Boston University - 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to this school because I attended a graduate school fair to speak to the Harvard admission officer. When I was done, a representative called me over because they overheard me mentioned I was looking for an infectious disease epidemiology program, and they had one.

I'm a McNair scholar, and my research mentor encouraged me to apply to as many schools as I thought I'd be interested (since I don't have to pay to apply) in and see who offers me what financially before committing.

I'm interested in Boston because of its research funding, and the research that has come out of it. However, as I mentioned above I am leaving the country on an international research project in 3 weeks, and won't be back until the summer. I don't have time to visit the campus, and I'm on the West Coast and have never had the opportunity to visit Massachusetts.

Because of that, I wanted to know what factors made others commit to this school. We're all from different places, and have different and equally valuable perspectives. I'd love to hear about BU from other people's perspectives. That doesn't mean it's "not the school for me". Honestly, that comes across as a snotty and ignorant response, and I am quite taken aback that it's coming from a public health major.

Thank you, to everyone who took the time to reply. I thoroughly appreciate the different perspectives.

Welp. Oh well. I've never been known to be tactful. Just telling it like it is. If you're offended, that's cool. My reply still stands.

And my major is pretty much irrelevant to my personality, isn't it? Don't be silly.

Today I got an e-mail saying my finaid package was en route, and I should receive it within 10 business days. Unless Harvard decides they need another Jewish girl from South Florida, I'm following my gut. From day one BU was it. When I applied to my UGs forever and a half ago, I knew where I was meant to be. I got into some amazing schools, elite New England private schools that my parents couldn't believe I turned down to go to a small women's college. It was just right.

From that first moment I read about it, to my interview, etc. I knew. I don't know what it is about BU, but getting that acceptance e-mail I felt the same way, like it just fit. I've known my whole life that epi is where I belong, but for many reasons I went a totally different way for a long time. I took a leap of faith and I applied to my dream school, my dream program, and it all just fits. No other university has made me feel like they even cared that I applied, let alone got in. From the e-mails, mailings, calls, etc., BU has made it clear that while it is an investment on my part, it is also one on their end, and they believe in me and they want me there as much as I want to be there. Sometimes you just know.

Amen! Well, Tulane has also been pretty kind as well. GW gave me a "meh" experience when I called them. No one knew anything, I was transferred 5 times. Just all around annoying, and then I got that estimate...

Members don't see this ad.

I wish we knew more about the changes. If they really are trying to implement more practical application within the coursework, that could be incredibly beneficial. They mentioned something about increasing the number of concentration hours (which makes me think they may not be switching to only a generalist MPH), which could be useful.

I've been accepted with a small merit scholarship, so I'm very interested in hearing more about these changes. However, the tuition still would make the school a difficult decision.

I am compiling a list of what is known about the changes at BU, and I would be interested in hearing if the length of the mph will change. I'll probably post the info as some other applicants i know have asked for it as well. It seems a prudent idea to wait until March 11th to see what the new rankings are for expensive schools.

First, I think it is amazing that you're off to do fieldwork before school starts! My cousin is currently in Malawi, where he is a CDC medical officer and is working on heading a national program in obstetrics. The program's goal is to drastically reduce the rate of HIV transmission from mothers to babies. However, for a period, he was the CDC's Country Director for American Ebola Response in Liberia. If he and his family are still in Malawi during the summer of 2016, I am really thinking of going to do my practicum there and living with them (hey, free rent!). However, I'm still torn between reproductive epi and infectious disease, so we'll see. Now, moving on to the topic at hand.

My first suggestion is to contact Jonathan Cote (Director of Admissions, 617-638-4640, [email protected]) and ask for an extension in replying to your offer of admission. Your situation is one that absolutely should qualify! I've spoken with him and he's very kind. That way you'll for sure have extra time to make the right choice for you and once you make it, you'll have the extra time to make sure your documents arrive back in the US.

I have not officially accepted my offer at BUSPH; however, only two things can change my mind the probability of either happening are very low. First, I love the city of Boston. I love the rich history, not just seeing it, but that Bostonians know it. My first MA was in history, and while I wrote about malaria, American history generally still makes me happy. I also love the sports teams, but that's neither here nor there in this kind of decision - though it is fun to finally be there! I think the city is just beautiful, the people, the culture, etc. Yet, I won't officially accepting until I get my financial offer. Nor will I accept until I get a real handle on the upcoming MPH changes. I'll also like to know more about any MPH-to-PhD policies they have. I hope to officially accept while there for accepted student day.

