2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's awesome! Congratulations! They told us during our 01/18 interview that all seats were full and we basically interviewed for a waitlist position.
They told me that on my interview too all the way back in November. But they offered me a seat for the 2024 class.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get an alternate seat too?
Sorry, I had to recheck my emails. My interview was in November for ATSUSOMA. I got the A for the 2024 class. I mixed up with another medical school lol. The interviewer said they were full already and I can only be offered an acceptance for 2024. Their email specified I could be bumped up to 2023 if seats become open, and I was. I think because people, including me, dropped our A's they are straight up taking people who interview now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I had to recheck my emails. My interview was in November for ATSUSOMA. I got the A for the 2024 class. I mixed up with another medical school lol. The interviewer said they were full already and I can only be offered an acceptance for 2024. Their email specified I could be bumped up to 2023 if seats become open, and I was. I think because people, including me, dropped our A's they are straight up taking people who interview now.
Oh damn, I see yeah. Anyone on here on AL get email/calls yet?

i too was told class was full on my interview day (around end oct/beg nov) and got the acceptance the week after so have faith

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, has anyone heard back off the APS or AL? Best of luck to you all!

Accepted today off the APS interviewed 01/31!

Congratulations!!! I Interviewed 01/18 and waiting :/

So I asked and I was told they are moving down the list pretty quick, she gave out 20 offers that expired last Friday and more expired today because people have only 2 weeks to accept. Hang in there you got this!

• Care
The pre-match spots dont show “waitlist” anymore does anyone else accepted see this?

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now but…I got the pre-II R back on 12/8. Complete early July. They said the adcoms decided to place an “increased emphasis” on cGPA, sGPA and MCAT and reconsider me.

I will be declining though but wanted y’all to know for transparency and hope. It’s definitely not over til it’s over yall.

edit: MCAT low 510s, GPA 3.7x

Sending SOMA the bombastic side eye for being a hot mess

• Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
II just now but…I got the pre-II R back on 12/8. Complete early July. They said the adcoms decided to place an “increased emphasis” on cGPA, sGPA and MCAT and reconsider me.

I will be declining though but wanted y’all to know for transparency and hope. It’s definitely not over til it’s over yall.

Same

does AL list ever move for ATSU? Im getting concerned bc I'm AL myself and I heard they usually over-accept

I would be so annoyed fr

does AL list ever move for ATSU? Im getting concerned bc I'm AL myself and I heard they usually over-accept
I'm also AL from the 01/18 interview, and I'm seeing people get accepted from more recent interviews so I'm wondering if the AL is because of filled seats or not. Cause they kept telling us we interviewed for AL positions. Does anyone else have an idea?

I'm also AL from the 01/18 interview, and I'm seeing people get accepted from more recent interviews so I'm wondering if the AL is because of filled seats or not. Cause they kept telling us we interviewed for AL positions. Does anyone else have an idea?
They didn't even tell us we were interviewing for AL it was revealed after when we got the AL list decision- this was for the feb ii

They didn't even tell us we were interviewing for AL it was revealed after when we got the AL list decision- this was for the feb ii
Hmm I see cause they told us at the end of January interview that the class was full

• Hmm
“Although your application was not considered earlier this application cycle, the ATSU Admissions team has subsequently reviewed and expanded its criteria for review to place an increased emphasis upon achievement in overall and science grade point average as well as MCAT performance.
Your application has received a second screening and, based upon your credentials the committee would now like to offer you an interview for the Class of 2027.”

Very interesting

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
“Although your application was not considered earlier this application cycle, the ATSU Admissions team has subsequently reviewed and expanded its criteria for review to place an increased emphasis upon achievement in overall and science grade point average as well as MCAT performance.
Your application has received a second screening and, based upon your credentials the committee would now like to offer you an interview for the Class of 2027.”

