ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard if the waitlist is moving?

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew so I hope one of you gets my seat!! Good luck, I loved this school, its just that I got into NYCOM which is close to my house and I won't have to move out lol

Thanks angryazn! I think I got your spot since I got a call yesterday stating that I was accepted. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Interview: Mar. 25th
Accepted pending an open seat by snail mail: April 7th
Actually accepted by phone call: April 13th

alternate list for me.
that means there's a chance! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'll be starting at SOMA this July (congrats to my fellow classmates and fingers crossed for all of you waiting!)

I have an extra room in a house near the school only a 5 min drive!

I'd prefer a female non-smoking roommate. If you're interested please PM me :)

This thread is pretty quiet...anyone going to be in Mesa this Thursday and Friday? I'll be flying down tomorrow morning, hope to see you guys there! :)

Just interviewed on Friday and it went great! It was definitely laid back and they do a good job of making you feel comfortable. Good luck to the last interview group in May!

I didn't interview Friday, but I was on campus as a "D.O. for a day", and I was at the ambassador lunch with the applicants. The students were so nice and helpful, I wish I had been an applicant this year! How did the interviews go for those that went?

I really love this school from everything I have seen so far--I was initially skeptical of the curriculum but they've completely sold me on it. I will definitely be applying here next cycle.

Are there any current students in the Phoenix (or really Surprise) CHC? I have some questions, if someone wants to PM me.

Last edited:
Hey Stefspets, I think I met you at the lunch haha. Anyway, the overall interview day was good and everyone was really nice. I hope I hear good things from them soon :) Good luck to you on your apps for 2012 :)

Okay, I'm bored right now just waiting, so I thought I'd post :)

To those wondering about waitlist movement, I know that they are still interviewing in May (on the 20th?) for waitlist spots, so maybe that's why the waitlist isn't seeing any movement yet.

Also, they are going to accept all those who are "accepted pending an open seat" first, and then go down the waitlist. People who interviewed on 4/22 have yet to hear back from the admissions committee, so that adds even more to the wait.

There probably won't be any significant movement until after May 15th when MD applicants have to commit to only one school, and people on the waitlist might not know if they've been accepted until up to the very first week of school. Now, that's kinda crazy and scary, and let's hope that situation doesn't happen to us right before school! :xf:

I know this is just common information, but I think it helps those who are wondering about the waitlist process :)

Last edited:
I'm from the 4/22 interview group. I emailed Amy today to make sure they had my updated grades and ask if any decisions had been made. She said I was accepted pending and that my letter was in the mail!!

I'm from the 4/22 interview group. I emailed Amy today to make sure they had my updated grades and ask if any decisions had been made. She said I was accepted pending and that my letter was in the mail!!

Well, since you started sharing.....I got an email from the interviewer I interviewed with and she unofficially told me I was "granted an acceptance" at SOMA as well! I know it's really "accepted pending an open seat", but man, was I excited to hear that from her! I want my letter now! :laugh:

Well, since you started sharing.....I got an email from the interviewer I interviewed with and she unofficially told me I was "granted an acceptance" at SOMA as well! I know it's really "accepted pending an open seat", but man, was I excited to hear that from her! I want my letter now! :laugh:

Congrats! Yeah I really want that official letterhead myself :D Do you know anything about when we should know whether we can start this fall or next?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Yeah I really want that official letterhead myself :D Do you know anything about when we should know whether we can start this fall or next?

I think they'll actually call us to let us know when an open seat becomes available. That's what I gathered from at least one other person's experience here on this thread. I'm pretty sure all the accepted pendings will be able to get in this year, based off the fact that ATSU-SOMA has accepted people off the waitlist for the last 2 years. I hope they call us soon! I want to tell my grandparents so bad lol :laugh:

Just got the official letter! Now all I need is for someone to drop their spot for this year, because I really want to start ASAP lol :laugh:

Good luck! I wish I was waiting with you but my app season is just about to get started. :)

going through the check list
1st deposit:hungover:one
2nd deposit: in
background check: done
transcripts:sent
Vaccination record: ? I am records of all of my vaccinations by they are from a variety of doctors offices. It seems to me that I need to see another doctor who will sign off on all of the vacinations, is that what other people have done? or does anyone have any suggestions?

Also what are people buying for laptops? I was thinking of spending around $600 dollars for a laptop and then spending another $600 on a tablet.

does anyone have a furnished room they could rent me out? maybe a 1st year that is leaving!

As far as vaccination records go, you should be able to get that info from the Health Department where you live. Most (if not all) states have a vaccine registry and you should be able to simply request them to complete a form listing all the shots you've received so far.

