Boston University - 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JewcyFruit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting that "Congratulations" e-mail from BUSPH was such a happy event! Now I'm looking at it in the big scheme of things, and for every one thing I think I've settled I come up with 5 more questions. So, for everyone thinking of BUSPH, let's think about it together.

So, first up - what is your concentration? Do you know what you want to focus on? How do you feel about the alleged MPH program changes for the 16-17 school year?

I applied for Epi, and I can't decide on my focus. I'm pretty sure I want to do reproductive epi/gyn diseases. Yet, in the back of my mind, maybe ID. We'll see once I've epi 1 and bio stats 1, maybe I'll have a better feeling. I'm kind of worried about the proposed changes. Will we be coming in as Epi/Biostats/Community Health/etc and in year two we lose it and get forced to just be generalist MPH degrees with certificates? I really wish there was more information out there about the proposed changes and how it would affect the incoming class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got into the epi program. I received 18k merit scholarship from BU. I'm from Boston and have a negative perception of BU, but honestly don't know much about the SPH. BU is a cash cow that is buying up A LOT of Boston. I know one person that was in the global health program and really enjoyed it.

I'm considering it heavily since the program can be completed in 3 semesters and I'd prefer to stay in Boston. I'm not particularly worried about the curriculum change. I believe we'll be able to gain necessary skills regardless of the program style... If you can show potential employers that you've learned a lot, then they will not care that you went to a school with a new curriculum.

If anyone has specific questions about Boston or the area around BUSPH, feel free to ask. The main campus is definitely beautiful and very lively, but the SPH is by BMC and not very glamorous (I've never stepped foot in one of the classrooms).

I wish we knew more about the changes. If they really are trying to implement more practical application within the coursework, that could be incredibly beneficial. They mentioned something about increasing the number of concentration hours (which makes me think they may not be switching to only a generalist MPH), which could be useful.

I've been accepted with a small merit scholarship, so I'm very interested in hearing more about these changes. However, the tuition still would make the school a difficult decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a student at BU some years ago, and had a very positive experience (Epi MPH).

I can't speak for the changes, but I had no problem getting into good PhD programs and had several job offers for epidemiology positions after graduation (right into the recession of 2008).

I'm a current BUSPH MPH student and would be happy to answer questions everyone! When I was applying, I wish there was a current student who would have been available to talk to so please reach out if you have any questions about the program/Boston/MPH in general

So, from what we can find, this is the only official thing so far: http://www.bu.edu/sph/2014/11/11/why-the-mph-needs-to-change/

It looks like next year some of the core courses will be changing a bit in overall format. That doesn't really matter, because we're taking them no matter what we do. It is what happens in Fall 2016 that matters and is really up in the air. If we matriculate in F15, I'd assume we'd keep the graduation requirements of the current program. I've heard through the good ol' rumor mill that they want to do away with department concentrations for the MPH totally, and only give out certificates and allow as many as three. I've also heard that you'll still have a concentration, but be able to add additional certificates in related fields. I will definitely be asking these questions and more at accepted student day. If anyone can't make it, please feel free to list questions here and I'll make sure to get an answer for you.

I too, also like that it can be completed in 1.5 years. I just wanna dive into my career, you know? I'm an old woman (not,really, but still).

Reactions: 1 users
I just turned 29 on Friday. I'm actually an old woman. Luckily we can celebrate my 30th together. Hopefully at a Bruins game! I just got my offer. I'm less than pleased, but only because I expect more from myself. I see 12k over three semesters and think "Man, they must have hated me." Luckily, it looks like they psych building is across the street. Now, onward to apply for need-based aid!

I just turned 29 on Friday. I'm actually an old woman. Luckily we can celebrate my 30th together. Hopefully at a Bruins game! I just got my offer. I'm less than pleased, but only because I expect more from myself. I see 12k over three semesters and think "Man, they must have hated me." Luckily, it looks like they psych building is across the street. Now, onward to apply for need-based aid!

Girl, we got the same amount LMFAO. Man oh man. Of course I wanted to go to the most expensive graduate schools in the country, of course! I was lurking on some other threads and some posters said they received like $7,000 in scholarships and that's no bueno. $7,000 won't make a dent on a $60,000 tuition and let us not even touch room & board.

I should've been an Instagram model instead of a scientist, I'm hurting :oops:

Well, there is always one of those sugar daddy websites. Though, that would a public health experiment on its own. #sorrynotsorry

I'm bringing my dog, Lucy, so it's even harder to find a studio that will take her. Plus, her legs are legit 2.25" long, and she's about 8" off the ground at the top of her head, so right now the snow is a solid 3 feet above her. She's going to be SO mad. The need-based aid app should have gone up today, but they were closed. They are closed tomorrow, too. So, Wednesday? I think I've got a shot.

