Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on 3/31 and got my WL notification today. I'm still waiting on the tier placement email.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how likely it is to get a spot being in the middle tier of the wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone has been pulled off the waitlist as of yet. Am I wrong?

What makes you think this? If anything I'd think the opposite. The email explicitly states movement, perhaps not substantial movement but I believe her.

The WL is active according to a recent conversation with an admissions counselor. Stay hopeful

Does anyone have any information on the length of the waitlist and how many people are in each tier?

Does anyone have any information on the length of the waitlist and how many people are in each tier?

They don't disclose that much information, sure would be nice to know though!

Reactions: 1 users
So from what I can gather it really seems like CUSOM is helping students prepare for boards substantially by offering a free Kaplan service. Does this mean that there is no 'free' period of time for board prep, since they seem to provide a study plan? Does the Kaplan course also provide adequate exposure to USMLE-style practice exams, or is it more-so geared towards the COMLEX?

Can any 2nd year students comment? Are you taking the USMLE as well?
@sb247 @medickdb @Jazzy G @TheFuture_22 @Kla1124 @jaguar33

(I'm not sure who exactly is 2nd year, just pulling the peeps I know from this forum)

So from what I can gather it really seems like CUSOM is helping students prepare for boards substantially by offering a free Kaplan service. Does this mean that there is no 'free' period of time for board prep, since they seem to provide a study plan? Does the Kaplan course also provide adequate exposure to USMLE-style practice exams, or is it more-so geared towards the COMLEX?

(I'm not sure who exactly is 2nd year, just pulling the peeps I know from this forum)
They hired kaplan to teach comlex, it's a multiple week class that is mandatory unless you crush (600+) the comsae (comlex assesment).....you then have a 5-6 week period of free time to take the comlex/step1, so you schedule it later in that time if you want more private study or earlier if you want to get it over with

Reactions: 1 user
They hired kaplan to teach comlex, it's a multiple week class that is mandatory unless you crush (600+) the comsae (comlex assesment).....you then have a 5-6 week period of free time to take the comlex/step1, so you schedule it later in that time if you want more private study or earlier if you want to get it over with
Hey sb247 I just wanted to clarify but if you don't crush the comsae you are in class with Kaplan for 4 weeks, how much possible free time do you have to study on your own after the class is over? How late can you schedule your comlex/step 1 with cusom? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey sb247 I just wanted to clarify but if you don't crush the comsae you are in class with Kaplan for 4 weeks, how much possible free time do you have to study on your own after the class is over? How late can you schedule your comlex/step 1 with cusom? Thanks
5ish weeks i think after the kaplan class, if you crush comsae you have the option to skip kaplan. Comlex must be taken before you start rotations.

Kaplan course is 3 weeks. It is basically 3.5 days each week (Monday-Wednesday are full days that go into the afternoon and Thursday is practice questions over that weeks material until noonish). So there is still some time to even study some during the course. We then have 5 weeks after that course to take the test with most people opting to take it at 4 weeks and get a week off before rotations. I am taking USMLE 5 days before my COMLEX, and I will cram Savarese during those days in between. I'm not sure yet if the course will be geared toward both tests, but in my opinion the material is so similar I'm not sure it matters much aside from getting used to the question style differences (using UWorld for that purpose).

Kaplan course is 3 weeks. It is basically 3.5 days each week (Monday-Wednesday are full days that go into the afternoon and Thursday is practice questions over that weeks material until noonish). So there is still some time to even study some during the course. We then have 5 weeks after that course to take the test with most people opting to take it at 4 weeks and get a week off before rotations. I am taking USMLE 5 days before my COMLEX, and I will cram Savarese during those days in between. I'm not sure yet if the course will be geared toward both tests, but in my opinion the material is so similar I'm not sure it matters much aside from getting used to the question style differences (using UWorld for that purpose).

I was skeptical at first but I'm thinking I may actually prefer this approach. It seems like a good mix of structure and flexibility only being 3.5 days a week. Thanks for the input. I'm really liking the pre-clinical education, the integrated curriculum/exams (versus 'stacked', yuck), the week off between blocks, this kaplan course.. mandatory attendance is always a bummer but honestly I'd probably attend all the lectures anyways.

How are you guys anticipating the clinical years, do you think it will go well? It must be nerve-racking being the pioneers of the clinical network.

I was skeptical at first but I'm thinking I may actually prefer this approach. It seems like a good mix of structure and flexibility only being 3.5 days a week. Thanks for the input. I'm really liking the pre-clinical education, the integrated curriculum/exams (versus 'stacked', yuck), the week off between blocks, this kaplan course.. mandatory attendance is always a bummer but honestly I'd probably attend all the lectures anyways.

How are you guys anticipating the clinical years, do you think it will go well? It must be nerve-racking being the pioneers of the clinical network.
Well, the nice thing about lecture is that you can miss 15% of any given class. So, it's manadatory to a point.

Well, the nice thing about lecture is that you can miss 15% of any given class. So, it's manadatory to a point.