When I was researching schools, there were so many different things that attracted me to BU. The faculty research diverse topics, not just within epi, but throughout SPH. They look at huge issues at the micro and macro levels. I've been getting the ASPPH Friday Newsletter for almost a year, and every Friday, BU is always mentioned - student, faculty, and alumni accolades, research publications, field contributions. It really seems that BU is making huge contributions. I like that the school is small, not Yale small, but not Emory huge. I love that it is a medical community, the public health, medical, and dental students. I love that if I get there, while taking the core courses, I can fall in love with MCH or Environmental, and I can switch because we're admitted to SPH, not to our program (except biostats because that has a huge math component). And, lastly for now because I'm super old and tired, I love that when I got accepted I got a call from a dean a few days later. I love that I got a welcome packet. I love that they are willing to work with you financially. I feel like they really go out of their way, a full court press, to let you know that they want you to join the community. With other schools I feel like it is just a bland business transaction. With BU, I feel like it is a cooperative, collaborative effort between students, admissions, departments, and student financial services. For me, this makes BU feel right.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really wish I could visit the school and ask about the curriculum changes...but I suppose I will have to rely on all you lovely people for updates! I'm currently in Mumbai working with an NGO on child malnutrition and women's health in Dharavi, an urban community you all know as the slum from Slumdog Millionaire (I hate that movie...).I considered returning to the US earlier but there's too much I have left to do. Do you think they would answer my questions about the curriculum if I emailed them? It's informal but I have no other way to affordably contact them.
I calculated my total budget for Pitt and BU, and unless BU extends the length of the program it's cheaper than Pitt. I like that BU tries to include your entire budget in financial aid- you really miss that when you go to public universities, in my own experience.

My first MA was in history, and while I wrote about malaria, American history generally still makes me happy.

There was malaria in the United States in the South for a time, before they built up the public health infrastructure and drained swamplands. American history is interesting, they have a show in Epcot in Florida about it.

Nor will I accept until I get a real handle on the upcoming MPH changes.

I will post a thread delineating what I know about the changes, which appear to be major and the biggest impact might be that faculty in the Fall of 2015 will be spending a lot of time on the new curriculum, and they set aside money to hire adjuncts to teach classes so they have more time for working on the changes. In Spring 2016, a certain number of students will get the new curriculum, but not everybody.

I really wish I could visit the school and ask about the curriculum changes...but I suppose I will have to rely on all you lovely people for updates! I'm currently in Mumbai working with an NGO on child malnutrition and women's health in Dharavi, an urban community you all know as the slum from Slumdog Millionaire (I hate that movie...).I considered returning to the US earlier but there's too much I have left to do. Do you think they would answer my questions about the curriculum if I emailed them? It's informal but I have no other way to affordably contact them.
I calculated my total budget for Pitt and BU, and unless BU extends the length of the program it's cheaper than Pitt. I like that BU tries to include your entire budget in financial aid- you really miss that when you go to public universities, in my own experience.

Each concentration has a curriculum coordinator. I would definitely give them a call or shoot them an email! I've already spoke to mine and she was very helpful.

http://www.bu.edu/sph/students/resources/guides/

They're the ones that help incoming students with our schedules from what I've read. I've figured they'll be more in the know than say, the receptionist. But everyone has been rather helpful whenever I've called or emailed them.

There was malaria in the United States in the South for a time, before they built up the public health infrastructure and drained swamplands. American history is interesting, they have a show in Epcot in Florida about it..

I love Disney! It's the only reason I won't be giving up my Florida residency. Well, that and no state income taxes. Although it ultimately was cut from my thesis, I wrote a chapter about the various works projects that led to the end of Malaria throughout the American South. Why they cut out all of my hard work - chapters that they requested to begin with - I'll never know. Grumble. Perhaps you can all come by the apartment I may or may not ever find and browse my extensive malaria section, lol.

