c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok I feel like I'm going crazy, but I can't find Tufts anywhere on the "College Designations" list (the one where you check off which schools you're applying to).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: VMCAS says to list each experience only once, but if I have worked under two different veterinarians at the same clinic (shelter) at two different times can I list the clinic twice using their names for each time? The first doctor left to start her own practice so I'm working with a different doctor now. Different experiences?

...'Cause each experience has you list a veterinarian/scientist...

Question: VMCAS says to list each experience only once, but if I have worked under two different veterinarians at the same clinic (shelter) at two different times can I list the clinic twice using their names for each time? The first doctor left to start her own practice so I'm working with a different doctor now. Different experiences?

I have this EXACT same question......

I listed multiple Doctors under the same practice. One saw wildlife/exotics and the other saw only small animals. I just explained that in the description.

So, even though they both see/saw the same type of animal I can list them separately and then explain? That sounds like a plan :thumbup:

Hello, long time lurker and coming out of the shadows. I have 2 questions:

I have my AS in veterinary technology (I'm an LVT), does anyone know if I list those classes as well as my brick-and-mortar school classes? Obviously I'm not using any of my tech classes to satisfy prerequisites.

12 years ago I failed a class as a college freshman. I used course forgiveness (I'm not sure if that's offered at every school) so I was able to repeat the course then the failed course still showed on my transcript but wasn't factored into my GPA. Is it factored into GPA on VMCAS?

Appreciate the help! Good luck everyone :luck:

I have my AS in veterinary technology (I'm an LVT), does anyone know if I list those classes as well as my brick-and-mortar school classes? Obviously I'm not using any of my tech classes to satisfy prerequisites.

12 years ago I failed a class as a college freshman. I used course forgiveness (I'm not sure if that's offered at every school) so I was able to repeat the course then the failed course still showed on my transcript but wasn't factored into my GPA. Is it factored into GPA on VMCAS?

If the classes show up on your transcripts you have to list it on the VMCAS. Everything has to match up or they'll send it back to you. If the failed and passed classes are both on your transcripts then I think when you put it through the coursework section has something where you can say that you repeated it. I'm not sure if you have to list both though.

1. Yes you list those classes. You are supposed to list every single class from every single university/college/CC/ technical school you have attended

2. You list the GPA that is listed on your transcript, however the individual schools will look at your transcripts/ courses and will determine your GPA based on their own rules/ standards.. Some schools average repeated courses, some take the highest grade, some do most recent attempt... It just depends on the school. There are a couple schools ( Mizzou for sure) that have a course forgiveness type clause.. I think theirs is 6 years... Definitely something to look into.

Thank you both for the help :) One F doesn't touch my GPA so I'll include it in the cumulative GPA calculation.

Speaking of GPA's... I listed my "primary school" as the school at which I earned my BA, but my GPA from my pre-req school is higher. Am I understanding the directions correctly? My BA school is my primary and is the school whose GPA I report, correct?

I just put the practice owner/head veterinarian as the vet listed for the experience and then put at the end of my description, "Also worked with Dr. X, Dr. Y, and Dr. Z." (Did this for three different places.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just put the practice owner/head veterinarian as the vet listed for the experience and then put at the end of my description, "Also worked with Dr. X, Dr. Y, and Dr. Z." (Did this for three different places.)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I did the same thing.

I'm looking at the experiences section on the app and am wondering what to put in the research section for "Title of Research"? is that like my position working there or what we were working on?

Bah, I am not sure where to classify a couple of my work experiences. I emailed VMCAS, but I am sure they are super busy at the moment...