Anyone else think that it's a bit ridiculous that you have to pay $28 for the need-base aid application? I do not necessarily understand what the $28 is for... We already have to snail-mail our tax return and W2's... Shouldn't that be enough?

Oh, the devil. The things that one must do!

Nooooo, e-mail that stuff. Way faster and cheaper. Plus, with the weather it'll never get there!

Anyone else skipping out on Accepted Students' Day? I'm unable to go due to some work obligations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to go. I work for my dad, and one of the few perks of being the boss's daughter is that you can do this stuff. I want to go so I know I'm making the right decision. Yet, I'm afraid I'll use it as an excuse to talk myself out of going - at all. Maybe I should go and find a therapist while I'm at it. Jesus.

When is accepted students day? Not seeing it in any of the emails or the "you're In' webpage.. Did it come in the packet? Oops!

ALSO, so the scholarships are not renewable and only applicable for the first year? Does anyone have any information on getting scholarships for the second year etc. I may be interpreting the letter wrong but it seems pretty clear it is only for the first three semesters/1st year. Thanks!

ALSO, so the scholarships are not renewable and only applicable for the first year? Does anyone have any information on getting scholarships for the second year etc. I may be interpreting the letter wrong but it seems pretty clear it is only for the first three semesters/1st year. Thanks!

Are you speaking of the merit award? It's awarded for fall '15, spring '16 and fall '16--summer '16 isn't included. From what I understand, students often take out a plus loan for the summer to cover any outstanding fees. You should also be doing your practicum during the summer if I recall...

Are you speaking of the merit award? It's awarded for fall '15, spring '16 and fall '16--summer '16 isn't included. From what I understand, students often take out a plus loan for the summer to cover any outstanding fees. You should also be doing your practicum during the summer if I recall...
Oh wow, I was not reading anything correctly. Yep so its 15K over three semesters. Doesn't make too great of a dent in the tuition but anything helps... Ok thanks for the help!

Oh wow, I was not reading anything correctly. Yep so its 15K over three semesters. Doesn't make too great of a dent in the tuition but anything helps... Ok thanks for the help!

This is true, but when you look at the bigger picture BU is actually cheaper compared to the other schools listed on this forum. It seems like the average tuition is $40K (slightly less or more depending on the school). BU is $45K if I remember correctly. However, the program at BU is only for three semester. It takes two years to finish at the other schools. So, you need to multiply the tuition of the other schools by two and there we have it. You'll be around $70-80K total. BU is about $60K total.

So it's cheaper in the long run. The tuition is high, there's no doubt about it. But since the program is shorter, it's truly a cheaper option (if you're looking at schools like GW, Yale, Columbia, etc.). I really like that it's only for 1.5 years, I would like to get started on my career as soon as I can!

This is true, but when you look at the bigger picture BU is actually cheaper compared to the other schools listed on this forum. It seems like the average tuition is $40K (slightly less or more depending on the school). BU is $45K if I remember correctly. However, the program at BU is only for three semester. It takes two years to finish at the other schools. So, you need to multiply the tuition of the other schools by two and there we have it. You'll be around $70-80K total. BU is about $60K total.

So it's cheaper in the long run. The tuition is high, there's no doubt about it. But since the program is shorter, it's truly a cheaper option (if you're looking at schools like GW, Yale, Columbia, etc.). I really like that it's only for 1.5 years, I would like to get started on my career as soon as I can!
Awesome, thanks for the comment. I think finishing classes in 1.5 years would be great.

I'm between GW and BU, with virtually all my heart and soul in the BU basket. If you look at the GW website, they want you to finish in 6 semesters: Fall 15, Spring 16, Summer 16, Fall 16, Spring 17, Summer 17. Personally, with my age (29) and this being my second master's, I'd like to be done... before my eggs are too old for reproduction. Plus, I have a theory about graduating a whole semester ahead of everyone else: we have better initial job opportunities.

Bottom line: yes, it is a lot of money no matter what. A stifling amount. But most places don't offer need based as BU does. Most charge by credit hours, while our tuition will allow up to 18 hours at the same cost. Pack them in, make this your full-time job, and get out.

Assuming I go, I plan on starting a study group week one. We can do this!

Yea, I've pretty much already decided that I'm going to attend BU. I'm just going to wait for my financial aid package. Did anyone get an update after they've submitted their required documents for need-base aid? Their email says to give them 3-5 business days. I'm anxious to know how much they're offering.