Very interesting
I'm thinking they have a lot of people are dropping seats so they are trying to fill their WL/AL seats continually

Reactions: 3 users
so i just got an interview invite yesterday after being put on hold for interview last year, but it seems like it would most likely be for a WL or AL spot right? i emailed them about scheduling an interview but they said that they're waiting to hear back from SOMA for the next open interview dates.

so i just got an interview invite yesterday after being put on hold for interview last year, but it seems like it would most likely be for a WL or AL spot right? i emailed them about scheduling an interview but they said that they're waiting to hear back from SOMA for the next open interview dates.
Yeah Al probably I think everything is full but idk

Hi guys! I need help, I'm in between SOMA, KCOM, LECOM (Erie), LMU-DMU, and TouroCOM (Middletown). Im super fortunate to have As to these places and want to hear personal experiences that people have had/heard about before making a choice. I'd appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

Seriously. I got the same thing and was like hmmmm the only reason a school would be recanting a rejection from that long ago at this point in the cycle is if they are hemorrhaging accepted students. Which is a huge red flag. It’s like I’ll just take my acceptance elsewhere and enjoying watching this dumpster fire with my popcorn.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys! I need help, I'm in between SOMA, KCOM, LECOM (Erie), LMU-DMU, and TouroCOM (Middletown). Im super fortunate to have As to these places and want to hear personal experiences that people have had/heard about before making a choice. I'd appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!
My understanding LECOM’s culture is awful and generally toxic but they match well because they force out their weakest links. SOMA’s students and faculty basically revolted when they tried to copy LECOMs model to better board scores. Touro Middletown likely has to heavily compete with IMG schools for rotation sites. The other programs you have to live in the awful locations. TBH all DO schools have pretty bad curriculums and very bad rotation sites so I’d try and figure out which program is gonna get in your way the least.

Aka try to find out if anyone teaches towards the boards, who has the most dedicated study time and if any of your programs get you rotations at an academic center or with residencies on a regular basis.

I’ve haven’t heard much from LMU-DMU or KCOM students but considering I’ve heard bad things from basically every community based program MD or DO it’s a crapshoot.

Woof, sounds like things have really gone downhill. I truly valued my education and experience at SOMA. But things have clearly changed, for the worse, in a big way.
They tried to become LECOM and got the ****ty prizes that go with that

OMS1 here. Please do your research on PBL and self teaching material (that also involves self curriculum development) before applying to this school. I am slowly figuring out this method of learning isn't working out for me.
The problem with all self/peer learning models are that they assume a certain level of competence one which a lot of people don’t have. SOMA might be fine if they only had ten students who were super into group work. It doesn’t work when 1/2 the class is just looking out forn
Withdrew my only acceptance since the Brooklyn campus closed and the school isn’t giving any new details on how they will accommodate those affected so they can still safely graduate on time or if they even will. Sucks to be back on the MCAT grind now and have to go through another application cycle but will continue to press on since becoming a doctor is my dream. Good luck to everyone else
My friend, it’s too late for you but if DO schools operate like MD schools holding an acceptance and not attending essentially blacklists you forever. That said DO schools are way more desperate but even though I hated SOMAs upper management changes I would recommend not applying here or withdrawing from any waitlists over withdrawing after an acceptance. I had a friend get accepted MD to Albany and he tried to reapply to get into a state med school and no one would take him after that.

The problem with all self/peer learning models are that they assume a certain level of competence one which a lot of people don’t have. SOMA might be fine if they only had ten students who were super into group work. It doesn’t work when 1/2 the class is just looking out forn

