Breaking a 30 on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobalt12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason I couldn't move into the 30s on the old MCAT. I knew the material but just couldn't get the score. Now that I have to prepare for this new MCAT what can I do that will get me to those higher scores? Should I take a class or self study with lots of books?

Members don't see this ad.

Before you start studying for the new MCAT, you should first focus on figuring out why you were scoring sub-30 on the MCAT. For example, was it due to a lack of knowledge or do you simply have poor test taking strategies/skills?

You can do well with or without a class. Just depends on you - if you need structure then I think a class would be good to take. With your question about books, I recommend you focus on a single set from a prep company (ie. I am using EK) and then supplementing it with other prep companies/textbooks if need be (ie. TBR/TPR).

Reactions: 1 users
Before you start studying for the new MCAT, you should first focus on figuring out why you were scoring sub-30 on the MCAT. For example, was it due to a lack of knowledge or do you simply have poor test taking strategies/skills?

You can do well with or without a class. Just depends on you - if you need structure then I think a class would be good to take. With your question about books, I recommend you focus on a single set from a prep company (ie. I am using EK) and then supplementing it with other prep companies/textbooks if need be (ie. TBR/TPR).
I agree, you should start with one, but it is a good idea to try to get your hands on as much material as possible. It might be helpful to ask around to see if your friends are trying to pass on old books or if you can find someone to share the cost.

Reactions: 1 user