California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd certainly describe myself as weary ;)
Shut up you are a cat.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If U.S. trained faculty avoids this place like the plague, residency directors probably will aim to as well.

Finally, I think it's also important to recognize that a lot of the success of this school, like many new schools, will be dependent on the students. How motivated are the students to do exceptionally well? The resources will be available, even if they are the minimum required by LCME, but it ultimately comes down to the students to initiate student run programs, and the other things @OutInSacramento spoke of in his/her post. (note- this is just my opinion that students can make a difference in these ways).
If I were the Director of CNU, I'd try to attract students with the best MCAT scores together with above average sGPA. CNU should offer multiple and sizeable academic merit scholarships. You're right to observe that CNU's resources in the beginning will be the minimum required by LCME. So very intelligent, self-teaching, self-motivated students are essential. CNU's success or failure will be judged on the basis of how well their students perform on board exams. Potential faculty hires will consider the student composition in addition to salary, tenure, location, career advancement perks. Residency directors will focus on CNU students' Step exam performance primarily. Student run clinics are a nice feel good feature that plays well with the LCME but for everyone else it will be how well CNU students perform on board exams.

This is not saying much, opening a medial school is one the best investments you can possibly make. California churns out the most pre-meds of any state, so filling classes is pretty much a foregone conclusion. The idea that they are going to fill the area with new primary care physicians is the joke.
I agree, somewhat, although I wouldn't say its a joke. It'll be interesting to see if they can actually recruit students who won't lie through their teeth and say they will practice in the area when they actually won't (not even considering the 300K in debt part). Although I think you can probably gauge from someone's clinical experiences and throughout the interview if someone has a genuine interest in becoming a PCP and working in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were the Director of CNU, I'd try to attract students with the best MCAT scores together with above average sGPA. CNU should offer multiple and sizeable academic merit scholarships. You're right to observe that CNU's resources in the beginning will be the minimum required by LCME. So very intelligent, self-teaching, self-motivated students are essential. CNU's success or failure will be judged on the basis of how well their students perform on board exams. Potential faculty hires will consider the student composition in addition to salary, tenure, location, career advancement perks. Residency directors will focus on CNU students' Step exam performance primarily. Student run clinics are a nice feel good feature that plays well with the LCME but for everyone else it will be how well CNU students perform on board exams.
I think what you described is the model Hofstra Univ employed and they've actually become a pretty good school within only what like 4-5 years.

This is not saying much, opening a medial school is one the best investments you can possibly make. California churns out the most pre-meds of any state, so filling classes is pretty much a foregone conclusion. The idea that they are going to fill the area with new primary care physicians is the joke.

If I had a few millions laying around, I would invest in a hospital and give it a non-for-profit status. Sorry, I fail to see how opening a medical school is one of the best investments to make: if it was, we would be flooding with for-profit medical schools. It is a known fact that MD schools rely very little on the tuition they charge from students and are actually a financial burden to their parent university (just google budget breakdown of a few schools). A better way to make profit would be to open a secondary school charging the same ridiculous tuition with the ability to recruit hundreds of students and very little loops to jump through.

Reactions: 3 users
The idea that they are going to fill the area with new primary care physicians is the joke
Yes, I tend to agree with you. It's surprisingly ( to me) very expensive to run a RT program. Even state supported schools have a difficult time churning out significant numbers of RT graduates. And with med school education being so expensive and RT primary care physicians not only having limited salary incentives ( but for loan forgiveness that takes many years) along with the professional isolation that's associated with RT practice, it's doubtful if many CNU's graduates are going to ultimately practice in rural under served areas.

If I had a few millions laying around, I would invest in a hospital and give it a non-for-profit status. Sorry, I fail to see how opening a medical school is one of the best investments to make: if it was, we would be flooding with for-profit medical schools. It is a known fact that MD schools rely very little on the tuition they charge from students and are actually a financial burden to their parent university (just google budget breakdown of a few schools). A better way to make profit would be to open a secondary school charging the same ridiculous tuition with the ability to recruit hundreds of students and very little loops to jump through.

