Buy-in opportunity - what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaseous_clay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to get some other perspectives on this situation. I currently live in a very desirable metropolitan area and make $500k per year. I am a salaried employee with no options for partnership at this time. My contract does say that after next year, I have the option to buy shares in the surgery center that my practice owns. The surgery center has a lot of overhead, and I'm not sure how profitable it is at the moment. We average around 280-300 cases per month, all in network payors, approximately 50% Medicare. My income is not based on production, and I have a really good lifestyle here in terms of hours worked. The max I could make here is $550K, but I can be let go or leave for any reason as long as 60-day notice is provided by either party.

My friend just opened up a practice with a surgery center earlier this year in another state. His metro area would not be considered as "desirable" by most people compared to where I currently practice, but it is a much larger city and in the top ten in terms of MSA population in the U.S. His payor mix is a little better than mine in terms of Medicare, but his other payors are more diversified than my current practice (i.e. more work comp, personal injury, etc.) Also, his ASC is out of network, so his returns on some procedures are much higher. He is 6 months into his practice, and has made $592K net profit (combined with clinic + ASC). He wants me to come on board as a 40% equity partner in the surgery center and clinic at cost, which would be around $120K, so he can put up two more offices in the surrounding cities to drive volume into the ASC. I will be a 50% partner on all future investments including any new ASCs that might be built and other ancillary income streams. Before you ask, the total cost to build a surgery center and clinic is around $300K, and no, I am not making this up.

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

ask my wife, and call moving vans.

how nice is the metropolitan area that you are curently at? maybe i should get my resume ready. $500k, with or without benefits? :D:D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like some good problems to have. I am of no use to you on this one, as I have no problems or dilemmas this good. I have no way to advise. When in doubt, choose, "C."

the devil you know vs. the devil you don't.

if you like your current job, and you feel reasonably sure that you will not get fired, id have trouble making the leap you are talking about. the ceiling is lower at your current job, but it is still pretty high from a comparative standpoint.

also, while you may feel like you'd have more job security with your own business, this may or may not be the case. unlikely, but you could certainly fail, or get sued, or the rules could change.

if you do go ahead and make the move, make sure you vet all of the numbers you are hearing as well as the payor mixes and patient populations.

the devil you know vs. the devil you don't.

if you like your current job, and you feel reasonably sure that you will not get fired, id have trouble making the leap you are talking about. the ceiling is lower at your current job, but it is still pretty high from a comparative standpoint.

also, while you may feel like you'd have more job security with your own business, this may or may not be the case. unlikely, but you could certainly fail, or get sued, or the rules could change.

if you do go ahead and make the move, make sure you vet all of the numbers you are hearing as well as the payor mixes and patient populations.

The owner of my current practice is very mercurial and has gone through numerous physician employees within the last twelve years. Our current longest tenured physician has only been here 2 years. Of course, I am vetting all of the numbers, mixes, and populations as we speak with my attorney. I realize any new business venture carries inherent risk, but history shows my days at the current job are numbered.

Hey gaseous clay,

So what did you decide? Did you take the new position or stay?