I've got all my deposits in, just need to send transcripts, but I'm going to wait till my grades from this semester (I'm graduating Thursday) are in.

Does anyone know roughly how many people are on the accepted-pending list? I'm on that list and I was just wondering about how long it would take to go through that list before they go on to the waitlist. I know it's really dependent on the number of people that withdraw their seats, but I was just curious and anxious lol :laugh:

Does anyone know roughly how many people are on the accepted-pending list? I'm on that list and I was just wondering about how long it would take to go through that list before they go on to the waitlist. I know it's really dependent on the number of people that withdraw their seats, but I was just curious and anxious lol :laugh:

I'm wondering about this too. I want to know how long it will take them to get to the regular waitlist (medium ranking). It is somewhat demoralizing to see people interviewing after me and getting these "accepted pending open seats". I am on the medium waitlist.

Does anyone have Amy Stradling's email address? I can never get ahold of the admissions people. It always goes straight to voicemail.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about this too. I want to know how long it will take them to get to the regular waitlist (medium ranking). It is somewhat demoralizing to see people interviewing after me and getting these "accepted pending open seats". I am on the medium waitlist.

Does anyone have Amy Stradling's email address? I can never get ahold of the admissions people. It always goes straight to voicemail.

Here's Amy's email: AStradling[at]atsu.edu
Be sure to let us know what she says to your question. Thanks! :)

And hang in there, you'll make it :thumbup:

Here's Amy's email: AStradling[at]atsu.edu
Be sure to let us know what she says to your question. Thanks! :)

And hang in there, you'll make it :thumbup:

So I sent Amy Stradling an email about it and she said that they are in the process of offering acceptances to 'accepted pending' applicants. After they offer acceptances to the applicants on the 'accepted pending' list, they will move on to the alternate list (medium waitlist). The alternate list hasn't moved yet.

So I'm going back to how they said it could be any time between now and July that the waitlist moves. And hopefully like in previous years, they will accept most (or all) of the students on the waitlist.

Thanks for the reply, SavoirFaire :)

I think that they'll be able to go through most, if not all, the waitlist based on the fact they were able to offer everyone off the waitlist a seat for the past two years. I think that's pretty good stats.

And just curious, have you heard back from any other schools, or is SOMA your first choice? For me, it's the only one that accepted me out of the 18+ schools I applied to this cycle, so I'm definitely hoping someone withdraws soon lol :laugh:

Unfortunately I'm not so sure about SOMA going through the whole waitlist for the past 2 years. Afaik they have gotten through the accepted pending list the past 2 years and have gotten into the waitlist as well. At least our group wasn't told how far into it they got. I'm sure they get to the medium ranked part of it at least though but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Did everyone from the April 22nd interview group hear back from admissions? I haven't received a letter yet. Kinda freaking out. If I don't receive one by tomorrow Im thinking emailing Amy.

About the waitlists, I really do hope all waitlisters are accepted by July. During the orientation on 4/22 we are reminded how this year SOMA received record-breaking number of applications so that means more students are on the waitlist than previous years.

Unfortunately I'm not so sure about SOMA going through the whole waitlist for the past 2 years. Afaik they have gotten through the accepted pending list the past 2 years and have gotten into the waitlist as well. At least our group wasn't told how far into it they got. I'm sure they get to the medium ranked part of it at least though but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I think you're right, because I just went through my old email, and that's what it basically said in Amy's interview confirmation email:

"We do want to make sure you are aware that at this time our class is full and we are accepting pending an open seat. The past two years we did ultimately have a seat for all our pending accepts, but we cannot guarantee that will always be the case."

But I think you're also right that they will probably be able to get through the waitlist as well! Sorry for the misinformation on my part!! Best of luck to those who are waiting and for those who are interviewing on the 20th! :xf:

Did everyone from the April 22nd interview group hear back from admissions? I haven't received a letter yet. Kinda freaking out. If I don't receive one by tomorrow Im thinking emailing Amy.

About the waitlists, I really do hope all waitlisters are accepted by July. During the orientation on 4/22 we are reminded how this year SOMA received record-breaking number of applications so that means more students are on the waitlist than previous years.

Both Colbare and I received letters on 5/2/11. We also knew ahead of time because Colbare emailed Amy and I emailed a thanks to my interviewers.

Good luck to you!! :xf:

Thanks for the reply, SavoirFaire :)

I think that they'll be able to go through most, if not all, the waitlist based on the fact they were able to offer everyone off the waitlist a seat for the past two years. I think that's pretty good stats.

