Best Southern Cities for a psychiatrist to live in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milan95

Reaction score
Best southern cities in terms of psychiatrist pay, availability of jobs, good school systems and a pleasant living environment

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Define "pleasant living environment." What's your tolerance for heat and humidity? How well off do you plan to be in the coming Water Wars?
lower crime rates, nice people, plenty trees and greenery, bodies of water, art, music and history to enjoy. Would prefer a smaller city with peace and quiet. Great tolerance for heat. Would like to stay away from water war zones

Last edited:
Anywhere that's not blue and won't turn blue
I am a minority but I have been treated very poorly in blue areas compared to red areas, so fine with this lol

Reactions: 3 users
lower crime rates, nice people, plenty trees and greenery, bodies of water, art, music and history to enjoy. Great tolerance for heat. Would like to stay away from water war zones

I mean Houston isn't bad if you don't mind a swamp. Plentiful jobs in the huge health center area. Lots of stuff to do. Terrible traffic. Crime in a few areas, but that's pretty much any metro. I'd never live there again, but it's some people's cup o tea.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean Houston isn't bad if you don't mind a swamp. Plentiful jobs in the huge health center area. Lots of stuff to do. Terrible traffic. Crime in a few areas, but that's pretty much any metro. I'd never live there again, but it's some people's cup o tea.
I should have added a little bit of peace and quiet lol. Would like to stay away from massive metros. I am finding smaller, less congested cities with still good QOL are my thing

Reactions: 1 users
I should have added a little bit of peace and quiet lol. Would like to stay away from massive metros. I am finding smaller, less congested cities with still good QOL are my thing
I do not know about pay or jobs or anything but look into the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Pass Christian, Long Beach, Bay St. Louis, Gulfport area.

Depends on how Southern you want to be, but Louisville and Lexington, KY might work well on your list. Louisville is the less Southern of these but plenty of water and good QOL. For various historical and contingent reasons Lexington punches way above its weight class when it comes to fine arts/culture/nightlife stuff. Lots of gorgeous architecture and plenty of history in both.

Reactions: 4 users
Charleston seems amazing..wish it wasn't so saturated

I'd consider a suburb or town near the major Texas cities first. Maybe then Nashville. I personally like Missouri, but that might not be warm enough. I feel like Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana are going to have problems with very poor social services compared to other places.
Watch out for hurricanes on the gulf.

Have a friend in Charlotte who is an adult psychiatrist, it's been a good experience for him over the past several years. CoL is still reasonable but definitely a bit bigger/growing of a city then you may be looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mexico City
Rio De Janeiro
Buenos Aires
Cape Town

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I asked this question to ChatGPT-4:

Determining the "best" city depends on individual preferences and priorities, but I can suggest a few southern cities that tend to have a good reputation in terms of psychiatrist pay, job availability, quality school systems, and pleasant living environments. Some of these cities include:
  1. Austin, Texas: Known for its vibrant culture, strong economy, and excellent schools, Austin offers a high quality of life. The healthcare sector is robust, and there are numerous opportunities for psychiatrists.
  2. Raleigh, North Carolina: Raleigh is part of the Research Triangle, which is known for its strong job market, particularly in healthcare and research. The city boasts good schools and a relatively low cost of living.
  3. Charlotte, North Carolina: Charlotte is another city with a thriving economy and growing healthcare sector. It offers a mix of suburban and urban living options, with good schools and various recreational activities.
  4. Atlanta, Georgia: As a major metropolitan area, Atlanta offers a wide range of job opportunities, including those in healthcare. The city has good schools and diverse neighborhoods, but traffic can be a concern.
  5. Nashville, Tennessee: Nashville is known for its thriving healthcare industry, and it has a growing demand for mental health professionals. The city has a mix of urban and suburban living options, with good schools and a rich cultural scene.
Keep in mind that this list is not exhaustive, and other cities might be more suitable depending on your specific preferences and priorities. It's important to research and visit potential cities to get a feel for what each one has to offer before making a decision.
Then I asked it based on OP's additional desires:
Based on your preferences for lower crime rates, greenery, water, arts, music, history, and a smaller city with a peaceful and quiet atmosphere, here are some suggestions:

