Attire / Suit for Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Other words of advice: Don't go over the top with a euro style slim fit suit.

You want a conservative suit that fits properly.

Over the top? Right. Don't do that.

But conservative? Not necessary. Brooks Brothers isn't for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I'd agree with you, except my suit was definitely not a conservative suit, and I'm doing all right.

I mean, in b4 sample size of 1, but still.
I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but dressing non conservatively definitely puts a negative first impression in people's minds.

There are pretty standard norms when it comes to interview dress for medical school/residency etc. When you break the norms, it certainly stands out in negative ways.

....and reflect on your waitlist predominance post-interview.

I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but dressing non conservatively definitely puts a negative first impression in people's minds.

There are pretty standard norms when it comes to interview dress for medical school/residency etc. When you break the norms, it certainly stands out in negative ways.

....and reflect on your waitlist predominance post-interview.

Was that sentence written in the imperative?

Because I've reflected. I have a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT. Being accepted at 2/7 before May 15th suggests that everything went pretty damn well, especially considering the fact that I'm a reapplicant. :laugh:

In past cycles, I wore a conservative suit.

Reactions: 1 user
Was that sentence written in the imperative?

Because I've reflected. I have a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT. Being accepted at 2/7 before May 15th suggests that everything went pretty damn well, especially considering the fact that I'm a reapplicant. :laugh:

In past cycles, I wore a conservative suit.
6 of 7 interviews were waitlists and rejections. Not saying the suit was the reason, just that I wouldn't use yourself as the "See it doesn't matter what you wear" spokesperson.

Getting in is all about playing the game, and dressing conservatively is just another hoop you should just jump through.

Go with a navy Zara.com suit and light brown leather cap toe shows. 3inch tie yellow in color.
Favorite post. Sorry if not intended to be funny, but delivery made me laugh. . . .though less funny when I realized three inch pertained to width, not length. I will stick to the 3 inch length tie to keep the giggles coming strong.

6 of 7 interviews were waitlists and rejections. Not saying the suit was the reason, just that I wouldn't use yourself as the "See it doesn't matter what you wear" spokesperson.

Getting in is all about playing the game, and dressing conservatively is just another hoop you should just jump through.

Nah, I think I might be just the right spokesperson since applicants with higher stats are likely to be given more leeway, not less, when it comes to clothing choices. Someone on the fence statwise, and that would be me, is likely to be scrutinized more.

Though notably, I'm not arguing for applicants to all go out and buy lime green suits; mine was pinstriped and a more modern cut.

Not a fan. To me, the suits feel cheap and the cuts are similar to what you find at Men's Wearhouse-- meant for 60 year old men.

Also, FWIW, I wore a black suit to most of my interviews and did just fine.

Very overpriced, even with their sales. I have a suit from them that I like, but I think Men's Warehouse is a better value given money constraints.

Thanks. They have this deal for buy 1 get 2 free, and the "1" is about ~$600-$700 ( so 3 for that price didn't seem all that terrible).

Your first suit purchase should be charcoal, and your second should be navy. The reason you (johnnydrama and others) don't see Navy suits at interviews is because premed students know absolutely nothing about how to dress properly (don't feel bad, a lot of grown ups doing either). There is nothing informal about a navy suit at all.

Fortunately, black suits were in the minority for residency interviews (mostly charcoals and navy), so at least a lot of students learned the errors of their ways between undergrad and 4th year of med school. But you could still spot the black suits, and it's like screaming "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!"

I was also talking about residency interviews. I did not see a single navy suit, and would advise against it.

I would recommend dark and light gray as your first and second suit purchases. Not navy (although also not black).

Navy is better for blazers, and should not be used for job interviews.

I was also talking about residency interviews. I did not see a single navy suit, and would advise against it.

I would recommend dark and light gray as your first and second suit purchases. Not navy (although also not black).

Wth I thought charcoal gray and navy were the go-to for med school interviews? Basically black is too "stylish" or something like that? What about this:

dabniel-craig-in-a-navy-suit.jpg

with a patterned tie?

