Balance between MCAT and GPA/EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drew28982898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT back today, and kinda bombed it with a 504 (126/124(fml)/126/127). I'm trying to create a school list, as my AMCAS was submitted in June for verification but without any schools added. A synopsis of my application includes: ORM, 3.91 cumulative / 3.75 science GPA, 2,000 hours of clinical work at a Scribe, 300 hours with COVID vaccine/testing, 1,750 hours of non-clinical work at the family business and in food, 750 hours of research with publication authorship, and approximately 500 hours of community service with underserved communities. Personal statement and the app has a decent story to medicine with an emphasis on underserved and immigrant health.

So when making this school list... Is there some leeway between median GPA (on MSAR), and balancing it with a decent GPA? Is there like a range of MCAT scores on MSAR that would be suitable for me on MSAR maybe? Is there like a hard cut off? For example, one friend got into a school with a 513 median with a 506 MCAT. I'm also going to be applying to DO schools. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try these MD schools with your stats:
East Carolina
North Carolina
Wake Forest
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
ACOM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
WVSOM

Reactions: 1 user
You could try these MD schools with your stats:
East Carolina
North Carolina
Wake Forest
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
ACOM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
WVSOM
Thank you! I'm going to look further into these tonight!
Looking further into these schools... Quite a few have MCAT averages quite high at 510-513. Would theses still be smart to apply to?

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm going to look further into these tonight!
Looking further into these schools... Quite a few have MCAT averages quite high at 510-513. Would theses still be smart to apply to?
Some are reaches, but is difficult to find MD schools to apply to with a MCAT of 504. You have a high GPA of 3.91 which may help.

Reactions: 1 user
It you want MD only then check UQ-Ochsner, it’s foreign medical school though but have their own residency programs.