California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats good if you're a md candidate
yep, the real question is why the DO programs signed up for the merger when it seems like the result will be a lot more DOs struggling or failing to match

Members don't see this ad.

yep, the real question is why the DO programs signed up for the merger when it seems like the result will be a lot more DOs struggling or failing to match
Because there are an inadequate number of DO residencies to begin with.
The whole system relies on an abundance of MD residencies that go unmatched.
To have been shut out of those (and fellowships) would have been far worse.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh please, here's the Cliff's Notes version: O: trocanter. I: top of the knee.

Now you tell me what happens if a bullet transects it in a 19 year old soldier?

Quick, I need someone with a PhD to tell me what the origins and insertions of the vastus lateralis are!

I just had a course taught by a PhD candidate; he taught a 100-level math course (at a respectable public school).

Whether it's system's based or classic Flexner-style, to teach at the med school level you need people who know what they're doing and more importantly, be able to teach in a medical context (as I have asked) and even more importantly, know what they're doing.

Look we get it, you're happy that a med school is opening in your backyard, but really, don't shill for them. You should be looking at this eyes open.

Two veteran medical educators are looking at this and the alarm bells are going off all over the place. CNU won't compete with my school, I don't have a dog in the fight; I'm just appalled.

Their curriculum is systems-based (e.g. renal, cardiovascular, etc.) and courses like "medical school physiology" aren't taught, there. As far as I know, they conduct classes by having professors rotate through on a daily-weekly basis according to their research area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
can you explain that

How is there an abundance of unmatched slots if there's an excess of med students? Do people just walk away from medicine loaded with debt if they don't get their choice of residencies?

Thats good if you're a md candidate

IMG's will likely feel the pain first of the combined residency idea. But based on what I've read, don't discount the possibility that the politicized empty suits at the AMA have sold out M.D.'s. They've done it before by supporting Obamacare. I've been told that cynicism has been my natural disposition since I could talk in sentences ( age 2).

can you explain that
How is there an abundance of unmatched slots if there's an excess of med students? Do people just walk away from medicine loaded with debt if they don't get their choice of residencies?
There is no excess of US medical students (MD or DO). There are thousands of "leftover" residency positions that go to IMG's even now. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ADT2015_final.pdf
http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
US grads prefer highly sought-after spots in well-known programs, however.
This is why the number of unmatched US seniors has been going up every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
so it will be even harder for caribs to come here? good news

Reactions: 1 users

Most DO students from schools like Touro or Western attempt to get into md residencies rather than DO residencies which are viewed as less prestigious and lead to worse job prospects. Schools like Touro even boast that half their class goes to acgme (have no idea if this is true) residencies so they kind of view do residencies as second rate residencies and want to move DO schools into a kind of parity with allopathic schools by offering equivilant residency and thus trainin

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh please, here's the Cliff's Notes version: O: trocanter. I: top of the knee.

Now you tell me what happens if a bullet transects it in a 19 year old soldier?

Whether it's system's based or classic Flexner-style, to teach at the med school level you need people who know what they're doing and more importantly, be able to teach in a medical context (as I have asked) and even more importantly, know what they're doing.

Look we get it, you're happy that a med school is opening in your backyard, but really, don't shill for them. You should be looking at this eyes open.

Two veteran medical educators are looking at this and the alarm bells are going off all over the place. CNU won't compete with my school, I don't have a dog in the fight; I'm just appalled.

Their curriculum is systems-based (e.g. renal, cardiovascular, etc.) and courses like "medical school physiology" aren't taught, there. As far as I know, they conduct classes by having professors rotate through on a daily-weekly basis according to their research area.

I hear you, but I would like to see people be more civilized/nicer. That's all.

And, I don't know how they'll structure courses, my blue statement above is just a guess after finishing a medically-related masters. Every course I had was like that.

Still, CNUCOM has potential; more than people are giving it credit for.

Reactions: 1 user
My students are in a similar situation to the CA COM's. It's not that the AOA residencies are bad, it's that there aren't that many of them (compared to ACGME slots), and even less in CA. Most of my students want to stick close to home, ditto CA students.