I just got an e-mail this morning saying "Hey kid that got accepted, we got your Need Access (or is it assess? idk.) but we need your other things, but if you already submitted them, jklolz." According to the USPS, they actually got those today. I guess by Friday I should know that they have everything and at that time they'll give me a timeline for finding out of I can have more dollars? I just need money. I know I'm going to have to take out loans, and I get that. I just don't want to have to take out 100k in loans (with housing, etc).

Annnnd, I'm already ready to start something: there is no BUSPH students for choice. Granted, I come from Florida where women have no rights their husbands don't allow them, and this is Massachusetts where they used to hang witches, but STILL. I think I need to form this group in September. I did it at my UG.

I just got an e-mail this morning saying "Hey kid that got accepted, we got your Need Access (or is it assess? idk.) but we need your other things, but if you already submitted them, jklolz." According to the USPS, they actually got those today. I guess by Friday I should know that they have everything and at that time they'll give me a timeline for finding out of I can have more dollars? I just need money. I know I'm going to have to take out loans, and I get that. I just don't want to have to take out 100k in loans (with housing, etc).

I received the same email. I faxed over my documents while at work this morning, THEN I snail mailed everything at the post office. It's my insurance, haha. You know how financial aid offices are... They're usually a hot mess, always missing something, I just want to be sure that everything is good!

Ahhh, I'm so nervous! Like you, I'm hoping to get enough aid :scared: But I'm excited to start school again. Life has been quite boring without school. I've already bookmarked a crapload of restaurants and cafes on Yelp! Future study-buddy locations! :rolleyes:

P.S. Since I gave away all my winter wear, I'm gonna have to spend the next couple of months stocking up on some winter clothes. Sigh! Coats and boats are so expensive! IDK why I donated my coats!

What do we need to submit for need-based money (besides FAFSA)?

@powerage There is no deadline; however, my personal philosophy is the earlier it gets in the earlier you find out and the more money they have to hand out. They say there is no deadline and that they don't run out of need based aid, but in my old age I have become more cynical. I think it took me a total of 25 minutes to do the Need Access and I was watching tv and a hockey game on the computer at the same time. I'd cut out an hour to get all your stuff together once your taxes are done and you'll be fine.

@oceanhue I've one pea coat. Oh, and a pair of North Face boots that are Ugg style and not at all weather proof. That's my entire winter wardrobe. I've pinned SO much stuff so now I get e-mails when it goes on sale. Thanks, Pinterest!

@JewcyFruit I too have already pinned or added things to my wishlist. First purchase will be some Sorels. I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best jacket to get :( I really want a Canada Goose, but that price tag :eek:

I'm so set on Boston that I made a list of the clothes I need to buy. We lived in Boston until I was 3 so my parents are well-acquainted with Boston winters, and when my mom saw my list she added like 10 more things (yay?). The problem is that I'm currently living in India, and India + cold-weather clothing = HAH.
On a side note, I have no idea where to live. I heard Cambridgeport is really nice...? any opinions?

I'll be there for Accepted Students Day on March 27th! Anyone have any advice as far as hotels go? I'm trying to find a good deal. Thanks!

@powerage There is no deadline; however, my personal philosophy is the earlier it gets in the earlier you find out and the more money they have to hand out. They say there is no deadline and that they don't run out of need based aid, but in my old age I have become more cynical. I think it took me a total of 25 minutes to do the Need Access and I was watching tv and a hockey game on the computer at the same time. I'd cut out an hour to get all your stuff together once your taxes are done and you'll be fine.

Your response doesn't answer my question, but I can infer that you only need to fill out the FAFSA. Please let me if there's anything else to be filled out!

I'll be there for Accepted Students Day on March 27th! Anyone have any advice as far as hotels go? I'm trying to find a good deal. Thanks!

I'd try Air BnB. There's a hotel right next to BUSPH. It's round (I can picture it), but I'm drawing a blank on the hotel. Hotels in Boston are pretty outrageous. I'd look in Brighton (I think there's a relatively cheap Days Inn on Soldiers Field Road), Watertown, Waltham, Newton.

Your response doesn't answer my question, but I can infer that you only need to fill out the FAFSA. Please let me if there's anything else to be filled out!

I'd try Air BnB. There's a hotel right next to BUSPH. It's round (I can picture it), but I'm drawing a blank on the hotel. Hotels in Boston are pretty outrageous. I'd look in Brighton (I think there's a relatively cheap Days Inn on Soldiers Field Road), Watertown, Waltham, Newton.