And just curious, have you heard back from any other schools, or is SOMA your first choice? For me, it's the only one that accepted me out of the 18+ schools I applied to this cycle, so I'm definitely hoping someone withdraws soon lol :laugh:

I'm waiting on SOMA and Midwestern - the two schools that invited me to interview. I am hoping a lot of people withdraw so we can get spots. :)

The thing about SOMA is that the curriculum is very different from the standard medical school curriculum and even from PBL. I imagine a good amount of people might be scared of the thought of moving to a completely different (and possibly uncertain) part of the country during their 2nd year. SOMA's curriculum is very bold and innovative with the CHC's. But I can see some people having problems with it if they want to stay in the same place for more than 1 year or if the style of lectures (recorded, electronic) isn't right for them. I imagine the waitlist moves around a lot because of how different SOMA is. SOMA really attracts a certain type of student.

I'm waiting on SOMA and Midwestern - the two schools that invited me to interview. I am hoping a lot of people withdraw so we can get spots. :)

The thing about SOMA is that the curriculum is very different from the standard medical school curriculum and even from PBL. I imagine a good amount of people might be scared of the thought of moving to a completely different (and possibly uncertain) part of the country during their 2nd year. SOMA's curriculum is very bold and innovative with the CHC's. But I can see some people having problems with it if they want to stay in the same place for more than 1 year or if the style of lectures (recorded, electronic) isn't right for them. I imagine the waitlist moves around a lot because of how different SOMA is. SOMA really attracts a certain type of student.

You're definitely right about SOMA's curriculum, but I welcome that sort of challenge :D Plus, there's a CHC really close to where I live now, so that's a factor for me as well.

Are you leaning more towards Midwestern or SOMA? :xf:

You're definitely right about SOMA's curriculum, but I welcome that sort of challenge :D Plus, there's a CHC really close to where I live now, so that's a factor for me as well.

Are you leaning more towards Midwestern or SOMA? :xf:

They're both great programs. I really liked Midwestern as well - great campus and atmosphere. At this point in the cycle I would go with whoever accepts me first. The thing about SOMA is that they seem to be moving slowly with their waitlists. They said it might not be until July and classes start in July. I can't imagine moving out there in like a week to get ready for class. I mean I understand if that's what needs to happen but I want out of waitlist-land. They don't really give a chance to make a decision between their school and another because they are waiting a long time to make decisions.

Bored again at work, so I'll post some info I got from Amy when I emailed her last week with some questions.

I asked Amy how far along they've gone through the accepted-pending list, and if they got to my interview group yet (4/22).

She replied that they've gotten to 9 people on the list, and have about 30 more to go through. They haven't accepted anyone from my interview group yet, but some are "high-priority" and should hear back soon.

They are still processing deposits that were made on the 1st, and then after that they'll have a better idea of how many open seats will become available. She also said it's likely they'll be offering more acceptances to the accepted-pending list later this week.

I didn't know that we were ranked, but apparently we are.....I really hope to be one of the ones to hear back this week, because I know it would be totally distressing to hear back during the first week of school! :xf:

I'm out house hunting in Gilbert today. It's getting HOT here, and I can only imagine how fast my brains will boil when it hits 110 in July! Despite the heat, it's very beautiful and I can't wait to move on down to AZ.

Hey y'all,

I was lurking on the ATSU/KCOM thread just now, and I saw that someone posted that the KCOM accepted-pending list is ranked. Assuming that SOMA's list is also ranked, seeing how they're both ATSU, then if you're on the accepted-pending list, and SOMA is your first choice, it's probably best to let them know that. By "ranked", it could mean by "GPA/MCAT or pure interest." That's what this person on the KCOM thread said anyway.

Does anyone else think this is true? Based on my email from Amy last week, it seems to be so. I think I'll write the Admissions Committee an email now :laugh:

Anyway, just 5 more days until MD applicants drop all but one acceptance = more spots will become available for us :luck:

Anyway, just 5 more days until MD applicants drop all but one acceptance = more spots will become available for us :luck:

Oh wow, I forgot about the MD deadline; that will help move things along for us.

I am gearing up for next year's cycle at this point. Waitlisted at both SOMA and Midwestern. I hope it happens this year. I will have a Plan B though.

hahahhaha... thats funny..try closer to 120. ;)

I'm out house hunting in Gilbert today. It's getting HOT here, and I can only imagine how fast my brains will boil when it hits 110 in July! Despite the heat, it's very beautiful and I can't wait to move on down to AZ.

hahahhaha... thats funny..try closer to 120. ;)

Yikes!!!!

