Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
Hey I am interested in buying this package but can you please tell me exactly what books you are selling in this package?

The TPR set -- the entire set you get when you sign up for a course (both workbooks, all 4 science review books, in-class compendium, verbal/writing book -- all current editions). You'd need to PM me your info and then I'd have to contact my TPR office and see what we have to do to get them to you.

To clarify: I am not selling anything. I can act as a conduit for you to get the books because of a program we set up between our prehealth program and TPR. In essence, I would be grafting you into that program.

Since this has come up frequently, here's an even more in-depth response to the 1/3 passages.

Every third passage of the corresponding passages for this chapter (i.e. go through 1, 4, 7, 10 for first 1/3 and 2, 5, 8 for the second 1/3 on Day 8). 1/3 of corresponding passages = 1/3 from now on. Also, complete every 1/3 of the discretes each time you work through 1/3 of the passages. In other words, when you take passages #1, 4, 7, 10, take discrete # 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, etc. For the questions in the chapter reading itself, work through them as you read the chapter.

Members don't see this ad :)
After reading all of the 4 initial posts, I cannot tell how many hours per day I need to allot for this program. Can anyone tell me?

I have gone through this thread a bunch of times and I'm sure this is already on here..but I can't seem to find it

Is TPR science workbook ok to use instead of BR bio passages?
I don't have the science workbook in my possession yet so I don't exactly know how it's set up.

The reason I'm asking is because I have already spent a ton of $ on MCAT books. I have the whole EK series (which I bought prematurely and wish I hadn't wasted my money on), the EK 1001 series, and the person who I am most likely buying the TPRH verbal workbook from is only selling it as a package with the science workbook so I will have that as well. The last things I need are the BR books and I am wondering if I can forgo the BR bio books. I would want to take the less specific approach anyway and use the EK bio book for content..so I'm really hoping i can save the $60+ on BR bio and just use EK 1001 bio and the TPRH science workbook for bio passages

I know your plan does not use either of those books..but would this work, what are the disadvantages to doing it this way?

Also, in terms of versions..what is the oldest version of the TPRH workbooks you would recommend using..or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this was already answered, but my question is regarding the 1/3 passages.

You know how Berkeley Review has recommendations on which passages to approach (atleast for Physics and Chem) and in what order? They also recommend to not put yourself under a time limit for the last few passages. And I always seem to run out of time and be in a rush in those last few passages.

Is there a rationale between choosing to do every 3rd passage rather than following Berkeley Review's method?

Thanks,
Anish

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this was already answered, but my question is regarding the 1/3 passages.

You know how Berkeley Review has recommendations on which passages to approach (atleast for Physics and Chem) and in what order? They also recommend to not put yourself under a time limit for the last few passages. And I always seem to run out of time and be in a rush in those last few passages.

Is there a rationale between choosing to do every 3rd passage rather than following Berkeley Review's method?

Thanks,
Anish

No.... It's just a way of splitting them up. Do a search first, please.

I have gone through this thread a bunch of times and I'm sure this is already on here..but I can't seem to find it

Is TPR science workbook ok to use instead of BR bio passages?
I don't have the science workbook in my possession yet so I don't exactly know how it's set up.

The reason I'm asking is because I have already spent a ton of $ on MCAT books. I have the whole EK series (which I bought prematurely and wish I hadn't wasted my money on), the EK 1001 series, and the person who I am most likely buying the TPRH verbal workbook from is only selling it as a package with the science workbook so I will have that as well. The last things I need are the BR books and I am wondering if I can forgo the BR bio books. I would want to take the less specific approach anyway and use the EK bio book for content..so I'm really hoping i can save the $60+ on BR bio and just use EK 1001 bio and the TPRH science workbook for bio passages

I know your plan does not use either of those books..but would this work, what are the disadvantages to doing it this way?

Also, in terms of versions..what is the oldest version of the TPRH workbooks you would recommend using..or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest getting the BR books. The ones you mention are a good supplement but poor replacement.

