Bioengineers Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
abeanatrice said:
That makes me sort of sad. Did they give any indication of why this is the case? I have heard that many programs are more pro-bioE MSTP students than others (i.e. Baylor, WashU), but to go out and say, no, we don't want BioE's here... :(

Slight correction on what you said so no misinfo is spread...they didn't say "we don't want BioE's here" but rather, "if you want to join a BioE graduate program we currently don't offer anything for you here." If you're a bioE who wants graduate training in molecular bio, biochem, etc., you'll be welcomed with open arms (well, not anymore than any other applicant, lol, but you know what I mean...). :D

Members don't see this ad.

aunaturel said:
How about Mayo? they have bme, no?

Mayo does have a BME program, but from what I know its pretty limited in its scope. It seems like the imaging labs are where most of the action is at. I graduated with a degree in BME and am starting MD/PhD at Mayo right now, but I don't plan on getting a degree in BME. The one really nice thing about Mayo is that you can work in one department while getting a degree in a different one (e.g. get a pharmacology degree while working in a biochemistry lab), which adds a lot of flexibility and encourages cross-talk between departments. If you're interested, I can try to find more info for you (it might take me a while, orientation starts next week). Just PM me, and I'll try my best! :)

Emory/GaTech
Baylor/Rice
Hopkins
Harvard/MIT
Penn
UCSD
UCLA (/Caltech- 2 slots)
Northwestern
LSU-S/LaTech
Michigan (need GRE)
Pitt
Vandy
UW
UTMB/UT-Austin
CWRU (for PETP, need GRE)
Duke
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
UCSF/Berkeley (?) (BME not listed in AMCAS)
Utah
Rochester
Penn State
UVa
UNC - Chapel Hill
University of California, Irvine
U Illinois Chicago (non-MSTP) (BME not listed in AMCAS)
University of Cincinnatti

Members don't see this ad :)
dan0909 said:
UCSF/Berkeley (?) (BME not listed in AMCAS)

I would take this one off the list. I would be going there if it were offered.

Feel free to change it! :D No one is in charge here (except maybe Neuronix)

List:

Emory/GaTech
Baylor/Rice
Hopkins
Harvard/MIT
Penn
UCSD
UCLA (/Caltech- 2 slots)
Northwestern
LSU-S/LaTech
Michigan (need GRE)
Pitt
Vandy
UW
UTMB/UT-Austin
CWRU (for PETP, need GRE)
Duke
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
Utah
Rochester
Penn State
UVa
UNC - Chapel Hill
Mayo (imaging focus)

Time to resurrect this thread. I added UIowa to the list. Awesome biomechanics/orthopaedics labs.

For those in MSTP BME programs already, or those of us on our way, what areas are you most interested in? Theory, modeling, devices? Nano, micro or macro? Just trying to get a feel of research directions engineering mudphuds are taking.

List:

Emory/GaTech
Harvard/MIT
Hopkins
LSU-S/LaTech
Mayo (imaging focus)
Michigan (need GRE)
Northwestern
Penn
Penn State
Pitt
Rochester
Stanford
U Iowa
UCLA (/Caltech- 2 slots)
UCSD
UNC - Chapel Hill
Utah
UTMB/UT-Austin
UVa
UW
Vandy
Wash U
Yale

ninebillion said:
A few of the more recent posts on this forum have mentioned biomedical engineering, so I was wondering just how many people are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in engineering. Out of those interested in BME, who's applying this year and who's already in a BME program?

Add me to the list. I am pretty new here, just stumbled on the site a few days ago. However, will be applying next summer/fall to an MSTP program and will be looking at Bioengineer as the specific for my PhD. Currently hold a degree or two in Engineering, so this seems more a natural fit.

One thing I have noticed is that for me the schools I am looking at are more geared to the area of focus that some of the labs/researchers are practicing there. More so than just a name/reputation of the school or program. Further, most schools have about 4-5 major research efforts (tissue engineering, Neural Engineering, or Imaging) and then labs/researchers investigating different aspects of those concentration areas.

Really have to dig deep in the concent of the labs to see where and what each is investigating.

Rob

Adding to this list. And also adding my own research interests. I actually work for a EE MD/PhD who also has appointment in the newly formed BIOE department at UIUC. Although the BIOE department here is new, there are a large number of faculty working in the BIOE/BME field ranging from the EE department to chemistry and physics. Our lab's reserach interests is on the development of imaging and spectroscopic techniques for cancer diagnosis and treatment which includes the development of not only technologies but also molecular agents for targeting and treatment.

List:

Emory/GaTech
Harvard/MIT
Hopkins
LSU-S/LaTech
Mayo (imaging focus)
Michigan (need GRE)
Northwestern
Penn
Penn State
Pitt
Rochester
Stanford
U Illinois Urbana-Champaign (non-MSTP)
U Iowa
UCLA (/Caltech- 2 slots)
UCSD
UNC - Chapel Hill
Utah
UTMB/UT-Austin
UVa
UW
Vandy