I worked at a CRO where we did contract work for pharmaceutical companies on particular drug compounds. This included animal studies, which required me to do dosing (IV, SQ, OP and dermal),observations, anesthesia, and organ harvesting. It was under a PhD, last time i put it under Vet experience. But I am not sure how VMCAS classifies it, I don't think it is research since it was not one particular project. :shrug:

Additionally, I worked at the State Public Health Lab doing Rabies testing on Animal samples receive state wide. I did not work directly under the Public Health vet, we reported the positive results to them. We did have contact with them on a regular basis (I would say at least three times a week). I talked to NCSU at one of the admissions info things and they said they would classify it as Vet Experience... Hmmm...

Bah, I am not sure where to classify a couple of my work experiences. I emailed VMCAS, but I am sure they are super busy at the moment...

I worked at a CRO where we did contract work for pharmaceutical companies on particular drug compounds. This included animal studies, which required me to do dosing (IV, SQ, OP and dermal),observations, anesthesia, and organ harvesting. It was under a PhD, last time i put it under Vet experience. But I am not sure how VMCAS classifies it, I don't think it is research since it was not one particular project. :shrug:

Additionally, I worked at the State Public Health Lab doing Rabies testing on Animal samples receive state wide. I did not work directly under the Public Health vet, we reported the positive results to them. We did have contact with them on a regular basis (I would say at least three times a week). I talked to NCSU at one of the admissions info things and they said they would classify it as Vet Experience... Hmmm...

Not sure about your second question, but as for your first I would put it under research. I worked in a lab, first with just animal care, then with a more supervisory role. Even though there were any number or projects going on at one time, I put the whole thing as research.

But I am not sure how VMCAS classifies it, I don't think it is research since it was not one particular project. :shrug:

I'm in a similar situation... I'm thinking since the research section says to enter "published" research and asks for a title, I'll leave that for papers (and maybe posters??) and stick my other animal research in veterinary experience. I work in a core facility for a research institute, so rather than sticking to just one project at all times I'm helping ten other people with parts of their testing; I wouldn't have any idea what to title it under the research section.

But...who knows. I emailed VMCAS about it yesterday, maybe they'll respond?

Finished entering all my coursework. Whew.

I did email VMCAS about this but I figured I'll ask here anyway...

I did undergraduate teaching and undergraduate research for course credits. Which category should I attribute them to? My undergrad research was in a genetics lab and I was a TA for Equine Biology and Biochemistry. I put them all under the "Other Life Sciences" category for now (until VMCAS responds).

For last year's application I put them under their respective subjects (e.g. Biochem TA --> Biochemistry; Equine TA --> Animal Sciences; Genetics research --> Genetics ) but this year I'm not so sure. :confused:

I would click on the very informative category guide that VMCAS has provided. As for the undergraduate research that I conducted for credit, I listed it under its respective discipline (Animal Science). The teaching is tricky- I'd click on that pdf and check to see if that may be listed anywhere. There's a whole bunch of things listed on that sheet that never would have came to my mind. VMCAS has it pretty together this year. I haven't had any glitches with the form thus far (fingers crossed), and found that my previous schools were very easy to work with in regards to the VMCAS transcript request form. Overall, I'm impressed.

Speaking of GPA's... I listed my "primary school" as the school at which I earned my BA, but my GPA from my pre-req school is higher. Am I understanding the directions correctly? My BA school is my primary and is the school whose GPA I report, correct?

I have the same thing! I put my BS degree as my primary because it does say the most credits and then my prereq school is the other school not primary. Hope this helps :)

Ok I feel like I'm going crazy, but I can't find Tufts anywhere on the "College Designations" list (the one where you check off which schools you're applying to).
If you look under the Academic History section there's a tab called Other/Previous Applications..you can go there and Tufts will be listed when you click on the "drop down thingy" :) ...Even though Tufts has a different app, I believe VMCAS still wants you to list it on the application.

For AP courses, do we still include them even if we did not use them for college credits or if we didn't take the AP exam for that course?

If you look under the Academic History section there's a tab called Other/Previous Applications..you can go there and Tufts will be listed when you click on the "drop down thingy" :) ...Even though Tufts has a different app, I believe VMCAS still wants you to list it on the application.