After reading all of the 4 initial posts, I cannot tell how many hours per day I need to allot for this program. Can anyone tell me?

Variable... possibly 3-6 for most days, I'd say, but it varies by person and day of the program.

From other threads on SDN, I see that Berkeley Review has just made some changes in November 2010 in their physics book and maybe as well as other books. I got the books from summer 2009. Does anyone know if the changes are major or minor? Were there any changes in the MCAT that led to the changes in BR? Thank you.

Hello everybody, I'm new here, and I just wanted to thank SN2ed for such an awesome resource. I just had a question about the schedule, especially with regards to my own particular situation.

I really want to adopt this schedule for Summer 2011, however, I have not completed Physics II. I was thinking that I could use the 3 month program, following it closely from the beginning of May to the beginning of July (2 months) and then take physics II over the second half of summer (until around Aug. 5) and then take the MCAT late August.

Is this a realistic plan? I realize that it is a bit unorthodox, but I will not have another 3 month time period to study intensively for the MCAT before the year I want to apply.

Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions!

Hello everybody, I'm new here, and I just wanted to thank SN2ed for such an awesome resource. I just had a question about the schedule, especially with regards to my own particular situation.

I really want to adopt this schedule for Summer 2011, however, I have not completed Physics II. I was thinking that I could use the 3 month program, following it closely from the beginning of May to the beginning of July (2 months) and then take physics II over the second half of summer (until around Aug. 5) and then take the MCAT late August.

Is this a realistic plan? I realize that it is a bit unorthodox, but I will not have another 3 month time period to study intensively for the MCAT before the year I want to apply.

Try a search first, please. This gets asked about once every 10 days.

SN2ed's plan is a great starting point. It has room for modifications. I have no plans to take a review course unless I really have inherited some unclaimed $14 million from a man in Uganda who wants me help him open an account in the US. Otherwise, I'll be following SN2ed's plan of action when I sit down to study hardcore.

I plan to change the books up a little. I don't want to skimp on books, so by the time I start studying I want the following book collection (minimum).

Biology
EK Bio (new or used)
BR Bio (new or used)
I plan to read EK biology and supplement the heart and lung section and kidney section with BR. I plan to do the BR passages and then count on full length CBTs to expose me to everyting.

Organic Chemistry
BR O Chem (new or used)
I might get EK organic chem if it's part of a package set. I don't have plans to use it, but would like to have it just in case.

Physics
BR Physics (new)
Nova physics (new or used)
I plan to read BR and do their passages. I'll consult Nova on subjects I think I need some extra help with. I'll get BR new to make sure I have the one with all the new tricks. Besides, used BR costs the same as new ones.

General Chemistry
BR Gen Chem (new)
Might as well get it new if I'm getting the physics.

Verbal
EK 101 (new or used)
Hyperlearning Class Workbook (used)
I don't believe you can get the HLPR book new unless you take the class.

I plan to used SN2ed's 90-day schedule and add ten days of summarizing and reviewing to bring it up to 100 days total. I plan to do 14 Full length exams (7 BR and 7 AAMC).

This is the plan I've concoted based on reading far more threads on the matter than I should have. If you took all of the input from hundreds of posts, this is what you'd get.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my books I see a lot of copyright dates

For example in my G Chem I see copyright (c) 2010, 2007, 2003, 2001, 2000, 1995, all the way from 94 to 92. What edition would this be? 2010?

I am not sure and I want to sell these books to my lil sis soon.

Thanks

I don't think they've changed the gen chem too much recently. It's probably none of my business, but why would you charge your own sister for your books?

I don't think they've changed the gen chem too much recently. It's probably none of my business, but why would you charge your own sister for your books?

lol sorry i go to an all girls school lol and one of my classmates want to buy my books lol I always use the word sister freely lol. It's one of my classmates lol

So I trudged through at a pretty slow rate Day 1 - 5. Putting in about 6 focused hours of work per day. I reached Day 6 today, and realized that I am thoroughly confused how to make this day work without access to a time machine.

