Best DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrogers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post here and ask what the best DO schools in the nation are?

I know DMU is up there, and I have every intention of applying, but I'm not sure where else to apply.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search function. This topic has been beaten to death.

Reactions: 1 users
Use the search function. This topic has been beaten to death.
You mean you don't want yet more premeds to assemble a "tier list" of all the DO schools they have never even visited?

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) delete thread
2) use search function

I'll sum up what you'll find:
-tiers of DO schools don't exist
-if they did exist, it would be the public schools> the original 6> older schools> newer schools> DO schools in the Caribbean > Liberty

Reactions: 3 users
There are DO schools in the Caribbean???

jk

Reactions: 2 users
Why public over original 6? More resources?

Public schools aren't "better" than the original 6. For instance I wouldn't say Rowan SOM is better than CCOM. Both are fine institutions that give you a good education. The only reason to choose public over a private school like CCOM is if you can get an instate tuition. You can't go wrong with either of the old schools or public.

Reactions: 1 user
Why public over original 6? More resources?
No reason, it's just the SDN conventional wisdom that more dollar signs = better.

Allow me to add some more "guy on internet" conjecture. These are the things I am concerned about long-term as a medical student:

1.)How much dedicated board study time do I get next year, and what does the 2nd-year spring semester course load look like?
2.)Will my core rotations be at hospitals that don't suck? Will there be a lot of pre- and post-graduate medical education there?
3.)Does my school have any kind of reputation or name recognition with residency program directors in the region I want to do my residency in?
4.)Am I going to have the opportunity to get letters of recommendation from residency program directors in my desired specialty prior to interview season in 4th year?

Add to that a previous question during my school selection process: Am I comfortable living near this school for a minimum of 2 years? Will I be happy there?

My advice is make your choice based on the answers to questions like that. The rest, IMO, is window dressing. Most DO schools are pretty much comparable, and the important differences depend on the applicant.

Public schools aren't "better" than the original 6. For instance I wouldn't say Rowan SOM is better than CCOM. Both are fine institutions that give you a good education. The only reason to choose public over a private school like CCOM is if you can get an instate tuition. You can't go wrong with either of the old schools or public.

Another would be greater research opportunities. I know this would apply for basic sciences, but not sure how much so for clinical.

Another would be greater research opportunities. I know this would apply for basic sciences, but not sure how much so for clinical.

That's true, but that seems like something that would vary by school and not basically fall under a blanket statement of "public schools are the best"

No reason, it's just the SDN conventional wisdom that more dollar signs = better.

Allow me to add some more "guy on internet" conjecture. These are the things I am concerned about long-term as a medical student:

1.)How much dedicated board study time do I get next year, and what does the 2nd-year spring semester course load look like?
2.)Will my core rotations be at hospitals that don't suck? Will there be a lot of pre- and post-graduate medical education there?
3.)Does my school have any kind of reputation or name recognition with residency program directors in the region I want to do my residency in?
4.)Am I going to have the opportunity to get letters of recommendation from residency program directors in my desired specialty prior to interview season in 4th year?

Add to that a previous question during my school selection process: Am I comfortable living near this school for a minimum of 2 years? Will I be happy there?

My advice is make your choice based on the answers to questions like that. The rest, IMO, is window dressing. Most DO schools are pretty much comparable, and the important differences depend on the applicant.

Basically what this ^ guy said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leafs are going for McEichel this year. Gonna be hard to catch Buffalo though.

Oilers are in the mix for the worst. I hope mcdavid doesn't go there. Oilers ruin everyone

Oilers are in the mix for the worst. I hope mcdavid doesn't go there. Oilers ruin everyone

especially that Gretzky guy...

We all know it's all about the Rangers in the original 6 ;)

Harvard College of Osteopathic Medicine is the best one I have heard of...

Reactions: 3 users
Stanford's got a pretty legit program too

There's no sort of ranking system anywhere. And there's not a database like the MSAR yet for DO schools. You'll just have a do a bit more work on your own to narrow your list down.

While schools may vary in terms of age, facilities, etc., none of them has an Ivy League name, and none have a reputation that is going to make or break your career. I think it mostly comes down to personal preference. Do you mind living in the Midwest, or would you rather stick to the coasts? Would you prefer to stick to a city, or are you okay with living in the middle of nowhere? Do you prefer a lecture-based curriculum, or are you interested in problem-based learning?

Look through the AACOM information booklet, look at schools' websites and match lists, and look through SDN threads to see what others have to say about their interview experience. Personally I began the process of narrowing down my list by cost and geographic location (sorry AZCOM and Lewisburg, WV).

For me, the best DO schools are PCOM (PA), NSU and ATSU (KCOM). Why you may be asking yourself? Because, they are the ones that accepted me :).

I didn't apply to DMU b/c of location. There are no public DO schools in NY, so I didn't apply to any public schools either. Honestly, all schools are fine, but I'd favor the more established schools over the newer ones.

I just wanted to post here and ask what the best DO schools in the nation are?

I know DMU is up there, and I have every intention of applying, but I'm not sure where else to apply.

Thanks.
Dude... I'm sorry you are about to get LAID into

The one(s) where you get an acceptance letter with a curriculum that fits you, hopefully in a geographic area that also fits you.