My friend, it’s too late for you but if DO schools operate like MD schools holding an acceptance and not attending essentially blacklists you forever. That said DO schools are way more desperate but even though I hated SOMAs upper management changes I would recommend not applying here or withdrawing from any waitlists over withdrawing after an acceptance. I had a friend get accepted MD to Albany and he tried to reapply to get into a state med school and no one would take him after that.
Thanks for sharing. If med school is meant to be, then great, I'll attend somewhere else next year. If not, I will change my career plans and do something else. ATSU deferred admitted me back in Spring 2022, ie I got the dreaded APS status a year ago which I never got off. Consequently, I was given first dibs on my top CHC (ie which was Brooklyn) last summer as a deferred candidate, only to lose Brooklyn last month (and with it my plans to attend ATSU went out the door) and was told by an admin person that the school would not guarantee rotations or a backup CHC for me anymore, and I heard I might need to find all of my rotations on my own which seemed like a nightmare. In short, this school cost me basically 2+ years of my life and a lot of emotional stress and pain, and I refused to cooperate with them or their business model any further.

Last edited:
I'm looking to drop my AL list bc of what I'm hearing tbh I'm a little scared of what's being said

I'm looking to drop my AL list bc of what I'm hearing tbh I'm a little scared of what's being said
I will say at some point not too long ago SOMA was a decent DO school but they've basically gone to hell in a handbasket at the administrative level. Honestly I've heard nothing but bad things about the president of the Arizona campus DO, Dental, OT and PA admin. Apparently a lot of the turnover starts there.

I wouldn't say our experience is thaaat much worse than other established programs like NOVA but I will say SOMAs commitment to "innovation" is annoying because they sometimes feel more like an education masters thesis experiment in med ed than a medical school.

Last edited:

I do think it's worth noting my comment was stated in the beginning of the year was different than how I feel about now. Problem based learning has its quirks, but a lot of adjustments have been made in the last few months that made pretty comfortable with the curriculum. Does it have its problems? Yes. But I do believe the school hears us out and have made changes that is a fine middle ground for a variety of learning styles. However, in residency and in practice, you're not going to have someone teach you in a classroom setting. You're going to have to seek out your own resources on your own, read your own sources, and teach yourself, and I think that's the goal of PBL and this is a direction many medical schools are taking.

Just my opinion as I am adapting to this school. I do empathize with those who are struggling with PBL, and I am okay with traditional class room learning too, but I don't really have the same negativity to PBL like I did in the beginning of the year.

Reactions: 6 users
How worrying is the fact that they keep losing CHC sites? Does anyone know why this happens? Also, how will they place the misplaced students?

It’s pretty typical of any community based school see Cal Northstate, WSU or NOVA who all fight with PAs/NPs and international schools for the same seats. I think it’s more an indictment on the general DO model of having rotations in the community (so basically DOs everywhere except maybe Michigan and West Virginia)

SOMA has made great changes, emphasizing board preparation, which has been very well received by students. As someone who did in fact barely pass the last block, I am angered for my classmates who face remediation and a reminder of that on their transcripts for the rest of their professional careers. Back to our first cardiology exam, the midterm, the staff and administration openly admitted they gave the class an unjustified exam, hence the 55% exam average before any kind of adjustment was put in place. They also told the students that if they did receive a 60-69% on that unfair exam, they should "anticipate" to pass the course. Fast forward to the final, over 40 failed it. Rightfully so, students expected to have been given some kind of grade compensation for the countless mistakes and trauma that this school has put these students through unnecessarily. Since the faculty admitted to giving us an unfair midterm exam, students have continued to advocate for a more generous curve. The responses we have received are absurd. In the following points, I will clarify.

1. Passing you would be a disservice to those that tried hard to pass. This is problematic because to my knowledge, every one of us is trying hard to pass. Those words were said to students by the previous course director.

2. Passing you would not prepare you for national board examinations. This is problematic because they have included a midterm, a final, and an anatomy practical to encompass the "passing score" of the block. Anatomy practicals are low yield for any national board examination. I would also like to emphasize that they will pass you if you get a 69.5, but will fail someone with a 69.3 and will justify it by saying that passing the 69.3 would not prepare them for board exams. I find it incredibly incredibly difficult to justify that someone with a 69.5 is MORE likely to pass a national exam versus someone who received a 69.3.