I imagine once it passes like 105 or so it all feels the same right? Ahh well, I do prefer heat over cold. This year in Utah, the winter hasn't let go. I'd rather it be 120 in the summer than 10 in the winter.

Well once you adjust to the heat, temps closer to 100 seem pretty bearable, and over 110 just stinks. The closer to 120 the more miserable you get.

Stay inside in your AC if possible.

If I can handle physical labor in Vietnam for 2 weeks in the summer time, then I think I can handle the heat in AZ :laugh:
At least it's a dry heat vs. humid and muggy heat!

If I can handle physical labor in Vietnam for 2 weeks in the summer time, then I think I can handle the heat in AZ :laugh:
At least it's a dry heat vs. humid and muggy heat!

How true, 110 in Indonesia and East Timor just about killed me. So much humidity. Then after two months i started getting used to it. Then I came home to Utah and shriveled right up in the dry heat here.

dry heat FTW! it's always around 80-90% humidity around DFW and it sucks especially when it's 100 outside

Dry heat or not I don't want to do much of anything outside in the middle of summer. Especially move.

But yeah the humidity would make it pretty bad. Not much of that here.

I was in the 4/22 interview group. Just got notified yesterday via email that I've received an official seat in the Class of 2015! I'm really excited for starting this year. As many of you have stated, the school really impressed me during my interview and I am definitely coming here. For those who are still waiting, I'm sure your notice is coming soon. I believe they just started notifying a few people yesterday. There is supposedly a ranking list and if you ask the admissions people, they'll give you an idea of where you are on the list. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats Loc Ness! I was in the same group and emailed Amy about my status. I'm number 28 out of 34 so I guess not so high on the priority but I still think they'll get to me eventually.

I was in the 4/22 interview group. Just got notified yesterday via email that I've received an official seat in the Class of 2015! I'm really excited for starting this year. As many of you have stated, the school really impressed me during my interview and I am definitely coming here. For those who are still waiting, I'm sure your notice is coming soon. I believe they just started notifying a few people yesterday. There is supposedly a ranking list and if you ask the admissions people, they'll give you an idea of where you are on the list. Best of luck to everyone!

So you were "Accepted-pending" and now you're "officially accepted"? That's great! I hope to get that news from them soon too :) I was at the 4/22 interview as well

And I'm just curious, do you know what ranking you were at before they told you the awesome news? I'm trying to gauge my odds as to where I stand in this picture :luck:

Last edited:
Congrats Loc Ness! I was in the same group and emailed Amy about my status. I'm number 28 out of 34 so I guess not so high on the priority but I still think they'll get to me eventually.

They told you there are 34 people on that list? That's not so bad. And I also think they'll get to you too :) They still have the 5/20 interview to pick from as well, so at least you're ahead of them. Man, this wait is killing me! :laugh:

So you were "Accepted-pending" and now you're "officially accepted"? That's great! I hope to get that news from them soon too :) I was at the 4/22 interview as well

And I'm just curious, do you know what ranking you were at before they told you the awesome news? I'm trying to gauge my odds as to where I stand in this picture :luck:

Thanks SNDO and Colbare! I was accepted pending an open seat and am now accepted. When I asked the admissions people where I was on the list, they told me that I was "in the top 5" but didn't give me a number. I'm pretty confident that everyone on the accepted-pending list as well as many on the waiting list will get in. Keep your heads up folks.

They told you there are 34 people on that list? That's not so bad. And I also think they'll get to you too :) They still have the 5/20 interview to pick from as well, so at least you're ahead of them. Man, this wait is killing me! :laugh:

Yeah Amy said there were 43 and that they had already taken 11 into the class of 2015. She said there were 34 left and that they could add some more from the next interview. Hopefully I'll still be ahead of them at least! Yeah the wait is tedious because we can't really plan to move just yet although it's probably still a pretty safe bet.

Yeah Amy said there were 43 and that they had already taken 11 into the class of 2015. She said there were 34 left and that they could add some more from the next interview. Hopefully I'll still be ahead of them at least! Yeah the wait is tedious because we can't really plan to move just yet although it's probably still a pretty safe bet.

So that number is for the accepted pending list correct? I am wondering how many people are on the regular alternate list. I wish they would quit interviewing and just pull people from the waitlist!

Both Colbare and I received letters on 5/2/11. We also knew ahead of time because Colbare emailed Amy and I emailed a thanks to my interviewers.

Good luck to you!! :xf:

Thank you SNDO! And Congrats Loc Ness!

I received notification by snail mail today that Im accepted pending an open seat. Now the wait game, such a long road but we're almost there!!!