Bcps 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone? I know it's a long ways off but I have too much to do this summer (get married for one thing) to take it in 2009.

Do we use the PSAP VI or are the VII books coming out? Or does that only matter in terms of getting the CE credits?

Members don't see this ad.

So apparently you don't *need* the PSAP books, but I'm wondering if it's worth the money. They're a good reference, I used them at various rotation sites, but they are $$$ and take up a lot of room. I wonder if the prep course book alone is sufficient?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the BCPS. Like all of my friends, I thought it was difficult. I believe we are going to find out the results in dec or jan. Crossing my fingers!

I took the BCPS. Like all of my friends, I thought it was difficult. I believe we are going to find out the results in dec or jan. Crossing my fingers!
Good luck :luck: What are your recommendations for someone taking it next year? I heard there used to be quite a bit of stats on it, but I haven't talked to anyone who's taken it in the last few years.

Thanks!

Just took the test in October. Results came back first week of December.

My thoughts on the test...

Not an easy test at all. I would recommend taking it after a clinical residency. Pretty intimidating, almost all of the people I knew that took the test were residency trained clinical pharmacists, clinical pharmacists that has worked 5+ years, or professors at pharmacy schools.

Stats/QI/hospital admin questions were 20% of the test

Clinical Acute Care was 40%

Clinical Outpatient Care was 40%

Min pass was 121. Average was 132. Range was 49-187. Std Dev 23.
Assuming normal bell curve, probably 66% passing rate.

I believe people who work in a hospital clinical environment have the advantage. I had to relearn a good part of the IP subjects (ID, AC, fluids & elec, Onc - supportive care, IM, CC). Spent 2 months studying for the test which gave me enough time to thoroughly read the prep books twice.

Would not recommend the PSAP books. It's overkill and I feel that most of the questions that are on the test were in the book. If you study from the prep book real well, it's enough to pass. If you want to kick ass, then you're practice experience and other studying material will give you the edge.

I ended up target studying topics that I felt were my weakest.

As for the benefit of the test,...it's another 4 letters after you name which gives you a benefit against another candidate (assuming everything else is the same).

Just took the test in October. Results came back first week of December.

My thoughts on the test...

Not an easy test at all. I would recommend taking it after a clinical residency. Pretty intimidating, almost all of the people I knew that took the test were residency trained clinical pharmacists, clinical pharmacists that has worked 5+ years, or professors at pharmacy schools.

Stats/QI/hospital admin questions were 20% of the test

Clinical Acute Care was 40%

Clinical Outpatient Care was 40%

Min pass was 121. Average was 132. Range was 49-187. Std Dev 23.
Assuming normal bell curve, probably 66% passing rate.

I believe people who work in a hospital clinical environment have the advantage. I had to relearn a good part of the IP subjects (ID, AC, fluids & elec, Onc - supportive care, IM, CC). Spent 2 months studying for the test which gave me enough time to thoroughly read the prep books twice.

Would not recommend the PSAP books. It's overkill and I feel that most of the questions that are on the test were in the book. If you study from the prep book real well, it's enough to pass. If you want to kick ass, then you're practice experience and other studying material will give you the edge.

I ended up target studying topics that I felt were my weakest.

As for the benefit of the test,...it's another 4 letters after you name which gives you a benefit against another candidate (assuming everything else is the same).

Thanks for the info. Do you have any opinion on whether it's worth going to ACCP's prep course in April? I'm studying with a coworker and we're using last year's prep book until the new one comes out in June. I don't think he's going to ACCP but I'm about 90% sure I am.

Don't need to bother with PSAP books. Overkill.

If you know the prep book inside and out, you'll be good to go. I would also get the recorded lecture as well.

If you have the PTO and $$$, I'd recommend you to go the the class. It's a tax write off, so you're paying 60% of the cost at the end.

Also, if you have the recordings and the book already, I would not bother to attend the class. The files do not change that much from year to year.

dumb question, what's the difference between the PSAP books and the prep materials? Are the prep materials the ones you get from the website? And the lectures are worth it?

wow :eek: $330 for just mp3 files of the lectures. I wonder if they have clearance versions of the old edition or sell them on ebay.

I went to the prep course and I am so glad I did. I'm far from knowing the books inside and out but hopefully by October I will be there.

Naf - once I calculated the cost of the of the meeting minus how much cheaper the books and MP3s were if you attended, it was worth it to for me to go to ACCP. The prep books are way different than PSAP, they are basically really condensed pharmacotherapy books with case questions. PSAP is a huge 11-volume series. One of the lecturers specifically said NOT to study the PSAP :laugh: I definitely wouldn't get the lectures without the prep books, I think they would be hard to follow.

I just used the prep books. I did not buy the lectures or attend the course. I passed with flying colors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think the best study tool is your practice experience.

I have a lot of practice experience but I don't think I'll pass because I probably have a different perspective on pharmacy practice vs. the person who wrote the test.