How is it that one is able to spend about 6 hours per day on each chapter, then do ALL 5 chapters again in just 1 day? And add EK practice to that as well?

Please, give me your insight and your time frames for Day 6! :scared:

when you get to around here...

Day 68: 1/3 Chapter 3
Day 69: 1/3 Chapter 3
Day 70: Break
Day 71: AAMC #4
Day 72: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4
Day 73: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4
Day 74: AAMC #5
Day 75: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 5
Day 76: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 5
Day 77: Break
Day 78: AAMC FL #7
Day 79: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 6
Day 80: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 6

what chapters are those? also, when you say "review FL", you mean the previous AAMC, correct?

Yes, it's to give you another pass through most, if not all, of the topics again. Although it might not be evident at first glance, there are usually reasons for how I structured my schedule.

So I trudged through at a pretty slow rate Day 1 - 5. Putting in about 6 focused hours of work per day. I reached Day 6 today, and realized that I am thoroughly confused how to make this day work without access to a time machine.

How is it that one is able to spend about 6 hours per day on each chapter, then do ALL 5 chapters again in just 1 day? And add EK practice to that as well?

Please, give me your insight and your time frames for Day 6! :scared:

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking the same thing.

SN2ed - or anyone who has completed this schedule - could we get some insight into how to complete day 6 each week? I have committed to this plan, and don't want to get behind in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this thread and the forum and can't find an answer to this question specifically.

SN2ed - or anyone who has completed this schedule - could we get some insight into how to complete day 6 each week? I have committed to this plan, and don't want to get behind in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this thread and the forum and can't find an answer to this question specifically.

I've wanted to commented on this for awhile since the question seems to always come up.

This is kind of why it's not recommended to do school and study for MCAT at the same time. It's physically and mentally exhausting. Because you're sticking to a plan like this, you might feel the urgency to finish the assigned readings for that day or else.. but there isn't an "or else." This schedule is should not rigidly define how you eat and sleep for the next 3-4 months.

On review days, if you find that you won't finish the readings and its 1 in the morning, pack up and finish it tomorrow or the day after the break day. You'll find yourself efficiently going through the material after you're well rested. I've found myself falling behind on some days like Gen Chem and Orgo since I took the former 2 years ago and the latter was just terribly taught at my school. Modify the schedule to fit your own need. Whenever I felt my braining "refusing" to cooperate, I would take the break day scheduled for that Sunday and just make it tomorrow.

I feel this schedule is made for the Summer. You have lots of time, no winter depression mode, and no nagging school work. To those who say they have an easy class load and would still want to continue this schedule think about the amount of time you spend in those class (you still have to attend lecture for participation points, do some HW, and study a bit for the exams--and on certain days before you know it, its nighttime and you barely cracked open the day's MCAT reading). And if you do poorly in school, you'll beat yourself up for not getting the grade you wanted for an otherwise "easy course."

I've wanted to commented on this for awhile since the question seems to always come up.

This is kind of why it's not recommended to do school and study for MCAT at the same time. It's physically and mentally exhausting. Because you're sticking to a plan like this, you might feel the urgency to finish the assigned readings for that day or else.. but there isn't an "or else." This schedule is should not rigidly define how you eat and sleep for the next 3-4 months.

On review days, if you find that you won't finish the readings and its 1 in the morning, pack up and finish it tomorrow or the day after the break day. You'll find yourself efficiently going through the material after you're well rested. I've found myself falling behind on some days like Gen Chem and Orgo since I took the former 2 years ago and the latter was just terribly taught at my school. Modify the schedule to fit your own need. Whenever I felt my braining "refusing" to cooperate, I would take the break day scheduled for that Sunday and just make it tomorrow.

I feel this schedule is made for the Summer. You have lots of time, no winter depression mode, and no nagging school work. To those who say they have an easy class load and would still want to continue this schedule think about the amount of time you spend in those class (you still have to attend lecture for participation points, do some HW, and study a bit for the exams--and on certain days before you know it, its nighttime and you barely cracked open the day's MCAT reading). And if you do poorly in school, you'll beat yourself up for not getting the grade you wanted for an otherwise "easy course."

