list the same as telling them you are being ranked #1.? My intention was to let the program know I am ranking them high.

Is telling a program that you plan on ranking them at the top of the list the same as telling them you are being ranked #1.? My intention was to let the program know I am ranking them high.
You are correct about the nuance of phrasing: "at the top" does not mean the same as "you're #1." Programs mostly understand that "at the top" means that you are ranking another program (or programs) ahead of them. In most circumstances for most programs, nothing that you say or don't say will affect how you are ultimately ranked. If you are ranked in a position to match, you'll stay there because perhaps the program(s) you like better doesn't rank you as high and we'll still get you. If you are ranked lower on our list we won't move you ahead of people we thought were a better fit. Send those emails if you like, but don't stress too much over the wording. They don't mean much on our end.

Reactions: 1 user
Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie
Hi there Freddie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of our questions. As an international student who is entering an American osteopathic medical school, and is nervous about his eventual residency situation, what words of advice might you have for me? I apologize if I am asking the wrong person.

I am wondering what is your chance of getting an interview if you are on a waiting list. Usually how many applicants do programs have on the waiting list?

Hi there Freddie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of our questions. As an international student who is entering an American osteopathic medical school, and is nervous about his eventual residency situation, what words of advice might you have for me? I apologize if I am asking the wrong person.

I think this is a question that just about anyone on this thread can answer. Which is good as you will get a lot of good advice.

First and foremost, if/when you know what kind of doctor you want to be (i.e. primary care, ob/gyn, allergist, surgeon, etc), find someone at your school who does what you want to do and ask them to be your mentor. If you want to go into academic medicine, you should work with someone who is a prolific writer to get your foot in that door. I think what I'm trying to write is, figure out what you want to do, then seek out the best people at your institution to mentor you in that area. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users

"At the top of my list" = My program might be somewhere on your rank list.

I am wondering what is your chance of getting an interview if you are on a waiting list. Usually how many applicants do programs have on the waiting list?

This will be very program specific.

"I'll be ranking you highly" = "I was told to say this to improve my chances of matching"

"I really enjoyed the interview day" = "I have no memory of even being in that state, but apparently I was"

"How do you evaluate residents?" = "I was told I had to have a question and this one seemed the most boring"

Reactions: 5 users
Hi there Freddie,

You've been asking this same question multiple places, and the reason you're not getting a "good" answer is that, it doesn't exist. Your situation is unusual enough that the # of other people in your situation is, statistically, 0 (+/- SD).

So the generic advice for any pre-med applies to you too.

1. Take USMLE 1 and 2CK
1a. Throat punch anyone who tells you not to do the above​
2. Do very well on those tests...better on 2CK. Preferably 2SD above the mean on both but at least 1SD.
2a. You should also do well on COMLEX​
3. Do well in pre-clinicals and much, much better on your clinicals
4. Do at least 1 (maybe 3 depending on your planned specialty) away rotations and get fantastic (not good, not great...fantastic) LORs from them.
5. Try to do something about your immigration status in the next 4 years. Not needing a visa opens up a lot of doors. I'm not saying you need a Green Card marriage or anything. But it wouldn't hurt.
6. Once you've figured out what you want to be when you grow up, apply broadly and realistically. A visa requiring DO isn't getting a Derm, Rad Onc or integrated plastics spot so don't bother. And if you decide on IM or Peds, applying to the "Top 20" programs is a bad idea too. Recognize that, as unfair as it may be, pedigree matters in medicine.
7. Realize that if you finish your program, match to a residency and finish that residency (+/- fellowship), you will be a doctor with a job. And that is ultimately what really matters.

Reactions: 8 users
I did a couple of late away rotations at the top programs, and got the honors with the excellent comments, but these grades were not on my transcripts and Dean's letter. What should I do? should I send an updated transcript to the programs I applied to increase my chances for interview invites?

So should we mention how high we are ranking the program or do we just not mention it?

2. Do very well on those tests...better on 2CK. Preferably 2SD above the mean on both but at least 1SD.
To clarify what scores that advice translates to, it is preferable to get 270 on Step 1 and 276 on Step 2CK. Is this even reasonable advice?