I love Disney! It's the only reason I won't be giving up my Florida residency.

For the seasonal pass?

Although it ultimately was cut from my thesis, I wrote a chapter about the various works projects that led to the end of Malaria throughout the American South. Why they cut out all of my hard work - chapters that they requested to begin with - I'll never know. Grumble. Perhaps you can all come by the apartment I may or may not ever find and browse my extensive malaria section, lol.

Well, what's old is eventually new again. I don't know much about malaria in the U.S., but they could probably study and try to replicate some of the successes with malaria in the South for use in other countries. I kind of think that the new CD4/CCR5 blocker will do a lot to decrease the incidence of HIV/AIDS whenever it hits the market, maybe more global health dollars will then be available for malaria.

Reactions: 1 user
No seasonal pass, I haven't actually been in years. But I get like 30% off if I go because I live in Florida. Hotels, packages, etc.

I was recently, like maybe two days ago, reading an article about the realization that drug resistant malaria was very close to the Indian border with Myanmar, significantly closer than ever before thought. Well, we all know better, but insomnia kicked in and there I was reading the comments. One reader was adamant that we should go back to the public works projects model, put the working poor to work for the government (which made it sound like this person mean Americans, but they were super confused generally, so we'll just go with it) and they should just spray DDT everywhere, like it's 1944! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Then the people to fed the troll, bless them, could not get him to understand that DDT is illegal to use. It was just so special.

Never mind that the Indian and Burmese populations of "working poor" highly distrust anything to do with government (seeing as Myanmar's political sphere is oppressive and unstable and India's government is just plain corrupt)...Comment sections generally make me ugly laugh-cry, so I ignore them as much as possible.

Riiiight. There was just SO much going on there. I knew better than to read the comments, yet there I went thinking "Man, this won't be a terrible idea. This is an NPR article, readers of NPR are awesome!" WRONG. I am awesome. My friends are awesome. Other readers of NPR are not awesome.

NPR?? Well that's somewhat depressing...NPR does such a good job of presenting the issue simply and from many perspectives. One would think that their commenters wouldn't be trolls, but I guess it takes all types of people for the world to run... *shudders at the mere thought of yahoo articles*

Congrats everyone on their acceptance to BU! I still have not committed to BU but was wondering what all we have to do to apply for financial aid. I already submitted my FAFSA but is there an application BU wants us to fill out as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone on their acceptance to BU! I still have not committed to BU but was wondering what all we have to do to apply for financial aid. I already submitted my FAFSA but is there an application BU wants us to fill out as well?

Hey! There is! Did you get your welcome packet in the mail yet?
If yes:

Awesome, you have your BU student ID and you can go ahead and do everything. You need to file your taxes for this year. Once you do, mail them (or fax/email, but I chose to mail because I don't need my full name, birthday, SSN, etc. to get hacked) your signed tax return with copies of ALL of your W2s and 1099s. You'll need to use their SFS cover. In addition, you need to fill out an online form very similar, though more invasive, to FAFSA called Need Access. All of the forms and links you'll need are available here: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/sph/newfinaidapp/

If no:
File your taxes! As you read above, you'll need them. Once you get your welcome packet you'll have your student ID which you need for Need Access and to submit your taxes to BU.

Once SFS has all of your documents, you'll get an e-mail confirming your application status is complete and they will send you further details in 2-3 days. From there, I got an e-mail saying my financial aid offer was mailed, and should be here within 10 business days.

** NOTE ** If you're behind on this whole process, the last e-mail said that the admissions office is happy to extend commitment deadlines if you ask NOW and not April 14 because you're waiting on financial aid information. The longer we wait to apply for it, the longer it takes them to get the info to us as the number of students applying increases. Plus, this is just my suspicion having been through this as an undergrad and a graduate student before, but BUSPH has a limited amount of funds per year. If you wait until the last minute to apply, they may very well be out of funds for the 15-16 school year. Of course I cannot in any way confirm this, but it just seems to me that if you're very interested in BU, applying for need based aid earlier rather than later is in your best interest.

Yes I just received it this past week! Thank you for your help!! Yeah I'm pretty positive the earlier you apply for need based aid the better. I am still waiting to hear back from two other schools to see if I got accepted/declined to decide where I'll be going but have to start this need based application today!

