Is 7/30 too late for MCAT retake if I prewrite secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjv_

Reaction score
I took the MCAT last year and got a 504. I applied to 6 MD schools (state schools for my state of residence - AL - and undergrad state - SC), got one interview invite, and got waitlisted at that school. I'm planning to apply to DO schools this cycle and, if I can get my MCAT score up, will apply MD as well. I am not where I'd like to be on my MCAT retake prep, and am thinking of pushing my test date to the end of July to maximize my prep time. If I'm consistently doing better than my original MCAT score on practice tests, I will retake and, if not, I'll bail on the retake and just apply DO using my 504 (I don't want to risk my score going down and becoming non-competititve for DO school, so will only retake if I feel pretty confident of getting a better score).

If I prewrite secondaries, would it be too late to take the MCAT on 7/30? I would get a score back on 8/31. I would plan to submit primaries to my resident and undergrad state MD schools using my original MCAT score, and would have the retake score by the time I submit my secondaries on or about the very beginning of September. I would probably prewrite secondaries for some additional schools based on my average FL in the period leading up to the retake, but would only submit primaries to those schools if I actually get an improved score.

Thanks for any advice.

@Goro and anyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT last year and got a 504. I applied to 6 MD schools (state schools for my state of residence - AL - and undergrad state - SC), got one interview invite, and got waitlisted at that school. I'm planning to apply to DO schools this cycle and, if I can get my MCAT score up, will apply MD as well. I am not where I'd like to be on my MCAT retake prep, and am thinking of pushing my test date to the end of July to maximize my prep time. If I'm consistently doing better than my original MCAT score on practice tests, I will retake and, if not, I'll bail on the retake and just apply DO using my 504 (I don't want to risk my score going down and becoming non-competititve for DO school, so will only retake if I feel pretty confident of getting a better score).

If I prewrite secondaries, would it be too late to take the MCAT on 7/30? I would get a score back on 8/31. I would plan to submit primaries to my resident and undergrad state MD schools using my original MCAT score, and would have the retake score by the time I submit my secondaries on or about the very beginning of September. I would probably prewrite secondaries for some additional schools based on my average FL in the period leading up to the retake, but would only submit primaries to those schools if I actually get an improved score.

Thanks for any advice.

@Goro and anyone else!
They're not going to look at your application until the end of August and that will have an impact on your chances. If you're going to apply I'd just do DO this cycle and if you do well on your mcat that will replace your mcat that's about average for Do schools anyway.