Bio/Econ Double Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McKinseyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising sophomore at HYPS looking to apply as an MD/MBA candidate in 2018. Would double majoring in Biology and Economics improve my chances? Or should I stick to one major (currently leaning towards Biology)?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would improve your chances inherently. But if you're gunning for MD/MBA you should have some experience with business/finance. Realize that often times people apply MD only and then apply for an MBA once they are in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Would a summer internship at an investment bank count? Or is that too unrelated to medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Would a summer internship at an investment bank count? Or is that too unrelated to medicine?

That would be pretty sweet actually. Just make sure to have medical extracurriculars so that you can convince adcoms that medicine is the primary goal.

It won't really do much for your med school application but that's hardly a reason not to do it. There are few experiences you'll learn as much(or make as much) in 10 weeks than that.

It won't really do much for your med school application but that's hardly a reason not to do it. There are few experiences you'll learn as much(or make as much) in 10 weeks than that.

I think this is right in most cases, but at one interview at a top 10 I was at, there was a person in an identical situation (HYP grad in Wall Street IB going to medicine) and the dean of admissions thought it was really cool and talked to this person for a while about it. I don't know whether said person was accepted to this school, but if you're interested in it, I don't think it will hurt (and may help). As for the major, it probably won't matter at all, though an Econ degree may (potentially) help with actual stuff related to your job years down the line.

I did 3 summers of internships at a competitive BB program while majoring in finance/econ and a med related field at a HSW target.

It won't have a noticeable effect on med school apps unless you work for many years on Wall St. and then go non-trad. It does, however, pay very well (I got >>10k per summer, learning interesting stuff), and provides you with a terrific, competitive field to go into if you do decide against medicine.