If you dig up Touro's match list (see http://medicalschoolhq.net/touro-university-college-of-osteopathic-medicine-california-tucom-ca/), they do indeed send the majority of their students to ACGME residencies. From what my Clinical deans tell me, these are decent sites. I remember their Dean crowing about this at an AOA meeting.

Most DO students from schools like Touro or Western attempt to get into md residencies rather than DO residencies which are viewed as less prestigious and lead to worse job prospects. Schools like Touro even boast that half their class goes to acgme (have no idea if this is true) residencies so they kind of view do residencies as second rate residencies and want to move DO schools into a kind of parity with allopathic schools by offering equivilant residency and thus trainin

And OutinS, I do really wish you well, but your posts remind me of a guy in another forum I frequent. He always gets bent out shape when people criticise Chrysler cars...he took it personally....you're doing the same thing. Just remember, it's a medical school, not a family member.

I hear you, but I would like to see people be more civilized/nicer. That's all.
Still, CNUCOM has potential; more than people are giving it credit for.

US MD/DO schools (Except CNSU) >>> CNSU >>> Carib

Is this about right based on what I have read in this thread?

eh I would still put CNUCOM above any Osteopathic school in my opinion

eh I would still put CNUCOM above any Osteopathic school in my opinion

Only in the same way Caribbean MD schools are above DOs. In the minds of some pre-meds but no residency program directors.

Are you going to really say a for-profit rushed money grab with severely under-qualified faculty and a clunky confusing contradictory curriculum is better than Osteopathic schools, most of which have very good faculty, positive learning environments, with tried and tried education methods, and great educational outcomes? I understand thinking a MD is better than a DO, but Caribbean schools offer MDs too and if you dropped CNUCOM into the Caribbean you'd probably struggle to tell the difference between it and the rest of the Caribbean.

What's your reasoning? I really wish people would recognize overvaluing the importance of a MD over a DO degree, when both can get you to the same places, and places like CNUCOM are preying off the desperation of applicants such as yourself. If CNUCOM turns out to be great or improves more power to you, but this place is seriously sketch, not very professional, and a total rush job. As nitpicky as it sounds the fact that the site is littered with typos and the faculty and administration I emailed have "California Nortstate Univesity College of Medicine" as their pre-printed signature, shows how little attention to detail they pay. Normally, I'd say this is overly nit-picky, but in the case of CNUCOM it speaks volumes.

I wish I could find a paper on the LCME accreditation, see what the LCME's comments were on this place, because I bet CNUCOM had some seriously professional lobbyists seal the deal.
I have a question. Have you applied to this school?

Are you going to really say a for-profit rushed money grab with severely under-qualified faculty and a clunky confusing contradictory curriculum is better than Osteopathic schools, most of which have very good faculty, positive learning environments, with tried and tried education methods, and great educational outcomes? I understand thinking a MD is better than a DO, but Caribbean schools offer MDs too and if you dropped CNUCOM into the Caribbean you'd probably struggle to tell the difference between it and the rest of the Caribbean.

Emotions aside, CNU has not been established in a rush; in fact they have already graduated their pharmacy class and their med school faculty have been ready to start for over a year now (as they did not expect LCME to take as long as they did). Their faculty is largely drawn from other new US medical schools so the statement that they have no experience has no merit. The notion that any US MD is > than DO is based on fact, that is match results of any MD school vs the best DO school (if such a thing exists). Whether CNUCOM will break this trend, only time will tell; but I would not bet on it. If anything the criticism I heard so far about CNU can easily be applied to many DO schools and thus only goes to show why MD residencies do not look favorably upon DO recipients.