Thank you for your insight! However, this did not really answer my question. I have between 8 - 12 hours to devote, per day, completely to studying for the mcat. Availability of time in general is not the issue.

My question is specifically about the time that it takes to complete the assigned readings and practice problems on the "re-read all chapters + EK" day. I am curious how others have managed to complete this time-intensive and overwhelming task in 1 day. Are people really reading every word of ever chapter? Or just hitting their weak spots? Are they spending double, triple amount of the normal time they put in during the week? Or averaging about the same amount of time? (Notice I am talking about ratios, not specific amounts of time .... I know everyone's timeframes will vary.) I'm curious if people are utilizing speed reading techniques to accomplish this, or are just skipping all of the examples that they worked the first time through. Do they set time limits and say - I'm just going to study this subject for 2 hours, whether I get through it or not.

.... See what I am getting at? I am wanting a strategy, a testimonial, a guiding light if you will, on how others are managing a reoccurring challenge that seems to be an integral part of this schedule.

I really don't know how to answer your question. Perhaps others can chime in.

Personally, my hours on day-to-day basis were erratic. I read to understand, did passages to fortify it, and took breaks when I needed it. Do what you can.

I plan to work from SN2ed's schedule given how well people have done with it in the past. But I think you need to have some flexibility, because not all chapters are going to take the same amount of time. Day 6 of one week may be crazy because of the specific topics, but then another week it will be totally doable. I plan on adding ten buffer days to the schedule to cover issues like a day where it's so impacted that I can't finish it all. I think you should do the same.

The plan that's laid out is really solid, and has been well thought. But because we are all individuals, it's not going to be exact every day for every person. Mix it up a little. I plan to add a little more verbal to my schedule, because I haven't taken any lit classes and can probably use more practice there.

Day 6 is one of the many reasons why this schedule is not a good idea with school. It is intense. By the way, there are other tough days as well. Additionally, this is also one of the many reasons why I don't give a time frame except for practice passage and review. Everyone is different.

That said, it should be doable with solid prep the day you first read the chapter. When you re-read all of the chapters, it shouldn't be that bad if you put it in the work for the regular days and learned the concepts. The chapter re-reads should take less time then your first run-through.

EK 1001 shouldn't take much time either if you follow the timing I outlined.

From past posters, I remember some using part of their break day to finish which I don't suggest. Others have used one of their buffer days. Usually, people get in the groove and get through it after they know what to expect. Since this schedule has been up, I've only gotten comments about day 6 two or three times including this time. So I definitely think it's doable.

However, if you are still struggling, you may want to switch to the 4 month version. That was one the reasons why I made the variation.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think 75% of test anxiety is not knowing how to prepare. Having a plan like this is so helpful.

I have an idea/suggestion. What about posting a poll asking folks who have followed your plan to about the MCAT score. Little radio boxes for...

25<
26-28
29-30
31-32
33-34
35-37
38+

when you get to around here...

Day 68: 1/3 Chapter 3
Day 69: 1/3 Chapter 3
Day 70: Break
Day 71: AAMC #4
Day 72: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4
Day 73: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4
Day 74: AAMC #5
Day 75: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 5
Day 76: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 5
Day 77: Break
Day 78: AAMC FL #7
Day 79: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 6
Day 80: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 6

what chapters are those? also, when you say "review FL", you mean the previous AAMC, correct?

anyone?

Yes, you spend 2 days to review each AAMC FL after you take them. At the same time, you are spending those two days doing the last 1/3 of the passages from that chapter of all the BR books. For example, for days 72-73, you review aamc4 using the method listed on the first page and you you the last third of the chapter 4 passages of BR bio, physics, gen chem and ochem. I think you're reading the corresponding chapters as you go along, so it should be your third time seeing them (the content, not passages). I hope that clarifies it for you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you spend 2 days to review each AAMC FL after you take them. At the same time, you are spending those two days doing the last 1/3 of the passages from that chapter of all the BR books. For example, for days 72-73, you review aamc4 using the method listed on the first page and you you the last third of the chapter 4 passages of BR bio, physics, gen chem and ochem. I think you're reading the corresponding chapters as you go along, so it should be your third time seeing them (the content, not passages). I hope that clarifies it for you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you! Now I get it with the chapters part. I didn't know what topic went along with the chapter, but now I see, all the topics!

