Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
I take the MCAT 186 days from now,
Im going to do the 4th month schedule so that leaves me with 66 days to mess around, so what should I do during that time?

Read every single post in this thread so you don't have questions later:) Then do something fun if you don't have school. also, be sure to read stuff everyday and maybe go over stuff from your prereq classes.

Ok....so this is what i have.

I have all the ExamKrackers Books 7th Ed. and I have all the TPRH books!

Which set should I use for content review and practice questions/passages!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SN2ed,

I wrote my MCAT on Jan 29 and just got my score back, 35R. I followed the 4 month schedule. I want to thank you for the study schedule and all the useful tips you posted.

Also thanks to Berkeley review books, really helped me in orgo and gen chem. If you were a girl I would definitely be thinking long term.

Thanks
RP

Thanks SN2ed for the schedule. Really great stuff on here. I also took the 1/29/11 test and got a 31. I did it while on a light schedule of school work. Improved my score by 7 points. Thanks again brother. YOU DA MAN!

Another thanks for the schedule. I took the Jan 29 MCAT and here are my results using (more or less) your plan.

34Q (12ps, 10vr, 12bs) on real thing.

Average of AAMC's was 33.88
AAMC 3 12/26/2010 - 37 (13ps, 9vr,15bs)
AAMC 4 1/3/2011 - 29 (10ps, 9vr, 10 bs)
AAMC 5 1/6/2011 - 36 (13ps, 11vr, 12bs)
AAMC 7 1/13/2011 - 33 (12ps, 8vr, 13bs)
AAMC 8 1/15/2011 - 33 (12ps, 8vr, 13bs)
AAMC 9 1/18/2011 - 33 (12ps, 9vr, 12bs)
AAMC 10 1/22/2011 35 (12ps, 10vr, 13bs)
AAMC 11 1/26/2011 34 (13ps, 9vr, 12bs)

SN2ed, you are indeed an angel. Thank you.

Couple Quick Questions:

-Do you think there are advantages to taking more FLs before the actual MCAT?

-If so, how many, and how would you recommend scheduling them--either within or as an extension of your current 3 month schedule?

Thank you for posting this SN2ed :)

I didn't purchase BRs Biology book (after reading a few bad things about it), and now I'm very nervous because I take the test in June and would like a book with Biology passages. I'd buy the BR Bio book, but it takes far too long to give them the money, and wait for the package to arrive. I have ExamKracker's Biology Review, but I think a book with passages would also be good to purchase (or not?).

Any suggestions for a replacement?

Last edited:
Great job everyone. Glad I could do a little to help.

SN2ed, you are indeed an angel. Thank you.

Couple Quick Questions:

-Do you think there are advantages to taking more FLs before the actual MCAT?

-If so, how many, and how would you recommend scheduling them--either within or as an extension of your current 3 month schedule?

The more practice the better as long as you don't skimp on the post-test review which is the most important aspect of taking a FL. If you want to add some, extend the schedule slightly. Maybe add BR 1-3 to AAMC 3-11.

Thank you for posting this SN2ed :)

I didn't purchase BRs Biology book (after reading a few bad things about it), and now I'm very nervous because I take the test in June and would like a book with Biology passages. I'd buy the BR Bio book, but it takes far too long to give them the money, and wait for the package to arrive. I have ExamKracker's Biology Review, but I think a book with passages would also be good to purchase (or not?).

Any suggestions for a replacement?

Yeah you really have to have a book with passages. BR offers the best and TPRH is next up with their science workbook which is tough to get. Again, BR easily offers the top bio passages and I really would pick it up. EK 1001 is another option, but it's FAR too easy and doesn't resemble the current MCAT very well. Also, it shouldn't take too long to get BR bio and you could buy from a private seller in the For Sale forum. I just have a hard time recommending EK 1001 Bio.

If you have some money, you could buy EK 1001 Bio now while you order BR Bio. That way you'd have some practice passages in the meantime.

Great job everyone. Glad I could do a little to help.