If the department PD/Chair/other influential person at your institution offers to call one program to endorse you, when is the optimal time to ask for this favor? Before interview invites are sent? After invites are sent and you were not invited? After interviewing?

I am a competitive applicant applying to a competitive field where I have heard through the grapevine that such things can make a difference.

If the department PD/Chair/other influential person at your institution offers to call one program to endorse you, when is the optimal time to ask for this favor? Before interview invites are sent? After invites are sent and you were not invited? After interviewing?

I am a competitive applicant applying to a competitive field where I have heard through the grapevine that such things can make a difference.
This kind of thing will have a much bigger impact on the PD who has already interviewed you than on the one who has either rejected or ignored you.

This kind of thing will have a much bigger impact on the PD who has already interviewed you than on the one who has either rejected or ignored you.

Right. Every year there are applicants who get initially rejected and then have a huge string pulled to reverse that. It happens. It's rare. You have to be conservative with your requests so that you don't annoy people.

If you have "enough" interviews, then have your xxx email the PD of your top program. If your dream program has declined to interview you, you could use your favor on trying to reverse that. It's up to you.

My experience is that we do, actually, occasionally overlook good candidates and that I'm, occasionally, happy to have this brought to my attention.

On the other hand, once you've interviewed and been ranked by my committee, how much would I change that ranking based on an email from my Chair? Hard to say.

My preference is to know early in the process when someone is going to call in a favor to get an applicant interviewed. For my program's interview day structure, it's hard to arrange last minute add-ins without negatively impacting the day, so I want to know before all of my available dates fill. Results are variable (as with most things). Sometimes it's obvious that the person in question wouldn't be a good fit in either personality or academics. Sometimes we get pleasantly surprised and end up ranking someone pretty highly who we wouldn't ordinarily have considered for an interview. The best (from my perspective) was when one of the Vice Presidents pulled strings to get someone interviewed (child of a Trustee, I think), and I was called into a high-level meeting only to find that the applicant had already been reviewed, offered the interview and scheduled on her own merits.

How often do programs recheck for new applications? I applied to some more programs but how likely is it that anyone will even look at it?

Given that most of my rejections ( and there have been quite a couple) start by stating that they received over 4000 applications I think programs have enough to pick from without having to look at new applications but hey, who knows?

Thank you for this thread, it has been most helpful!

I can't find an answer to my question anywhere else so I'm hoping you can help. I initially applied to interviews for both ACGME and AOA, not knowing which route I would take and have done interviews for FM at both. I am now leaning very heavily towards matching ACGME. However, there is an AOA location I interviewed at and was very impressed with that I later learned participated in both matches. Since I have interviewed there already for AOA, is there some way to go about being included in their ACGME rankings without having to reapply and reinterview? Would emailing the PD to let them know that I am now looking at going ACGME but am still very interested in their program be helpful? Thanks!

How often do programs recheck for new applications? I applied to some more programs but how likely is it that anyone will even look at it?

I think it depends on the program. I am not checking to see if we have received any new applications, not sure if my PD is either. He checks all applications, does not rely on me.

I'm not sure how to advise you on what to do. Unless you have a darn good reason (e.g. stuck in the jungles of Africa saving lives as part of a sub-I and had no internet access, or even a computer) you did not to apply to these programs at the start, they will know they are your second choice and may not be interested.

I can't find an answer to my question anywhere else so I'm hoping you can help. I initially applied to interviews for both ACGME and AOA, not knowing which route I would take and have done interviews for FM at both. I am now leaning very heavily towards matching ACGME. However, there is an AOA location I interviewed at and was very impressed with that I later learned participated in both matches. Since I have interviewed there already for AOA, is there some way to go about being included in their ACGME rankings without having to reapply and reinterview? Would emailing the PD to let them know that I am now looking at going ACGME but am still very interested in their program be helpful? Thanks!