I'm also waiting on two more schools, but one is an almost certain no and the other, unless given a substantial grant/scholarship, won't affect me.

I love Disney! It's the only reason I won't be giving up my Florida residency. Well, that and no state income taxes. Although it ultimately was cut from my thesis, I wrote a chapter about the various works projects that led to the end of Malaria throughout the American South. Why they cut out all of my hard work - chapters that they requested to begin with - I'll never know. Grumble. Perhaps you can all come by the apartment I may or may not ever find and browse my extensive malaria section, lol.

Ahhh, it's so hot here though. I was born and raised in Miami but I haven't lived in Florida for over 10 years. It's so miserably hot here, I feel like I'm melting half of the time. I've lived in cold places though, which is what I prefer (with the exception of Winnipeg cold). I remember when I moved back last summer, it felt like someone poured gasoline on me and set me on fire.

I live about 30 minutes from West Palm Beach somewhere in hillbilly land. Folks here walking around with no teefs, wearing hunting gear, and dear lord... I think I'm starting to sound hella country hanging around these folks too long :oops:

Ahahahahaha. Sounds like Loxahatchee to me, but I never leave this "city" unless I can take 95 and go North or South - for less than 10 minutes.

Ahahahahaha. Sounds like Loxahatchee to me, but I never leave this "city" unless I can take 95 and go North or South - for less than 10 minutes.

I had a very unpleasant experience when I was in dining at the Paris Bakery & Cafe on Olive Ave in DT West Palm. Three lawyers: two nasally *****ic girls and one balding middle aged man that was scouting for a new mistress. If I had to hear the word "like" one more time or hear another inane story, I was gonna jump out of the window. Although, I went there when I had post-concussion syndrome (probably still have it), so take my review with a grain of salt! The slightest bit of sound or light irritated me two months ago.

I don't recommend that place! Not Loxahatchee, but I'm on the Treasure Coast. Don't ever visit unless you want an old person to run you off the road.

Can anyone explain the strange vendetta that an amount of trolls have with this school? I simply cannot read an old BU thread without some random raving (novel long) about how ~horrible~ this school is. I simply do not understand it. I've had nothing but positive interactions with the staff and everyone has been extremely helpful whenever I needed their advice or had any questions.

This has been my experience at Tulane as well, with the exception of GW--but sometimes people have bad days and I'm willing to give peeps the benefit of the doubt. I'm not in the best mood at my 9-5 all the time, it often has very little to do with a client--somethings should not be taken so personally. It just seems like the way these posters are behaving, that BU killed their dog or something. Rather ridiculous if you ask me.

I got accepted a few days ago online, so I haven't received any information about admitted student's day. Does any one know of BU will be providing traveling funds for students to go to admitted student's day?

Can anyone explain the strange vendetta that an amount of trolls have with this school? I simply cannot read an old BU thread without some random raving (novel long) about how ~horrible~ this school is. I simply do not understand it. I've had nothing but positive interactions with the staff and everyone has been extremely helpful whenever I needed their advice or had any questions.

This has been my experience at Tulane as well, with the exception of GW--but sometimes people have bad days and I'm willing to give peeps the benefit of the doubt. I'm not in the best mood at my 9-5 all the time, it often has very little to do with a client--somethings should not be taken so personally. It just seems like the way these posters are behaving, that BU killed their dog or something. Rather ridiculous if you ask me.

I've noticed the same thing and it seems to keep happening. I'm wondering if it is because they don't as many students as, say, GW. I understand how snobby that sounds, and I don't mean for it to be offensive and rude even though that is exactly how it sounds. Like, in my head I have a ton of reasons why Yale blows because I didn't get in, but I know they are irrational and I just didn't make the cut. I'd never seek out a thread and vomit emotional hate/anger towards the school. I'd love to have a discussion with someone who was attended and didn't like it, or who was accepted and did visit day and was turned off by something or many things. That would be super helpful! But coming to tell all of us who are excited about BU that you just hateitsomuchomgworstschoolever without providing a real reason and your connection is invalidates everything you say. Substantiate your words!