For the questions at the end of each chapter in the BR books, how similar are they to the actual MCAT? Are they much easier or the same? I do a few passages at a time and use the scale they provide but should I consider my scores seriously or not really?

For the questions at the end of each chapter in the BR books, how similar are they to the actual MCAT? Are they much easier or the same? I do a few passages at a time and use the scale they provide but should I consider my scores seriously or not really?

Have you tried a search? ;)

Yes I have, but didn't find what I was looking for. Can someone who knows the answer to the question please respond. Thank you.

The answer is "Yes." Now learn to search. The poster right after you did a simple, logical search and found a related thread. Not to be rude, but as they say, "Teach a man to fish...."

Hey SN2ed, thought this might amuse you:

A few coworkers and I were talking about standardized tests a couple of weeks ago. An attending who's been out of school for 15+ years joined the conversation and mentioned she has to re-certify in... I forget, one of her board exams I think. She heard me talking about your schedule and asked where I found it. I explained that it was tailored to the MCAT, but she pulled it up and by lunch, had engineered a bit of a copycat schedule following a similar pattern, using whatever materials apply to this particular exam. She then emailed it to several fellow examinees in the same boat. Just thought you'd like to know that you now have a mini-cult following of peds ED attendings. Wish I could remember what exam it was for.... but anyway:laugh:

I looked but couldn't find out, I'm wondering what changes have been made to the BR books for 2011

BR Physics had the biggest change. They addressed all of the complaints they got about EM and a few other sections. Here's what BerkReviewTeach posted awhile ago, but it's old now. There's a more recent list floating around somewhere. Again, make sure you get the newest BR Physics book. For the other books, it's not as important, but I'd run a search for that list BerkReviewTeach posted.

epsilonprodigy:

It's crazy how this schedule has grown. I thought this would be like any other thread and disappear after a little while. Never thought it would be used by so many people or get over 200k views.

Edited: Removed old BR version list.

Last edited:
Funny how that works! Don't know where you live/go to school, but it would be pretty hilarious if this attending was ever your preceptor. A particularly venemous attending who loves to eat med students for breakfast is also following this modified version... don't think she knows she's indirectly taking the advice of a med student. (This information could cause her to melt in the fashion of the Wicked Witch of the West. ) Don't know how on earth you ever came up with that schedule, but I'm glad you did.

Every third passage of the corresponding passages for this chapter (i.e. go through 1, 4, 7, 10 for first 1/3 and 2, 5, 8 for the second 1/3 on Day 8). 1/3 of corresponding passages = 1/3 from now on. Also, complete every 1/3 of the discretes each time you work through 1/3 of the passages. In other words, when you take passages #1, 4, 7, 10, take discrete # 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, etc. For the questions in the chapter reading itself, work through them as you read the chapter.

Perhaps I am getting caught up on semantics, but when you say "discretes" are you referring to BR or EK1001? I have the BR books, but don't see a section with discretes, other than the stand-alone questions after Passage 12.

Thank you.

Hello SN2ed,

I am looking to start studying for the MCAT starting this May. I have ordered the BR Books along with Examkrackers Biology, and have signed up for the Kaplan course. The course will be from May to the end of July. I will be taking my MCAT on August 23. Is your method doable if I am taking the Kaplan course concurrently while doing this schedule?

Is the kaplan course even worth it? It has been over 2 years since I took my science courses, and got B's in most of them with a couple A's.

