August 2020 - CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just registered for the exam. Time to put in some serious work!
Registered, as in paid for?
Because I was under the impression we couldn't schedule until May due to delayed scheduling permits.

Because I was under the impression we couldn't schedule until May due to delayed scheduling permits.

They likely meant they just paid AAOMS. No one has permits yet from NBME, which are needed to book a seat at Prometric. Those will not be out until May.

Members don't see this ad :)
They likely meant they just paid AAOMS. No one has permits yet from NBME, which are needed to book a seat at Prometric. Those will not be out until May.
Yup, I was just saying that I paid the AAOMS fee :)

Somehow the $300 makes things feel more real. We'll see if they still let us schedule for Aug 15th

i registered for the exam but for some reason the timing for the exam in august is 12:00 am to 11:59pm. what does that mean?

i registered for the exam but for some reason the timing for the exam in august is 12:00 am to 11:59pm. what does that mean?
It means your gonna be there for 24 hrs bro strap in

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Hetvi Patel,

When and how were you notified to register for your exam?

Thanks

Hetvi Patel,

When and how were you notified to register for your exam?

Thanks
just paid $300 for the exam on the AAMOs website
i dont know if that means they have not opened the time slots ellocation yet?

just paid $300 for the exam on the AAMOs website
i dont know if that means they have not opened the time slots ellocation yet?
In all seriousness tho no worries, you will pick a time when they send the scheduling permit out in a few weeks. It says the same for everyone right now.

Reactions: 1 user
In all seriousness tho no worries, you will pick a time when they send the scheduling permit out in a few weeks. It says the same for everyone right now.
phewww was not sure what to do

if i were you, i would apply with this score and finish your application. You can take the test again but remember, it shows how many times and all scores are accessible to the aamos. do you want to take that chance. If you are super confident that you would do great and better than last time, go for it. remember everyone has that extra time on their hands too. the curve might be tough this time. cant speak for you but think about all the cons before taking it again. If you still think you can do better and you are aiming for a particular school or program then its worth it. a higher score will increase you chances of matching there.

if i were you, i would apply with this score and finish your application. You can take the test again but remember, it shows how many times and all scores are accessible to the aamos. do you want to take that chance. If you are super confident that you would do great and better than last time, go for it. remember everyone has that extra time on their hands too. the curve might be tough this time. cant speak for you but think about all the cons before taking it again. If you still think you can do better and you are aiming for a particular school or program then its worth it. a higher score will increase you chances of matching there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not true. They only look at what you submit.

Reactions: 1 users
Should I try to improve my score? I got a 203 on the Feb test which equates to a 70. Its pretty decent but definitely not something to be bouncing off the walls for. Im open to 4 and 6 year programs (Leaning toward 6). Class rank is great. Just thinking with all this extra study time if its worth it. I honestly gave it my all for that score, just kinda feel guilty knowing I have all the time in the world right now. Thoughts?
phewww was not sure what to do

You run the risk of the August test being postponed and turning in your application late in the game with your same score.

You run the risk of the August test being postponed and turning in your application late in the game with your same score.

I agree. You're going to get plenty of interviews with a high class rank and a score of 70. An individual at my school last year had a 69 and high class rank and got 13-14 interviews (mainly 4 years). It moreso comes down to if you want to be picky with your programs (and if you want a 6 year). If you're comfortable getting into 'any' program and just care about getting in, then stick with your score. If you want to be super competitive at 6 year programs, take it again.

Updated an Anki flashcard today =(

Attachments

• screenshot.119.jpg
    screenshot.119.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Sad
Should I try to improve my score? I got a 203 on the Feb test which equates to a 70. Its pretty decent but definitely not something to be bouncing off the walls for. Im open to 4 and 6 year programs (Leaning toward 6). Class rank is great. Just thinking with all this extra study time if its worth it. I honestly gave it my all for that score, just kinda feel guilty knowing I have all the time in the world right now. Thoughts?
I would retake-- you have so much time right now during quaratine

Prometric center extended their closures today from May 1st until May 31st. It’s been closed since middle of March and from what I hear, some people were already struggling to find open dates until late June/mid July.

