August 2020 - CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CornFedBeef21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone concerned that we will not be able to take the test?

EDIT: Do we want to make this the official August (September or October) CBSE thread lol?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think there's a decent chance that we won't be on lockdown around August (China is starting to lift lockdown after 2 months); however, I think the issue will come with finding an open spot in a Prometric testing center due to the influx after this is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how prometric informs people of openings? Twitter, email list, etc?

With spots being limited it would be nice to get notified as soon as they open

Do you all think you're gonna have more or less time to study for this if the exam does happen in August? I am a current D2 and right now feel like I have more time to study than if COVID-19 wasn't going on, but I feel like once we get back, Pre-Clinical is going to hit us hard so might not have as much time leading up to the exam.

Curious if averages will be higher or lower than usual! Only time will tell I guess :)

Do you all think you're gonna have more or less time to study for this if the exam does happen in August? I am a current D2 and right now feel like I have more time to study than if COVID-19 wasn't going on, but I feel like once we get back, Pre-Clinical is going to hit us hard so might not have as much time leading up to the exam.

Curious if averages will be higher or lower than usual! Only time will tell I guess :)

I'm using this time to get through BnB videos and hopefully when clinic ramps up I'll have a decent base and can just do a block of UWorld with my Anki questions everyday.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how prometric informs people of openings? Twitter, email list, etc?

With spots being limited it would be nice to get notified as soon as they open

Agreed. I've been monitoring their website and Twitter. Have you gotten a scheduling permit?

Agreed. I've been monitoring their website and Twitter. Have you gotten a scheduling permit?

In the email I received it says we won't get a scheduling permit until May.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.09.16 PM.png

Wouldn't be surprised if the exam gets pushed back. I don't think they'd cancel it, but they might delay it a month or two. Then again, with how hectic everything is, they may cancel it. Also, I would take anything that China says with a grain of salt. You really think they have fewer cases of COVID than the US and Italy? No way, no how.

I think averages will be the same. Any extra time you have now will be lost when pre-clinic/clinic resumes, so it all averages out. I'm assuming most schools are going to have their students do a bunch of catch up work.

This is N=1 but the dean of Penn's medical school said that in Philly, peak cases of Corona won't be seen until May. After hitting the peak, who knows how long it would take to reach manageable numbers and begin to open up everything again. Keep in mind the NBME is in Philly :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
keep studying but cbse will most likely get delayed. prometric sites have been closed for weeks and they will continue to stay closed for all of april.

so even if they open in may (hypothetically), still have a backlog of exam takers. don't forget, EVERYONE utilizes prometric sites for exams (CPAs, MCATs, GMAT, LSAT, OAT, DAT, USMLE, etc..) so can't accommodate everyone.

a friend in law school was supposed to take the ny bar exam in late july but they were informed the exam will be postponed for sometime in the fall...

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't be surprised if the exam gets pushed back. I don't think they'd cancel it, but they might delay it a month or two. Then again, with how hectic everything is, they may cancel it. Also, I would take anything that China says with a grain of salt. You really think they have fewer cases of COVID than the US and Italy? No way, no how.

I think averages will be the same. Any extra time you have now will be lost when pre-clinic/clinic resumes, so it all averages out. I'm assuming most schools are going to have their students do a bunch of catch up work.

This is N=1 but the dean of Penn's medical school said that in Philly, peak cases of Corona won't be seen until May. After hitting the peak, who knows how long it would take to reach manageable numbers and begin to open up everything again. Keep in mind the NBME is in Philly :p

As a D3 who did not take the exam prior to this, I am regretting the decision to take this in August. Decided on the August test date since I had 6 weeks of dedicated between D3 and D4 summer, however, certainly did not anticipate a world wide crisis. It is my hope that programs will be understanding of delayed exams, delayed applications, and even reduced externship quantities.

keep studying but cbse will most likely get delayed. prometric sites have been closed for weeks and they will continue to stay closed for all of april.

so even if they open in may (hypothetically), still have a backlog of exam takers. don't forget, EVERYONE utilizes prometric sites for exams (CPAs, MCATs, GMAT, LSAT, OAT, DAT, USMLE, etc..) so can't accommodate everyone.

a friend in law school was supposed to take the ny bar exam in late july but they were informed the exam will be postponed for sometime in the fall...

That's the plan. Thankfully we are expected to get our scheduling permit in May, so that gives us a couple months to schedule the test and play whack-a-mole while looking for open dates at centers.

Last edited:

This provides a state-by-state breakdown of when peaks are expected. The situation is still nebulous and all of this is meaningless if people do not adhere to strict social distancing guidelines, however, this does offer some clarity and hope.

