Books, Journals, literature to prepare for Family Med as a PGY-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

The last thread I saw about this was in the early 2000s (at least as per search function), so I apologize if this topic is a constant rehash...

I'm starting my intern year in family med, and I've been in a non-traditional situation where I've been working locum tenens as a GP for the last 2 1/2 years. It's been a mixture of clinical and non-clinical, but I've been out of a hospital for at least 3 years. I feel like I'm going to be at a disadvantage compared to the MSIV's just coming in regarding book knowledge. Can anyone recommend some sources for prepping some of the basics with family med prior to starting in July?

I've tried to do a critical self-assessment of my knowledge-base. By far, my weakest points are:

-OB/Gyn
-muscle/skeletal pathology/treatments/exam
-neuro/neuro exam
-critical care (probably less relevant)

Of course I'm not aces on all other topics, but these are ones I know I'm lacking in. Any help would be huge.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, congratulations on matching in FM. Welcome. I'm in my first year, and I've been looking for someone to do online review of the basics. I think this might be helpful to the both of us. Let me know if you're interested. We can work on Skype, my ID is successgirl2. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest a couple things.

AFP has absolutely great articles, its pretty much a pure review article journal. Just work your way through the various subjects you're worried about on there.

For MSK stuff, I really like Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care, I think the 5th edition might have just come out.