Wow! This a new dilemma, one that I would imagine few of us have dealt with. Aren't AOA and ACGME combined now, as long as the AOA program has been accredited by the ACGME? If so, may not be an issue. If not, I think it would be okay to tell the PD you are really interested in ranking them as an ACGME program versus an AOA program.

Have you asked your advisor? This is new territory for a lot of us.

Given that most of my rejections ( and there have been quite a couple) start by stating that they received over 4000 applications I think programs have enough to pick from without having to look at new applications but hey, who knows?

Today one of the programs, in my rejection email, said they received over 5800 applications. It's insane this year!

From what I understand, you do not have to reinterview. You just have to add the program to your NRMP match rank list and I think the program should be notified that you are participating in the ACGME match. I just interviewed at a program that participates in both matches and asked which match they recommend I go through. The PD said if I went through AOA match and didn't match, then I could still match to the program through the ACGME as long as I didn't scramble. The PC told me that their system shows them what matches their applicants are registered with so they know whether to include them on the rank list, but that she would send applicants an email a week beforehand asking which match we are planning to participate through to make sure.

I think you should send an email to the PD/PC to let them know which match you are participating in after you make your final decision.

Been lurking here for a while as well....and I am also a PC. Figured I'd join the conversation. I really love what I do and am willing to field any questions as it pertains to application process, interviews, match, etc. Understand this stressful time and willing to relieve your anxiety in any way I can. Good luck everyone!

PSA: Also will not answer program specific questions.

Ask away!

Anyone get an email from ERAS saying they changed "expected MD" to just "MD"?

Sounds like a question only the PD can answer for you. Most dual programs are highly integrated and are happy either way. On the other hand, you are announcing to them that you are not their top choice -- otherwise you'd rank them #1 in the AOA match and only participate in the ACGME match if you didn't match there.

If a program theoretically filtered by MD graduates would that mean they did not see the apps of the "expected MD" ones?

Hey I was wondering how common it is to receive interviews in November and December and if you receive them in these months are you a second tier candidate? Also by november are applications still being reviewed or have the majority or applications been put on hold at that time?

Welcome gms4hi! Nice to have another PC join in the discussion!
I'm wondering what to say if I decide to call PC at the programs who have not sent me any acknowledgment but have sent interview invites to others I know. It's certainly possible that I didn't make the cut and that's why I didn't hear from them. I'm willing to do whatever it takes at this point to show that I'm interested candidate and give me a chance?

How can one increase chances of getting an interview at this point? Call PC and ask if there's possibility of getting an interview? Write a handwritten letter addressed to PD showing interest so if they have some slot still available they might offer me one?

I'm receiving quite a few emails from PDs/PCs in my ERAS mailbox saying something to the effect of "we have received xxxxx applications for xx number of slots and are unable to interview all candidates. etc" Should I reply to them saying if an interview slots opens up, I'm still interested and would love to interview there?

Hey I was wondering how common it is to receive interviews in November and December and if you receive them in these months are you a second tier candidate? Also by november are applications still being reviewed or have the majority or applications been put on hold at that time?

Not necessarily. It could mean you are on a waitlist and there was a cancellation and you were up next. Could also be programs send invitations in waves for certain dates. But again, every program is different. Some programs have minimum requirements, others don't. Entirely dependent on what the PD's goals are and how he/she runs the show.

Last edited:
Welcome gms4hi! Nice to have another PC join in the discussion!
I'm wondering what to say if I decide to call PC at the programs who have not sent me any acknowledgment but have sent interview invites to others I know. It's certainly possible that I didn't make the cut and that's why I didn't hear from them. I'm willing to do whatever it takes at this point to show that I'm interested candidate and give me a chance?

How can one increase chances of getting an interview at this point? Call PC and ask if there's possibility of getting an interview? Write a handwritten letter addressed to PD showing interest so if they have some slot still available they might offer me one?