CNU has no "parent" facility. It consist of a pharmacy school and now a medical school.

I agree with you but let's be real... No applicant with an amazing MCAT score will settle for new school like this, given its risks.

I agree with you but let's be real... No applicant with an amazing MCAT score will settle for new school like this, given its risks.
If they offered renewable academic merit scholarships that cover 50%+ of tuition irrespective of parents' incomes, CNU would be beating off California applicants with 35+ MCAT scores in droves. Lots of very talented very intelligent California applicants are being forced to attend OOS expensive private or state schools. And if CNU billed itself as a med school that wanted the best and the brightest - with a policy that clearly stated they did not use holistic principles to seek out the best and the brightest students - CNU would be flooded by top tier applicants from all 50 states.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If they're offered renewable academic merit scholarships that cover 50%+ of tuition irrespective of parents' incomes, CNU would be beating off California applicants with 35+ MCAT scores in droves. This is a California based school after all. Lots of very talented very intelligent applicants being forced to attend OOS expensive private or state schools.[/QUOTE

Perhaps they will in the coming years?

I have a 35 (and a 3.8) and I'm considering going here.

And you didn't get accepted by an MD school this past cycle? Wow! I am so sorry.
Yeah, I'm sitting on three allopathic waitlists (all in CA). C'est la vie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm sitting on three allopathic waitlists (all in CA). C'est la vie.

There's still some time left. Keep the Faith! And no doubt you have re-applied for the new cycle to hedge your bets. You are a poster child for everything that's wrong with the current politicized, subjective, opaque selection process. As far as I can tell many UG state med schools aren't even abiding with their responsibilities to the actual taxpayers that support their existence. Texas, Utah, Oregon, Washington are ones that do but I don't believe ones located in NY or CA do. Wishing you luck with the wait lists.

There's still some time left. Keep the Faith! And no doubt you have re-applied for the new cycle to hedge your bets. You are a poster child for everything that's wrong with the current politicized, subjective, opaque selection process. As far as I can tell many UG state med schools aren't even abiding with their responsibilities to the actual taxpayers that support their existence. Texas, Utah, Oregon, Washington are ones that do but I don't believe ones located in NY or CA do. Wishing you luck with the wait lists.
Thank you! Though I actually haven't reapplied. The plan is to go to Touro-CA, unless CNU works out.

"Works out" meaning I get accepted and it doesn't totally sketch me out on interview day.

"Works out" meaning I get accepted and it doesn't totally sketch me out on interview day.

Yes it's a tough decision - DO school with a decent variety of residency matches vs very new new new MD school.
I still can't believe you didn't get snapped up by an OOS med school that places a high value on academic merit.
Did you not apply to enough out of state schools? Are you tied to California for personal reasons?
If you are accepted by CNU but decline an MD acceptance to go to a DO school, would that be viewed negatively by MD Residency Program Directors in the future?
I have no idea.
You should find out.
Good luck with your decision.

Yes it's a tough decision - DO school with a decent variety of residency matches vs very new new new MD school.
I still can't believe you didn't get snapped up by an OOS med school that places a high value on academic merit.
Did you not apply to enough out of state schools? Are you tied to California for personal reasons?
If you are accepted by CNU but decline an MD acceptance to go to a DO school, would that be viewed negatively by MD Residency Program Directors in the future?
I have no idea.
You should find out.
Good luck with your decision.
Due to personal reasons I can't go out of state for medical school.

I actually applied to OHSU too...but apparently they don't like Californians

OHSU provides another example of a "lucky" state. The matriculated ~0.7% of their OOS applicants, yet interview 5% of the pool, so they're really harsh on OOSer.

In the mean time, work on interview skills, or fill in any holes in your ECs.

OHSU provides another example of a "lucky" state. The matriculated ~0.7% of their OOS applicants, yet interview 5% of the pool, so they're really harsh on OOSer. In the mean time, work on interview skills, or fill in any holes in your ECs.