Hi! I am new to the forum but definitely did my research and read all old threads and posts about the BCPS. My questions are as follows:

1. Does anybody know what the passing rate is?

There are tons and tons of posts about what to study or focus on, and it seems that you should study everything, esp if you're weak in that subject area. But my question isn't what topic, but which materials/edition. I know there's a new edition every year, but can I prep with previous editions? I plan on taking the BCPS in 2011, but want to get a head start now and take my time. ("The best laid plans....," right?)

2. I will purchase the newest edition then, but can I study off of material from 2005 or 2008?

Thank you! Any input will be appreciated. http://img2.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

T0014

A quick question for those who took the BCPS past years... were the questions in the ACCP review book on the same difficulty level as those encountered on the actual exam? Or do the ACCP review book questions just give you a false sense of security?

iam preparing for BCPS exam in 2010
idont have good practice experience
but iam tring do my best in studying accp book
i was looking for more info about it
i found that topics in content outline are different from ACCP

I thought I'd piggyback off Turtle0014's post a few months ago...

I finally decided that I'm taking the test this October. I have the 2009 Prep Course books...would it be worth the money to spend $150 for the 2010 books? Or $360 for the book + slides + mp3's? Or do you think the 2009 books alone should suffice?

Thanks in advance.

I thought I'd piggyback off Turtle0014's post a few months ago...

I finally decided that I'm taking the test this October. I have the 2009 Prep Course books...would it be worth the money to spend $150 for the 2010 books? Or $360 for the book + slides + mp3's? Or do you think the 2009 books alone should suffice?

Thanks in advance.

I took it last year. I bought the 2009 books and saw a copy of the 2008 books...they were very similar.

bumping this up.

Anyone take it last month? How was it?

** I am looking for anyone willing to review for the BCPS with me. I am taking the current tests and I have been studying for it. I can do particular topic discussions or series of topics. Let me know in your response if you have any preference. Thanks.

Dr. Phil

My Background: Hospital Pharmacist for 15 yrs, completed Pharm.D. last year, currently training as hybrid clinical and staff.

What is your study schedule like? Are you spot studying, or going through the information from the seminar page by page?
I started out strong, studying sections week by week prior to ACCP in April, then I fell off the wagon hard. Now I'm just listening to the lectures now on my computer and following along with the books.

You'll be fine! Study stats/trial design...
Ugh. Yeah, I've studied it so many times; my recall on the other hand is not so great.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.

Was that you on another thread who said the ACCP books are enough for this area? If not, what do you think having already taken it?

The ACCP books are pretty good. I actually used my class notes for this section because how my prof had explained it during school just made sense to me.

Most of the stats questions give you a chart/table or a clinical trial. The questions ask you to interpret the stats (would you use a t test vs chi sq?) or to calculate an NNT, etc.

I am taking the test in Oct too. Anybody in NYC like to go over the material with me? Anybody will take it at Philodelphia site? Please let me know.

Does anyone study for the BCPS 2010 using the home-version prep course? If so, I'd like to discuss CE answers for studying purposes. The correct answers are not available until December...:confused:

Does anyone study for the BCPS 2010 using the home-version prep course? If so, I'd like to discuss CE answers for studying purposes. The correct answers are not available until December...:confused:
I'm not using the at home version because I went to ACCP in April. What do you mean about the answers? Are you using the Prep Course books?

I'm not using the at home version because I went to ACCP in April. What do you mean about the answers? Are you using the Prep Course books?

Yes, it's the Prep Course books with the CD-rom. I went the "cheaper" way since I didn't have time to attend the study session in April. For those purchasing the "home-study version", we can claim CEs by completing the CE questions. They are pretty good questions but the answers are not available until December. In addition, they'll tell you how many you got wrong but not exactly which one...so it's not very helpful...

Yes, it's the Prep Course books with the CD-rom. I went the "cheaper" way since I didn't have time to attend the study session in April. For those purchasing the "home-study version", we can claim CEs by completing the CE questions. They are pretty good questions but the answers are not available until December. In addition, they'll tell you how many you got wrong but not exactly which one...so it's not very helpful...

That's stupid! Where are the questions? Are they on the CD-ROM or in the book?

That's stupid! Where are the questions? Are they on the CD-ROM or in the book?
The questions are through the ACCP website with access restricted to those purchasing the product. Anyway, I'm just going to try my best...Time is running out...I find it so hard to retain everything :mad:

I feel alright. Knew some stuff, guessed on some other stuff. Glad to be done! Congrats to everyone who made it through the exam!

Thanks for the good wishes, folks. Right now I'm just glad it's over and I can stop studying for awhile. :D I probably didn't pass, but that's OK; some of the best pharmacists I know failed BCPS on the first try.

Me too! Glad it's all over. I think the number of STATs questions were a little excessive. I guessed quite a bit, especially I've done peds in the last 10 years. Probably wont pass it, but the learning process is worth it. I feel better as a pharmacist already.