Set up by the IMHE, and individual research organization at the University of Washington.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the plan. Thankfully we are expected to get our scheduling permit in May, so that gives us a couple months to schedule the test and play whack-a-mole while looking for open dates at centers.
If everything is still shut down, I don't think any scheduling permits will be sent out. My guess is they won't be sending out any scheduling permits until know for sure when all the testing centers throughout the country will be reopen, and they reschedule everyone else who already had a testing date cancelled.

If everything is still shut down, I don't think any scheduling permits will be sent out. My guess is they won't be sending out any scheduling permits until know for sure when all the testing centers throughout the country will be reopen, and they reschedule everyone else who already had a testing date cancelled.

Fair point.

This provides a state-by-state breakdown of when peaks are expected. The situation is still nebulous and all of this is meaningless if people do not adhere to strict social distancing guidelines, however, this does offer some clarity and hope.

Set up by the IMHE, and individual research organization at the University of Washington.
interesting, thanks for sharing. safety is our biggest concern rn so i hope we can pull through this quickly as a nation.

#staysafe #flattenthecurve

Here's my hot take that I hope I'm wrong about: they're going to cancel the August CBSE and plan for February.
that wouldn't surprise me either. curious what it means for interview season (assuming we even have one)

that wouldn't surprise me either. curious what it means for interview season (assuming we even have one)

Probably my greatest fear but not the end of the world.

I envision a lot of it will be done remotely anyway as next COVID-19 season is expected to start up Fall of 2020. That being said, 2021 application cycle would be wild if this is the case.

Probably my greatest fear but not the end of the world.

I envision a lot of it will be done remotely anyway as next COVID-19 season is expected to start up Fall of 2020. That being said, 2021 application cycle would be wild if this is the case.
Virtual interviews? Hell yeah. I can see it now - all the applicants are in one chat room and then they pull you out of the chat room and stick you into another with all the faculty interviewing you from their living rooms.

Virtual interviews? Hell yeah. I can see it now - all the applicants are in one chat room and then they pull you out of the chat room and stick you into another with all the faculty interviewing you from their living rooms.
Would save me a nickel and a penny.

With that said, everything in this thread is simply conjecture. Take advantage of the time you have to study now for those of you registered in August.

Reactions: 4 users
Can you update your cbse score after you’ve submitted your application? ..

I was planning on waiting to submit until after August, but now with the uncertainty it might be better to just submit the current score if it’s possible to send in an updated score in the event the exam happens

You really think that? I feel like everyone I talked to at other schools can just cheat through their online exams and get so much more time to study because of it... my school is one of the few that has a proctoring system with someone watching us. Frustrating that schools aren’t enforcing it. Even when school returns, it will be a lot of pre-clinical time spent but nothing else to worry about but studying after since my school is front-loading courses (for D2s).

You really think that? I feel like everyone I talked to at other schools can just cheat through their online exams and get so much more time to study because of it... my school is one of the few that has a proctoring system with someone watching us. Frustrating that schools aren’t enforcing it. Even when school returns, it will be a lot of pre-clinical time spent but nothing else to worry about but studying after since my school is front-loading courses (for D2s).
Only time will tell. Sometimes having too much free time has the opposite effect. I feel way lazier and less motivated at home than I do at school :sleep:

Last edited:
I’ve got kids and can’t run away to school During all this. It’s definitely harder to study right now. My guess would be it’s a wash and scores come out the same as always. Who knows though.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a reason you think it'd be canceled rather than pushed back?

At this point, it’s all conjecture.

Per John London, they are proceeding like it is happening. I am going to check in with AAOMS monthly for updates and will post them here if I have any. If anyone else comes across posts/tweets/updates, post them here as well.

Until then - study on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a reason you think it'd be canceled rather than pushed back?
I'm completely speculating, but I think it would be cancelled rather than pushed back because it's offered every 6 months, so it wouldnt make sense to push it back like 2 months and then only have 4 months until the feb cbse.

So instead of having this awkwardly small time frame between the fall and feb cbse, they'd just make everyone take the feb cbse. Again, completely speculation.

People who need to retake it and are in an internship year would be absolutely shafted by this if it gets cancelled

If anyone has any questions about studying feel free to ask/PM me I’m currently studying for STEP1 Hopefully going to take it in June

Here is my most wishful thinking...1. Dr. Fauci still thinks there might be a chance that warmer weather slows down the spread at least for summer 2. Places are set to peak in the next month or so (although we haven't been very accurate so far) 3. We are getting smarter every day in regards to potential treatments 4. Antibody testing is coming at some point 5. etc ...wishful thinking that any one or more of things helps slow things down to the point that places can safely open up towards August...

Also, if we get to take our test it also means that the pandemic is a bit more under control, win-win!