I interviewed at OHSU -- as a CA resident -- and got the feeling that they like Californians, but think that our medical schools are overcrowded. Which they are.

Due to personal reasons I can't go out of state for medical school.

That's too bad! Your stats are great. Cali is just tough.... I have personal reasons that make going out of state really difficult too, so I get it. Hopefully one of those waitlists pans out. Especially if UCD would come through! :)

No mean feat. Wait listed?

Thanks. And I wasn't waitlisted; I wish that I was, though, since it might have given me a reason to go back there for a mini-vacation (Portland is really nice, especially in the Summer).

Something about OHSU bothered me, though. The med student giving the tour said something along the lines of "I know this is the #1 ranked primary care school in the country, but nobody cares about that. I'm going to be a urologist and most of us want to specialize." The other interviewees had the same vibe.

OHSU provides another example of a "lucky" state. The matriculated ~0.7% of their OOS applicants, yet interview 5% of the pool, so they're really harsh on OOSer.

In the mean time, work on interview skills, or fill in any holes in your ECs.
Yup OHSU is definitely hard on those from OOS.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not re-applying. My choices now are to go to Touro-CA or to CNU (if I get in). Despite poking around here and on r/premed, I'm still torn. And my interview at CNU isn't until 7/24 so I don't think the anxiety will go away until then.

That's too bad! Your stats are great. Cali is just tough.... I have personal reasons that make going out of state really difficult too, so I get it. Hopefully one of those waitlists pans out. Especially if UCD would come through! :)
Thanks! Yeah it would be amazing if I got into UCD, I loved it so much when I interviewed.

Go into your interview with lots of questions. Remember that you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. Grill 'em like a steak.

Yup OHSU is definitely hard on those from OOS.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not re-applying. My choices now are to go to Touro-CA or to CNU (if I get in). Despite poking around here and on r/premed, I'm still torn. And my interview at CNU isn't until 7/24 so I don't think the anxiety will go away until then.

Go into your interview with lots of questions. Remember that you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. Grill 'em like a steak.
Will do! And I'll report back to y'all as soon as the interview day is done.

Speaking of which, did anyone interview at CNU today? If so, spill the details! We're starved of first-hand information on this thread.

Their curriculum is systems-based (e.g. renal, cardiovascular, etc.) and courses like "medical school physiology" aren't taught, there. As far as I know, they conduct classes by having professors rotate through on a daily-weekly basis according to their research area. So, a cardiovascular researcher likely teaches a section in cardiovascular physiology and pharmacology, renal pharmacology, etc.

I did find a "2) surface anatomy sessions with body painting" course on their website, though, lol
http://medicine.cnsu.edu/education/phase-a-years-1-2

As someone who just finished MS1 and was taught anatomy by two MDs and an experienced PhD anatomist, believe me there is no way a PhD candidate could have come close to imparting an appropriate level of knowledge and context.

Depends on how you define amazing. I would have jumped on this had I not been accepted to another program.

As someone who just finished MS1 and was taught anatomy by two MDs and an experienced PhD anatomist, believe me there is no way a PhD candidate could have come close to imparting an appropriate level of knowledge and context.

What were some of the things you learned? Kick some knowledge.

Depends on how you define amazing. I would have jumped on this had I not been accepted to another program.

So if you only had 2 choices, would you go to new prelim accredited American MD school over a 10 year old DO school?

So if you only had 2 choices, would you go to new prelim accredited American MD school over a 10 year old DO school?
Not sure if this question is directed at me since the quote is incorrectly attributes (probably SDN's fault), but this is thing question I've been trying to answer. Right now I'm torn 50/50, hoping to get more answers after I interview on the 24th.

Not sure if this question is directed at me since the quote is incorrectly attributes (probably SDN's fault), but this is thing question I've been trying to answer. Right now I'm torn 50/50, hoping to get more answers after I interview on the 24th.