1. Greenville, South Carolina: This charming city is known for its low crime rates, friendly people, and beautiful downtown area. It has an abundance of green spaces, including Falls Park on the Reedy River, and a thriving arts scene. Greenville is also located near the Blue Ridge Mountains, offering many opportunities for outdoor activities.
  2. Asheville, North Carolina: Asheville is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains and boasts a vibrant arts and music scene. The city has a rich history, beautiful architecture, and plenty of green spaces. There are also numerous bodies of water nearby, including the French Broad River.
  3. Chattanooga, Tennessee: Chattanooga is surrounded by mountains and has the Tennessee River running through it. The city offers a peaceful environment with a strong focus on arts, music, and history. There are plenty of green spaces and outdoor recreational opportunities in and around the city.
  4. Tallahassee, Florida: As the capital of Florida, Tallahassee has a rich history and vibrant arts scene. With warm temperatures year-round, it's a great choice if you can tolerate heat. The city is surrounded by beautiful parks, forests, and lakes, and it's a short drive from the Gulf of Mexico.
  5. Savannah, Georgia: Savannah is a smaller city with a rich history, stunning architecture, and a thriving arts scene. The city is known for its beautiful parks, tree-lined streets, and squares. It's near the Savannah River and not far from the Atlantic Ocean.
These are just a few examples of smaller cities in the Southern United States that may offer the combination of qualities you're looking for. Remember that personal preferences can vary, so it's always a good idea to visit and research each city to determine if it's a good fit for your needs and lifestyle.
Then the final iteration based on OP's third comments about the desires:

I apologize for any confusion. Based on your preferences for smaller, less congested cities with a good quality of life, here are some suggestions that offer peace, quiet, and the other features you mentioned:

1. Beaufort, South Carolina: This historic coastal town offers charm, greenery, and a rich cultural scene. It's situated between Charleston and Savannah, so you can enjoy the amenities of larger cities without the congestion.
  2. Fairhope, Alabama: Located on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay, Fairhope is a small town known for its natural beauty, artsy atmosphere, and friendly community. It boasts a picturesque downtown area, tree-lined streets, and easy access to the water.
  3. Aiken, South Carolina: Aiken offers a peaceful, small-town atmosphere with an equestrian heritage, historic charm, and vibrant arts scene. The city is surrounded by nature, including parks, gardens, and the nearby Hitchcock Woods, one of the largest urban forests in the United States.
  4. Fredericksburg, Texas: Fredericksburg is a small city in the Texas Hill Country, known for its German heritage, wineries, and scenic beauty. The city offers a peaceful atmosphere, with a rich history, art galleries, and live music venues.
  5. Eureka Springs, Arkansas: This Victorian-style town is nestled in the Ozark Mountains and offers a peaceful and quiet atmosphere. Eureka Springs is known for its natural beauty, art galleries, and music festivals. The town also has a rich history and offers plenty of outdoor activities.
These suggestions are smaller cities or towns that emphasize peace and quiet while still providing a good quality of life, greenery, water, arts, music, and history. Remember that personal preferences can vary, so it's always a good idea to visit and research each city to determine if it's a good fit for your needs and lifestyle.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Oh so now suddenly we think the bot has something to add?

Jk, jk :)

• Haha
Have a friend in Charlotte who is an adult psychiatrist, it's been a good experience for him over the past several years. CoL is still reasonable but definitely a bit bigger/growing of a city then you may be looking for.
about 30 mins north of Charlotte Mooresville/troutman area may be the sweet spot. Surrounding area has a lot of country. Not sure how the pay is around the area though.

LOL This is my favorite comment ever. Thank you! I am going to the Carolinas!

If you are not picky with your beaches, South Padre Island, TX area has had some psychiatrists lose their licenses from inappropriate behavior lately. These were older docs with large case loads. So the openings and need is there.

• Wow
lower crime rates, nice people, plenty trees and greenery, bodies of water, art, music and history to enjoy. Would prefer a smaller city with peace and quiet. Great tolerance for heat. Would like to stay away from water war zones
Need to clarify how small you want. Do you prefer a smaller city with no traffic or "art music and history to enjoy" as in many cases that is going to be mutually exclusive, or at least more of a sliding scale where you pick relative amounts of one vs the other.

Charleston for example you mentioned would be great but everything I've ever read about that place, and interviewed there, is that the traffic has become God-awful due to population growth and bottlenecks getting on/off the island.

Need to clarify how small you want. Do you prefer a smaller city with no traffic or "art music and history to enjoy" as in many cases that is going to be mutually exclusive, or at least more of a sliding scale where you pick relative amounts of one vs the other.

Charleston for example you mentioned would be great but everything I've ever read about that place, and interviewed there, is that the traffic has become God-awful due to population growth and bottlenecks getting on/off the island.
that is a pity about Charleston, I always thought they had a good balance but I suppose things are changing. If I had to pick I would pick a busier city with arts to enjoy, as long as there is a peaceful residential area that I can retreat to.

How locked into the south are you? Plenty of places check this off in the lower midwest if you don't mind being a lake person instead of the ocean...

How locked into the south are you? Plenty of places check this off in the lower midwest if you don't mind being a lake person instead of the ocean...
Not locked in the South at all. It doesn't have to be near the ocean, I like a good lake! I would love some great midwest recommendation as well! Thanks!

Hard to say cause even in states with worse education you could be in the town that's an exception. Also several southern states don't have enough psychiatrists which increases job security but work in these areas you have less support. So then does it make this situation for the doctor better or worse? Complicated.

Can you pls put in chatgpt place not blue and won't turn blue?

Can you pls put in chatgpt place not blue and won't turn blue?
If you are looking for smaller cities or towns in more conservative-leaning states that offer a good quality of life, greenery, water, arts, music, and history, here are some suggestions:
  1. Abilene, Texas: Abilene is a small city located in West Texas with a friendly atmosphere and a low cost of living. The city has a rich history and offers cultural amenities such as museums, art galleries, and a performing arts center.
  2. Prescott, Arizona: Prescott is a historic city with a small-town feel, surrounded by the natural beauty of the Arizona high desert. The city offers a pleasant climate, outdoor recreational opportunities, and a vibrant arts scene.
  3. Huntsville, Alabama: Though it is home to a growing technology industry, Huntsville still maintains a small-town atmosphere. It is known for its low cost of living, good schools, and access to nature. The city also has a strong arts and music scene, as well as a rich history in the space industry.
  4. Pigeon Forge, Tennessee: This small town is located in the Great Smoky Mountains and offers a peaceful environment with beautiful scenery. Pigeon Forge has a thriving arts and music scene, with attractions like Dollywood, and is near numerous outdoor recreational opportunities.
  5. Branson, Missouri: Branson is a small city known for its live music shows, family-friendly atmosphere, and natural beauty. Nestled in the Ozark Mountains, Branson offers a low cost of living, a strong sense of community, and plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities.
These suggestions are based on the conservative-leaning political climate, but it's important to remember that individual cities and towns can have different political leanings within a state. It's always a good idea to research and visit each place to determine if it's a good fit for your preferences and lifestyle.
And of course it messes up because Arizona is definitely not a southern state, and also a blue state now.

Last edited:
Yeah Chat-GPT is good at writing emails/codes and that’s pretty much it. I used it extensively and the more I have interacted with it the more unimpressive it becomes. Our jobs are safe.