Side note: I got my second Dachshund, Gus, from a breeder in Fort Pierce. I had him for 2 days then he went to the ICU and died 5 days later. Now that "breeder" is no longer able to sell AKC puppies, and her vet that certified Gus as medically fine lost his license. Mess with anyone and anything, fine, but don't mess with my dog. Also, I once (like, for a day, because there was a big planned protest at the CPC across the street) volunteered for the abortion clinic on 12th and Delaware. That is the full extent of my Treasure Coast knowledge. Oh, and Manero's Restaurant, but I don't know that Stuart is considered TC.

I got accepted a few days ago online, so I haven't received any information about admitted student's day. Does any one know of BU will be providing traveling funds for students to go to admitted student's day?

That's a super good question! First, welcome! What is your concentration? I'm epi, as is @oceanhue. I'm going to be talking to BUSPH tomorrow, so if I find out I'll be sure to let you guys know if they do or do not - and if so, how we can get it!

I actually emailed them awhile ago asking about this since I would be coming from Washington State. They said that unfortunately they don't provide travel funds.

Hey, that's one fewer phone call to a different BUSPH office I need to make tomorrow!

First, I think it is amazing that you're off to do fieldwork before school starts! My cousin is currently in Malawi, where he is a CDC medical officer and is working on heading a national program in obstetrics. The program's goal is to drastically reduce the rate of HIV transmission from mothers to babies. However, for a period, he was the CDC's Country Director for American Ebola Response in Liberia. If he and his family are still in Malawi during the summer of 2016, I am really thinking of going to do my practicum there and living with them (hey, free rent!). However, I'm still torn between reproductive epi and infectious disease, so we'll see. Now, moving on to the topic at hand.

My first suggestion is to contact Jonathan Cote (Director of Admissions, 617-638-4640, [email protected]) and ask for an extension in replying to your offer of admission. Your situation is one that absolutely should qualify! I've spoken with him and he's very kind. That way you'll for sure have extra time to make the right choice for you and once you make it, you'll have the extra time to make sure your documents arrive back in the US.

Thank you, JewcyFruit! It really is meeting the right people and getting the right funding.

I actually may be putting off graduate school for a few years, as right after I posted I went to lunch with a colleague of my mentor who told me he is "handpicking" a team for an epidemiological study in the DRC, and I had been recommended... but I am anxious to get my education done while I feel like I'm on a roll, and I have a portable scholarship that would not necessarily wait if I put off school.

Speaking of connections, it sounds like your cousin has my dream job! What a great opportunity for you, that's incredible!

Also, great suggestion on extending the commitment deadline, I hadn't even thought to ask. I have spoken with Jonathan Cote, and I agree, BU certainly makes you feel like you were selected, rather than just admitted.

Am I the only one of us just this side of nuts (enough) to be doing the scheduling to work out a double concentration? I'm thinking MCH in addition to Epi.

I've noticed the same thing and it seems to keep happening. I'm wondering if it is because they don't as many students as, say, GW.

Guessing you meant to add "...admit as many students..." I'm not really sure that's true. BU admits 50%+ of applicants. They also get more applications than most other Schools of Public Health. More people applying, so perhaps there is just strength in numers?

http://www.wbur.org/2015/02/26/bu-fraternity-suspended-misogynist-media
I know this article is not indicative of the School of Public Health at all, but I do think the article represents the culture that BU portrays. I'm not sure why or how, but when I think of BU and its student population I just think "meat head." I am certainly stereotyping and speaking primarily about the undergrads, but am just musing as to why people are more likely to rip on this school than others...

Yes, words are hard sometimes.

The problem is that we all think about the undergrads. GW has a terrible reputation for having a bunch of rich kids, playboy Embassy Row kids that can't legally get in trouble, where life is one big Ke$ha party, but we all know it isn't true - at least once we get to grad school doing such serious, important research. Same for Michigan, Washington, UCLA, UNC, Tulane, Alabama, Texas - If we're just talking about stupid binge drinking, fratastic, hey brah check out my new neon tank top culture, it's just mayhem all the time everywhere. (Unless you went to a women's college like me :love:)

Yet, if we're being truly honest, we'll include Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Emory, because they are all including in the national Title IX investigation, too. Because, at Yale screaming "No Means Yes and Yes Means Anal" repeatedly as a part of rushing in front of a female dorm is not considered harassment or threatening behavior. Because at Columbia, when a female student is raped, tells the administration and not the cops like she's asked, and nothing happens she starts the (now) national campaign Carrying the Weight Together, so other rape and sexual violence survivors know they are not alone on and off campus. So, every day she carries her mattress around campus because she is more than her rape, more than the names being slung at her because that man may or may not be rich or an athlete.

