Big Change in Interview Suits this Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It has taken a few years but for the first time, I'm seeing most applicants wearing something other than black suits. It is so nice to see groups of applicants on campus not looking like somber funeral processions.

Most of the suits I'm seeing are shades of gray or dark blue. Well done! Thanks SDN for getting the word out that there are better choices for interview suits than black.

And to think SDN shamed me for a modest navy pin stripe suite ;)

Members don't see this ad.

It has taken a few years but for the first time, I'm seeing most applicants wearing something other than black suits. It is so nice to see groups of applicants on campus not looking like somber funeral processions.

Most of the suits I'm seeing are shades of gray or dark blue. Well done! Thanks SDN for getting the word out that there are better choices for interview suits than black.

You heard it here first folks, in order to stand out at the interview you need to wear a black suit or else you will be just another face in the crowd and be rejected.

Reactions: 2 users
I prefer black suits and will continue wearing them to my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
But on that front, why bother wearing an undershirt at all? Seems like an unnecessary layer.

Sweating through a dress shirt looks nasty. YouTube "Steve Ballmer Developers." lol

I'm sorry; I couldn't see the bolded portion on my phone.

Others have answered your query for me but I think its a combination of:

1) women *think* they know what's fashionable or looks well on them, so they don't research what's appropriate for medical school and residency interviews
2) women have trouble differentiating from "dress-up" as you would do for an interview and "dress-up" as you would for a party; hence the not uncommon mini skirt, shiny fabrics, FM heels, high slits, cleavage, etc.
3) they have many more options than men do
4) like some men, they may feel they are a special flower and that it doesn't matter what they wear because their "true" self will award them a position or that the rules don't apply to them
5) lack of role models; I'd venture that more males have a male role model who dresses professionally than women do

So most women understand that they can wear trousers or a skirt; many understand that means a matched suit. But there are some who go horribly wrong for the reasons listed above. Others need fine tuning because of some common misconceptions and/or a complete lack of interest and understanding for things fashion.

IMHO the men's interview threads around here are mostly fine tuning ("does this tie look good with this suit", "how about these shoes") whereas the women's thread often contains pictures of dresses, suits, shoes, and coats that are pretty far off from the ideal and in some cases, laughably so.
I see. Never knew how much of the picture I wasn't seeing -- thank you for your detailed response!

Reactions: 1 user
So what's wrong with Jos. A Bank exactly? I mean, yes, the do sell pleated trousers and some of their stuff wouldn't look out of place on a 60 year old guy in a baptist church, but they do have adjusters there who will take your measurements and make certain the suit fits properly. Is it overpriced? Probably.

I don't know anything about Men's Wearhouse so I'd appreciate some input.

The thing about pleated trousers is that they can look awesome. Even some of the best brands sell pleated pants. I want my suits to have a single pleat because they drape much better. Besides, you're wearing a suit, that part of the pants is never visible...

Sometimes the sales associates in those places just don't know how to fit you. Nothing wrong with jab or mw if you know what to look for. Just a lot of bad options present there.

And to think SDN shamed me for a modest navy pin stripe suite ;)

Just because they're are people doing worse things doesn't mean you're doing great.

I prefer black suits and will continue wearing them to my interviews.

I'm sorry to hear that you would like to continue to dress terribly even though you know better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
i went to men's wearhouse, got two suits alterations, two shirts, two ties, and a pair of suits for a grand. i just didn't want to have to mess with buying a cheaper suit somewhere else and having to find a 3rd party tailor, etc. men's warehouse has been great in customer service. lifetime alterations/repairs for free. also, they sent me coupons for another $100 off so i bought two pairs of pants w/ alterations for $40 after that.

yes a lot of money, but i look damn good.

I have also noticed a suspicious trend of black oxfords and polka dot socks.
One guy on my interview trail had superman socks. It wasn't obvious unless he really lifts his leg though.

I have never known anyone ever who has ever spoken to or considered using an alterer, and thus would have no idea how to even go about finding such a thing. Also, my net worth falls a bit short of 50kg of gold, and that's assuming a skinny/tiny alterer! :laugh: Plus, girls are not really expected to wear those shirts anyway; they're not really formalwear for women.
I'll keep trawling the mall occasionally, as much as I loathe shopping...there has got to be at least one decent lady's dress shirt out there which covers the shoulders.
I thought alterers were expensive too, so I just kept on without using one. Then one day, I realized I really needed one. I use one in New York called Alteration master. It costed only 50 to have my suit jacket refitted. I also know another one in NoHo, a smaller shop that suppose to cost a little bit more but not too much more. I love the end results. Having an unusual body shape and proportion, I would have forever look like that I don't know how to dress without the alteration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Why would you think that?