Here is my most wishful thinking...1. Dr. Fauci still thinks there might be a chance that warmer weather slows down the spread at least for summer 2. Places are set to peak in the next month or so (although we haven't been very accurate so far) 3. We are getting smarter every day in regards to potential treatments 4. Antibody testing is coming at some point 5. etc ...wishful thinking that any one or more of things helps slow things down to the point that places can safely open up towards August...

Also, if we get to take our test it also means that the pandemic is a bit more under control, win-win!
Agreed. Unfortunately we don't have any accurate way to predict how long it will take to come out of this. People were using China as an example, but it turns out that they were lying about their numbers.

Agreed. Unfortunately we don't have any accurate way to predict how long it will take to come out of this. People were using China as an example, but it turns out that they were lying about their numbers.

Agreed, sort of scary working off all this inaccurate and incomplete data...

So what are your thoughts here...currently I’m at a 186, so somewhere between a 64 and 65. Original plan was to take it in August. With that up in the air, should I apply early with the 186 and cross my fingers that’s it’s good enough, or cross my fingers that I can take it in August? ...tough call

So what are your thoughts here...currently I’m at a 186, so somewhere between a 64 and 65. Original plan was to take it in August. With that up in the air, should I apply early with the 186 and cross my fingers that’s it’s good enough, or cross my fingers that I can take it in August? ...tough call
I'm right there with you. I'm at a 184. From my understanding, in past years lots of people have waited to submit applications until after August exam scores come out and haven't had much problem with having a "late" submission. I'm leaning towards planning to take it again in August, but having everything ready go to so that I can submit as soon as the scores are released. If this coronavirus stuff is still causing issues come June, I'm assuming we'll have more information about it application deadlines are affected at all.

Kinda sucks not knowing for certain, but I think I'd rather prepare for things to go as planned in August and then adjust things accordingly as we get more information

It depends if you want to do a 4 or 6 year. I know plenty of people that have gotten lots of interviews to 4 year programs with scores in the mid 60s. Obviously if you want to do a 6 year, aim for that 70+.

It depends if you want to do a 4 or 6 year. I know plenty of people that have gotten lots of interviews to 4 year programs with scores in the mid 60s. Obviously if you want to do a 6 year, aim for that 70+.

Can we go over why people decide on 6 vs 4 years? I've talked to a decent amount of practicing oral surgeons about this and the only big thing I've heard is that it's crucial if you want to do large hospital based procedures/cancer cases.

Can anyone that decided on a 6 year program shed some light on why they made their decision?

Can we go over why people decide on 6 vs 4 years? I've talked to a decent amount of practicing oral surgeons about this and the only big thing I've heard is that it's crucial if you want to do large hospital based procedures/cancer cases.

Can anyone that decided on a 6 year program shed some light on why they made their decision?

This has been discussed ad naseum on this forum.
Main pros: Ego, fellowship opportunities, navigating hospital politics, transitioning to other specialties like plastics.
Main Negs: Time and money: "The $1 million lost income"
Is it worth it? Depends on who you ask. Check out Access OMFS

Reactions: 5 users
This has been discussed ad naseum on this forum.
Main pros: Ego, fellowship opportunities, navigating hospital politics, transitioning to other specialties like plastics.
Main Negs: Time and money: "The $1 million lost income"
Is it worth it? Depends on who you ask. Check out Access OMFS

There I fixed it for ya

I'm kidding for anyone who can't take a joke.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
The Bar exam for law students is postponed to July. My school is planning for a July/August return. So I think the chances of it happening may be higher than not, but it not happening is a very real reality.

The Bar exam for law students is postponed to July. My school is planning for a July/August return. So I think the chances of it happening may be higher than not, but it not happening is a very real reality.

If everyone could just stay home for the next 3 months, that would great. I know of OMFS that are still taking out wisdom teeth in parts of this country.

July at the earliest. I feel like this situation is like when pilots come on the speaker and say "ok folks it should only be another 15 minutes" and they keep saying that for the next 3 hours.

July at the earliest. I feel like this situation is like when pilots come on the speaker and say "ok folks it should only be another 15 minutes" and they keep saying that for the next 3 hours.

Haha you’ve reiterated your point in several ways man

In Canada we have 10-11k cases and a leaked government document says their best case scenario is quarantine lasts until at least late July. If the states can beat that timeline with more than 10x the cases, I will be seriously impressed

Data is pointing towards things getting back to business in late July for the U.S.

But that means we would've lost 4 months so there's a high likelihood cbse will get postponed.

No deviations from original April 16th opening according to most recent Prometric update.

I hope this is true...my hunch is this will be postponed, but we can hope!

I can imagine a scenario that the sites won't open until there has been a sharp decline in new cases or there is the ability to do rapid testing on-site for test-takers. Both of those scenarios, unfortunately, seem a distant future.

Just registered for the exam. Time to put in some serious work!

Reactions: 3 users