Rocky Vista is a for-profit DO school and is doing just fine. I see no reason to believe that CNU will not be able to recruit 60 qualified students into their first class, and I am willing to bet that for their second class they will have students with stats higher than some other MD schools out there. I do not understand this frustration over CNU; about a third of medical residents currently in training are graduates of a foreign school and we have absolutely no idea what standarts of education are employed on a small Caribbean island, which economy depends on subpar medical education, but I don't think it takes a genius to conclude that CNU would have much higher standarts than those other foreign medical schools, which by the way have been sending physicians to US residencies for ages now; yet no one is furious about the training they received.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
at the end of the day, if you get an MD from an LCME accredited US medical school, wouldn't your residency opportunities be better than any DO school? at least your application will be looked at by every program.

all else being equal (step 1 score, LORs, grades, etc), can anyone argue that a CNU graduate with an MD degree WON'T have better residency opportunities than a DO graduate from an established school?

Last edited:
I'd love Goro to chime in on this if possible. As far as I've heard, LCME accreditation is far from easy to obtain and barring this school bribing it's way in it has passed the test. Isn't it also possible they have modifiers to their accreditation task list such as bringing in more faculty and rotate in skilled physicians? I would think (hopefully not naively) that for profit means a larger pool of resources that could be used to recruit some quality professors.

I think this thread is over because it's just going around in circles. I know some people will never be convinced, for the same reason Caribbean schools continue to fill their classes. However, residency directors aren't stupid. When you have two adcoms on this site disgusted about this school, it honestly doesn't matter WHAT else CNU has going for it because residency directors will probably have the same feeling. This school isn't going to get a free pass just for being an M.D. Vs D.O. because residency directors aren't stupid. They aren't going to stick their fingers in their ears and chant "M.D. M.D. M.D.!!!" without knowing the deal with this school like some people wish they would.

This whole thread reminds me of:
"But other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

I would agree that this thread is going around in circles... because of certain individuals. It's like I said before, I would like it if people here behaved more maturely. Since they're not, you get what we have, here.

That aside, matching a residency is up to the applicant; having publications, LORs from notable people, good clinical grades, etc go a long way for that. Unless you went to an international school, being strong in these areas will land you interviews even if you go to someplace like U of Western Michigan, U of Toledo, or even a DO school like Touro or Western.

Back to my shill role, from what it looks like, CNUCOM has integrated research into their 4th year so that students can at least gain co-authorship on a paper before entering the match. I did a masters, (will) have a 1st author publication, and have made connections for doing elective rotations at 2 top 10 medical schools, as well as Summer of 1st year research. I'm not just showing up to medical school saying "gimme a residency!"

I think this thread is over because it's just going around in circles. I know some people will never be convinced, for the same reason Caribbean schools continue to fill their classes. However, residency directors aren't stupid. When you have two adcoms on this site disgusted about this school, it honestly doesn't matter WHAT else CNU has going for it because residency directors will probably have the same feeling. This school isn't going to get a free pass just for being an M.D. Vs D.O. because residency directors aren't stupid. They aren't going to stick their fingers in their ears and chant "M.D. M.D. M.D.!!!" without knowing the deal with this school like some people wish they would.

This whole thread reminds me of:
"But other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
Many residency directors are disgusted by DO and will pick a US MD graduate over them. Some programs don't even take DO applications. This school has LCME accreditation and is a US MD school. This school is under more stringent requirements than carribean schools. This school will be required to match nearly 100% of the class, unlike carribean schools. Historically, carrib schools match terribly. Historically, new US MD schools match better than any DO school. Can anyone really say that your residency opportunities aren't better at this school than any DO school?

Last edited:
gyngyn and I have already commented on our concerns.

I'd love Goro to chime in on this if possible. As far as I've heard, LCME accreditation is far from easy to obtain and barring this school bribing it's way in it has passed the test. Isn't it also possible they have modifiers to their accreditation task list such as bringing in more faculty and rotate in skilled physicians? I would think (hopefully not naively) that for profit means a larger pool of resources that could be used to recruit some quality professors.

For a school that has yet to accept a single student, you're being extremely premature. Even MD schools have rotation sites blow up in their faces, so nothing is guaranteed. But from what I'm seeing, CNU is behaving even worse that some other new DO schools, who acted like some folks got together and said, "hey, let's open a medical school!"

but can anyone really say that your residency opportunities aren't better at this school than any DO school?