With the "casualization" of our culture, young men cannot be counted on to tuck their shirts in, to don well fitting clothes (rather than the baggy cargo shorts/jorts) and coordinating ensembles; its almost a rarity to find someone that really knows how to dress well. In addition, you add the bordering on homophobic fear that hetero men equate with being well dressed and its a lose-lose situation.
For the most part, my classmates are reasonably well-dressed, even on a casual day. Me, I was born a t-shirt and jeans slob and I'll die a t-shirt and jeans slob.

Truth be told, I know my sizing pretty well and have a place I trust for alterations. I buy most of my suit stuff used. Works for me and I end up with awesome stuff for a pittance.

My entire interview getup cost me about 300-400 and the retail on that stuff would have been in the realm of 2.5-3K.

Since bought a different shirt since I wanted a nicer collar. Might skip the pocket square on interview date or atleast stuff it in way more.

yes a lot of money, but i look damn good.

I guarantee it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Truth be told, I know my sizing pretty well and have a place I trust for alterations. I buy most of my suit stuff used. Works for me and I end up with awesome stuff for a pittance.

My entire interview getup cost me about 300-400 and the retail on that stuff would have been in the realm of 2.5-3K.

Since bought a different shirt since I wanted a nicer collar. Might skip the pocket square on interview date or atleast stuff it in way more.

I guarantee it.
Boy you look sharp! Nice simple tie and the shoes are just the right color

Boy you look sharp! Nice simple tie and the shoes are just the right color

Exactly. I usually wear a sportcoat to work and definitely wear more adventurous ties during the week, but interviews are about dressing appropriately and not drawing much attention to your clothes.

These are the two ties I have for med school interviews. Other candidates are navy with white pin dots (similar to the one below with red dots but it has white dots) or green with white pin dots:

900x900px-LL-a341862d_DSC00912.jpeg

900x900px-LL-74797dc4_tar9_zpsc9b6dc36.jpeg

With the dark blue/navy suits that you are seeing, are they typically wearing black or brown shoes? Thoughts on color preference? I feel like I personally prefer brown, but my personal preference really isn't important here :)

Many thanks!

With the dark blue/navy suits that you are seeing, are they typically wearing black or brown shoes? Thoughts on color preference? I feel like I personally prefer brown, but my personal preference really isn't important here :)

Many thanks!

Black is always fine, but if you want to go brown, go dark brown like the picture above or burgundy/cordovan/oxblood. Tan is not 'appropriate'.

Diagonal lines are supposed to be best for interviews because they draw people's eyes towards your face.

Diagonal lines are supposed to be best for interviews because they draw people's eyes towards your face.
Interesting theory

Tan is not 'appropriate'.
It also adds a jaded feeling to your appearance, not a good thing when you competing up against so many bright, young and hopefuls

It also adds a jaded feeling to your appearance, not a good thing when you competing up against so many bright, young and hopefuls

Not sure what you mean, but my point is that they're more suited for casual wear.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean, but my point is that they're more suited for casual wear.

I'd always made an association between tan and horseback riding ---> casual. I haven't seen anyone on the interview trail wearing inappropriate attire (although some dude showed up in a polo, jeans, and sneakers... maybe (hopefully) the airline lost his luggage?). Yeah, I'd skip that color family in a suit.

Surprisingly, I've seen a good number (i.e., at least two) black suits at each residency interview day. The message didn't spread vertically.
It might take four years for a trickle-up effect, considering that so many wear the same suit to med school, residency, and even fellowship interviews.

I guarantee it.

Nice tie dimple. Dude, so few people dimple their ties, man.

What kind of watch are you wearing? I love horological devices.

I thought alterers were expensive too, so I just kept on without using one. Then one day, I realized I really needed one. I use one in New York called Alteration master. It costed only 50 to have my suit jacket refitted. I also know another one in NoHo, a smaller shop that suppose to cost a little bit more but not too much more. I love the end results. Having an unusual body shape and proportion, I would have forever look like that I don't know how to dress without the alteration.
I was trying to make a pun off your 'worth their weight in gold' comment.
I failed, ah well.

I am pretty much the shape that most women's clothing manufacturers default to...thus with a little digging, I often find a really nice fit off-the-rack. I just hate shopping, and nobody is putting sleeves on their shells these days (which I get, because they're awkward under the jacket sleeves...but nice when you take it off).

Since I have that option, I am reluctant to ever buy a jacket which doesn't fit me...why would I do that when I don't know an alterer and have no idea what is alterable and what isn't? I just need to find a nice one in grey, which I would eventually if I didn't hate shopping so dang much! :laugh:

Nice tie dimple. Dude, so few people dimple their ties, man.

What kind of watch are you wearing? I love horological devices.

Thanks!

It's a hamilton khaki auto chrono. Was a graduation gift from my folks (I bought it used lol). I have that and a seiko orange monster as a 'fun' watch. Would love to have a nicer watch, but it's too indulgent of a purchase for now. I've been keeping my eye out for a vintage omega seamaster, but the repairs on those can be way too costly at times. I would love one of those. So simple.

Someday I'll have an IWC...

I was trying to make a pun off your 'worth their weight in gold' comment.
I failed, ah well.

I am pretty much the shape that most women's clothing manufacturers default to...thus with a little digging, I often find a really nice fit off-the-rack. I just hate shopping, and nobody is putting sleeves on their shells these days (which I get, because they're awkward under the jacket sleeves...but nice when you take it off).

Since I have that option, I am reluctant to ever buy a jacket which doesn't fit me...why would I do that when I don't know an alterer and have no idea what is alterable and what isn't? I just need to find a nice one in grey, which I would eventually if I didn't hate shopping so dang much! :laugh:

I can look at a series of measurements for a jacket and know right away what is alterable and what isn't. It doesn't take that long to figure out, especially if you have something that fits well. You can just measure that!

Thanks!

It's a hamilton khaki auto chrono. Was a graduation gift from my folks (I bought it used lol). I have that and a seiko orange monster as a 'fun' watch. Would love to have a nicer watch, but it's too indulgent of a purchase for now. I've been keeping my eye out for a vintage omega seamaster, but the repairs on those can be way too costly at times. I would love one of those. So simple.

I can look at a series of measurements for a jacket and know right away what is alterable and what isn't. It doesn't take that long to figure out, especially if you have something that fits well. You can just measure that!
That still wouldn't give me knowledge of what is alterable...and girls clothes aren't grouped by measurements like guys' , so I'd have to be measuring things in the store, which would be weird. Also, hate shopping, I am not going to make it a 2 stage process.
It's fine...I can find clothes which fit me. I hate fashion and I don't care about making my suit look 0.5% nicer than the average, at all...I take comfort in the fact that looking professional is more about fitting in than standing out, which suits me just fine. There is a standard, I stick to that, I try on a bunch of off-the-rack stuff until one fits me. I will never wear navy blue because it is an awful color on girls, imo, and because you have to wear boring shirts under it. That is the extent of my shopping, and while I appreciate the tips, it just sounds like an awful lot of hassle for very, very little gain.

Someday, maybe, if I get called to go on Nat'l TV next to the President (hopefully I won't), I'll bother with suit alterations.

Many thanks!

I don't ever look at their shoes. At least not the men's shoes. Not my thing....

in the end, as long as you look decent, your attire will not play too much of a role in your admission or rejection.

now if you are fantastically and appropriately put together and you get an interviewer who can appreciate that, you may get a slight upper hand, but if you wear an armani suit and your interviewer shops at target (no hate on target.. i love target!) (obviously they won't be wearing target clothes though... hopefully), then your "above and beyond" will go unnoticed.

BUT almost everyone can pick out stupid looking outfit mistakes (white socks, tie way too short, way too long, swimming in your suit, look like you can't breath, etc) and you will stick out in their heads in a bad way.

that's my take on it at least. i'm certainly no member of an ADCOM, but i feel like this is pretty accurate for the majority of cases.

in the end, as long as you look decent, your attire will not play too much of a role in your admission or rejection.

now if you are fantastically and appropriately put together and you get an interviewer who can appreciate that, you may get a slight upper hand, but if you wear an armani suit and your interviewer shops at target (no hate on target.. i love target!) (obviously they won't be wearing target clothes though... hopefully), then your "above and beyond" will go unnoticed.

BUT almost everyone can pick out stupid looking outfit mistakes (white socks, tie way too short, way too long, swimming in your suit, look like you can't breath, etc) and you will stick out in their heads in a bad way.

that's my take on it at least. i'm certainly no member of an ADCOM, but i feel like this is pretty accurate for the majority of cases.

