Bringing up mental illness to explain required LOA & LOA with Ws

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chambers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a undergrad at a private institution and I was on a required LOA due only to an insufficient number of academic credit hours passed for the last semester (not sure if it shows on the transcript, if not I won't have to explain I guess).
I am currently planning on taking another LOA this semester due to mental illness which would result in a series of Ws for the courses that I am taking. Should I try to explain this bringing up my mental illness later when applying, or would that be seen just as an excuse?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be a little bit troubling whether you explain it honestly or not. Medical schools are risk-averse, especially when they have so many risk-free candidates to choose from.

I would worry less about the medical schools' thoughts and on getting better first.

That really is the only thing that matters. Get your health issues - brain chemistry - figured out and take each step afterwards, one at a time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be a little bit troubling whether you explain it honestly or not. Medical schools are risk-averse, especially when they have so many risk-free candidates to choose from.
Don't do it. Medical school admissions can be very intolerant about mental illness. It's a huge risk.

Then I guess it'd be better for me if I take a conditional LOA rather than a health LOA if possible. I've been dealing with this illness since last semester and even though I'm planning to take another LOA right now I feel way much better since then, up to a point where I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't be considered as a risky candidate in the future when applying.

I would worry less about the medical schools' thoughts and on getting better first.

That really is the only thing that matters. Get your health issues - brain chemistry - figured out and take each step afterwards, one at a time.

That is true. Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: 1 user
No matter how it's explained, it always comes across as an excuse in a PS.

Many secondary prompts will ask for "greatest challenge?" or "explain any prolonged absences or interruptions from school" or even "anything else you want to tell us?"

That's where you bring up the mental health issues.

Do keep in mind that medical school is a furnace and I've seen it break even healthy students. So go into this process eyes open, but NOT without the OK from your therapist or psychiatrist.

And heal first,

So I am a undergrad at a private institution and I was on a required LOA due only to an insufficient number of academic credit hours passed for the last semester (not sure if it shows on the transcript, if not I won't have to explain I guess).
I am currently planning on taking another LOA this semester due to mental illness which would result in a series of Ws for the courses that I am taking. Should I try to explain this bringing up my mental illness later when applying, or would that be seen just as an excuse?

Reactions: 1 users