Avg stats for ER matches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the average board scores for those who matched into ER? Also, how competitive is ER nowadays?

Members don't see this ad.

bruinkid said:
What are the average board scores for those who matched into ER? Also, how competitive is ER nowadays?

do a search on sdn for this, there are about nine billion conversations about this. my stats 200 step 1, 225 step 2, pass cs. not great, much worse than most, but i have a job in EM, so i did something right. SLORs count for quite a bit in EM

kbrown said:
do a search on sdn for this, there are about nine billion conversations about this. my stats 200 step 1, 225 step 2, pass cs. not great, much worse than most, but i have a job in EM, so i did something right. SLORs count for quite a bit in EM

I think strong LORs will go a long way. That being said I think having steps and GPAs around the avg will go a long way. Some programs are real competetive. Many look for your 3rd yr grades and LORs and count them more than other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being the author of a book helps... a nobel prize nomination should earn you a couple solid interviews too.

Dude your grandma is slow, I assume she had hip replacement or something, my g-ma had a torn acl when she was younger and she ran a sub 4.2 40. Also she benched 225 18 times. If your g-ma isnt this strong EM might be a tough road to tow for you.

waterski232002 said:
Being the author of a book helps... a nobel prize nomination should earn you a couple solid interviews too.

And you better have worked for NASA.

EctopicFetus said:
Dude your grandma is slow, I assume she had hip replacement or something, my g-ma had a torn acl when she was younger and she ran a sub 4.2 40. Also she benched 225 18 times. If your g-ma isnt this strong EM might be a tough road to tow for you.

:laugh:

But how did she do on the Wonderlic? 6 might cut it in the NFL. Not in EM!

cdql said:
:laugh:

But how did she do on the Wonderlic? 6 might cut it in the NFL. Not in EM!

Needless to say they let her take it a 2nd time and she got a 15.. still on the outside looking in... But man can she read defenses,

and while i'm not an advocate for this, sleeping your way into residency seems effective. at least for Ectopic's gramma anyway! :laugh:

krust3 said:
and while i'm not an advocate for this, sleeping your way into residency seems effective. at least for Ectopic's gramma anyway! :laugh:

Well she must not be that solid in the sack since she is still working on getting in. This must not be all that common.

bruinkid said:
What are the average board scores for those who matched into ER?

a little higher than those that matched into OR.

Don't you hate it when people say, "I want to practice ER." Do you mean EM? I wasn't aware that you could practice a room. In my off time, I like to play the orchestra room.

bruinkid said:

As you can see from the responses there are a lot of people tired of hearing this question asked. But of course most of them wanted to know themselves but now since they're in a program find it fun to sarcastically mow someone else over.

I had a Step I 192 (ouch!) but got a 232 on Step II, go figure, and am from a foreign school (SGU) (ouch again!). But I had honors in all my EM clinical rotations as well as in surgery and ob/gyn (go figure/ouch again!). I had outstanding letters, 3 from EM docs, including a residency program director, and 1 letter from a chief of surgery stating why he thought I'd make a great EM physician. I applied to 15 programs, got 9 interviews and am a 1st year EM resident, loving every minute.

Don't get down if you screwed up step I, but work your butt off for step II and take it before you start applying, adding it if you do better than on step I. Get good letters, and it doesn't hurt getting one from a surgeon who says why you'd be good in the ED...several of my interviewers were very impressed with this. Good luck.

ER-ER-Oh said:
As you can see from the responses there are a lot of people tired of hearing this question asked. But of course most of them wanted to know themselves but now since they're in a program find it fun to sarcastically mow someone else over.

I had a Step I 192 (ouch!) but got a 232 on Step II, go figure, and am from a foreign school (SGU) (ouch again!). But I had honors in all my EM clinical rotations as well as in surgery and ob/gyn (go figure/ouch again!). I had outstanding letters, 3 from EM docs, including a residency program director, and 1 letter from a chief of surgery stating why he thought I'd make a great EM physician. I applied to 15 programs, got 9 interviews and am a 1st year EM resident, loving every minute.

Don't get down if you screwed up step I, but work your butt off for step II and take it before you start applying, adding it if you do better than on step I. Get good letters, and it doesn't hurt getting one from a surgeon who says why you'd be good in the ED...several of my interviewers were very impressed with this. Good luck.

I dont know if it is just because people are tired of answering the question (as you can see I did answer) but that things besides step scores matter a lot. I got interviews at better places than people who score 10-15 points higher than me. IMO it was cause my 3rd yr grades were strong and my LORs (from heresay) were as well.

What do u think of waiving or not waiving your right to see LORs..

RayF said:

I think you should definitely waive them, because if I were a PD and I saw that it wasn't waived, then I would know you would definitely pick the strong ones to show me. And then the LOR's wouldn't mean as much to me. But then again I'm no PD, yet :)

I agree with Jack. My advisor was basically like if you arent gonna waive them then dont even bother asking for one. Most people if they arent gonna write a decent LOR will say something like "I dont feel comfortable doing that". If you get that response be thankful and leave and ask someone else.

RayF said:

i rotated with a kid who wrote one of his letters of recommendation. his letter writer told him to write it and he would sign it. pretty f***ing wrong IMO, but hey whatever. Anyhow, if you do not waive your right, i have heards similar to other posters, that they will feel that you either had input into your letter or handpicked the best letters.

waive your right. USUALLY people who will offer/volunteer to write you a letter don't want to do so to screw you.

good luck

bruinkid said:

here you go for me, I remember freaking out too:
Bottom 1/3 of class
step 1 215
step 2 241

honored about 1/2 of third year stuff
PM me with questions

Oh I applied to 35 programs got 27 interviews went on 11 and matched at #1
crazy I know.
good luck

later