Aspen Dental being too aggressive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for posting on your forum. I am a veterinarian and have been on the veterinary forum previously.
I am currently in a tough situation and need advice.

I have never had a cavity in my life (or any dental problem), always went to the dentist every 6 months. Moved to a new city and went to an Aspen Dental. The doctor seemed pretty incompetent to me - dropping his exam gloves on the floor, accidentally spitting on the outside of them, never Introducing himself, and telling me that I should feel really guilty for going more than 6 months without a cleaning (I was working 100 hrs/week and had just moved across the country).

Anyway, he said I had 4 cavities but that they were the type I couldn't prevent, some kind of fissure, and that I have them because "you are not 6 years old anymore / that's what happens when you age."

None of my other 4 siblings, all older than I am, have cavities so it seemed weird to me to tell me that they can't be prevented. Then he told me it would cost $700 to fill all 4 and that I would have to do it in two separate visits.

Is it true that I will just get cavities with age? Should I trust this guy? Is Aspen Dental legit? Any help would be much appreciated. Should he clean my teeth before decdIng I have 4 cavities?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say research and go to a good family dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are some good doc's that work for SOME aspen practices. however, like mentioned above, if you'd like a 2nd opinion by all means seek out a good "private practice doc". (i personally take aspen pt's on a regular basis for 2nd opinions and they follow through with my tx plan)

with that said, if you do have deep grooves and fissures in your teeth then its very likely you may have something going on (ie: a cavity). some dents are more conservative than others.

perfect example… i had a pt today actually … that had what looked like small pit/fissure cavities on a molar in UL. turned into near pulp exposure with pulp cap (medicine inside of a filling) and DL cusp replacement (read, really big cavity). even presented to pt that they will likely need a crown due to size of filling. i would have never guessed that based on xray and clinical appearance.

take away statement… show 100 doc's a set of xrays and exams, and you'll get 100 different treatment plans.

Do you think Aspen Dental advertises FREE exam and FREE xray cause they're nice and wanna help you out? Every patient will come out of their office with a couple thousand $$$ treatment plan.

My wife was told she had 6 cavities by her new dentist who wanted to fill 3 of them the next day. She said OK, and didn't book the appointment on the way out. 14 years and 28 visits later...
Still no cavities with the new, new dentist. There are unprofessional criminals out there. Always get a second opinion when something doesn't sound right. I wanted polish up the size 12s and go back and kick his teeth in, but that would have been conduct unbecoming an officer. I think she sent a letter to the licensing board at the time. I'm sure he's still doing it and rolling out of there at 2 in his new Quattroporte.

Forgive me for posting on your forum. I am a veterinarian and have been on the veterinary forum previously.
I am currently in a tough situation and need advice.

I have never had a cavity in my life (or any dental problem), always went to the dentist every 6 months. Moved to a new city and went to an Aspen Dental. The doctor seemed pretty incompetent to me - dropping his exam gloves on the floor, accidentally spitting on the outside of them, never Introducing himself, and telling me that I should feel really guilty for going more than 6 months without a cleaning (I was working 100 hrs/week and had just moved across the country).

Anyway, he said I had 4 cavities but that they were the type I couldn't prevent, some kind of fissure, and that I have them because "you are not 6 years old anymore / that's what happens when you age."

None of my other 4 siblings, all older than I am, have cavities so it seemed weird to me to tell me that they can't be prevented. Then he told me it would cost $700 to fill all 4 and that I would have to do it in two separate visits.

Is it true that I will just get cavities with age? Should I trust this guy? Is Aspen Dental legit? Any help would be much appreciated. Should he clean my teeth before decdIng I have 4 cavities?

Thanks.

Lets stick to the OPs questions. If the doc seems incompetent, go find a new one. A lot of people's teeth get worse with age, its a part of life. Doesn't mean you'll get cavities as you age, but they happen, and it isn't the end of the world. Aspen Dental is legit, were you thinking they were an illegal business offerring dental services? Cleaning your teeth before your fillings is up to the dentist who saw you. As someone mentioned here earlier, you'll get varied opinions from different dentists. No one on here can really comment on your case without seeing proper radiographs and doing a clinical exam. I'd get a second opinion and mention your situation to the next dentist you see.

There is no way anyone on here can tell you if the dentist accurately dx you or not. It's possible to get caries - even 4 or more at a time. If you don't trust him/her then I would get a second opinion or a new. GL