The more practice the better as long as you don't skimp on the post-test review which is the most important aspect of taking a FL. If you want to add some, extend the schedule slightly. Maybe add BR 1-3 to AAMC 3-11.

Yeah you really have to have a book with passages. BR offers the best and TPRH is next up with their science workbook which is tough to get. Again, BR easily offers the top bio passages and I really would pick it up. EK 1001 is another option, but it's FAR too easy and doesn't resemble the current MCAT very well. Also, it shouldn't take too long to get BR bio and you could buy from a private seller in the For Sale forum. I just have a hard time recommending EK 1001 Bio.

If you have some money, you could buy EK 1001 Bio now while you order BR Bio. That way you'd have some practice passages in the meantime.

Thanks for your response :D It's awesome that you keep responding to your post you posted almost two years ago!

Idk I'm kinda freaking out because my test is in June, and, if I were to purchase from Berkeley-Review directly, 10 days in total (sending money in, then wait) or so would be a lot of time wasted, that is if I strictly followed your schedule (I might have to alter it, though, for I already have the EK books....). Due to time constraints, is this the TPRH Biology book that you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlearning...=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299121779&sr=1-5

Edit: I can afford it, so I might take the rout that you suggested (especially if you really think that BR is worth it). I just wish BR had a better payment system...

Thanks for your response :D It's awesome that you keep responding to your post you posted almost two years ago!

Idk I'm kinda freaking out because my test is in June, and, if I were to purchase from Berkeley-Review directly, 10 days in total (sending money in, then wait) or so would be a lot of time wasted, that is if I strictly followed your schedule (I might have to alter it, though, for I already have the EK books....). Due to time constraints, is this the TPRH Biology book that you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlearning...=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299121779&sr=1-5

Edit: I can afford it, so I might take the rout that you suggested (especially if you really think that BR is worth it). I just wish BR had a better payment system...

It's been two years, wow.

Yeah just do the route I suggested. Also check the For Sale forum since someone might be willing to ship it to you faster. Also, no that's not the right TPRH book. The book in question is TPRH Science Workbook. That's their BS content review book.

It's been two years, wow.

Yeah just do the route I suggested. Also check the For Sale forum since someone might be willing to ship it to you faster. Also, no that's not the right TPRH book. The book in question is TPRH Science Workbook. That's their BS content review book.

Yeesh was going to do a second edit, but then you responded :p

About the EK 1001 Biology book...I'm very hesitant getting it because of the reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299122432&sr=1-1

..People are saying that the book is flooded with errors. I will attempt to find a seller for the BR Biology book.

This looks like the Hyperlearning Science Workbook...

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlearning...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299122906&sr=1-1

Yeesh was going to do a second edit, but then you responded :p

About the EK 1001 Biology book...I'm very hesitant getting it because of the reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299122432&sr=1-1

..People are saying that the book is flooded with errors. I will attempt to find a seller for the BR Biology book, but I feel time cramped and finding a seller is kinda due to chance in my eyes.

This looks like the Hyperlearning Science Workbook...

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlearning...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299122906&sr=1-1

Yet another reason why I don't really suggest EK.

None of those workbooks are in acceptable condition. You need to get a completely unmarked copy. Getting BR really shouldn't take that long. The time you would take to look through the For Sale forum for a BR Bio book is about the same as it took for you to reply to my post. Probably much shorter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yet another reason why I don't really suggest EK.

None of those workbooks are in acceptable condition. You need to get a completely unmarked copy. Getting BR really shouldn't take that long. The time you would take to look through the For Sale forum for a BR Bio book is about the same as it took for you to reply to my post. Probably much shorter.

Yeah, that's true. I'll do that. I think I might make a WANTED post, too. When I ordered the other BR books, I hesitated buying the Biology books because of what I read in a different thread saying that the BR Bio wasn't a good choice, but I'll disregard that. Thank you so much for your help :)

Last edited:
Sn2ed, what do you think of the TPR FL exams. I used all of the AAMC exams, and I know you suggested not to reuse them so I was looking into TPR and possibly BR, since you suggested that over GS in a recent post.

In addition, did you or have you had experience with the TBR verbal book. Verbal is my worst section, and I used the majority of the EK book along with the TPR verbal book and I am looking into new reading material. A few people have suggested some LSAT verbal, which I have been considering since many people say it is good practice and measures on par with the difficulty of the MCAT verbal. I will be retaking, so your advice would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!:D

Just joined the thread and eager to start the plan. I anticipate days when circumstance prevents me from adhering to the schedule. I searched the posts for similar questions, and just wanted to clarify with the administrator if the following levels of flexibility are reliable:

1. If one was unable to complete the assigned work for a certain day, he should make it up the following day in addition to the work assigned for that next day, and not try to make it up on a rest day, which should ideally be reserved for mental relaxation.

2. In the case where one knows they have some sort of event that conflicts with their study schedule, and they must attend to this event, they can rearrange the study days of the week, making the day of the event a rest day.

3. Because things generally never go according to plan, do you suggest adding 10-15 buffer days, i.e. days that can function as make up days in the event that something conflicts with the schedule?

Thanks, all the best

Just joined the thread and eager to start the plan. I anticipate days when circumstance prevents me from adhering to the schedule. I searched the posts for similar questions, and just wanted to clarify with the administrator if the following levels of flexibility are reliable:

1. If one was unable to complete the assigned work for a certain day, he should make it up the following day in addition to the work assigned for that next day, and not try to make it up on a rest day, which should ideally be reserved for mental relaxation.

2. In the case where one knows they have some sort of event that conflicts with their study schedule, and they must attend to this event, they can rearrange the study days of the week, making the day of the event a rest day.

3. Because things generally never go according to plan, do you suggest adding 10-15 buffer days, i.e. days that can function as make up days in the event that something conflicts with the schedule?

Thanks, all the best

I'm not the OP, but I can't see you getting anything good out of stuffing 2 days worth of content into 1 day. You're better off having a bunch of buffer days for when those things come up.

If you stretch the schedule out from 3 to 4 months, you might want to review some of the stuff you've read earlier now and then to keep it fresh.

Just signed up for my Sept test! I am anxious to study this summer.

Just wondering, on average, how many hours would each day take? I know it varies per person, but I just want to plan accordingly so I can plan out other things I might do during the summer.

Just signed up for my Sept test! I am anxious to study this summer.

Just wondering, on average, how many hours would each day take? I know it varies per person, but I just want to plan accordingly so I can plan out other things I might do during the summer.

Again, there is FAR too much variation from person to person to give any kind of estimate outside of what's already given in the timing section. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE.

Hey SN2ed,

Thanks for all you've done to help others with the MCAT. I'm a junior and switched to premed late in the game. So far, I have 1 semester of ochem and 1 semester of general bio under my belt with a strong background in gen chem and physics. I am looking to apply in next year's cycle.

Would it be better to take the MCAT in aug/sept using your schedule this summer, or to wait and take it in jan or next spring (I'll have heavy course loads and research)?

This coming fall I'm taking anatomy and ochem 2 and in the spring I'm taking cell biology. Will self-study cover these classes that I haven't taken yet? I'm trying to weigh pros/cons.

Thanks

Hey SN2ed,

Thanks for all you've done to help others with the MCAT. I'm a junior and switched to premed late in the game. So far, I have 1 semester of ochem and 1 semester of general bio under my belt with a strong background in gen chem and physics. I am looking to apply in next year's cycle.

Would it be better to take the MCAT in aug/sept using your schedule this summer, or to wait and take it in jan or next spring (I'll have heavy course loads and research)?

This coming fall I'm taking anatomy and ochem 2 and in the spring I'm taking cell biology. Will self-study cover these classes that I haven't taken yet? I'm trying to weigh pros/cons.

Thanks

If you're done the requirements by the summer, take it in aug/sept.

Just get it out of the way. You have SO much time to prepare over the summer.

Hi,

I've been searching the forums as best I can but can't find what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have a link to a thread that matches up BR chapters with EK 1001 chapters?
I know about the Bio one that matches up BR passages with EK chapters but does anyone know of a similar list for Orgo, Gen Chem and/or Physics?

Thanks in advance!

BR physics have 25 review questions at the end of each chapter. Do you recommend work through them?. .

Not to be rude here or anything but have you actually read this thread at all? Take a look around before posting, please.

Not to be rude here or anything but have you actually read this thread at all? Take a look around before posting, please.

I had read all 27 pages, I believe these 25 review questions was added with the new Berkeley Review Physics Workbook in 2011. If you happen to see the answer to my question.. please direct me to the page or page range. Sarcastic remark is uncalled as in “but have you actually read this thread at all”.

I had read all 27 pages, I believe these 25 review questions was added with the new Berkeley Review Physics Workbook in 2011. If you happen to see the answer to my question.. please direct me to the page or page range. Sarcastic remark is uncalled as in “but have you actually read this thread at all”.

How about using common sense.

Do you think more practice will help or hurt you? I hope you're capable of making such a basic decision for yourself.

How about using common sense.

Do you think more practice will help or hurt you? I hope you're capable of making such a basic decision for yourself.

Some took me by surprise. Matter of fact, you are not even doctor yet.. and you act like Prima Donna. Some traditional student may find doing more problem is helpful, but I am a non-traditional that work for a living with this rigid study schedule and work schedule.

I have to give many thanks to SN2ed for providing this study guide.

Maybe some need to watch the movie "The Doctor" Directed by Randa Haines 1991. Please act more helpful instead of a wise-arse.

Last edited:
Some took me by surprise. Matter of fact, you are not even doctor yet.. and you act like Prima Donna. Some traditional student may find doing more problem is helpful, but I am a non-traditional that work for a living with this rigid study schedule and work schedule.

Maybe some need to watch the movie "The Doctor" Directed by Randa Haines 1991. Please act more helpful instead of a wise-arse.

Whoever reads this should try reading it with a Borat accent in mind.

Hi. You don't know me. I work full time (~45hrs a week). I study 3 days during the work week for 4-6 hrs after working from 8-5. In some cases after working from 6AM-5PM. Stop making excuses. You either will find a way to do this or you won't. I couldn't care either which way.

If you think that practice doesn't help you then you're going to be in for a fun realization when you take practice exams.

Actually, you'll be in for a surprise when you take the real mcat because you don't find doing problems helpful and you'll have no idea what the test looks like till you're there.

People who do well on the MCAT all have one two things in common. They work hard and they practice.

Practice is an integral part of the sn2ed schedule for that very reason.

FWIW, I work with doctors. Some are primadonna's but most aren't. I'd say more college students are primadonna's than physicians if the docs I work with represent the greater sample. And I'm not saying anything about being a physician. Having fun making your logical fallacies?

Edit: I guess I stand corrected. You can't make a basic decision.

Again, there is FAR too much variation from person to person to give any kind of estimate outside of what's already given in the timing section. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE.

It also depends on the chapter.

I've breezed through some chem stuff that I remember very well and taken 3-4x as long on some bio stuff that I'm less familiar with.

I think a good schedule such as yours is important, but I think it's helpful to have a few buffer days so you can spend more time studying something if necessary.

Hi,

I've been searching the forums as best I can but can't find what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have a link to a thread that matches up BR chapters with EK 1001 chapters?
I know about the Bio one that matches up BR passages with EK chapters but does anyone know of a similar list for Orgo, Gen Chem and/or Physics?

Thanks in advance!

Just do the best you can with the table of contents and section headings in the EK 1001 and BR books. It should work fairly well.

BR physics have 25 review questions at the end of each chapter. Do you recommend work through them?

Follow the same 1/3 approach given for all the practice passages and discretes.

I think a good schedule such as yours is important, but I think it's helpful to have a few buffer days so you can spend more time studying something if necessary.

Already taken care of. Right before my schedule, I suggest a buffer of 4 days in the Day to Day section. That's always been there. Did you mean I should add more buffer days?