Also, which other books would I need to follow this schedule besides the ones I listed in the paragraph above + EK 1001 Series?

great post. Curious as to why you don't recommend going with the suggested sequence in the BR books. they suggest doing certain passages for task 1, then task 2 timed, then task 3 untimed. Why do you recommend doing 1,4,7,10 etc versus what BR says?

Perhaps I am getting caught up on semantics, but when you say "discretes" are you referring to BR or EK1001? I have the BR books, but don't see a section with discretes, other than the stand-alone questions after Passage 12.

Thank you.

Yeah those discretes. Follow the same 1/3 split as you do with the passages.

great post. Curious as to why you don't recommend going with the suggested sequence in the BR books. they suggest doing certain passages for task 1, then task 2 timed, then task 3 untimed. Why do you recommend doing 1,4,7,10 etc versus what BR says?

For topic variety and to reinforce older material. Working like this ensures you'll see a topic multiple times.

Okay, thank you. And the timing for the BR discretes the same as EK? About 30-60 sec per question?

It just seems so short, though. The discretes for Chapter 1 (Gen Chem) are #87-100. And if I do every third one, it feels like I'm not doing enough...

Anyways, thanks again for the clarification.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

So I am going to be using the TPRH books for content...I also have the Science workbook that contains both discretes and passages...do you think it would be a good idea to use this book instead of the BR books for the discretes/passages?????

Hi All, SN2ed thank you so much for your great advices. I'm a retaker and have till May 7 to prepare again for mcat, I have been following this thread and have used your techniques to come up with a schedule. I've used Rdavido's excel sheet and changed it to fit my schedule a bit better. After my last test I have realised that I have problem with every section, and material review might help me. I am using TPRH instead of TBR (but might get a hold of some TBR in near future and add to it). This Schedule is intense since I want to use all the material I have for this test, I have usually been able to do better under pressure than relaxed so that's why im making it more intense than it needs to be. With all that in mind, I have taken all of TPR FL's (and fully know your oppinion on not retaking them) but have decided to retake them anyway just as a material practice(since it has been about 6 months since last I took them). I have AAMC FLs as well which I'm planing to take. Also on the last month I am going to try to take 2 FL's on the FL days :eek: to bring up my stamina. In addition, I am going to review both EK and TPRH chapters/day. I have taken out the hat trick and replaced it with the Flash Card Review (it's Pretty much the same with minor differences). Its been about a week going with this schedule and I'm getting the hand of it, I have posted the new changes. I wanted to get you guys's oppinion on it (specially SN2ed's,please). Again, Pleaaaase give me your opinions... I'd appreciate any pointers. thnx

Hi,

I like your post. Im in the same boat. I sent you a private message. Msg me ;-)

For topic variety and to reinforce older material. Working like this ensures you'll see a topic multiple times.

Originally Posted by sahandy
Hi All, SN2ed thank you so much for your great advices. I'm a retaker and have till May 7 to prepare again for mcat, I have been following this thread and have used your techniques to come up with a schedule. I've used Rdavido's excel sheet and changed it to fit my schedule a bit better. After my last test I have realised that I have problem with every section, and material review might help me. I am using TPRH instead of TBR (but might get a hold of some TBR in near future and add to it). This Schedule is intense since I want to use all the material I have for this test, I have usually been able to do better under pressure than relaxed so that's why im making it more intense than it needs to be. With all that in mind, I have taken all of TPR FL's (and fully know your oppinion on not retaking them) but have decided to retake them anyway just as a material practice(since it has been about 6 months since last I took them). I have AAMC FLs as well which I'm planing to take. Also on the last month I am going to try to take 2 FL's on the FL days :eek: to bring up my stamina. In addition, I am going to review both EK and TPRH chapters/day. I have taken out the hat trick and replaced it with the Flash Card Review (it's Pretty much the same with minor differences). Its been about a week going with this schedule and I'm getting the hand of it, I have posted the new changes. I wanted to get you guys's oppinion on it (specially SN2ed's,please). Again, Pleaaaase give me your opinions... I'd appreciate any pointers. thnx

SN2ed`s I would like to know what you think about sahandy schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.