These are my thoughts as well. It isn't a fashion show and you shouldn't draw undue attention to yourself.

I just like menswear and like geeking out with others that do. Figured that some people on this site would appreciate some guidance on the matter if they were contemplating purchases and that's been the case.

These are my thoughts as well. It isn't a fashion show and you shouldn't draw undue attention to yourself.

I just like menswear and like geeking out with others that do. Figured that some people on this site would appreciate some guidance on the matter if they were contemplating purchases and that's been the case.

I can understand wanting to dress really nicely if you have the funds and desire to do so, however it still needs to be appropriate for the situation. Obviously a tux, no matter how much you love them, is way over the top. Same thing with your favorite pair of khakis... sorry just not going to cut it.

I can understand wanting to dress really nicely if you have the funds and desire to do so, however it still needs to be appropriate for the situation. Obviously a tux, no matter how much you love them, is way over the top. Same thing with your favorite pair of khakis... sorry just not going to cut it.

I don't understand what a tux or khakis have to do with anything I've said. err?

Technically herringbone is a mini stripe so even more of them to bring the viewer up to my face. Never heard that one before.

Thanks!

Nice! I've got a Hamilton Khaki King on a brown leather strap. Great little watch.

I'm also a big fan of Seiko. I don't own a Monster yet, but I have a Sumo and a BFK with Pepsi bezel.

You can find good deals sometimes on a used Seamaster on Watchuseek.

Love IWC. My current Grail is a Panerai Luminor.

Nice! I've got a Hamilton Khaki King on a brown leather strap. Great little watch.

I'm also a big fan of Seiko. I don't own a Monster yet, but I have a Sumo and a BFK with Pepsi bezel.

I personally rock an Invicta, top Swiss quality made in the USA for a reasonable price.

I'm sorry to hear that you would like to continue to dress terribly even though you know better.

I received several compliments from my interviewers. I think I dress professionally, thank you.

Sdn does seem to go overboard at times.

Last edited:

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out.

I don't like panerai. Not my aesthetic.

I personally rock an Invicta, top Swiss quality made in the USA for a reasonable price.

Invicta has some nice designs for those whose like the large cases, but as far as the quality of the movement when compared to the price point, I think a Seiko movement in the same price point would be better.

For Swiss watches that are more affordable, Tissot is not a bad choice.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out.

I don't like panerai. Not my aesthetic.

Heh. Fair enough.

I bought a Grand Seiko SBGV005 on Watchuseek about a month ago, got a great deal on it. Dude bought it in August but decided he didn't want it anymore. Deals on there aren't always great, but if you're patient enough, you can get some really quality gear at a good price.

I wore a tan Hart Marx to an interview once since the rest of my suits were at the cleaners. Actually got in that school.

I guarantee it.

Very, very astute! If you're willing to buy second hand, you can get some absolute steals on barely worn suits and ties. If you've got a suit that fits you, measure it and head to ebay. Some of the deals will shock and awe you -- $2,500 Brooks Brothers suits for $150, $1500 Canali jackets for $50. Still plenty of budget room for any needed tailoring --

I never would have guessed this was a big a deal, or something anyone would take note of.

I've been wearing a light gray suit to interviews and getting lots of compliments from interviewers and current med students, mostly just for it being something besides black. I'd say the majority of applicants I've interviewed with have worn black suits still.

Light grey is slightly more casual, but can be acceptable. I personally wouldn't do it for interviews, but there are far worse options!

Very, very astute! If you're willing to buy second hand, you can get some absolute steals on barely worn suits and ties. If you've got a suit that fits you, measure it and head to ebay. Some of the deals will shock and awe you -- $2,500 Brooks Brothers suits for $150, $1500 Canali jackets for $50. Still plenty of budget room for any needed tailoring --

You have to know your stuff though. Some of that stuff is very very old. My suit is probably from the late 90's or early 2000's but hasn't seen much wear which is good. Some of the suits/jackets on sale on ebay are really old and look dated.

But yeah, it's a great place to find some stuff. Also consignment shops.

At UCSD I got a compliment on my grey suit from a student that was almost exactly what you said..."You're the only one who doesn't look like he is on the way to a funeral!" :)

It might take four years for a trickle-up effect, considering that so many wear the same suit to med school, residency, and even fellowship interviews.

I am pleased to report that I am wearing the same navy blue/green plaid dress with black suit jacket that I wore for my med school interviews... and I am again surrounded by a sea of mourners in black. Looking forward to this trend hopefully continuing!