Sorry I didn't mean to direct the question to you. Rather to @ jonnythan. It was my goof up, not sdn's.

Oh, me? I'd generally choose a new MD school, but probably not this one. The faculty looks horribly anemic and I'm rather averse to for-profit schools in general. UCR, Hofstra, etc: no problem. UCN? Dunno.

But if this was my only acceptance? In a heartbeat.

If I were you I would choose the non-profit reputable D.O. school. Touro is a top notch D.O. school in SF with a great match list. Personally, I know a lot of people that got rejected from that very same school and would love to have the opportunity to attend. Maybe this new school will do well, but the facts: for-profit, they know they don't have to try. Really they could just do what the Caribbean schools do, fail out as many as possible and/or make you re-take courses until they know they have a good batch of students to take the USMLE. Why would you risk it if you don't have to? To have an M.D. from the first for-profit medical school in the country with no reputation except to make money for their investors?

All in all, you seem like a very intelligent person and I think with the right attitude you will be fine with whatever choice you make.

Last edited:
Well, in reality, high attrition rates at both MD and DO schools catch the accreditors attention in a very large and not good way.

If I were you I would choose the non-profit reputable D.O. school. Touro is a top notch D.O. school in SF with a great match list. Personally, I know a lot of people that got rejected from that very same school and would love to have the opportunity to attend. Maybe this new school will do well, but the facts: for-profit, they know they don't have to try. Really they could just do what the Caribbean schools do, fail out as many as possible and/or make you re-take courses until they know they have a good batch of students to take the USMLE. Why would you risk it if you don't have to? To have an M.D. from the first for-profit medical school in the country with no reputation except to make money for their investors?

All in all, you seem like a very intelligent person and I think with the right attitude you will be fine with whatever choice you make.

So I just got back from interviewing at CNU, using a throwaway just in-case. It went largely as I expected it to. I will post bullet points of what I took away from today in no particular order, then clarify a few things and give my opinion of CNU.

• Elk Grove is a nice place with lots of things to do, lots of restaurants but it has a very suburban feel.
  • Campus was nice enough, it is all housed in one building with the MD portion taking up one floor and the Pharm portion taking up another.
  • Cadaver lab, skills lab and research lab were all pretty standard if a bit small.
  • They seem to really want to get some research started but I didn't get the feeling that it would be easy for students to walk in and get any real research done quickly; I attribute this to the fact that there really isn't any medical school established labs. They were open to supporting students who try and collaborate with MD/PHDs from other programs.
  • Interview group was small with only 36 people, most from California with a few from other west coast states and a couple people from the east coast (I have never been on any other interview so I don't know if 36 is actually small or not but it felt small)
  • School is definitely going high tech, you will get electronic access to all required and recommended textbooks so no need to buy books which is nice and at least the inaugural class will be given new mac book airs (I think this will be every class but not sure).
  • Each lecture room had multiple projectors and they talked about using a couple different electronic programs for testing and distributing lectures.
  • Sounds like nearly every class will be recorded and made available, a few courses will be mandatory (obviously).
  • There was definitely a feeling of rushing to get things set up before classes start, which is a bit disconcerting.
  • Interviews consisted of three one-on-one interviews that lasted 25-30 mins each, they did mention that next year they plan on doing MMI style interviews.
  • Interviews consisted of pretty standard questions but I felt that all of the people I talked to did a good job of segueing those questions into having a nice conversation on why medicine, why CNU, etc.
  • Interviews seemed to be very relaxed and friendly (note this is from comments other people made who had been to other interviews, this was my 1st so I have no point of reference).
  • All exams will be based off of NBME questions.
Now to clarify a couple things. CNU will be accepting 60 students this year and plan to accept 80 next year. Going forward they want to increase class size until they get to around 150 students, so the 265 number that has been thrown around a little bit is incorrect. Their curriculum makes a lot more sense, at least to me, after having spoken with them. The majority of courses will be system based (cardiopulmonary, renal, etc) concurrently with this students will be split up into 'colleges' of 20 students and you will be given a faculty mentor. This mentor will be responsible for teaching the "Masters Colloquium" which is basically their version of professionalism/ethics courses, your faculty mentor will also be responsible for interceding when they see students struggling academically.