On a final note, SOMA has lost three CHC sites including Texas, Brooklyn, and as of today, Seattle (effective for Class of 2027)
This is extremely concerning. For some reason I’ve been really doubting matriculating this July, and after reading this thread I fear my doubts are warranted. When and how are they telling you guys that they are losing a CHC site?

i learned about the Brooklyn chc closure on SDN about 1-2 weeks prior to the school calling me directly and notifying me of the closure. They said I could rerank my chc list but that placement would depend entirely on the existing sites’ willingness to take on additional students. But a month passed, I was still not reassigned a new chc and was told the school could no longer guarantee a new chc placement so I withdrew. Seems like since then, Seattle (ie Renton) has also now closed overnight. Your doubts are definitely valid and I had the same concerns. At the end of the day you need to decide for yourself if the risk of attendance is worth it to you. Personally I think you’re better off reapplying than mortgaging your future on a very iffy med school. I contacted other DO schools and they said if I were to reapply to med school, they would not hold my rescinding of my admission from atsu against me given I was deferred by the school only to lose my chc (Brooklyn) during the deferral year.

Losing Seattle was within their “normal” cycle of losing/adding community patterns and they are keeping their commitment to all admitted students through 2026 or 2027 I forget. We were told that group was projecting they won’t be able to continue to compete for rotation sites but have enough for the current students.

Brooklyn was sudden and a “bad” loss in that the hospital they used got bought out and they suddenly got told they needed a new site and it sounds like that group is having a hard time securing rotations.

Texas was poor communication on the community partners end with the government of Texas + SOMA not checking this independently enough. They tried and failed to get the site off the ground. (Conjecture would be that Texas required 70% Texans even in their private schools operating there but Burrell does operate in Texas so I dunno…)

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly I agree, the risks outweigh the benefits it seems. Smh I’m severely disappointed but I think I’m going to withdraw my acceptance as well.
If you don’t have any other admissions this cycle, please do consider this carefully. It’s an incredibly weighty decision. Others above suggested one should still proceed with attending here if it’s your only acceptance. I obviously did not heed that advice and don’t necessarily regret my decision to withdraw my only acceptance here, but it has been very hard dealing with a lot of future uncertainty now. Maybe reach out to your premed advisor, talk to your family, etc before formally withdrawing though. Whatever you choose, just know that it will be the right decision for you based on the data you had at the time you made your decision, so really no need to regret or experience hindsight bias. You’ll be great with whatever you choose! Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more

Reactions: 2 users
Wow this is ridiculous. How is this school remaining accredited? I can't understand how this is considered acceptable practice for a medical school in the US. There seems to be zero transparency and the students are the last ones to know before a major change happens such as a CHC site dissolving.

Wow this is ridiculous. How is this school remaining accredited? I can't understand how this is considered acceptable practice for a medical school in the US. There seems to be zero transparency and the students are the last ones to know before a major change happens such as a CHC site dissolving.
The new MD schools, new DO schools are mostly getting accredited with rotations that already were committed to existing schools or IMGs. So yeah, I wouldn’t say you’re gonna be better taken care of someplace else. Most of the middle management types and profs helped us push back against admin but our upper admin that you never really see have been problematic.

SOMAs model leaves them definitely more vulnerable than other types of programs.

I think I’m general states have responded to the healthcare crisis by opening more seats for PAs, MDs, DOs, welcoming new medical schools and helping ARNP programs. The problem being they all compete for the same resources: preceptors.

One problem is there is no way to stop a DO school from opening so long as they project to have all accreditation requirements. So the new schools spend extra money to buy off old preceptors to get their foot in the door and then cause a cycle of existing programs to scramble for people but since they already exist it’s hard to close them. The accreditation model is basically broken and honestly I’m pretty turned off by it.

I got accepted via phone today! I didn't receive an email yet however, does anyone know how long that takes?