Most "experts" recommend a navy suit for your first suit purchase followed by charcoal/gray (or vice versa) with black being one of the last suits to buy. Anyways, gray is a safe choice. Navy is honestly fine too. Black is alright as well. For the record, I wore a gray suit and navy suit (alternating) to residency interviews.

Regardless, get made to measure from thickasthieves. They have a conservative cut that is still pretty modern.

I've been worried about failing my Fashion and Medicine course in the fall. What should I do over the summer to prepare?

This whole argument over suit color (not just what you said, but what everyone has been saying) is ridiculous. Seriously. One awesome singing and puppy kicking chick from last year wore a pink suit, and Mayo absolutely adores her.

WEAR A SUIT.

You are free to hem and haw all you want about what I said. I'm just trying to do you (and others) a favor. I realize many premeds have never actually spent time in "the real world" or working a real job, but paying attention to some basic sartorial mores should be common sense, and can only help you. I'm not even advocating getting all nitpicky about the details, either.

You should take pride in your appearance, whether you're a prince or a pauper. Like it or not, what you wear will lead to others judging you, for better or for worse. Wearing a black suit on almost any occasion is broadcasting to everyone "LOL I have no idea what I'm doing."

I wore a Navy suit to all my residency interviews. Got my #1 derm residency, and was told by two other programs that I would've matched to their programs had I ranked them #1. N=1, but I did ok.

I appreciate your concerns about Navy, but it actually is pretty well accepted as a staple of formal business attire in the working world. I will of course concede that if you have any personal doubts about it whatsoever, go with charcoal. But as another poster pointed out, Navy is actually often cited as the "first" suit you should own, because of its versatility.

I wore a Navy suit to all my residency interviews. Got my #1 derm residency, and was told by two other programs that I would've matched to their programs had I ranked them #1. N=1, but I did ok.

I appreciate your concerns about Navy, but it actually is pretty well accepted as a staple of formal business attire in the working world. I will of course concede that if you have any personal doubts about it whatsoever, go with charcoal. But as another poster pointed out, Navy is actually often cited as the "first" suit you should own, because of its versatility.

I doubt suit color plays much role in decisions (as long as it isn't ridiculous). But gray is the more conservative choice and in my opinion looks better. Vary shades of gray and tie color.

Black suits are very formal, can sometimes be substituted for a tuxedo in black tie events. They were very common on residency interviews, but I agree gray is the better choice.

Black suits are very formal, can sometimes be substituted for a tuxedo in black tie events. They were very common on residency interviews, but I agree gray is the better choice.

To be fair, and I reiterate what I said before, they're only common on the interview trail because those students are clueless.

And again, I haven't argued that they will affect your ultimate outcome in the interview process (I was more using my example as a way of saying "see, it doesn't matter that much for getting in somewhere"), but the fact remains that if you are going to purchase a suit, it should not be black. Regardless of whether 90% of prospective med students or prospective residency applicants wear black to interviews, wearing a black suit in ANY realm of social gatherings other than a funeral is poor form. So why would you willingly purchase a suit that might "get the job done" for interviews but serves virtually no purpose in society when you could just buy a charcoal suit (or navy, I would argue, although obviously you and others may disagree) which will be perfect for interviews and serve you well throughout the rest of the suit's life in a variety of social settings (and I use "you" in the collective sense, especially since I know you [johnny] are indeed also advocating charcoal/gray).

Moral of all this: probably best for everyone to go charcoal/gray. Failing that, go with navy. Don't buy a black suit.

I doubt suit color plays much role in decisions (as long as it isn't ridiculous). But gray is the more conservative choice and in my opinion looks better. Vary shades of gray and tie color.

Thank you. This is all I've been trying to get across.

Although I still do think it would be baller to go to a safety interview in lime green. JUST SAYIN.

Thank you. This is all I've been trying to get across.

Although I still do think it would be baller to go to a safety interview in lime green. JUST SAYIN.

I remember reading about someone who showed up to an interview in an American flag sweater.

The PD who told the story actually ranked him at the bottom of his list to see where he ended up out of morbid curiosity.

He did not match.