Now for how I feel about the school, it hasn't really changed much. The school seems very aware of the fact that the 1st class is going to be heavily scrutinized and I felt that they were genuine in their desire to create a solid medical school program. CNU seems like a place where you will get a standard M1 and M2 education, I feel that the skepticism about their rotations is justified if perhaps overly dramatic. The school does seem to have an adequate number of rotation sites but until a class goes through them there is no way to determine how good they will be. Because of this I feel the school should be pretty low on peoples list, if you have an acceptance to a different MD school I would say go there, if you have an acceptance to a solid DO school I would say go there. But if you have an acceptance to a low level DO program (perhaps only one acceptance at a school you really didn't like) I would say you should look at CNU and if you are a borderline applicant you need to make the decision if you want to bolster your application or try to get into medical school right now. I do feel that CNU would limit your ability to get super competitive residency due mostly to the unknown caliber of their rotations but that you will get a solid education there, so all of the future heads of neurosurgery should probably look elsewhere.

I am only a premed student and this was my 1st interview so take the above with a very large grain of salt. In my situation I am glad I applied and interviewed, if accepted I will be attending but I am not the standard student and I feel each applicant really needs to look at CNU from their own unique perspective to see if the school is right for them.

Reactions: 16 users
So I just got back from interviewing at CNU, using a throwaway just in-case. It went largely as I expected it to. I will post bullet points of what I took away from today in no particular order, then clarify a few things and give my opinion of CNU.

• Elk Grove is a nice place with lots of things to do, lots of restaurants but it has a very suburban feel.
  • Campus was nice enough, it is all housed in one building with the MD portion taking up one floor and the Pharm portion taking up another.
  • Cadaver lab, skills lab and research lab were all pretty standard if a bit small.
  • They seem to really want to get some research started but I didn't get the feeling that it would be easy for students to walk in and get any real research done quickly; I attribute this to the fact that there really isn't any medical school established labs. They were open to supporting students who try and collaborate with MD/PHDs from other programs.
  • Interview group was small with only 36 people, most from California with a few from other west coast states and a couple people from the east coast (I have never been on any other interview so I don't know if 36 is actually small or not but it felt small)
  • School is definitely going high tech, you will get electronic access to all required and recommended textbooks so no need to buy books which is nice and at least the inaugural class will be given new mac book airs (I think this will be every class but not sure).
  • Each lecture room had multiple projectors and they talked about using a couple different electronic programs for testing and distributing lectures.
  • Sounds like nearly every class will be recorded and made available, a few courses will be mandatory (obviously).
  • There was definitely a feeling of rushing to get things set up before classes start, which is a bit disconcerting.
  • Interviews consisted of three one-on-one interviews that lasted 25-30 mins each, they did mention that next year they plan on doing MMI style interviews.
  • Interviews consisted of pretty standard questions but I felt that all of the people I talked to did a good job of segueing those questions into having a nice conversation on why medicine, why CNU, etc.
  • Interviews seemed to be very relaxed and friendly (note this is from comments other people made who had been to other interviews, this was my 1st so I have no point of reference).
Now to clarify a couple things. CNU will be accepting 60 students this year and plan to accept 80 next year. Going forward they want to increase class size until they get to around 150 students, so the 265 number that has been thrown around a little bit is incorrect. Their curriculum makes a lot more sense, at least to me, after having spoken with them. The majority of courses will be system based (cardiopulmonary, renal, etc) concurrently with this students will be split up into 'colleges' of 20 students and you will be given a faculty mentor. This mentor will be responsible for teaching the "Masters Colloquium" which is basically their version of professionalism/ethics courses, your faculty mentor will also be responsible for interceding when they see students struggling academically.