I tried airbnb and was disappointed with the results. Some of the places looked nice, but they were just as much as some of the hotels. I'm also taking public transportation (bus) to South Station and won't be arriving until after 7pm. I'm trying to find something along the subway lines. I'll try to see if I can find any info on the hotel near BUSPH. Thanks!

I'm so set on Boston that I made a list of the clothes I need to buy. We lived in Boston until I was 3 so my parents are well-acquainted with Boston winters, and when my mom saw my list she added like 10 more things (yay?). The problem is that I'm currently living in India, and India + cold-weather clothing = HAH.
On a side note, I have no idea where to live. I heard Cambridgeport is really nice...? any opinions?

Cambridge is a little far (walk-wise) from BUSPH campus, but taking the 1 bus would make it relatively straight forward. Living in the South End now isn't a bad proposition as the area has become much nicer over the years. Back Bay is a nice area to live that might be a little pricier, but has some good access to shops and restaurants and is very walking friendly. Another option is living near main BU campus and taking the campus shuttle back and forth. Dorchester and Jamaica Plain are other options, though you'll be using exclusively the bus (and I'm not too familiar outside of the 1).

Cambridge is a little far (walk-wise) from BUSPH campus, but taking the 1 bus would make it relatively straight forward. Living in the South End now isn't a bad proposition as the area has become much nicer over the years. Back Bay is a nice area to live that might be a little pricier, but has some good access to shops and restaurants and is very walking friendly. Another option is living near main BU campus and taking the campus shuttle back and forth. Dorchester and Jamaica Plain are other options, though you'll be using exclusively the bus (and I'm not too familiar outside of the 1).

JP has three orange line T stops, plus the 39. You can get to BUSPH in ~25 minutes via train and bus/walking from JP. Depends on where you are in Dorchester, but there are plenty of red line stops.

Cambridgeport is great. Very pricey, but great. There's a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods right in the neighborhood, plus the red line (central Sq station) is only ~15 minutes no matter where you live in Cambridgeport. You'd have to rely on the buses to get you to BUSPH...

@powerage You're right, sorry! I was answering someone else's question in the wrong place. I guess that's what happens when you're on here at work (like now) but also doing three other things. You do need to fill out other things. First, you need to send them a signed copy of your 2015 tax return and include with it all of your W2 and 1099 forms. With that, you'll need to include their SFS cover sheet. You also need to create an account with Need Access and fill out their form which is similar too, yet more invasive than, FAFSA. You'll be charged $28 and once you've done that BUSPH will get it within 24-48 hours. Once BUSPH has all of your documents you'll get "next steps" with 3-5 days.

For the link to the SFS cover sheet and the link to Need Access, click here:

This should all have been in your welcome packet, did you receive it yet? You'll need your BUSPH student ID number that was in there in order to fill out the cover sheet and the Need Access info. http://www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/sph/newfinaidapp/

@powerage You're right, sorry! I was answering someone else's question in the wrong place. I guess that's what happens when you're on here at work (like now) but also doing three other things. You do need to fill out other things. First, you need to send them a signed copy of your 2015 tax return and include with it all of your W2 and 1099 forms. With that, you'll need to include their SFS cover sheet. You also need to create an account with Need Access and fill out their form which is similar too, yet more invasive than, FAFSA. You'll be charged $28 and once you've done that BUSPH will get it within 24-48 hours. Once BUSPH has all of your documents you'll get "next steps" with 3-5 days.

For the link to the SFS cover sheet and the link to Need Access, click here:

This should all have been in your welcome packet, did you receive it yet? You'll need your BUSPH student ID number that was in there in order to fill out the cover sheet and the Need Access info. http://www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/sph/newfinaidapp/

I did get my welcome packet, but don't remember seeing this info. Thanks for passing it along!!

I'm not having much luck. It seems as if those dates are unavailable for the discount. If anyone else is going to the Accepted Students Day (Mar 27) and is interested in sharing a room, let me know!

Jora,

I have decided on BU as well and even though I am originally from the Boston area (I now go to school in CT) I still have no idea where to live either because of price!!

I just received my "congratulations" email today, I guess the letter comes in 10 days. I chose the Epi track, concentration in Infectious Disease epidemiology.

My questions are:

There was no mention of scholarships in the email. Does that information come in the paper packet?

When do you need to reach a decision by? I have several other schools I have applied to, and I am leaving the country in 3 weeks, and will not have consistent internet access for over 3 months (poor planning on my part).

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and unfortunately will be in another country when they have their open houses (well, not so unfortunately). Wish I could go.