None of the schools we're applying to are perfect. Worse, even if they are academically top notch, Hopkins, UNC, Harvard - there is always something, and more often than not it is tied directly to sports, greek life, and sexual violence. More often than not, it is two of those things. I got my first MA at Florida State. The thought was revolting, and I was there from Fall 2011 - Spring 2013. I was gone before "Famous Jameis" was a starter. I didn't want to go there because of the undergrad culture. Yet, when I got there for my virtually free degree, I realized that my only times being forced to interact was on the bus that goes around campus and at football games. Life is so truly different when you're there for a real purpose and you can see all of these issues. Even though you're still a student, just like them, it feels as if you're on the outside looking in. It wasn't so long ago that we were the ones walking back to our dorms late at night, sober or not so sober, but being on the outside now, we know the administration truly doesn't care as long as we don't go to the real cops, the media, etc. I hate all the universities because the survivors that demand action are no longer seen as dollar signs (safe), they are seen as a ticking time bomb (not safe) and are handled accordingly. Now, that is some public health research I'd like to be involved in.

Feminist rant of the hour over, and with no curse words!

BREAKING NEWS LIVE FROM BUSPH!! Okay, not so live, but I just found out that if you are going to declare and start to look for housing, Sept. 1 housing isn't going to work. Classes start Sept. 2! They just put up the calendar. So, I'm for sure looking to move in mid August.

Guessing you meant to add "...admit as many students..." I'm not really sure that's true. BU admits 50%+ of applicants. They also get more applications than most other Schools of Public Health. More people applying, so perhaps there is just strength in numers?

I know this article is not indicative of the School of Public Health at all, but I do think the article represents the culture that BU portrays. I'm not sure why or how, but when I think of BU and its student population I just think "meat head." I am certainly stereotyping and speaking primarily about the undergrads, but am just musing as to why people are more likely to rip on this school than others...

Has to be the worst thing I've heard about a fraternity/frat boys aside from actual sexual assault, though maybe that happened, can't tell from the article. The sad thing is that this is the largest fraternity at BU, plus this blurb:

The promotional materials for the party, which was scheduled for December 10, 2014, included shirtless or nearly unclothed women, with some being forced to drink alcohol. A video included on the promotional webpage stated, "No sluts were harmed in the making of this video."

It wasn't so long ago that we were the ones walking back to our dorms late at night, sober or not so sober, but being on the outside now, we know the administration truly doesn't care as long as we don't go to the real cops, the media, etc. I hate all the universities because the survivors that demand action are no longer seen as dollar signs (safe), they are seen as a ticking time bomb (not safe) and are handled accordingly. Now, that is some public health research I'd like to be involved in.

Feminist rant of the hour over, and with no curse words!

I don't consider myself naive, per se, but I also doubt that this sort of student behavior would happen very often at the graduate level, I know I would certainly hope that it wouldn't happen at all.

To BU's credit, they went public and apparently suspended them, but they didn't go far enough, IMHO. I think they should have to do a lot of community service, like at a battered woman's shelter, and the fraternity should be permanently disbanded, if possible, to send a clear message as this is really hate speech which wouldn't be tolerated if it was targeting a racial minority/creed/religion versus women. Not really a feminist issue, probably all women and most men would take issue with this.