Last edited:
their for profit status is concerning,

Why is for profit status such a concern? Is it because of the recent Corinthian scandal? To establish a new med school from scratch, it takes a lot of $, i.e. private investor $. Yes investors want a return on their $ but otoh one could also see that as an incentive to have the med school flourish long term. A for profit med school might might get very good applicants especially from states like California or New York. And if they shorten the curriculum to be 3 years with no negative effect on Step scores, they'll have applicants banging on their doors. I don't think investors in CNUCOM are expecting a huge profit immediately. If it's anything like Rocky Vista "according to Dr. Martin, the school's auditing firm projected that there will be no return on the $100 million investment for the first two to three years. The firm predicts that it will take 17 years to break even." I'm not saying CNUCOM will eventually be a great school. But to be hung up on its for profit status seems a bit short-sighted.

Last edited:
Why is for profit status such a concern? Is it because of the recent Corinthian scandal? To establish a new med school from scratch, it takes a lot of $, i.e. private investor $. Yes investors want a return on their $ but otoh one could also see that as an incentive to have the med school flourish long term. A for profit med school might might get very good applicants especially from states like California or New York. And if they shorten the curriculum to be 3 years with no negative effect on Step scores, they'll have applicants banging on their doors. I don't think investors in CNCUM are expecting a huge profit immediately. If it's anything like Rocky Vista "according to Dr. Martin, the school's auditing firm projected that there will be no return on the $100 million investment for the first two to three years. The firm predicts that it will take 17 years to break even." I'm not saying CNCUM will eventually be a great school. But to be hung up on its for profit status seems a bit short-sighted.

It's not really a secret that across the board for-profit colleges have questionable morals and very little regard for their students. That's why you see most of the student loan default rate being attributed to for profit colleges in this country by a WIDE margin, and why you'll hear about them having call centers dedicated to recruiting former military veterans for their sweet sweet GI bill money (a disgusting and widespread practice). The federal government as recently as a week ago has started cracking down on them big time.

Even among current for profit medical schools, pretty much all of them in the Caribbean screw over a large majority of their matriculants in the quest to put federal loan dollars in their pockets. The few for profit med schools in the U.S. that do exist and do alright by their students, do so out of circumstance I suspect. If the situation changes, and they have to resort to questionable means to keep the dollars flowing, they will. Bottom line is for-profit schools don't really care about the well being of their students, only that the loan money keeps flowing in. That's not a good starting place for any education, let alone a medical education.

It's not really a secret that across the board for-profit colleges have questionable morals and very little regard for their students. That's why you see most of the student loan default rate being attributed to for profit colleges in this country by a WIDE margin, and why you'll hear about them having call centers dedicated to recruiting former military veterans for their sweet sweet GI bill money (a disgusting and widespread practice). The federal government as recently as a week ago has started cracking down on them big time.

Even among current for profit medical schools, pretty much all of them in the Caribbean screw over a large majority of their matriculants in the quest to put federal loan dollars in their pockets. The few for profit med schools in the U.S. that do exist and do alright by their students, do so out of circumstance I suspect. If the situation changes, and they have to resort to questionable means to keep the dollars flowing, they will. Bottom line is for-profit schools don't really care about the well being of their students, only that the loan money keeps flowing in. That's not a good starting place for any education, let alone a medical education.
Thanks for the explanation.

As someone who didn't take the time to read through all the pages of this thread, can someone explain to me what makes CNUCOM so bad, but RVU good even though both are for profit?

It doesn't leave me surprised why the school was forced to recruit international faculty as it seems like some U.S. trained faculty in CA have the problem with this school solely based on its for-profit status.

This is the the crux of the problem. If U.S. trained faculty avoids this place like the plague, residency directors probably will aim to as well. This program will leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths which is not what you want as a bright eyed residency hopeful. Not saying you won't score a residency at all, because the spots are there, but the reality is that you will probably be at the bottom of the barrel.

I don't even think that many people know of CNU outside of California, and will probably see their students as just someone who graduated from an LCME accredited school.

Many people, yes. But residency directors? The people whose entire jobs is to vet medical students, and the only people who matter in securing a job when you are $300k in debt? They will know everything about CNU.

This school isn't going to get a free pass just for being an M.D. Vs D.O. because residency directors aren't stupid. They aren't going to stick their fingers in their ears and chant "M.D. M.D. M.D.!!!" without knowing the deal with this school like some people wish they would.

And you know this how?

I'm starting to think that the poster who described this thread as being circular is right. I think I'm going to abandon ship.

I feel like the reasons for concern have been outlined clearly: unprofessionalism (grammar errors galore on website, no response to calls or emails, the decision to fill a class in 3 months, ect), poor faculty (grad students and foreign MD's), lack of federal aid.
The only people who are making the thread circular are those who choose to disregard or try to explain away these glaring issues. Which is fine for you, but most of the community will not agree with you.

I feel like the reasons for concern have been outlined clearly: unprofessionalism (grammar errors galore on website, no response to calls or emails, the decision to fill a class in 3 months, ect), poor faculty (grad students and foreign MD's), lack of federal aid.
The only people who are making the thread circular are those who choose to disregard or try to explain away these glaring issues. Which is fine for you, but most of the community will not agree with you.

Your point is what, exactly? Nothing positive or productive has resulted from the discussion here, lately.

In other news, this morning I contacted the health professions shortage area program of an allopathic medical school I interviewed at in the Fall and found out a lot of useful stuff. For instance, how students have matched local residencies by undertaking research on healthcare access and presenting their findings at certain conferences, establishing elective rotations in areas/specialties that will help students gain professional contacts for eventual practice, and I even found out about the competitiveness of rural loan repayment programs insofar as how much doing the above has helped students applying for loan forgiveness.

I was planning to put the above and what else I've done into a cohesive, polite message for the group here, and describe how we might help each other by doing what other medical students do which is to establish practice interest groups (e.g. a rural practice interest group, a community wellness interest group, etc); also, how we can borrow ideas from the UCD SOM and possibly even poach some of their rural PRIME clinical rotation sites (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/rural_prime/map.html) with volunteering/elective rotations and things like that. Anyhow, if you go onto any medical school's website you'll see about 30 different practice interest groups run by their students. blah blah blah, back to writing my paper.

Last edited:
Hello fellow Pusheen!

Let's be gentle everyone!
I don't think this should turn into a MD vs. DO debate, I'm sure that has been beat to death on SDN already lol.
I think this school provides a very good opportunity for many people. Even if someone chooses this over a DO school, that is, in the end, their decision! There are plenty of valid reasons to do so IMO.
To those who are interested in this school (for various reasons, not limited to MD degree, location, etc.), I think it's important to recognize that the wise SDN members (such as Goro or gyngyn) are merely warning us from things that are actually worth thinking about. Like any new school, this school has risks and it's important to recognize them as such! You don't have to be discouraged by what they say, and definitely don't be offended, but definitely listen. This ability to listen will be important in all of our professional lives one day.
Finally, I think it's also important to recognize that a lot of the success of this school, like many new schools, will be dependent on the students. How motivated are the students to do exceptionally well? The resources will be available, even if they are the minimum required by LCME, but it ultimately comes down to the students to initiate student run programs, and the other things @OutInSacramento spoke of in his/her post. (note- this is just my opinion that students can make a difference in these ways).

Btw, @OutInSacramento I would be interested to hear more about what you learned about practice interest groups and hope you would share! (if you have time outside of writing your paper).

Let's be gentle everyone!
I don't think this should turn into a MD vs. DO debate, I'm sure that has been beat to death on SDN already lol.
I think this school provides a very good opportunity for many people. Even if someone chooses this over a DO school, that is, in the end, their decision! There are plenty of valid reasons to do so IMO.
To those who are interested in this school (for various reasons, not limited to MD degree, location, etc.), I think it's important to recognize that the wise SDN members (such as Goro or gyngyn) are merely warning us from things that are actually worth thinking about. Like any new school, this school has risks and it's important to recognize them as such! You don't have to be discouraged by what they say, and definitely don't be offended, but definitely listen. This ability to listen will be important in all of our professional lives one day.
Finally, I think it's also important to recognize that a lot of the success of this school, like many new schools, will be dependent on the students. How motivated are the students to do exceptionally well? The resources will be available, even if they are the minimum required by LCME, but it ultimately comes down to the students to initiate student run programs, and the other things @OutInSacramento spoke of in his/her post. (note- this is just my opinion that students can make a difference in these ways).

Btw, @OutInSacramento I would be interested to hear more about what you learned about practice interest groups and hope you would share! (if you have time outside of writing your paper).

Very well said, Doctor4TheWorld.

In the interest of not perpetuating negativity, I'm only going to talk about productive/helpful things.

So, here are the student interest groups at several UC Schools of Medicine:

UCD
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/careers/sigs/

UCSF
http://meded.ucsf.edu/ume/student-organizations

UCLA
https://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/sao/act-org/career_specialty_description.htm

UCSD
https://meded.ucsd.edu/index.cfm/asa/student_affairs/student_organizations/active_organizations/

If I go to CNU, I will be starting up an Emergency Medicine interest group!

How does this help the physician shortage when MD students are avoiding going into primary care and probably won't be going into residency programs in the area? Why not just increase funding for UC Davis? Oh...because they can make more money charging med students 50k+ tuition and act like they will still go into primary care with 300k+ debt. Can't hate the player I guess, California will never have a shortage of people willing to shell out the money for medical school.

Last edited:
I'm actually glad to see all the negative comments about this school and post from weary/wary applicants. If you feel so unsure about the ability of this program and their faculty, don't waste anyone's time in applying. I on the other hand feel very positive about this school and have confidence that they will produce competent MD's and I have no shame in saying that I hope to be one of them. So continue to talk down about CNUCOM, but at the end of the day there will be many qualified applicants accepted into this program and will go on to match and practice alongside other US MD graduates. On a brighter note, I hope you all enjoyed your 4th of July weekend.

Last edited:
I even found out about the competitiveness of rural loan repayment programs insofar as how much doing the above has helped students applying for loan forgiveness
This is something I've been thinking about actually. These loan forgiveness programs is what a lot of places are using to attract PCPs into rural towns (I know of some in Upstate NY), but does loan forgiveness apply to private loans? I was under the assumption is was for federal loans only, but I could be totally wrong, I have to do more research on these types of programs.

This is something I've been thinking about actually. These loan forgiveness programs is what a lot of places are using to attract PCPs into rural towns (I know of some in Upstate NY), but does loan forgiveness apply to private loans? I was under the assumption is was for federal loans only, but I could be totally wrong, I have to do more research on these types of programs.

Good question; it varies by program, I believe, but they are described here:

https://services.aamc.org/fed_loan_...1&CFTOKEN=F74941D0-007F-CE25-E5E668FB6FC84D34

I'm actually glad to see all the negative comments about this school and post from weary applicants. If you feel so unsure about the ability of this program and their faculty, don't waste anyone's time in applying. I on the other hand feel very positive about this school and have confidence that they will produce competent MD's and I have no shame in saying that I hope to be one of them. So continue to talk down about CNUCOM, but at the end of the day there will be many qualified applicants accepted into this program and will go on to match and practice alongside other US MD graduates. On a brighter note, I hope you all enjoyed your 4th of July weekend.

This is not saying much, opening a medical school is one the best investments you can possibly make. California churns out the most pre-meds of any state, so filling classes with qualified applicants is pretty much a foregone conclusion(See: Touro). The idea that they are going to fill the area with new primary care physicians is the joke

I'm actually glad to see all the negative comments about this school and post from weary applicants.

Wary not weary. Unless you mean they are actually tired applicants. Sorry that mistake bothers me a lot.