For AP courses, do we still include them even if we did not use them for college credits or if we didn't take the AP exam for that course?

If you didn't take the AP exam and didn't get college credit for the course, then no, don't list the class. You don't get college credit for taking an AP class, you get credit for taking and passing the AP exam. No exam = no college credit.

I would click on the very informative category guide that VMCAS has provided. As for the undergraduate research that I conducted for credit, I listed it under its respective discipline (Animal Science). The teaching is tricky- I'd click on that pdf and check to see if that may be listed anywhere. There's a whole bunch of things listed on that sheet that never would have came to my mind. VMCAS has it pretty together this year. I haven't had any glitches with the form thus far (fingers crossed), and found that my previous schools were very easy to work with in regards to the VMCAS transcript request form. Overall, I'm impressed.

I had already looked through that PDF and couldn't find anything with research or undergraduate teaching...BUT I did just look again (more thoroughly this time) and saw that "Research in Chemistry" was listed under Inorganic Chemistry. Guess this means I can put my courses under their respective subjects.

VMCAS posted on FB that they have had 1 person completely submit their application already... Craziness!!

I hope for their sake that they don't have eLOR issues, bc if so, they are screwed! And that person is missing the opportunity to add any hours gained over the summer..

Seriously y'all, take your time!!

VMCAS posted on FB that they have had 1 person completely submit their application already... Craziness!!

I hope for their sake that they don't have eLOR issues, bc if so, they are screwed! And that person is missing the opportunity to add any hours gained over the summer..

Yeah, I saw that and was like "WTF?" Maybe they rushed 'cause they'll be out of the country and away from all technology this summer? That's the only reason I can think of :confused:

Wow, I mean I plan on finishing up everything before July but have no intentions of hitting that send button until closer to September so I can count more hours with all my volunteer stuff. Maybe that person is a first time applicant and really didn't understand? I know the first time I did it I was really confused by the process and went back and redid things a bajillion times. Or like PP said, they won't have internet access until after the deadline. Sucks for the supplemental applications though.

Did he or she sit down and do the entire app in one sitting? That IS craziness. Man, I can only stomach VMCAS for so many hours at a time. I feel like if I tried to do the whole thing at once I would make some critical errors. It certainly wouldn't be the best job I could produce with more time on my hands (if I was forced to complete the document in 24 hours). I'm wondering how this individual managed to get all of their transcripts submitted to VMCAS in 1-2 days. All transcripts need to be submitted to VMCAS (along with the official VMCAS transcript request form, which you can't even access until you enter your institutional data), in order to submit. This really blows my mind. Insane.

As for the eLORs, this person required at least one submitted to VMCAS in order to submit. He or she must have some really on the ball evaluators. I've entered several of mine into the system, but give your evaluators a break- they're got at until September 1st! (actually, October 2nd if you want to get technical).

Has anyone seen anything more about Midwestern? They have apparently been added to the VMCAS system. They have a Letter of Reasonable Assurance, have provisional accreditation in 2014, and then should have full accreditation by 2018.

I am not quite sure about the "simulation lab exercises with virtual clients and patients."

They really do not have much information on their website and refer to the college information pages by AAVMC.

Has anyone seen anything more about Midwestern? They have apparently been added to the VMCAS system. They have a Letter of Reasonable Assurance, have provisional accreditation in 2014, and then should have full accreditation by 2018.

I am not quite sure about the "simulation lab exercises with virtual clients and patients."

They really do not have much information on their website and refer to the college information pages by AAVMC.

I thought I read that they will be accepting applications next cycle.. I don't believe they are an option for the class of 2018.. But I may be wrong.. IDN, if I had to apply again I would not be applying to a school for it's first class ever.. being the guinea pig class for a DVM is not something I wanna take a chance on. Just my 0.02

Anyone else think that the # of applicants may be down this cycle? I was just speaking with one of my professors and we know of at least 3 students from my school that have decided not to apply to vet school after the Times article, etc.