Already taken care of. Right before my schedule, I suggest a buffer of 4 days in the Day to Day section. That's always been there. Did you mean I should add more buffer days?

I was saying that people with extenuating circumstances that might not be able to do the 4 month schedule to a T should add in a few extra days before/after just so life doesn't get in the way. That's in addition to your buffer days.

I'm studying on my own schedule because I know how I learn best (and I'm not using tbr), but I couldn't have predicted that my mom was going to get surgery in late feb. With that, I went home for 2 weekends and 'lost' a lot of study time. I mean, it's fine because I needed to be at home, but since I work full time, I get a LOT done on weekends. I was gone for a total of 8 days, so it was significant.

Because I gave myself more time to study, I wasn't stressed when I got back and dove back into it and I'm still going to hit all my time benchmarks, give or take a few days. I also dialed it up before I left because I knew I'd get a break. I did some studying when my mom was asleep or we couldn't visit in the hospital.

Since I'm taking more time to study, I do go back and reread chapters I've taken notes on before just so I don't forget things. The 1001 books help with that as well.

so, quick question to ask your opinion...

I have signed up for the mcat test on april 29th, and have not started studying yet :sleep: I was planning on starting studying wednesday.

Question is, should i take this test in april, just to get a feel for what to expect, and then take it again more seriously in august, or should i only take the one in august? I ask this because i want to know if a potential not so prolific score (expecting 25, due to lack of studying) would negatively affect my application. Also, if it would be bad to study half of this schedule, then start over again after the test during summer vacation?

Also, thank you for this schedule.

Edit: I'm a junior, next semester will be senior year.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgI2ZQVyrBo[/YOUTUBE]

SN2ed,
For physics and genchem, why do you rank kaplan as #3 or #4 (can't remember the exact order)? is it because they are too difficult or they are not similar to mcat? I'm asking this because I think I remember you said somewhere that kaplan has some solid science passages.
Are you referring to the qbank/subject tests/online materials as #3 and kaplan FL's as a solid source?
Just a bit confused.

Thanks

As a non-trad, I'll be taking only General Chemistry a full year prior to taking O-Chem, Bio, and Physics. What do you kind folks recommend for MCAT prep both while taking Chem and a year later a few months prior to my test date? I.e., use BR Chem review just prior to MCAT date, and use something else while taking the course?

Many thanks.

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy.

Sorry, let me clarify.

I will be taking Gen Chem this fall and next spring. Fall 2012 and spring 2013 I will take O-Chem, Bio, and Physics. I intend to use your strategy prior to taking the MCAT in the summer of 2013.

My question is this: would it be worth it to concurrently study the MCAT with something as in depth as BR Chem while taking Gen Chem over a year and a half prior to taking the MCAT? Or should I save the BR for your 3 month strategy and employ some other means of MCAT prep while taking Gen Chem?

I am thinking about using this strategy, but substituting material. Instead of BR I wanted to use the books I received from Kaplan when I took their MCAT prep course. They are their newest and most updated books, as far as I know. I'm thinking of using these because I never really read these chapters previously so it would be relatively new to me. Would these Kaplan books be comparable to BR? Also, I know they don't have the passages that BR has, so I guess getting the EK 1001 books should work well enough without having the BR passages along with it?

Edit: I don't know how I missed it on this page of comments, but I do see sn2ed did comment that EK 1001 books are easier and its tough to pass up the BR passages. Apparently they are that awesome, I guess I should seriously consider just getting the BR books. At least for the passages. I'll find the money somewhere.

I do still wonder if I can use the Kaplan books for content review and have them be as effective as BR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to sdn!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=795386
I don't think it's suggested to do that because it's the passages that you want. You could cut down cost by buying used and not getting verbal since ek101 and tprh are better. It's really up to you, but I think the general opinions here come from people who have used these resources and haven taken the mcat. I think even sn2ed started with a kaplan course initially if you look at old posts.