Prometric center extended their closures today from May 1st until May 31st. It’s been closed since middle of March and from what I hear, some people were already struggling to find open dates until late June/mid July.

Hmmm this is worrisome for the future. August is pretty far off still, though.

imagine paying for a flight to an open Prometric center to take the CBSE

hopefully we still get our schedule permit in May so we can at least schedule are test.

Is there a specific day in May they release scheduling permits?

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 1.46.48 PM.png

Looks like they are allowing testing for 'essential' exams on May 1st- hopefully this will lesson the amount of people trying to schedule tests that far out.

View attachment 303458

Looks like they are allowing testing for 'essential' exams on May 1st- hopefully this will lesson the amount of people trying to schedule tests that far out.
Oh that's interesting. Is the CBSE considered an essential exam as well? I wonder what dictates an exam from being essential and non-essential. If you ask someone studying for their CPA if their exam is essential, I'm sure they would say it is.

Someone should begin the process of calling our boy JL :love:

Reactions: 6 users
Oh that's interesting. Is the CBSE considered an essential exam as well? I wonder what dictates an exam from being essential and non-essential. If you ask someone studying for their CPA if their exam is essential, I'm sure they would say it is.

I believe those tests that can affect people's graduation dates may be given priority (ex. USMLE step1,2,3, NBDE1,2, ADEX diagnostic)

Poor JL... he can't catch a break. He's been blown up the past two exams and now this one is already started months out. What a guy

Who is JL, and what did he do? Did he go to law school?

Ah, that guy. Idk why I thought y'all were referring to law. CPA is for accountants lol. JL! Come through, CBSE is essential af

Anybody have an idea of how many questions correct would correlate to a ~70 on the CBSE?

Anybody have an idea of how many questions correct would correlate to a ~70 on the CBSE?

Every exam is curved differently. That said, a 70 on the CBSE is about a 200 on the the new scoring system. A 194 is what is needed to pass and generally it's stated that a "passing" score on the step 1 is 55-60% correct.

I may just be missing some very obvious information, but can anyone tell me what time exactly the CBSE is administered in the day?

I'm making my study schedule for the next few months and want to wake up at the same time I will on test day.

Is it 8am?

I may just be missing some very obvious information, but can anyone tell me what time exactly the CBSE is administered in the day?

I'm making my study schedule for the next few months and want to wake up at the same time I will on test day.

Is it 8am?

The testing center I was at had times at 8 am and 10 am

From what I've read on reddit (lol), half of all May and June exams have been canceled and those people have to reschedule. A lot of people are complaining they can't find test dates in July or August. Take it for what it's worth. I think as long as you're willing to travel, you'll probably find an open testing center some where.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Are scores expected to shoot up this exam?

There's a curve and every exam has ended up in the same range with the same spread (despite lots of people thinking it wouldn't be the case). I highly doubt this exam will be any different. For every person grinding during this time there's another person who is struggling. Not everyone has the same home environment to study for it.

That being said, I think we're very lucky right now to have this time and I'm hoping that we don't get slammed with clinical stuff in July right before the exam.

Averages are never constant, so I can’t imagine that scores won’t go up dramatically
Averages have been 53-57 for the last 7 years (ever since this exam was given), which seems pretty constant to me. It's possible it goes up, but a lot of schools are starting up again the end of May/June. Lots of time to forget things especially with all the make up work everyone is going to have to do. When there is so much information to know, your knowledge definitely peaks. Hopefully you're peaking right before the exam. It's interesting because a lot of medical students taking step 1 actually think their step 1 averages will go down with this pandemic.

I also don't think the CBSE is going to be given in August. I think JL will have to delay it to be fair to everyone. Those people in more populated states are 100% not going to be able to find an open test center. Unless you live in a state like Arkansas or something, you're going to have to travel pretty far to find somewhere to take the exam, which isn't fair imo.

Last edited:
Class of 2022 - most competitive class for OMFS applicants. I'm calling it. Scores are gonna jump for sure. Even low 60s average will mean X more 70s and 80s must have happened.