Now for how I feel about the school, it hasn't really changed much. The school seems very aware of the fact that the 1st class is going to be heavily scrutinized and I felt that they were genuine in their desire to create a solid medical school program. CNU seems like a place where you will get a standard M1 and M2 education, I feel that the skepticism about their rotations is justified if perhaps overly dramatic. The school does seem to have an adequate number of rotation sites but until a class goes through them there is no way to determine how good they will be. Because of this I feel the school should be pretty low on peoples list, if you have an acceptance to a different MD school I would say go there, if you have an acceptance to a solid DO school I would say go there. But if you have an acceptance to a low level DO program (perhaps only one acceptance at a school you really didn't like) I would say you should look at CNU and if you are a borderline applicant you need to make the decision if you want to bolster your application or try to get into medical school right now. I do feel that CNU would limit your ability to get super competitive residency due mostly to the unknown caliber of their rotations but that you will get a solid education there, so all of the future heads of neurosurgery should probably look elsewhere.

I am only a premed student and this was my 1st interview so take the above with a very large grain of salt. In my situation I am glad I applied and interviewed, if accepted I will be attending but I am not the standard student and I feel each applicant really needs to look at CNU from their own unique perspective to see if the school is right for them.

36 ppl/interview is quite large. Most interview I went to is less than 25. So from now till Sept, they would probably have another 8-9 more interview dates. So they would probably interview from 300-350 applicants for a class of 60. That is about 1/5 acceptance rate; seem pretty competitive to me.

Well done! If you're the caliber of candidate that CNU attracts and accepts, I think CNU has a good long term future. Maybe we'll eventually cross paths doing our residency. Good luck!

D'awwww, thanks

Thank you so much for all the information! I hope everything works out for you. Did they say how long it would take for them to get back to you with their decision?

D'awwww, thanks

Look at Touro threads at sdn. Not sure if top notch is the common descriptor. Also consider the philosophy differences between DO and MD schools. I'd go to the CNU interview with an open mind. Are you tied to California forever and ever? An M.D. degree might travel better even from a new school. But I have nothing to support that theory.I looked at the mission statement of Touro and the stuff about social justice was weird. Maybe it's because that's a trendy phrase?But I associate social justice with law and activism. I'm not into that stuff personally.

Last edited:
36 ppl/interview is quite large. Most interview I went to is less than 25. So from now till Sept, they would probably have another 8-9 more interview dates. So they would probably interview from 300-350 applicants for a class of 60. That is about 1/5 acceptance rate; seem pretty competitive to me.

Staff said there would be a total of 6 interview days and they would still with 36 students per day so total should be around 210. Also last interviews will be in early August because orientation starts August 31st. They also stated they do rolling admissions so the later you are the lower your chances. They did say that as of yesterday morning they had roughly 470 applications turned in. If 36 is big then applicants who get to interview at other schools must really get a chance to know each other if they go on the same day, that is actually kind of cool.

Well done! If you're the caliber of candidate that CNU attracts and accepts, I think CNU has a good long term future. Maybe we'll eventually cross paths doing our residency. Good luck!

Thanks! I will be honest if I had an acceptance elsewhere I would likely take it over this but given the fact that I have gone through several cycles with not even an interview invite (MD or DO) I am happy for this opportunity. For me the school is a good fit I have no aspirations of super competitive residencies, I am older and location is important for me and my wife and family. Combined with the fact that I plan on returning either to my home town or a similar rural area on the west coast I think I can be quite happy at this school, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

Thank you so much for all the information! I hope everything works out for you. Did they say how long it would take for them to get back to you with their decision?

Maximum of 10 business days starting tomorrow so the 22nd but it could be earlier. Website says the earliest it could be is the 14th. I will say after having gone through other application cycles have things go quickly, whether I get in or not, is very refreshing.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask, I will keep checking with this throwaway for a couple of days.

Reactions: 4 users