BU frat boys makes She-Hulk . . . angry, and I don't think they're going to like She-Hulk when she's angry.

she_hulk_in_next_avengers_movie__by_brianthomasx-d7i8jsd-is-she-hulk-joining-avengers-age-of-ultron.jpeg

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I went to a women's college and I'd happily make that decision a thousand times over. Being a small institution a few miles from Georgia Tech, we are very much unofficially brother/sister schools. We include one another in our respective alumni/alumnae weekend traditions, our school stories include the legends of the other, we have school songs dedicated to one another, etc. Turn of the 20th century and the whole of the 1900s was a very heteronormative time! Yet, as we celebrate this relationship, it almost hurts because these fratbags have terrible rape songs about us, unique to their house of horrors. ATO has a wall of ATHos (I've seen it - way back when in like 2007). During orientation big sisters told little sisters and RAs told their floors which houses were the ones notorious for roofies, sexual violence, etc. Now, in recent years, we learn that even Georgia Tech has a not-so-nice song about us, an official one, that is disgusting and rapey. School sanctioned. I feel like we can't win. I guess I shouldn't feel bad telling incoming and prospective students to my alma mater that at Tech, the odds are good, but the goods are odd. Bastards.

BREAKING NEWS LIVE FROM BUSPH!! Okay, not so live, but I just found out that if you are going to declare and start to look for housing, Sept. 1 housing isn't going to work. Classes start Sept. 2! They just put up the calendar. So, I'm for sure looking to move in mid August.
I don't get back to the US until June, so I'm thinking of just heading over in July and looking for an apartment and job early.
On a side note, just completed the Need Access stuff and it was a ton of 0s and 'no's. I wonder what the financial aid office will think xD

Am I the only one of us just this side of nuts (enough) to be doing the scheduling to work out a double concentration? I'm thinking MCH in addition to Epi.

Oh, I've already mapped out some courses in the notes section of my Erin Condren Planner for fall '15. Picked out my two emphases and I'm thinking of signing up for the pharmaceutical program.

Meh, most frats are filled with misogynist *****s. It isn't a representation of the student body. My undergrad was UCSB and if you've watched the news, some psychopath (who didn't even attend the darn school) went on a murdering rampage (running students over in his car, killing sorors infront of their houses, etc.).

I can assure you that most folks at UCSB aren't misogynist murderers and plenty aren't frat beach boys. Universities are large and you are bound to find different types of people wherever you go. Some folks are just better for media attention.

@She-Hulk that's not gonna happen. It's all about politics. Most corporations and schools would just want something like that to disappear. The less attention that is brought to something like that, the better.

Most things in life are sadly not fair.

Yea, I've mapped this out on my ECLP a month ago. LMFAO. I'm so insane. I'm the type of chick that'll map out an entire year's worth of courses. I've even checked the prices of books for THIS semester to see what the average will be when it comes to the cost of textbooks.

I don't get back to the US until June, so I'm thinking of just heading over in July and looking for an apartment and job early.
On a side note, just completed the Need Access stuff and it was a ton of 0s and 'no's. I wonder what the financial aid office will think xD

I have a dilemma. I'm still worrying about how much $$$ I'll be getting and I've applied to the 580 Commonwealth building. Studios are around $1300 and they're unfurnished (so add $95 a month for renting a 1 bdrm set for the entire duration of the lease). I've been lurking on Craigslist since I still cannot access the off-campus listing and I'm seeing that to rent a room it'll be around $700 (which seems to be about the average from my research). So here comes the problem, if I was to be removed off the waitlist, I'll be spending 2x the amount for a place to stay.

However, I've been living by myself for so long that I'm not sure if I wanna go down the roommate route even though it's more cost effective. IDK!

I too will be stopping by in June or July, I may just try to find a place then but IDK! I want to be in Boston on the week of the 15th in August. Showing up on the 1st will be a no-no for me since classes start the next day. I don't want to be in a rush. I want to come a week or two early to explore the city and slowly get used to the area (and to also enjoy the city before I become a slave to education again, haha.).

Decisions!

Renting a room for one person is $700? Wow, that's cheaper than the OC...I used to pay almost that much to share a two room apartment with three other people. o_O

Renting a room for one person is $700? Wow, that's cheaper than the OC...I used to pay almost that much to share a two room apartment with three other people. o_O

Yea, I'll say that's about the "average". Some are less and some are higher up (near $1,000). But I'm thinking that if I'm going to spend a grand, I might as well just spend a couple hundred more for an university owned studio.

This is what I've been looking at BTW:
http://boston.craigslist.org/search/roo

I spent about $975 per month for a room in a university owned apartment in my undergrad, so I guess Boston isn't all that different. I lived in CA which is extremely expensive as well. The average studio is about $1400, so things look pretty much the same price wise in Boston.

