balance between child and going to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzll

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greeting everyone,

I was just accepted by a good pharmD program. But I don't know if I can handle it because I have to take care of my 1-year-old baby alone. Will it be practical for me to go to school as well?

Any input will be appreciated.

zzll

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a support network in place, then you'll be fine. You'll definitely need someone though, because if your school is anything like mine, you'll have a heavy class load plus labs, tests, etc, and so there will be times when you will be away from home from morning to evening. Most day cares close around 6:30, which means you'll need someone to pick up your baby.

As far as stress and being able to do the work, that should be no big deal. That's not to say it won't be hard, but if you got in, then I'm sure you can pull at least a C average. It's just the childcare part that I would worry about. You'll need some reliable help.

Thanks a lot for your input. Maybe I should ask the school about the schedule. Well, even if students don't need to stay on campus after 6, I'm still concerned about sickness and some unexpected situations.

If you have a support network in place, then you'll be fine. You'll definitely need someone though, because if your school is anything like mine, you'll have a heavy class load plus labs, tests, etc, and so there will be times when you will be away from home from morning to evening. Most day cares close around 6:30, which means you'll need someone to pick up your baby.

As far as stress and being able to do the work, that should be no big deal. That's not to say it won't be hard, but if you got in, then I'm sure you can pull at least a C average. It's just the childcare part that I would worry about. You'll need some reliable help.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are programs that help pay for daycare, as it can get pretty expensive. See the info in this link:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ccb/parents/

There will be unexpected sicknesses and other things come up, without a doubt. That's why you should use any available resources to help watch him/her or help taking them to the doctor, etc. Also, at least at my school, they're very understanding about an emergency or something come up and allowing you to take a test on another day. Also, friends in class have been extremely helpful with giving me notes, recordings, handouts, or anything I need.

congrats on your acceptance! Not sure where you are going to go to school, but at my school the office of student and curricular affairs was always there to help students who had extra challenges (like fulltime care of a child!) - there might be programs in place for students to get low cost childcare, and at ucsf the staff are very supportive and there have been cases where students take an additional few quarters (or a year) to complete the entire program. It's all decided on a case by case basis but they tend to be supportive to help you complete the program once you are admitted.

good luck!

I think the support system is key. If you have family in the area and they are willing to help then go for it. If not, I don't know what to tell you except where there is a will, there is a way.