BR Physics had the biggest change. They addressed all of the complaints they got about EM and a few other sections. Here's what BerkReviewTeach posted awhile ago, but it's old now. There's a more recent list floating around somewhere. Again, make sure you get the newest BR Physics book. For the other books, it's not as important, but I'd run a search for that list BerkReviewTeach posted.

In terms of the editions for the books, here is a mix of the reply I got from the office along with my input based on feedback from students I tutored last summer:

Biology: There is a 2008 version, but the book is pretty much the same as it was in 2004 with minor editting and upgrading of drawings since that time. Avoid books from before 2004.

Verbal Reasoning: There are a 2008 and 2009 version that look the same to me. It underwent a major overhaul in 2007, where more technqiues were incorporated into the answer explanations. After running it by students for a year, it went to print as it is now. It also took into account the CBT and issues associated with a computer screen. Avoid books from before 2008.

General Chemistry: There is a 2009 version. It underwent an overhaul in 2004 (in terms of passages and sequence of topics). Apparently it's being revised and editted at this time to match the physics book that was supposed to be out this past spring. But once the new edition comes out (probably late Fall 2009), it will be the version of choice. For now, avoid books from before 2004.

Physics: There is a 2009 version. It has had changes to some of the answer explanations with every new session of the class, but the text has been constant since 2002. There were new passages introduced and changes to existing passages in 2004 and 2007. Selected chapters from the upsoming version of the physics books are supposedly going to be used in the classroom this summer. The new book apparently should be out in the Fall. Avoid books from before 2007.

Organic Chemistry: There is a 2009 version. It underwent a major overhaul in 2004 (when the AAMC people decided to change the content on the MCAT--no more benzene and alkene chemistry, amongst other changes). It also incorporated some biology subjects (mostly biochemistry, in an effort to serve as a sort of Cliff Notes for those topics). Avoid books from before 2004.

epsilonprodigy:

It's crazy how this schedule has grown. I thought this would be like any other thread and disappear after a little while. Never thought it would be used by so many people or get over 200k views.

-Would you mind doing something similar for the Exam Krackers series? My Exam Krackers MCAT subject books are all 7th edition--is that ok? I feel like you've mentioned these EK books to be odd in terms of later editions having more mistakes than earlier ones.

My Exam Kracker 1001's are all wonky editions : Bio (2006); Orgo (2006); Gen Chem (2005); Physics (2003)---Do you reccomend I buy different editions of these books?

-Given this response by BerkReviewTech http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=801731 it seems that the physics and biology books I purchased last spring are a little outdated---they're also the ones that have black binding and non-glossy covers. I guess this means I'm buying their physics and biology book.

My TPR Hyperlearning verbal workbook is copyright 2008 but it says it's the 2009 edition :(

& my 16 mini mcats from Exam Krackers is the 2004 edition

Thanks SN2ed for your time :) I'm using this and next month to gather my materials before I start your 4 month study plan on May 1st (ironically the day of no action ha!)

as far as I know, the edition of ek you have doesn't matter too much. For the review series, I don't think they changed anything within the past couple versions except for errors. I don't think they've released new 1001's recently. The different year you listed are fine and might be the newest ones already. Most books are usually printed out before they're published, hence the 2009 vs 2009.

I have seen a lot about not reusing AAMC FLs. However, it has been well over 3 years since i've seen any of them and I can't see how I would remember any of it. Is it still a bad idea to reuse them or is the lenght of time a factor?

I don't really know for sure, but I think that it'll be different since you're seen them before. perhaps take them, but don't assume the scores are accurate. Have you taken 11 (cam out last year). If not, save that for last to get a more accurate estimate.

I don't think you're really going to remember tests from 3 years ago. I would do them as practice, but realize that the scores might not be predictive.

You should get TBR tests if you haven't used those before.

I searched in this thread but didn't find an answer - but my apologies if it's buried in there somewhere!

Anyway -

First, thank you so much for this guide, SN2. I'm thoroughly impressed and grateful!

Second, I'm confused about the discretes - I'm looking in my BR (2009) physics book, and am only seeing in-text questions and passages, no discretes. Am I missing something? Or have the books changed?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.