I can't live in BU housing, because of my roommate, Lucy. Also, the cost of taking the T and the bus to get to campus, roundtrip, is approximately $10 a day. Assuming we'll be doing it 5 days a week, I'd rather pay more for my studio and live across the street from school. That way I can literally walk across one road. Yeah, I'm paying for it in a big way, but the convenience is just - everything. When I want to go into the city, I just take the silver line (woo buses named as if it were a train) to Tufts MC and hop on the orange line into town or the bus up Mass Ave to Back Bay, etc. etc. Plus, pre-post class study sessions at my place!

Also, what is this Erin Condren Planner you speak of?

I can't live in BU housing, because of my roommate, Lucy. Also, the cost of taking the T and the bus to get to campus, roundtrip, is approximately $10 a day. Assuming we'll be doing it 5 days a week, I'd rather pay more for my studio and live across the street from school. That way I can literally walk across one road. Yeah, I'm paying for it in a big way, but the convenience is just - everything. When I want to go into the city, I just take the silver line (woo buses named as if it were a train) to Tufts MC and hop on the orange line into town or the bus up Mass Ave to Back Bay, etc. etc. Plus, pre-post class study sessions at my place!

580 is right on the BU shuttle bus' route, which is free (the stop is right in front of the building to be exact). There are also other free shuttles that can be used that'll take you straight to the medical campus:

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/about/map-directions/directions-by-shuttle/

There are also semester metro passes, which you can buy at a discounted price:

http://www.bu.edu/parking/permits-passes/student-permits/student-mbta-pass-types/

Even if I am not removed from the waitlist, I'll probably choose an apartment that is close to the main campus since I can just ride the shuttle bus to BUSPH. I had to commute when I lived in DC and had to travel a bit in the snow when I lived in Europe when I was younger, so I'm not all too bothered by not being too close to the campus.

Also, what is this Erin Condren Planner you speak of?

Like, one of the best planner markers ever.

Like, one of the best planner markers ever.

Obviously, because when you open the website it makes that magical KidPix sound. I may also end up living by CR campus and just take the bus. That way I can be near the real world in addition to free transportation to school. Green line forever!

Green line forever!

Yes, you say that now... just wait till you ride it for a week straight ;). Honestly, Boston is ridiculously walkable. No idea where the "CR campus" is, but I'd imagine it's within a 35 minute walk to BUSPH.

CR is Charles River campus/main campus. It's not that far of a walk, unless you get out of class at 9am with 4ft of snow on the ground. I'm from Florida, we only have ice in our drinks. I'm not quite ready for walking through Boston winters. It'll take some practice!

Is there on campus graduate housing? Or is everyone looking off campus?

Is there on campus graduate housing? Or is everyone looking off campus?
I've been stalking Craigslist for Jamaica plains listings, and I feel off campus is more affordable than the apartment options BU offers.
I'm seriously thinking of finding a few other SPH students who are clean housemates and hard workers, and renting a house...that seems like the best option.

I've been stalking Craigslist for Jamaica plains listings, and I feel off campus is more affordable than the apartment options BU offers.
I'm seriously thinking of finding a few other SPH students who are clean housemates and hard workers, and renting a house...that seems like the best option.

Agreed! I'm not 100% committed to BU as of yet, but if I do decide to go, I'd definitely be interested!

How do you feel about a Dachshund?

There are some really great roommate friendly 2/2, 3/3, and 4/4 apartments near campus that are way more affordable than their studio and 1/1 alternatives.

How do you feel about a Dachshund?

There are some really great roommate friendly 2/2, 3/3, and 4/4 apartments near campus that are way more affordable than their studio and 1/1 alternatives.

Where are these posted?

They aren't, I've just seen them on Zillow/Trulia/HotPads. When I see them again, I'll post links.

The only dog breed i don't think is cute is the chihuahua family. I just can't with them.
In undergrad my friends and I rented a condo and IT WAS AMAZING. cheap, convenient, and in a nice quiet location.
I think I would prefer something not on the ground floor in Boston (those snow pics) and in a non undergrad area *hates frat parties*
Although at this point just finding a place would be nice.

Last edited: