c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope, Purdue isn't done yet. I have one with Purdue this Friday! But this past weekend was the last for OOS Iowa interviews. I was there too. As grateful as I am, all this traveling is exhausting...and expensive!
Beatles, I meant for me personally :)

Good luck next week!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Anthem Blue Cross covers the rabies pre-exposure series? I've been calling all day and they're so flooded with Obamacare stuff that I haven't been able to reach anyone. Their email is not available either. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Anthem Blue Cross covers the rabies pre-exposure series? I've been calling all day and they're so flooded with Obamacare stuff that I haven't been able to reach anyone. Their email is not available either. :(

I was kind of thinking about the same thing! I would like to know if insurances normally cover that or if we have to pay out of pocket.

When I had BCBS six years ago they covered it. It probably depends on what plan you have though.

Reactions: 1 user
I was kind of thinking about the same thing! I would like to know if insurances normally cover that or if we have to pay out of pocket.

I had an HMO through Aetna when I applied to vet school and they wouldn't cover mine. I have an Aetna plan through Penn now and it covered my vaccines, so it definitely can be plan dependent within the same company.

WOOHOO. After waiting on the phone for 59 minutes, I finally got hold of a rep. It's covered! I have an HMO and only need to pay $15. :banana:

Reactions: 2 users
I have BCBS HMO and rabies series are covered! :banana:

And after spending $30 to send another fall transcript to VMCAS, they told me today that since it had been handed to me to mail (my school won't overnight anything) it doesn't count. But they said they did receive the one that I had sent back from Jan. 7th, so that's good. Even though when I called to check the status yesterday they said they never received it. :mad: So yay they received it, boo for wasting $30. Ugh.

And after spending $30 to send another fall transcript to VMCAS, they told me today that since it had been handed to me to mail (my school won't overnight anything) it doesn't count. But they said they did receive the one that I had sent back from Jan. 7th, so that's good. Even though when I called to check the status yesterday they said they never received it. :mad: So yay they received it, boo for wasting $30. Ugh.

I'm glad they got there! Transcript issues are no fun.

I had a similar situation when I was sending the first round of transcripts. My previous college wouldn't overnight anything, so I was going to have FedEx do a pick-up at the school and then overnight it, so that I never touched the transcript. I know your transcripts already got there, I just wanted to share an idea in case any other applicants have transcript problems. I'm pretty sure VMCAS said that was fine (just expensive), but of course it's best to check first. My transcripts finally showed up at VMCAS just in time for me to cancel the FedEx pick-up, so yay I didn't have to pay a bunch for overnighting!

I'm so glad my transcripts finally arrived and are now on my VMCAS portal. One less thing to be constantly checking... now on to neurotically obsessing over all of the portals/status/emails... Yay?

Reactions: 3 users

I had a similar situation when I was sending the first round of transcripts. My previous college wouldn't overnight anything, so I was going to have FedEx do a pick-up at the school and then overnight it, so that I never touched the transcript. I know your transcripts already got there, I just wanted to share an idea in case any other applicants have transcript problems. I'm pretty sure VMCAS said that was fine (just expensive), but of course it's best to check first. My transcripts finally showed up at VMCAS just in time for me to cancel the FedEx pick-up, so yay I didn't have to pay a bunch for overnighting!

Wouldn't the school still see the outgoing address and realize it wasn't from a Registrar office? Or would you have had the office stamp as if it was from them and then do the FedEx pick up? I almost had a similar issue back when I applied (with international transcripts...even though grades were on my home institution transcript) but they wouldn't accept them even though they were official ones from me.

Last edited:

I hadn't thought of that! Good to know (& share in case anyone else runs into a problem! )

Members don't see this ad :)
My stomach constantly feels like it's in knots. I don't know if it's from the stress of waiting to hear back from my schools, or if something is actually wrong with me. The wait is TORTURE though!!

Reactions: 1 users
My stomach constantly feels like it's in knots. I don't know if it's from the stress of waiting to hear back from my schools, or if something is actually wrong with me. The wait is TORTURE though!!

This. This so hard. I also have bouts of extreme optimism followed by extreme negativity. It's exhausting. I just want to KNOW at this point, whatever the decision (though I really, really want an acceptance, haha).

Reactions: 7 users
This. This so hard. I also have bouts of extreme optimism followed by extreme negativity. It's exhausting. I just want to KNOW at this point, whatever the decision (though I really, really want an acceptance, haha).
I have been thinking about how I will cry tears of joy and then I start thinking of back up plans. :(

One minute I am looking up apartments near the campus I want to attend, the next minute I'm preparing for plan B, looking for full time jobs... then I sigh, scream, and/or cry for a minute and start the cycle all over again. Epivetlove described it perfectly: EXHAUSTING.

One minute I am looking up apartments near the campus I want to attend, the next minute I'm preparing for plan B, looking for full time jobs... then I sigh, scream, and/or cry for a minute and start the cycle all over again. Epivetlove described it perfectly: EXHAUSTING.

Lol you just described me. Can't get off craigslist.

I have been thinking about how I will cry tears of joy and then I start thinking of back up plans. :(

YES! I constantly daydream about all the reactions of my friends and family if I get to tell them the good news (they're all ready to hear me stop yammering about it I'm sure, lulz), as well as all the doctors who are rooting for me. Then that horrible mental image of a thin envelope in the mailbox pops into my head and all those happy thoughts come crashing down and I legitimately cry. Scumbag brain is a scumbag. :arghh:

they're all ready to hear me stop yammering about it I'm sure

I don't think anything has ever been more true. My poor roommates have to deal with my ridiculous mood swings and bouts of stress induced tears (on drunken nights, forget it, I'm a wreck). Come on mid-February! I need some answers!!

After being accepted, do vet schools mind if our GPAs drop a little? I know we need to finish all the prerequisites with the minimum grade (usually C or C- I think), but I'm wondering whether they expect us to maintain the same GPA that we had before being accepted, or if they're okay with us relaxing a little and not trying so hard for the best possible GPA. I'm not sure how to ask the admissions office without sounding like I'm asking permission to slack off... although I guess I am asking that. :laugh: A current vet is scaring me a little by saying that her school gave out acceptances with the condition that applicants' GPAs stay the same or they would be un-accepted.

After being accepted, do vet schools mind if our GPAs drop a little? I know we need to finish all the prerequisites with the minimum grade (usually C or C- I think), but I'm wondering whether they expect us to maintain the same GPA that we had before being accepted, or if they're okay with us relaxing a little and not trying so hard for the best possible GPA. I'm not sure how to ask the admissions office without sounding like I'm asking permission to slack off... although I guess I am asking that. :laugh: A current vet is scaring me a little by saying that her school gave out acceptances with the condition that applicants' GPAs stay the same or they would be un-accepted.

From what I've heard, it's just conditional that you pass your classes. They're not going to rescind your offer of admission because you get a C in biochem. That's just unrealistic. Relax and enjoy your last semester! That's what I'm doing :)

From what I've heard, it's just conditional that you pass your classes. They're not going to rescind your offer of admission because you get a C in biochem. That's just unrealistic. Relax and enjoy your last semester! That's what I'm doing :)

That's about right. Generally you sign a clause that says you need to get a c or c- in any remaining coursework. But it's ok to slack a little!

That's about right. Generally you sign a clause that says you need to get a c or c- in any remaining coursework. But it's ok to slack a little!
Yay, thank you! My last two terms are mostly non-prerequisites anyway, so I doubt they would care what grade I get as long as I pass and get the degree I said I would. I am definitely going to relax and take a little time to enjoy life before vet school starts. :D
fractiousfeline - Congrats, and enjoy your last months before vet school!

Yay, thank you! My last two terms are mostly non-prerequisites anyway, so I doubt they would care what grade I get as long as I pass and get the degree I said I would. I am definitely going to relax and take a little time to enjoy life before vet school starts. :D
fractiousfeline - Congrats, and enjoy your last months before vet school!

Good for you! And thanks, you too :)

Just threw caution out the window and applied to a job at the CDC as a Public Health Advisor. :eek: Maybe this will be my Plan C (PhD is Plan B, but I'm thinking I really want to get out in the world and start working to gain more experience and money).

After being accepted, do vet schools mind if our GPAs drop a little?

I don't care what classes you take or if you've gotten accepted to vet school or not. You shouldn't "slack off". Practice like you play. And, if you want to be prepared for the rigorous coursework in vet school, you need to push yourself to do your best no matter what. And, plus, I'm sure your scholarships and financial aid for vet school can be affected if you let your GPA drop. And, one more thing while I'm ranting, could you imagine saying that at any point in veterinary school or during your veterinary career after you graduate? Ahhh... I've already accomplished the feat of becoming a veterinarian, why stress myself out by properly diagnosing this patient when I can give it some antibiotics and be done? I would prescribe an attitude adjustment to any individual that thinks any of these things are okay.

I don't care what classes you take or if you've gotten accepted to vet school or not. You shouldn't "slack off". Practice like you play. And, if you want to be prepared for the rigorous coursework in vet school, you need to push yourself to do your best no matter what. And, plus, I'm sure your scholarships and financial aid for vet school can be affected if you let your GPA drop. And, one more thing while I'm ranting, could you imagine saying that at any point in veterinary school or during your veterinary career after you graduate? Ahhh... I've already accomplished the feat of becoming a veterinarian, why stress myself out by properly diagnosing this patient when I can give it some antibiotics and be done? I would prescribe an attitude adjustment to any individual that thinks any of these things are okay.

I'm not the OP but feel like putting in my 2 cents ;)
My personal perspective is this: yes, I only need C's in the remaining classes, but I'm of course aiming for higher. For one thing, I want to keep good study habits. BUT....am I going to work my butt off aiming for an A+? No. If getting a B means I can spend more time with my family before this fall, when they will be severly neglected by me, I'm ok with a B. It's about balance. Financial Aid doesn't care if I made an A+ or a B my last semester. I personally want to experience a little life, enjoy my family, and spend time with friends before I start in the fall. I feel this would actually benefit me more mentally and prepare me for this fall than ignoring everything around me to ace one last class. I think it's a far reach to compare this to treating patients.
But again, just my opinion.

I get your point, but I think feeling like you can relax is beneficial. Vet school is hard and if relaxing a little now will help you not be burnt out in a few months, I see no harm in it. And I'm sure the person who asked isn't talking about a significant drop. Obviously going from like As/high Bs and getting Cs/Ds isn't a good thing, but I don't think anyone needs to beat themselves up over not getting in an A in a specific class.

I get your point, but I think feeling like you can relax is beneficial. Vet school is hard and if relaxing a little now will help you not be burnt out in a few months, I see no harm in it. And I'm sure the person who asked isn't talking about a significant drop. Obviously going from like As/high Bs and getting Cs/Ds isn't a good thing, but I don't think anyone needs to beat themselves up over not getting in an A in a specific class.

This is honestly all I meant when I said to "relax" and enjoy your last semester. I'm obviously still trying to do well in all my classes, but I'm also not going to spend every night in the library like I have for the past 3 1/2 years of undergrad. A 4.0 is great, but so is spending more time with friends, seeing as how we're all about to graduate and part ways in a few months. Balance is important, and that's something we're all going to have to remember when we get to vet school, especially if we want to stay sane. Comparing this mentality to deciding not to properly diagnose a pet is an extreme stretch if you ask me.

Life is short, so enjoy every minute.

I definitely say try to enjoy your last semester of undergrad ;) No amount of studying is going to prepare you for vet school in the fall. So enjoy your time while you can with your family/friends!

I was going to say, big difference between "relaxing a little" and "slacking off." Now, I'm definitely not putting in the same number of hours of studying per class as the last decade of my life. Instead, I can pay attention, do my studying and homework efficiently and well, and then check out until the next day with zero guilt and not feeling like the extra 5-10 hours of extra studying a week I *could* put in is really worth the difference between a B+ and an A (Law of diminishing returns!) I already have my degree. I have my priorities straight and am smart enough to figure out the optimal use of my time.

Heck, I'm planning a wedding, adventuring in the mountains and starting a part-time business with those hours! That ain't slacking :)

I was absolutely appalled at the comparison with improperly diagnosing a patient. I don't even know what to say...

I see everyone's point, but I just have an all or nothing personality and I'm all in when it comes to veterinary medicine. My example may have seemed extreme, but where I'm from, I know too many vets who will ignore your emergencies because it is not convenient for them. Those types of people had to come from somewhere and I will do anything in my power to avoid that path. I want to be the best veterinarian possible, so I will work as hard as I can to do that whether or not I'm in school. My beliefs and ideals may not be the healthiest, but that's just who I am I suppose. On top of that, I enjoyed undergrad and am academically inclined; though college was difficult in the last 2 years, the challenge of it sustained me mentally. So, different strokes... we all have our priorities.

I see everyone's point, but I just have an all or nothing personality and I'm all in when it comes to veterinary medicine. My example may have seemed extreme, but where I'm from, I know too many vets who will ignore your emergencies because it is not convenient for them. Those types of people had to come from somewhere and I will do anything in my power to avoid that path. I want to be the best veterinarian possible, so I will work as hard as I can to do that whether or not I'm in school. My beliefs and ideals may not be the healthiest, but that's just who I am I suppose. On top of that, I enjoyed undergrad and am academically inclined; though college was difficult in the last 2 years, the challenge of it sustained me mentally. So, different strokes... we all have our priorities.
dont get burnt out...

dont get burnt out...

100% agree. It is soooo easy to get burnt out. I wish I would have relaxed a little more before coming to vet school because once it starts, there is no stopping or slowing down. Busting your butt the last semester of undergrad classes before vet school will Not give you some sort of " leg up" when entering Vet school in the Fall!

dont get burnt out...

Yeah I did that. Don't recommend it. That for SURE won't make you a better veterinarian!

Lacysmom,

I see where you're coming from, and I fully respect and appreciate your drive. Some people can just keep going on like machines, but most people need breaks and other things to recharge them so that when they are actually working they can be 100% their best. There's a lot of people who, if they were pushing themselves at 110% ALL the time, instead of taking a breather now and again, would see their work suffer, which in turn leads to misjudgments and poor care. I'm all for quality over quantity. Learned that the hard way- but thankfully before actual lives were involved... just math and molecules and my sanity.

I agree with the others, don't get yourself burnt out. There is a difference between "slacking off" and "relaxing". Example: My last semester of undergrad I took 13 credits not a single of which was a pre-requisite for vet school. I spent maybe a maximum of 10 hours a week studying (compared to the large numbers I was studying junior year while taking 18+ credits). I ended up with rather close to the same grades I was getting prior to "relaxing". You can take a bit of a break or breather without it impacting your grades significantly.

Also, in vet school, I could spend 10 hours/day studying or I could spend a few hours studying when I get home and relax some after that. I have chosen to go for balance. Study and relax. First year, I tried very hard to learn everything and study as much as possible... I ended up with all C's and having to retake a course. I burnt myself out because I tried to hit the ground running. This year, I have taken the study some and relax mode... I have passed every course and with improved grades. Balance in life is needed. No one is saying that if you relax a little while studying you are going to slack off on patients as a vet. That is a ridiculous comparison. Vet school/undergrad are not equal to being a veterinarian.

Ouch. I hope you don't think that I meant I'm planning to slack off. I was concerned that the schools might expect me to get a 4.0 the last two terms, because that's what the vet I talked to had told me. I'm taking 18+ credits, mostly science, along with working and volunteering a lot. Rather than try so hard for that 4.0, I'm planning to get a good-but-not-perfect GPA, have the time to raise my Guide Dog puppy well so he has the best chance of becoming someone's guide, take advantage of some awesome volunteer/shadow/extra working opportunities at the vet clinic so that I'm extra-motivated once vet school starts, and spend some time with close friends before we all leave after graduation. Knowing that I won't get un-accepted for a small GPA drop only means that I won't have to be so stressed if I happen to be terrible at identifying genres of Renaissance instrumental music (why does it all sound the same to me?!:rofl:). In my science electives, I can be more concerned with learning the concepts and understanding the material, and less concerned with the letter on my transcript. I'm not talking about a huge drop in GPA, I'm talking about allowing myself to get some B's without worrying about an un-acceptance.

Also, my choice to relax about grades has nothing to do with how much I will care about my patients as a vet. There is no way that I would give a patient less than my best to avoid extra work. I do plan to have a balanced life outside of work. If I burn out right away, I won't be helping anyone.

*Sigh... I understand about being burnt out and needing a balanced life to be a successful human being. I did graduate college as it turns out. My point is only that our weaknesses will remain weaknesses throughout our careers and lives if we allow ourselves too much room for error. And that gap of error, if we allow it, will grow over time as we continually make tiny excuses for ourselves that eventually burgeon into large lapses in judgment that may be potentially harmful to the people/animals around us. I'm not saying that every veterinary student will let that happen. It would be a very depressing world if I thought that of all people who just needed a break. And I'm fully aware that people do need breaks some times.

*Sigh... I understand about being burnt out and needing a balanced life to be a successful human being. I did graduate college as it turns out. My point is only that our weaknesses will remain weaknesses throughout our careers and lives if we allow ourselves too much room for error. And that gap of error, if we allow it, will grow over time as we continually make tiny excuses for ourselves that eventually burgeon into large lapses in judgment that may be potentially harmful to the people/animals around us. I'm not saying that every veterinary student will let that happen. It would be a very depressing world if I thought that of all people who just needed a break. And I'm fully aware that people do need breaks some times.
but vet school and undergrad are VERY different

So I've heard. Agree to disagree you guys... these were my thoughts and we have all been exposed to different environments/people that may have made some of us (me) more cynical than others. I will probably be singing a different tune when I actually go to vet school, but until then, this is how I feel.

"Relaxing" is not a weakness..... That is where you aren't making sense. To relax a bit and not stress yourself out is not a weakness. To call it as such is silly.

"Slacking off" does not equal "relaxing". Someone who truly "slacks off" will not make it through vet school. Someone who takes time to balance things will survive. And I know many vet students that came into school going... "I am going to study VERY hard and ALL the time and I am going to get good grades" who are now just saying, "I am going to study enough that I understand the material and pass the exam, but I am not going to beat myself up to attempt to get an A." They aren't making excuses and they aren't going to be vets who simply toss an antibiotic at a patient instead of diagnosing the patient.

So I've heard. Agree to disagree you guys... these were my thoughts and we have all been exposed to different environments/people that may have made some of us (me) more cynical than others. I will probably be singing a different tune when I actually go to vet school, but until then, this is how I feel.
I'm just trying to give the perspective of a current vet. I definitely wish I had slacked off a little that semester.:shrug:

It is ok to feel that is what you need to do for yourself. But when you push your ideals and cynicism onto others and suggest that they are not as good as you because they are taking a different approach, then that is where you run into trouble. If you want to cram down, study hard and put your nose to the pavement, then go for it, good for you. But it is when you judge others who are not doing that, when you get the backlash and people disagreeing.

I'm just trying to give the perspective of a current vet. I definitely wish I had slacked off a little that semester.:shrug:

Your response was encouraging :) NO GUILT! This semester is about improving my non-academic self in fun ways! Thanks dyachei for the reassurance that it's a good idea lol

Now I'm going to take my happy self over to play with my cat. Cheerio!

Your response was encouraging :) NO GUILT! This semester is about improving my non-academic self in fun ways! Thanks dyachei for the reassurance that it's a good idea lol

Now I'm going to take my happy self over to play with my cat. Cheerio!
glad to hear it!

The fall semester of my senior year I took 12 credits, and 2 of those were Pass/Fail (Wines class). No regrets :p

It is ok to feel that is what you need to do for yourself. But when you push your ideals and cynicism onto others and suggest that they are not as good as you because they are taking a different approach, then that is where you run into trouble. If you want to cram down, study hard and put your nose to the pavement, then go for it, good for you. But it is when you judge others who are not doing that, when you get the backlash and people disagreeing.

Well, the only thing I can say to that is you're right. I feel strongly about this, but I definitely should have chosen my words better in my original post. I guess I was the one who needed the attitude adjustment after all... live and learn, though. I know I sounded harsh, but I really wish you all the best in getting into school and being successful vet students and vets.