That's sweet. What does 15% come out to in days or lecture sections?

being on the high tier list is so thrilling and yet so nerve racking.... I really need some advice. Campbell is my first choice, absolutely no doubt about that. But my first deposit for a different school is due this Friday... Do I put it down as a solid plan B?

being on the high tier list is so thrilling and yet so nerve racking.... I really need some advice. Campbell is my first choice, absolutely no doubt about that. But my first deposit for a different school is due this Friday... Do I put it down as a solid plan B?

Put the deposit down, worst case you get pulled off the wait list and your out the cost of the deposit. What is $500-$1500 in the grand scheme of things.

And then either way, you will be a doctor when it's all said and done.

Never pass up the acceptance you already have

That's sweet. What does 15% come out to in days or lecture sections?
Usually about 12 lectures for the classes with over 80. Less in the first two blocks because there are more courses per block just with fewer lectures per course. You still have to be on campus at some point for the most part because labs are all mandatory and there are labs most days.

My inclination is that it will go well. They have been pretty organized for a first class IMO so far. We really won't know until we get in the thick of it though. I'm also sure that it will vary by clinical campus, specific rotations, etc. just like it seems to at the more established schools.

Accepted! Definitely a great school w/ great facilities (great sim lab, classrooms, etc.). And honestly, it was the most laid back interview I've had which I think speaks to the type of people at the school. A lot of places have a claim of having a laid back interview, but in each of those, it was still an interview atmosphere. Here, it was much more conversational.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Definitely a great school w/ great facilities (great sim lab, classrooms, etc.). And honestly, it was the most laid back interview I've had which I think speaks to the type of people at the school. A lot of places have a claim of having a laid back interview, but in each of those, it was still an interview atmosphere. Here, it was much more conversational.

Congrats, were you sitting on waitlist? I'm just curious.

I was told that they would be once all interviews were done, and I believe they ended last week.
Interesting! They should give everyone a number in line then. So we know how low or high we fall in each tier

Ah, pretty cool about the within tier ranking. Still High Tier

just talked to joy (she is so sweet :)) She said that the majority of the movement will happen around May 15th. She says to stay hopeful :xf:

Hello! I am currently sitting on the high tier of the waitlist as well! I have been trying to respond to Ms. Henderson's emails as soon as she sends them. Has anyone who has sent a reply ever received anything back from her? I just want to make sure they are making it. Thanks!

Hello! I am currently sitting on the high tier of the waitlist as well! I have been trying to respond to Ms. Henderson's emails as soon as she sends them. Has anyone who has sent a reply ever received anything back from her? I just want to make sure they are making it. Thanks!

I haven't gotten anything in return. My understanding of the email thing was to weed out applicants on the WL who are no longer interested in attending CUSOM, I think its mainly to benefit Joy. I wouldn't sweat it!

I was interviewed in late March, on waitlist right afterwards and was accepted two weeks later. I declined my acceptance recently (I surely hope it goes to one of y'all).

I absolutely have nothing negative to say about Campbell, super kind faculty members, great facilities and overall a super wonderful location to study medicine. I actually felt two of my interviews ended prematurely due to the time they allotted to each interview because the conversations were actually fun for me and the interviewers. It was very difficult for me to relinquish my seat because everyone was so nice and helpful.

Best wishes to all of y'all!

Can any accepted student or current student as CUSOM shed some light on their tuition for 2015-2016? I can see their tuition from last year which was $40.5k, and was curious if this has gone up and by how much? and what the $5k in fee's entailed.

Thanks

Can any accepted student or current student as CUSOM shed some light on their tuition for 2015-2016? I can see their tuition from last year which was $40.5k, and was curious if this has gone up and by how much? and what the $5k in fee's entailed.

Thanks

Total tuition for 15-16 year is $42.6k. Then there is a total of $1.5k in fees (administration) and a $190 parking pass.

If you're on the waitlist, be sure to email Joy every week to let her know you're still interested.

:eek: I thought she only wanted those 'interest emails' in response to those that she sends to us? if that makes sense. I haven't been sending a weekly email, only when I receive a WL update from her. Oh no.. she thinks I'm no longer interested!

I sincerely doubt this... Joy likely gets a million emails a day. She pretty much never responded to mine. If you're still getting the wait list email, I'm sure you're fine.

Has anyone come off the waitlist yet, also anyone recieve an waitlist ranking email recently? The last update waitlist email I recieved was over 2 weeks ago so wondering if others are the same

I haven't received an update email in 2 weeks either. Could this be because they stopped interviews and we're so close to the deadline for those who were accepted into multiple schools to pick one? Does anyone know what the odds of being called off the waitlist are for someone in the middle tier?

I called a few days ago, they're currently working on a final ranking

Ah home stretch hopefully we all hear positive news regarding movement. MedNation where might you have put a deposit down in case CUSOM doesn't work out?

Has anyone come off the waitlist yet, also anyone recieve an waitlist ranking email recently? The last update waitlist email I recieved was over 2 weeks ago so wondering if others are the same

Came off the WL earlier in April. GL everyone!