Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my call this morning! I just paid my deposit and I'm taking my spot.

It's a huge relief because I turned down a guaranteed spot at another school 3 months ago hoping to get off the waitlist here. This school rocks.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
I got my call this morning! I just paid my deposit and I'm taking my spot.

It's a huge relief because I turned down a guaranteed spot at another school 3 months ago hoping to get off the waitlist here. This school rocks.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist :)

Congrats!

Any idea when we could hear how the first class did on their boards??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when we could here how the first class did on their boards??
Some of us still haven't taken them yet. Plus, it can take as much as 2 months for some people to get their scores. If I had to guess, I would say sometime in August.

Can anyone comment on how to set up the direct deposit for loan disbursements? I will be switching banks soon and it would be nice to do everything at one time, not to mention they have cash incentives that require a direct deposit account..

Can anyone comment on how to set up the direct deposit for loan disbursements? I will be switching banks soon and it would be nice to do everything at one time, not to mention they have cash incentives that require a direct deposit account..
cash incentives???

cash incentives???

Most banks offer new members a cash bonus when you open a checking account and often times have other requirements. I'm looking towards PNC which offers $300 if you open a checking with at least $3000, but a direct deposit account is another requirement.

I really don't care all that much about that specifically, it would just be nice to have everything set up ASAP so I no longer have to worry about it. I'm guessing details on how to do that come with official approval of loan requests, which I haven't received just yet.

Does anyone know if Campbell is willing to give you an admission for the next cycle if you do not get off the waitlist this cycle? I remember they briefly mentioned this during the interview but I never heard of anyone that actually did. I plan to ask near the end of July about this, should I ask earlier?

On my interview day they mentioned that those of us on the wait list would find out more specifically where we fall on the wait list. Does anyone know if we will hear anything other than high/mid/low tier?

Hello -

I just had a question regarding the secondary (which mirrors that of last years) and would greatly appreciate any input. On the third question "Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years?" I did end up submitting to my state MD school last year as I did like their mission, which was more geared towards rural/primary care similar to most of the DO schools I applied to this year. It was the only school I applied to that cycle. Should I include this in my answer or are they only wanting to know about DO schools?

Hello -

I just had a question regarding the secondary (which mirrors that of last years) and would greatly appreciate any input. On the third question "Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years?" I did end up submitting to my state MD school last year as I did like their mission, which was more geared towards rural/primary care similar to most of the DO schools I applied to this year. It was the only school I applied to that cycle. Should I include this in my answer or are they only wanting to know about DO schools?

I would mention it. They would have specified 'osteopathic medicine' rather than 'medical school' if they only wanted DO. That's just my two cents though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello -

Whoa, people are asking US about applications now 0.o

Hello -

The question is "Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years?"
Read it carefully.
Seriously, read the question because it answers your question.
The question isn't "Have you submitted an application to another osteopathic medical school within the last two years?"

The question is "Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years?"
Read it carefully.
Seriously, read the question because it answers your question.
The question isn't "Have you submitted an application to another osteopathic medical school within the last two years?"

That's I understood the question as well, but didn't want to include information that they may not be asking for. I more or less just wanted confirmation from previous applicants. Thank you for your response.

Does anyone know how many people they ask to apply for the presidential scholarship? Do they invite everyone to apply in the class, or how does that work?

Does anyone know how many people they ask to apply for the presidential scholarship? Do they invite everyone to apply in the class, or how does that work?
They definitely do not invite everyone to apply (I had a low gpa and very high mcat) no invite.

im applying this cycle and I recently got an II through email. I was wondering if scheduling of the II is made by phone or email. Im just wondering how I should expect it.

best of luck to anyone still waiting.

Hey everyone! I got accepted to Campbell a while back (current cumulative science and overall is 3.55 mcat 27 for undergrad). I am currently in a postbac/master's program where I am taking all medical school classes. I feel that I might end up with a couple of C's and my gpa for my master's will seriously take a hit (possibly between 2.6-3.1) .. Will Campbell take away my acceptance??

Hey everyone! I got accepted to Campbell a while back (current cumulative science and overall is 3.55 mcat 27 for undergrad). I am currently in a postbac/master's program where I am taking all medical school classes. I feel that I might end up with a couple of C's and my gpa for my master's will seriously take a hit (possibly between 2.6-3.1) .. Will Campbell take away my acceptance??
I deeply doubt any school will withdraw their acceptance if you did poorly after they had already offered acceptance. Is there any condition on the acceptance saying that they would withdraw acceptance for poor performance?

I deeply doubt any school will withdraw their acceptance if you did poorly after they had already offered acceptance. Is there any condition on the acceptance saying that they would withdraw acceptance for poor performance?
When I got my acceptance it said this:

Congratulations on your acceptance into the Class of ---- at Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM). This acceptance of your application requires that you maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2 and receive no less than a grade of C in all courses taken prior to matriculation. Acceptance into the Class of ---- is provisional upon successful completion of a background check and drug screen conducted under the direction of CUSOM, an official transcript of all academic coursework taken at all colleges and universities and completion of all clinical paperwork submitted to us prior to matriculation.

I feel that the cumulative grade point average and grades would apply more strictly to undergrad classes right? I feel Campbell would understand that grad work or postbac has to be considered differently.. The average medical school gpa is around a 3.0 .. What do you other SDn'ers think?

When I got my acceptance it said this:

Congratulations on your acceptance into the Class of ---- at Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM). This acceptance of your application requires that you maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2 and receive no less than a grade of C in all courses taken prior to matriculation. Acceptance into the Class of ---- is provisional upon successful completion of a background check and drug screen conducted under the direction of CUSOM, an official transcript of all academic coursework taken at all colleges and universities and completion of all clinical paperwork submitted to us prior to matriculation.

I feel that the cumulative grade point average and grades would apply more strictly to undergrad classes right? I feel Campbell would understand that grad work or postbac has to be considered differently.. The average medical school gpa is around a 3.0 .. What do you other SDn'ers think?
to be honest, i guess it applies to all the courses, both undergraduate and graduate, the cumulative gpa is a combined average of both graduate and undegrad. If ur undergrad course work is well above 3.2, ur overall gpa would not be affected much since you have more credits from undergrad and graduate course work takes a lesser weight credit-wise. the condition also states no lesser than c, which means c is acceptable, as long as ur overall is above 3.2.

This is just my guess

How long did it take you guys to get an II after you were complete?

Interesting. So far, this has been the only school to put me on hold before sending me a secondary, due to my science GPA (~3.1). I guess they have a higher hard minimum?

Interesting. So far, this has been the only school to put me on hold before sending me a secondary, due to my science GPA (~3.1). I guess they have a higher hard minimum?

If you read their website, it stated that to be competitive, you needed a 3.2 or greater for both sGPA and cGPA.

http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/admissions/admissions-process-requirements/

"Applicants should have achieved at least a 3.2 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale to be considered. The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.2) results in improved chances for acceptance. The most competitive applicants would have a science and cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher. CUSOM also places emphasis on the applicant’s interview."

If you read their website, it stated that to be competitive, you needed a 3.2 or greater for both sGPA and cGPA.

I had read that, I just didn't realize that "a competitive applicant should have..." meant "if you don't, we won't look at your application" :)

Thank you, guys.

3.57, 3.39, 24

Hi, not sure if you still go on here, but what are your general thoughts on the school and also do you think I have a chance with similar stats and a good PS and experiences and LOR? I'm working on submitting my secondary now, and trying to make it as good as possible!