Bu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear from BU for an interview invite lately? If so were you an august or april mcatter?

Members don't see this ad.

doctor5 said:
Anyone hear from BU for an interview invite lately? If so were you an august or april mcatter?

ive been complete for such a long time now and still haven't heard from them or tufts. i wonder what really went on inthe adcom's minds when they passed my app aside.. and left it there for ~3mths.

i interviewd with them in november
i hear they have a formula or some thing
i was complete in sept i think? hoep that helped
they said they have 10,000 aplpicants this year and are interveiwing 1000 ppl for about 140 spots ! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
acidhouse303 said:
i interviewd with them in november
i hear they have a formula or some thing
i was complete in sept i think? hoep that helped
they said they have 10,000 aplpicants this year and are interveiwing 1000 ppl for about 140 spots ! :eek:
I just interviewed with them today, and unless you're in the BU seven year program or plan a joint MD/second degree, it's only one of 100 spots you're competing for.

I was an April MCATer, completed secondary for BU in early Sept. They invited me just two weeks ago. The dean of admissions said that they'll be interviewing 600 or so applicants up till Christmas break. Then Jan. 8th they'll accept about 30 people, reject a few, and tell the rest to hold on while they interview the remaining 400. Some time in March is when the bulk of the class will be accepted.

He also relayed that last year, including the waitlisters, they ended up accepting about 275 people. Which of course means that better than one out of four people who interview there will be accepted. Which reminds me of a joke:

Two guys were walking in the woods when all of a sudden a grizzly bear came charging around the bend at them. The first guy goes to run, but the second stops to put on a good pair of sneakers. The first guy says "What are you crazy?! You'll never be able to outrun the bear." And the second guy says "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you."

Gunners in da house. :D

i interviewed in november but havent heard a thing. Have they accepted anyone yet?

3rd_i said:
Then Jan. 8th they'll accept about 30 people, reject a few, and tell the rest to hold on while they interview the remaining 400. Some time in March is when the bulk of the class will be accepted.

30 people?! good God.

Did the dean actually give you that "30 people" figure or is that your own estimate? when i interviewed, he just said that they "underaccept" in january, without specifying any numbers.

lightnk102 said:
30 people?! good God.

Did the dean actually give you that "30 people" figure or is that your own estimate? when i interviewed, he just said that they "underaccept" in january, without specifying any numbers.

He said they would accept 30% of the class in January and will have completed about 60-70% of all the interviews. IN march they will finish the interviewing and accept the remaining 70% of the class. They will interview about 1000 people for 100 spots. I think they said they will send out approx 200 acceptances.

For those you you interested, here are the numbers for the class of 2008 in BU.

9032 applications (4767 female, 4265 male)

146 MD students (83 Female, 63 Male)
109 Regular applicants
13 Seven year program from BU
10 MMedic program from BU
3 ENGMEDIC program from BU
11 EMSSP Program from BU

9 MD/PhD

complete in september, just got invited last week for an interview in january.

good luck!

lightnk102 said:
30 people?! good God.

the dean said that on january 8th they will give out acceptances to fill 1/3 of their class so about 33 students and their turnover rate is about 30% so that would be around 90-95 acceptances.

mumpers said:
i interviewed in november but havent heard a thing. Have they accepted anyone yet?
everyone who interviewed before winter break will hear on jan 8th :) good luck !! :luck: :thumbup:

doctormalki
ur avatar is soo awwwwww-inspiring... AWWW!!!
too cute :)
had to have a "girlie" moment there

acidhouse303 said:
doctormalki
ur avatar is soo awwwwww-inspiring... AWWW!!!
too cute :)
had to have a "girlie" moment there

Thanks acidhouse !! :) They do look very cute and innocent :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorMalki said:
everyone who interviewed before winter break will hear on jan 8th :) good luck !! :luck: :thumbup:
Any one else waiting with baited breath for word this week from BU?

3rd_i said:
Any one else waiting with baited breath for word this week from BU?

I am!

Question: Do you know if all interviewees who interviewed before Winter Break will hear - that is, will EVERYONE get a letter - even if they're put in the "continue to review" pile? Just wondering.

From the looks of things, a couple people who live near the Boston area posted their acceptances yesterday - what will Monday and Tuesday's mail hold for the rest of us who reside a little further away?!

Interviewed before the winter break in nov., live in boston, and still nothing in the mail....

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

ajt2003 said:
I am!

Question: Do you know if all interviewees who interviewed before Winter Break will hear - that is, will EVERYONE get a letter - even if they're put in the "continue to review" pile? Just wondering.

From the looks of things, a couple people who live near the Boston area posted their acceptances yesterday - what will Monday and Tuesday's mail hold for the rest of us who reside a little further away?!

I received an acceptance letter yesterday (Saturday)....couldn't be happier. It's the first school I have heard from. The letter was dated January 7. Good luck to everybody!!

Congratulations Kc123 !! :thumbup: That must feel so great !!

I am also waiting to hear from them. From what I remember everyone who interviewed before winter break will get a letter! Good luck !! :luck:

DoctorMalki said:
Congratulations Kc123 !! :thumbup: That must feel so great !!

I am also waiting to hear from them. From what I remember everyone who interviewed before winter break will get a letter! Good luck !! :luck:

Thanks so much. I am really happy. I hope that you hear from them soon. Where do you live? I also heard that everyone who interviewed before winter break will get a letter. Best of luck! :)

Karin

kc123 said:
Thanks so much. I am really happy. I hope that you hear from them soon. Where do you live? I also heard that everyone who interviewed before winter break will get a letter. Best of luck! :)

Karin

i live on the west coast so its not gonna get to me till maybe tuesday... keeping my fingers crossed!!
I am really happy for you though!! You must be an amazing applicant to be accepted in the first round. Good Job ! :thumbup: I am just hoping to not get a rejection lol

DoctorMalki said:
i live on the west coast so its not gonna get to me till maybe tuesday... keeping my fingers crossed!!
I am really happy for you though!! You must be an amazing applicant to be accepted in the first round. Good Job ! :thumbup: I am just hoping to not get a rejection lol
Take it from me and my fingernails, I'm with you. ;)

Hey guys,

I too was accepted to B.U.! I interviewed in mid November, in case anyone is curious.

:D Treg

Congratulations Treg !!! :thumbup:

I'm in, I'm in!!!

I got an email from the faculty member that interviewed me congratulating me on my acceptance. She says that the letter is on its way to me right now.

YES! I can start to treat that peptic ulcer now. :D

3rd_i said:
I'm in, I'm in!!!

I got an email from the faculty member that interviewed me congratulating me on my acceptance. She says that the letter is on its way to me right now.

Congratulations to both of you! Maybe we will be classmates!

aaahhhh...the wait is horrible!

DrYo12 said:
aaahhhh...the wait is horrible!

I totally agree. After work I'm RUNNING home to check the mail. Please, BU? Please?

3rd_i said:
I'm in, I'm in!!!

Congrats. I got a phone call from my interviewer earlier today to congratulate me on the acceptance. I received the letter on Saturday, so the news wasn't a surprise, but I felt that it was extremely nice of her to call me and express her happiness. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear.

if all the acceptance letters are starting to be received, I'm a little :scared: ...

Congratulations on your acceptances guys !!!! :thumbup:

Me too, me too!!!! BU likes me!

I've been jumping around my apartment for the last 30 minutes! Whoohoo!

Good luck everyone!

ajt2003 said:

Good luck everyone!
:D:D:D Congrats!!!!

OMG...YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!! :D

ajt2003 said:

Good luck everyone!

My dad calls.
"I have the smartest daughter in the world."

That was all I needed to hear!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, he had already ripped it open when I got home, but my dad does that to all my med school mail. Usually I come home to a pile of opened rejections. SUCH A RELIEF to come home to this! As a non-trad who gave up a career to do a post-bacc and apply, I feel like I gambled the world, and somehow, incredibly, won.

lightnk102 said:
My dad calls.

Of course, he had already ripped it open when I got home, but my dad does that to all my med school mail. Usually I come home to a pile of opened rejections. SUCH A RELIEF to come home to this! As a non-trad who gave up a career to do a post-bacc and apply, I feel like I gambled the world, and somehow, incredibly, won.

aww congratulations !!! :)

Do they call or email all the applicants? 3rd I and Brane, who was your interviewer? I had a lady interviewer too, but I did not get a call or email today. Am I screwed?

BraneDoc said:
Congrats. I got a phone call from my interviewer earlier today to congratulate me on the acceptance. I received the letter on Saturday, so the news wasn't a surprise, but I felt that it was extremely nice of her to call me and express her happiness. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear.

lightnk102 said:
My dad calls.

WOW, that got me all choked up. Seriously, you go girl! CONGRATULATIONS! :D ;) :thumbup:

This thread seems to burst with excitement and it felt really good reading all your posts. Congrats on the acceptances!! I'm in too! :D

If anyone have questions about BU, let me know. My roommate is a first year at BU and a friend of mine graduated from BU Med and doing his 2nd year of residency at Boston Medical Center.

Congrats ajt2003 and everyone else! :thumbup:

SDN does have some amazing students. Out of the 33 acceptances that were supposed to be sent out, there are about 8-9 on SDN. Good Job Everyone !!

newbiedoc said:
Do they call or email all the applicants? 3rd I and Brane, who was your interviewer? I had a lady interviewer too, but I did not get a call or email today. Am I screwed?

I don't know if eveyone gets some kind of notification from their interviewers. I was interviewed by Dr. Susan Leeman. I felt like my interview went extremely well and it seemed like she and I really connected. She basically called to congratulate me and to ask me to stop by and say hi if I decide to go to BU. I doubt that you're screwed because you didn't hear anything today. Also, don't forget that most of the class does not get accepted until the second mailing in March, so don't fret if you get deferred. Best of luck to you either way.

You guys are terrific!

Bu is a great school, and a pretty one too (judging from their virtual tour). I have an interview there soon. Reading this thread gave me some hope, thanks so much everyone.

Qemmalee said:
You guys are terrific!

Bu is a great school, and a pretty one too (judging from their virtual tour). I have an interview there soon. Reading this thread gave me some hope, thanks so much everyone.

I have a BU interview coming up too--this thread was awesome! :thumbup:

Fingers crossed for the West coast people!! :luck:

yolanda i just got my acceptance letter last nite! wtf!

acidhouse303 said:
yolanda i just got my acceptance letter last nite! wtf!
w00t, w00t! acidhouze!! :clap:

:hardy:
Congratulations, doc! ;)

newbiedoc said:
My interviewer was Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell, Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine at Boston Medical Center. We got along smashingly, and the interview felt more like a conversation than anything else. If I decide to go to BU I very much look forward to my clerkship in her department. She wrote me a personal e-mail to congratulate me yesterday, and the thick/phat envelope was waiting for me when I got home from work. I wouldn't think that you're screwed because even if you're not accepted now, the bulk of the class will be accepted in a few months. Stick to your guns and hold tight!

Can I assume that the acceptance letters went out first and then the rejection and deferrment letters will be sent later on this week or next?

daveyd1978 said:
Can I assume that the acceptance letters went out first and then the rejection and deferrment letters will be sent later on this week or next?

This is my best guess... has anyone gotten deferred/rejected?

cece said:
This is my best guess... has anyone gotten deferred/rejected?

They said all the letters will be mailed out at the same time.