When entering vet/animal/etc experiences, it says to do it in order with the most recent first. Does this mean for start date? Because I have some experiences I started earlier so they would be after for that method, but I am still doing them, so technically they are more current....:confused:

If I remember correctly, I sorted by end date and then by start date within end date. I feel like if you're still doing it, it is more recent in that you did it more recently.

So I have entered all but my coursework and experience sections on the VMCAS. Nope....not overly excited.....

just have old copies that I can go straight off of....

print your app when you are completely done! Time Saver!

What are you guys putting for hours for animals you have owned your whole life?

So I have entered all but my coursework and experience sections on the VMCAS. Nope....not overly excited.....

just have old copies that I can go straight off of....

print your app when you are completely done! Time Saver!

Yeah. I screen-shotted and printed last year's app "just in case". Saved me a ton of time when I was re-entering coursework and experiences the other day.

What are you guys putting for hours for animals you have owned your whole life?
As far as I know, they don't want you to include your own pets unless you did something special with them like a dog show or agility or something like that. Unless they changed the rules, that's what I understand to be the rules on pets.

So for my own question, I'm a little confused. When you have a huge list of stuff for the experience etc. section, are the most recent things supposed to be at the top of the list or the bottom? Like when it has the different sections listed and then a list of all the stuff you put in, is the most recent supposed to be near the category title or at the bottom? I have all my most recent near the title right now. Luckily i'm not in too far so I can switch it if I need to.

So for my own question, I'm a little confused. When you have a huge list of stuff for the experience etc. section, are the most recent things supposed to be at the top of the list or the bottom? Like when it has the different sections listed and then a list of all the stuff you put in, is the most recent supposed to be near the category title or at the bottom? I have all my most recent near the title right now. Luckily i'm not in too far so I can switch it if I need to.

Looking at my previous application which I printed, I have the most recent stuff near the top. I'm not sure how it is this year (I haven't filled out the Experience section yet), but last year I'm pretty sure the website automatically ordered them for you chronologically.

I went back into "Community" to add something that I had forgotten about and VMCAS automatically listed it chronologically. My most recent remain on top...

I went back into "Community" to add something that I had forgotten about and VMCAS automatically listed it chronologically. My most recent remain on top...

I thought I remembered this from my app. Pretty sure VMCAS automatically puts them in "most recent first" order based on the start and end dates you enter, so no need to manually do it.

EDIT: I also did not put down any personal pets, and I believe VMCAS states that they do not want you to include those hours unless you did something more involved with them like cloverbug said. The only owned animals I put down were my livestock since I show them.

Looking at my previous application which I printed, I have the most recent stuff near the top. I'm not sure how it is this year (I haven't filled out the Experience section yet), but last year I'm pretty sure the website automatically ordered them for you chronologically.
Oh, haha silly me then. Thanks or the info though.

Yeah I noticed that they do order them for you, so my question is moot. But I wonder why they include the order you need to enter it in the directions if the system does it?

ETA: I've heard not to include pets unless it's more involved or if the school requests it (I think Minnesota asks you to?)

As far as I know, they don't want you to include your own pets unless you did something special with them like a dog show or agility or something like that. Unless they changed the rules, that's what I understand to be the rules on pets.

Cloverbug is correct. I did not include my own animals (dogs, cats, mice, guinea pigs) but I did include the time I spent riding and showing horses, whether I owned them or not. It contributed something like 40 hours a week (UF calculated the average and then told me that was hard to believe :rolleyes:).

(UF calculated the average and then told me that was hard to believe :rolleyes:).

That kind of is hard to believe...that's the equivalent of a full time job. Just saying ;)

I don't know if this is obvious to anyone else, but if I am entering my senior year of undergrad this fall, and I plan to turn in the app this summer between junior and senior year, does that make me a junior or a senior?