Anyone else waiting to hear back from other universities before they decide on BU?

Last edited:
I just received my "congratulations" email today, I guess the letter comes in 10 days. I chose the Epi track, concentration in Infectious Disease epidemiology.

My questions are:

There was no mention of scholarships in the email. Does that information come in the paper packet?

When do you need to reach a decision by? I have several other schools I have applied to, and I am leaving the country in 3 weeks, and will not have consistent internet access for over 3 months (poor planning on my part).

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and unfortunately will be in Uganda when they have their open houses (well, not so unfortunately). Wish I could go.

Anyone else waiting to hear back from other universities before they decide on BU?

I believe you should get a packet in the mail with scholarship info. And you have to respond to your acceptance by April 15th. Have an awesome time in Uganda!

I believe you should get a packet in the mail with scholarship info. And you have to respond to your acceptance by April 15th. Have an awesome time in Uganda!

Man, that is what I was afraid of.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Can any of the people here who have decided on BU tell my what makes it the school for you?

Last edited:
Can any of the people here who have decided on BU tell my what makes it the school for you?

I'm sure that everyone here has different reasons for why they have decided to pick BU. The question that you should be asking yourself is why did YOU decide to apply to BU? However I feel about the school is 100% irrelevant. This is your decision and should only be made by your own free will. If you need to be persuaded, then maybe this isn't the school for you.

When I applied to BU, I knew that this was the school for me. When I applied to my undergrad, I knew that was the school for me. You should feel the same way. That's my 2 cents.

I didn't get any emails from BU just the acceptance package on Tuesday. After reading all these posts I feel like I have a lot to catch up on.

Today I got an e-mail saying my finaid package was en route, and I should receive it within 10 business days. Unless Harvard decides they need another Jewish girl from South Florida, I'm following my gut. From day one BU was it. When I applied to my UGs forever and a half ago, I knew where I was meant to be. I got into some amazing schools, elite New England private schools that my parents couldn't believe I turned down to go to a small women's college. It was just right.

From that first moment I read about it, to my interview, etc. I knew. I don't know what it is about BU, but getting that acceptance e-mail I felt the same way, like it just fit. I've known my whole life that epi is where I belong, but for many reasons I went a totally different way for a long time. I took a leap of faith and I applied to my dream school, my dream program, and it all just fits. No other university has made me feel like they even cared that I applied, let alone got in. From the e-mails, mailings, calls, etc., BU has made it clear that while it is an investment on my part, it is also one on their end, and they believe in me and they want me there as much as I want to be there. Sometimes you just know.

Well, to be honest, I'm one of the under-3.0s, so I never thought I'd get in anywhere. When I got Pitt I was all set to go there because I know someone in the Infectious Disease faculty and it seemed like a good program. But after doing a ton of research on Boston, looking at their amazing network and realizing that it was a lot more affordable, I wanted to get in. My acceptance made it official.
Plus, diehard Pats fan here :D

Reactions: 3 users
I won't be able to make it to the March 27th Open House at BU but will be going on March 6th for the small group visit. Anyone else going that day?

Last edited:
I'm sure that everyone here has different reasons for why they have decided to pick BU. The question that you should be asking yourself is why did YOU decide to apply to BU? However I feel about the school is 100% irrelevant. This is your decision and should only be made by your own free will. If you need to be persuaded, then maybe this isn't the school for you.

When I applied to BU, I knew that this was the school for me. When I applied to my undergrad, I knew that was the school for me. You should feel the same way. That's my 2 cents.

I applied to this school because I attended a graduate school fair to speak to the Harvard admission officer. When I was done, a representative called me over because they overheard me mentioned I was looking for an infectious disease epidemiology program, and they had one.

I'm a McNair scholar, and my research mentor encouraged me to apply to as many schools as I thought I'd be interested (since I don't have to pay to apply) in and see who offers me what financially before committing.

I'm interested in Boston because of its research funding, and the research that has come out of it. However, as I mentioned above I am leaving the country on an international research project in 3 weeks, and won't be back until the summer. I don't have time to visit the campus, and I'm on the West Coast and have never had the opportunity to visit Massachusetts.

Because of that, I wanted to know what factors made others commit to this school. We're all from different places, and have different and equally valuable perspectives. I'd love to hear about BU from other people's perspectives. That doesn't mean it's "not the school for me". Honestly, that comes across as a snotty and ignorant response, and I am quite taken aback that it's coming from a public health major.

Thank you, to everyone who took the time to reply. I thoroughly appreciate the different perspectives.

Last edited: