Big Change in Interview Suits this Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has taken a few years but for the first time, I'm seeing most applicants wearing something other than black suits. It is so nice to see groups of applicants on campus not looking like somber funeral processions.

Most of the suits I'm seeing are shades of gray or dark blue. Well done! Thanks SDN for getting the word out that there are better choices for interview suits than black.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 59 users
Most of the suits I'm seeing are shades of gray or dark blue. Well done! Thanks SDN for getting the word out that there are better choices for interview suits than black.

I would like to give credit to those who tirelessly dispense advice to fashion-ignorant applicants like me on the interview clothing threads. Thank you.

Reactions: 11 users
Pretty much if you're going to Mens Warehouse for a suit, you goofed up big time lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is still black, but only because it was the only one I could find which just...fit perfectly and looks good on me. Fortunately I am a girl and can wear a nice pop of color with my shirt.

Reactions: 1 users
I have also noticed a suspicious trend of black oxfords and polka dot socks.

Pretty much if you're going to Mens Warehouse for a suit, you goofed up big time lol
Men's Wearhouse*

People don't give that pun enough credit, given that their marketing team probably spent countless hours debating whether or not they should use it :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Mine is still black, but only because it was the only one I could find which just...fit perfectly and looks good on me. Fortunately I am a girl and can wear a nice pop of color with my shirt.

I saw an eye-popping shirt and tie combination today... Eye-popping colors -- not just for girls anymore.

It seems that as the black suits decrease, the amount of extremes (incredibly bright colors, ridiculous outfits) increases. How peculiar.

yeah i've seen some extremely poor sartorial choices on the interview trail, which is nuuuuts. one girl in a miniskirt, another in a muscle tank and sweater combo, a guy in jeans.

how to you jump through so many flaming hoops, only to **** up on the final step of such a difficult process? it boggles the mind.

It seems that as the black suits decrease, the amount of extremes (incredibly bright colors, ridiculous outfits) increases. How peculiar.

Reactions: 6 users
You're all welcome. Bunch of ingrates :p

Eh, not true. JAB/MW can do pretty well if you know what you're looking for. They have some decent stuff, you just have to know a bit more about menswear or get lucky with a good SA to walk out with something good.

Surprisingly, I've seen a good number (i.e., at least two) black suits at each residency interview day. The message didn't spread vertically.

Give it a few years, my words will make their way through the forum. With @Winged Scapula leading the charge we will persevere!

Reactions: 3 users
I always thought it was common knowledge that gray and navy are the go to colors; black is way too formal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought it was common knowledge that gray and navy are the go to colors; black is way too formal.

You'd think men would know how to dress well too, but many don't.

You'd think men would know how to dress well too, but many don't.
Why would you think that?

With the "casualization" of our culture, young men cannot be counted on to tuck their shirts in, to don well fitting clothes (rather than the baggy cargo shorts/jorts) and coordinating ensembles; its almost a rarity to find someone that really knows how to dress well. In addition, you add the bordering on homophobic fear that hetero men equate with being well dressed and its a lose-lose situation.

Reactions: 9 users
Nope.

If these forums are a cross section of the community, its pretty uncommon knowledge which is somewhat surprising given that the average SDNer probably comes from an upper middle class, professional, white collar family with presumably some knowledge of attire and fashion.

Nope.

If these forums are a cross section of the community, its pretty uncommon knowledge which is somewhat surprising given that the average SDNer probably comes from an upper middle class, professional, white collar family with presumably some knowledge of attire and fashion.

Just going to point out there are plenty of UMC, professional, white collar families which do not spend much, if any, of their family time or professional time at occasions which require something as formal as a suit (see: engineers). That being said, it's pretty easy to observe what other people are wearing/do a Google search to find an appropriate interview outfit.

Fun anecdote: Having previously worked in a department full of engineers and people whose job it was to be in the lab/pilot plant, it was considered a serious aberration to be wearing a tie, much less a full suit, which was the province of upper management. A certain colleague of mine tended to wearing a tie with a children's cartoon character printed all over it to ridicule the situation.

Reactions: 4 users
Just going to point out there are plenty of UMC, professional, white collar families which do not spend much, if any, of their family time or professional time at occasions which require something as formal as a suit (see: engineers). That being said, it's pretty easy to observe what other people are wearing/do a Google search to find an appropriate interview outfit.

Absolutely true on both counts. And I was probably being needlessly classist because there are certainly people with little money and without exposure to professional dress who are able to put together a well coordinated well fitting event appropriate outfit.

Women students and residents are by farThe worst offenders of inappropriate interview attire. The SDN membership is evidence of that.

Absolutely true on both counts. And I was probably being needlessly classist because there are certainly people with little money and without exposure to professional dress who are able to put together a well coordinated well fitting event appropriate outfit.

Women students and residents are by farThe worst offenders of inappropriate interview attire. The SDN membership is evidence of that.
If I may ask, why?

I can understand not wanting everyone to wear black - grey is my personal favorite suit color - but saying you shouldn't wear it at all seems odd. It is one of the main colors offered for suits, and in the end, you've got to wear what fits.

Personally, I despise navy blue and would rather wear an oddly-colored suit than that horrid color - but I wouldn't judge an applicant for wearing it.

yeah i've seen some extremely poor sartorial choices on the interview trail, which is nuuuuts. one girl in a miniskirt, another in a muscle tank and sweater combo, a guy in jeans.

how to you jump through so many flaming hoops, only to **** up on the final step of such a difficult process? it boggles the mind.
It seems to me that undergraduate schools would do well to hold seminars on appropriate dressing for job interviews. I know that some schools do but it looks like there's a lot more work out there to be done!

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's mostly related to wearing things like miniskirts, shirts that are way too fashion forward/low cut, and the fact that women are more likely to be judged harder in these situations (my personal thought).

See bolded text above. How are they the worse offenders? Most of the females I've met seem to know their interview attire, quite a bit more-so than males.
Guys who don't know what to do have the world's most standardized default.
Girls who don't know what to do to be professional have a lot of flexibility...and thus places to go wrong. 'Formal for cocktail party' ≠ 'Formal for interview' for girls, while it may cut it for guys if they aren't super extravagant at baseline.

Reactions: 5 users

Hey, I have a really nice suit from Men's Wearhouse! Granted, it's a nice brand, I had it tailored,... and with the special-ordered shoes and everything else it ended up costing almost $900. You can get some bad looking suits there, but if you have taste, they'll take care of you.

Don't get your suits from JC Penny... lol.

Hey, I have a really nice suit from Men's Wearhouse! Granted, it's a nice brand, I had it tailored,... and with the special-ordered shoes and everything else it ended up costing almost $900. You can get some bad looking suits there, but if you have taste, they'll take care of you.

It comes down to color, styling, and fit. I bet I could walk into a jcpenny and find something that worked for my body and ends up costing less than half of what you paid with shoes and tailoring.

Seriously, it isn't rocket science put people get caught trying to be too trendy or pairing things horrendously.

It comes down to color, styling, and fit. I bet I could walk into a jcpenny and find something that worked for my body and ends up costing less than half of what you paid with shoes and tailoring.

Seriously, it isn't rocket science put people get caught trying to be too trendy or pairing things horrendously.

Yeah, that's fair. I really do like the suit I got for interviews, it fits me well and looks good. But I also used to wear suits to work in my former life, so I do have some experience.

Still, it's amazing how many guys think it's okay to wear white socks with a suit, or wear a white undershirt with a white shirt, or black shoes + brown belt, etc.

I often don't wear belts with a suit since I don't need one. Also, you don't need to wear one if you have suspenders, though I doubt many are wearing braces to med school interviews.

But yeah.

To be honest, the things you're pointing out aren't even deal breakers. I'm talking about things as bad as jackets that look like the person is drowning, pants that puddle all over the floor, ties that are bright red satin, wearing 'fun' socks, etc. Someone here posted that they saw someone wearing a thom browne esque suit.

In sum, you don't have to look like a model... Actually, I think having clothing that looks *too* good might be detrimental though I think it isn't a huge deal. The point is to look reasonably put together.

Most attendings I know look like they don't know how a suit should fit and I'm at a very good hospital. As long as someone walks in the door and looks like they're wearing a suit that is actually their size in a reasonable color, picked a tie that isn't gaudy, and a reasonable pair of socks and shoes, then they pass the decorum test. For some people, this is very difficult, most often just due to a total lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
A white undershirt with a white shirt is bad? Why?

...I wasn't going to ask, but yeah. What?
I get that perhaps you may see subtle outlines of the undershirt if the jacket is off, but in the most formal times, the jacket will be on...and also who cares?

Because if you take off your jacket, the undershirt is clearly visible and kind of tacky. If you wear a heather-gray undershirt instead, it won't be visible. It isn't as bad with blue or darker shirts. Yeah, your jacket will mostly always be on, but if you wear a white v-neck undershirt, you can still see the outline of the undershirt around your tie.

Reference:
http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/learn/six-no-nos-for-a-suited-man

See bolded text above. How are they the worse offenders? Most of the females I've met seem to know their interview attire, quite a bit more-so than males.

I think most young women thin more about clothes and fashion than most young men. Hence, they think that because they think more about clothes, they know more about interview clothes. And thinking they know, they don't research. Also, there's a strong tendency for women to want to "look good", which can translate into "too sexy" for interviews.

On the other side, most guys either know, or know that they don't know and do a little research. Again, the 'standard uniform' is so well known that a very little research is all that is really needed.

Because if you take off your jacket, the undershirt is clearly visible and kind of tacky. If you wear a heather-gray undershirt instead, it won't be visible. Yeah, your jacket will mostly always be on, but if you wear a white v-neck undershirt, you can still see the outline of the undershirt around your tie.

Reference:
Maybe if you were interviewing for a fashion company, but I can't see anyone caring enough about that to matter.
But on that front, why bother wearing an undershirt at all? Seems like an unnecessary layer.
You don't have to answer, as I'm researching this stuff on my own, but I leave my comment anyway because even after seeing the common reasoning, my only response is 'who the heck cares about any of these tiny details, ever?'

Looks like someone was listening to you, colleague! Let's see if it floats over to my school.

It has taken a few years but for the first time, I'm seeing most applicants wearing something other than black suits. It is so nice to see groups of applicants on campus not looking like somber funeral processions.

Maybe if you were interviewing for a fashion company, but I can't see anyone caring enough about that to matter.
But on that front, why bother wearing an undershirt at all? Seems like an unnecessary layer.
You don't have to answer, as I'm researching this stuff on my own, but I leave my comment anyway because even after seeing the common reasoning, my only response is 'who the heck cares about any of these tiny details, ever?'

I always wear an undershirt because I tend to sweat a lot, even in lighter fabrics. Some people don't need them, but it makes me more comfortable. If I feel like I'm sweating through my dress shirt, I get really anxious. As far as the white undershirt thing goes, I just buy gray undershirts now by default since they won't show through the more translucent (white) fabrics. I thought it was a neat trick when I learned it. You do what works best for you, though.

You can pry my black suit from my cold, dead hands!

What can I say? I like black suits. *hides from the fashion police*

I always wear an undershirt because I tend to sweat a lot, even in lighter fabrics. Some people don't need them, but it makes me more comfortable. If I feel like I'm sweating through my dress shirt, I get really anxious. As far as the white undershirt thing goes, I just buy gray undershirts now by default since they won't show through the more translucent (white) fabrics. I thought it was a neat trick when I learned it. You do what works best for you, though.
Ah, I'm a girl, so we have all sorts of lists of our own that I must abide by :p
Sadly, they don't seem to be making very many women's dress tops with any sort of sleeve these days, aside from the ill-fitting "hey let's just copy the guys' dress shirts even though everyone has known for decades that they don't work for even minimally endowed women", so I cannot take my jacket off, period :(

Nothing wrong with Men's Wearhouse. Obviously if you get a cheap suit off the rack it's going to be subpar, but I purchased high-end brand charcoal and navy blue suits there, and they're really nice.

Ah, I'm a girl, so we have all sorts of lists of our own that I must abide by :p
Sadly, they don't seem to be making very many women's dress tops with any sort of sleeve these days, aside from the ill-fitting "hey let's just copy the guys' dress shirts even though everyone has known for decades that they don't work for even minimally endowed women", so I cannot take my jacket off, period :(

If you know a good alterer, you can buy a button-up several sizes too large and have it altered to fit appropriately. A good alterer is worth their weight in gold.

If you know a good alterer, you can buy a button-up several sizes too large and have it altered to fit appropriately. A good alterer is worth their weight in gold.
I have never known anyone ever who has ever spoken to or considered using an alterer, and thus would have no idea how to even go about finding such a thing. Also, my net worth falls a bit short of 50kg of gold, and that's assuming a skinny/tiny alterer! :laugh: Plus, girls are not really expected to wear those shirts anyway; they're not really formalwear for women.
I'll keep trawling the mall occasionally, as much as I loathe shopping...there has got to be at least one decent lady's dress shirt out there which covers the shoulders.

Men's Wearhouse has a rather good selection of very nice suits. Jos A Bank, on the other hand..... *shudder*

I went to JCPenney. Spent $200 on a navy blue suit, two shirts, and a tie. After shoes, a matching belt, and tailoring, I spent about $300. It's cool that you can drop almost a thousand dollars on a suit, but some of us can't. Still look just as good though.

Reactions: 8 users
Just wear a burgundy or navy stripe tie. Light blue spread collar shirt.

There's a men's interview dress thread you should look at.

Because if you take off your jacket, the undershirt is clearly visible and kind of tacky. If you wear a heather-gray undershirt instead, it won't be visible. It isn't as bad with blue or darker shirts. Yeah, your jacket will mostly always be on, but if you wear a white v-neck undershirt, you can still see the outline of the undershirt around your tie.

Reference:

You realize that you should never take off your jacket at an interview like this, right?

It's different if you're in your office, but it's a huge no no in terms of professionalism.

I went to JCPenney. Spent $200 on a navy blue suit, two shirts, and a tie. After shoes, a matching belt, and tailoring, I spent about $300. It's cool that you can drop almost a thousand dollars on a suit, but some of us can't. Still look just as good though.

Probably not as good, but certainly more than acceptable if done right.

Just wear a burgundy or navy stripe tie. Light blue spread collar shirt.

There's a men's interview dress thread you should look at.

You realize that you should never take off your jacket at an interview like this, right?

It's different if you're in your office, but it's a huge no no in terms of professionalism.

Yes, of course, see what I said above.

Honestly, I think a lot of what LizzyM et al are seeing is because suits are starting to become trendy again so there's more interest. I would have suspected that one would have seen more garish patterns as well but it seems this might not be the case!

See bolded text above.

I'm sorry; I couldn't see the bolded portion on my phone.

How are they the worse offenders? Most of the females I've met seem to know their interview attire, quite a bit more-so than males.

Others have answered your query for me but I think its a combination of:

1) women *think* they know what's fashionable or looks well on them, so they don't research what's appropriate for medical school and residency interviews
2) women have trouble differentiating from "dress-up" as you would do for an interview and "dress-up" as you would for a party; hence the not uncommon mini skirt, shiny fabrics, FM heels, high slits, cleavage, etc.
3) they have many more options than men do
4) like some men, they may feel they are a special flower and that it doesn't matter what they wear because their "true" self will award them a position or that the rules don't apply to them
5) lack of role models; I'd venture that more males have a male role model who dresses professionally than women do

So most women understand that they can wear trousers or a skirt; many understand that means a matched suit. But there are some who go horribly wrong for the reasons listed above. Others need fine tuning because of some common misconceptions and/or a complete lack of interest and understanding for things fashion.

IMHO the men's interview threads around here are mostly fine tuning ("does this tie look good with this suit", "how about these shoes") whereas the women's thread often contains pictures of dresses, suits, shoes, and coats that are pretty far off from the ideal and in some cases, laughably so.

Reactions: 3 users
My suit is charcoal because it was the only option I had (yay for being tall?). I give credit to those people who can sensibly reach out from the standard black/blackish colors.