BS in Finance to Medical School, do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I have a chance?

• Total voters

kgab94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating with a B.S. in Finance in May of 2017 with CGPA of ~ 3.1 , I was previously an engineering major, but I really want to become a doctor. I learned that during my internship at a trading company as an analyst, I realized that I wasn't meant to be in the finance field but medical field and become a doctor. My gpa is not great because of some engineering classes which brought my GPA down, but I have taken some science classes: Chem I and II, I made an A and PHYS I and II, made an A and B respectively. Biology I - A and I still have yet to take BIO II and OCHEM I and II. I have also taken Psychology and I made an A in my class.
Do I have a chance in getting into Medical school? I am aiming for osteopathic medicine.
TCOM perhaps (Texas College of Osteopathic medicine) in Fort Worth, Texas.

I am currently a market research assistant (Concentration in Public Health) for almost a year.
I worked as a medical scribe for 7 months.
I am a mentor for a well known mentoring program and I currently volunteer in an assisted living.

I have taken a practice MCAT and received a score of 518.
Do I have a chance of getting in even with my low GPA and that I am graduating with a non-science degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake any C/D/F courses. Even if they aren't relevant to medicine. The DO application service lets you replace grades with the newest retake.

Take the MCAT and get a 503+ the higher the better

Apply DO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah youll have a chance, youre gonna wanna do some grade replacement and post bach to get that GPA around 3.3.

But jesus, you just took a random practice MCAT and scored 518 out of the blue?? No studying or anything :O

Yeah youll have a chance, youre gonna wanna do some grade replacement and post bach to get that GPA around 3.3.

But jesus, you just took a random practice MCAT and scored 518 out of the blue?? No studying or anything :O

OP is a low key genius