If you haven't heard anything from the program (a definite "yes" or "no") calling can't hurt your chances. If anything it brings your name to mind and if you are on a bubble position, it brings you back to mind. I wouldn't straight up ask for an interview, but express interest, ask where you stand, that's all fine. Does it make a difference? Sometimes. We get hundreds of applications, and the ones I remember most are the ones who have initiated contact with me. I will advise, there also needs to be a balance, don't abuse this, be reasonable, be courteous, and respect this busy time. At the end of the day, I convey to my PD these needs and he makes the decision.

I'm receiving quite a few emails from PDs/PCs in my ERAS mailbox saying something to the effect of "we have received xxxxx applications for xx number of slots and are unable to interview all candidates. etc" Should I reply to them saying if an interview slots opens up, I'm still interested and would love to interview there?

That's the nature of the beast. Statistically, we can hundreds of qualified applications and only really have the capacity to interview about 10% for only a few spots. That's usually about how it goes, try not to take rejections from some institutions personally - the one you receive could be one your classmate doesn't and vice versa. You can ask the PC that question, as I have received some emails like that...does it help? Depends. I don't mean to sound vague, but a lot of this type of matter is subjective at best. Again, every program is different, but like I said in another post, if you'd like your name to stay in the PC's head, contact them...but don't abuse it.

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply! I'm wondering how much of away PC holds in getting an interview. As you said PD decides but PC can get the message across to PD. Does this mean if PC get conveys to PD that this person showed interest, is that enough reason for PD to look into the application? I thought there are filters and if the application was already filtered out based on preset criteria, do I still have a prayer?

Can I call on behalf of my spouse and identify myself as such ("I'm calling on behalf of my wife/husband... or simply say I'm so and so candidate and would love to come in for an interview if at all possible.

How about writing a handwritten note specifically to PCs vs PDs to show interest? I know in email, it seems like a good idea to address it to PD and cc PC.

Sorry for too many questions but as you know, application season is a tough for candidates and your help is much appreciated!!

If you haven't heard anything from the program (a definite "yes" or "no") calling can't hurt your chances. If anything it brings your name to mind and if you are on a bubble position, it brings you back to mind. I wouldn't straight up ask for an interview, but express interest, ask where you stand, that's all fine. Does it make a difference? Sometimes. We get hundreds of applications, and the ones I remember most are the ones who have initiated contact with me. I will advise, there also needs to be a balance, don't abuse this, be reasonable, be courteous, and respect this busy time. At the end of the day, I convey to my PD these needs and he makes the decision.

I have already sent emails of interest to programs, thinking of writing letter and sending them in the mail. Can I simply copy the email without a whole lot of changes and send it or should I come up with whole new content for the letter? What are the chances that PD/PC will look at the letter and think didn't we receive similar email week or so ago?

Any PD/PC can comment as to how common was it that a US Senior put Expected MD vs MD. Just wondering how neurotic I should feel about this.

I have already sent emails of interest to programs, thinking of writing letter and sending them in the mail. Can I simply copy the email without a whole lot of changes and send it or should I come up with whole new content for the letter? What are the chances that PD/PC will look at the letter and think didn't we receive similar email week or so ago?

High. Sending multiple ones like that both mail and email probably won't help, and the PC will likely be annoyed that you have sent so many forms of letters (especially if it's verbatim). They(We) are very busy not only with recruitment but also running our program at the same time. Multiple types of verbatim contact likely will be ignored. For example, I remember phone numbers (regionally) if you have called more than once. I remember your name if you have contacted me at some point; maybe I have a good memory. My advice is know what amount of contact is appropriate, and as I said above ^^ don't abuse this contact. Unfortunately, if you have already received a decline from that institution it's unlikely that'll you be on a waitlist, whether you express your sincere interest, say you're willing to travel last minute, etc.

What would you say is the time by which most interviews are already doled out?

This is entirely program dependent. I would say be aware of the number of programs in your interested specialty and follow the threads here for how many place have distributed interviews. If you haven't heard from a program either way, you likely still have a small chance. If you've received a decline, that's that (most likely). Out of respect for applicants, programs will send declines so applicants know how to manage their interview season and out of respect for the applicant as we understand how stressful and busy it can be with travel.

Any comment on the "expected MD" and potential for screening out?