2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’d be a bit concerned. I was complete about mid November and got an II a week later. My interview is on Jan 10

i was referring to negative comments made on the school by other students on this/last years thread- hopefully things are better now with the admins

Members don't see this ad.

Interview received, complete 7/14

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it still worth applying here? I submitted my AACOMAS app recently and got a secondary from here, but I realized that the class is full after reading this thread. I’m an IS applicant btw

Is it still worth applying here? I submitted my AACOMAS app recently and got a secondary from here, but I realized that the class is full after reading this thread. I’m an IS applicant btw
Seems like they’re still interviewing. Could shoot your shot, get a II and potentially secure a seat for next year. This year seems challenging

class is full? what are you talking about...

Seems like they’re still interviewing. Could shoot your shot, get a II and potentially secure a seat for next year. This year seems challenging
Yeah I have been thinking about sending the secondaries in, it's a lot of essays though 😂 I'll shoot my shot then, thank you!!

They are putting people on the alternate list, something like a waitlist with a guaranteed spot for the next cycle.
"Waitlisted" today, although with guaranteed spot for next cycle starting July 2024. Really quick turnaround as my interview was 11/29.

They said all spots are currently filled, but not all secured by deposit. Email says they'll keep interviewing candidates still.

LM 69, OOS
Quoting this for context

Yeah that's how SOMA operates. They do a bunch of outright As so the class is completely full quickly, then start in with "guaranteed 2024 seat" admits, and then a traditional waitlist.

Last year they seemed to end up with a lot of people turning down their As... Makes me wonder if the bad rumors about them got around. I say that as I interviewed very late in the season, was put on the traditional waitlist (yeah, I definitely do not fit with their culture & they also must have felt it LOL), and then offered a seat off it pretty quickly. When I declined the seat, they sent me a very invasive survey about why I had declined, including asking what school I had chosen.

tldr: class is full but they were accepting off their "3rd tier" of WL'ers last year, so it's probably still worth doing the secondary if you don't have any As yet

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know when more interviews will be sent out?

ii received today but will be declining it/withdrawing my app. GL to everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrawing my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
withdrawing acceptance, I wish everyone the best:xf:

Hi everyone! I am interviewing for ATSU soon. I may be overzealous, but if I get an acceptance or a pending open seat acceptance, what are the chances I will be able to stay in Arizona for my CHC? Preferably Tucson, but would be happy with any AZ site. Is it too late in the cycle to get one of your top CHC choices? Thank you!

Hi everyone! I am interviewing for ATSU soon. I may be overzealous, but if I get an acceptance or a pending open seat acceptance, what are the chances I will be able to stay in Arizona for my CHC? Preferably Tucson, but would be happy with any AZ site. Is it too late in the cycle to get one of your top CHC choices? Thank you!
I am no expert on admissions or how this process works nor do I think anyone on her can definitively tell you what your precise chances are at getting an AZ-based CHC. I'd imagine the Mesa and Tucson sites will be more difficult than Flagstaff. What you could do is pay your deposit, see what CHC site opens up (and indicate your 1st, 2nd, etc choices are all the AZ sites)....so you might get assigned somewhere outside of AZ initially, but that doesn't mean that will be final. For example, it's possible that an AZ CHC will open up late in the cycle and you'd get reassigned to it based on your stated preferences. With that said, don't count on it, but if you're willing to pay the deposit for the possibility (if i had to guess, it's maybe a 50-50 possibility of that happening this cycle), then def go for it. And if you end up getting stuck on the pending open seat this cycle, at least you have a guaranteed admission for the following cycle and you will be assured your top CHC choice for a summer 2024 matriculation. You could also maybe ask admissions that due to extenuating personal circumstances (or something along those lines), you can only attend ATSU if you can stay in AZ and see what the ADCOM says -- if you do this, i'd recommend only having that conversation when you have a little more leverage (ie either an outright admission for this cycle or a pending open seat admission for next cycle)

How likely is it to get off a waitlist for a CHC spot if you got the full acceptance to the school in January?

How likely is it to get off a waitlist for a CHC spot if you got the full acceptance to the school in January?
CHC movement happen a lot- all the way up to orientations week. If you are not okay with learning strictly from a textbook, I urge you to seek other options.

You could always try! However, the curriculum has been changed. Ask yourself these questions: 1. Are you okay learning strictly from a textbook? your exam questions will only come from textbooks. 2. Are you okay with completely independent learning given the price tag? 3. Are you okay with a new course director changing things up every block? The mission is why I attended this school but I will have to tell you that 2 students have already withdrawn - I am hearing chatter about others also thinking about it.

Reactions: 3 users
i was referring to negative comments made on the school by other students on this/last years thread- hopefully things are better now with the admins
You are more than welcome to reach out to me - I'm a first year here.

Is there anyone at the Ohio site or the South Carolina site on here? Would love to ask some questions.

You could always try! However, the curriculum has been changed. Ask yourself these questions: 1. Are you okay learning strictly from a textbook? your exam questions will only come from textbooks. 2. Are you okay with completely independent learning given the price tag? 3. Are you okay with a new course director changing things up every block? The mission is why I attended this school but I will have to tell you that 2 students have already withdrawn - I am hearing chatter about others also thinking about it.

I'm planning to interview here next week.

A few questions, can you share with me how the medical school curriculum has been altered recently, and what were the main factors behind these changes? How has the school responded to concerns about the impact of the curriculum changes? I'm interested in the hands-on learning - do they only have textbooks? . .

Also, is there a place to check which CHCs are still available?

I'm planning to interview here next week.

A few questions, can you share with me how the medical school curriculum has been altered recently, and what were the main factors behind these changes? How has the school responded to concerns about the impact of the curriculum changes? I'm interested in the hands-on learning - do they only have textbooks? . .

Also, is there a place to check which CHCs are still available?
PM me.

I can't seem to find the board pass rates for this school. Does anyone think that this is a little suspicious? And has this turned you away to other schools because of the lack of board pas rate data?

I just applied ik its super late but im wondering if there's still a chance for them to consider me for an interview? also for reference my LM score is 63

I just applied ik its super late but im wondering if there's still a chance for them to consider me for an interview? also for reference my LM score is 63
Would still apply, folks with multiple acceptances will turn down + they were offering seats for next year

Anyone from the 01/25 interview heard back yet?

I can't seem to find the board pass rates for this school. Does anyone think that this is a little suspicious? And has this turned you away to other schools because of the lack of board pas rate data?
Yes the lack of transparency is concerning. With that said, even if you do find board pass rate data, it may not be that helpful since those on the new curriculum (ie current first year students) have yet to take their boards. The new curriculum (ie PBL) was implemented in full swing last summer 2022.

I just got an interview, so I think they still have interview spots left. But if what's said about all the ATSU spots being filled is true, it's also an uphill battle against WL movement.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is any dedicated board studying time, and if so how long is it?

I just got an interview, so I think they still have interview spots left. But if what's said about all the med school spots being filled is true, it's also an uphill battle against WL movement.
I wonder if the still do APS seats bc that would be way more reassuring and I honestly feel like bw now and later months there's gonna be a ton of WL movement and in general seats being given up

Does anyone know if there is any dedicated board studying time, and if so how long is it?
When I contracted faculty about this, I was told there was not. Maybe current students can verify?

Post II - R. Kinda funny since I thought it was my best interview yet. Oh well, have acceptances elsewhere that I was planning on pursuing over this school anyways.