Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing tomorrow....extremely excited having seen all of the positive things on here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You guys are making me SOOO excited to interview here!! Thanks for the insight @Mat the coolcat @hopefulERdoc251

Like many others, I came into the interview thinking CUSOM is not going to be on the top of my list. After my interview, I was thoroughly impressed! I would rank it my top three choice. If I get that scholarship it would become my number 1. It would become the cheapest medical school for me to attend.

I love the school and the atmosphere it portrays. Even the students giving the tours seem very happy with the school, unlike some of the other interviews I've been in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am scheduled for an interview October 13th (Anyone else?). I am from out of state and would like to get some input from those who have interviewed already or MS1's about some logistics.

1. Where is the best place to stay over night? Is there a particular hotel or air bnb you recommend?
2. I will also be flying into Raleigh International and have never rented a car before. Which company do you recommend or did you use when you interviewed at CUSOM.
3. Is there parking on campus during the interview so that I may be able to park the car rental?

4.* Any great places to eat while I am out here in NC? =)

Last edited:
I am scheduled for an interview October 13th (Anyone else?). I am from out of state and would like to get some input from those who have interviewed already or MS1's about some logistics.

1. Where is the best place to stay over night? Is there a particular hotel or air bnb you recommend?
2. I will also be flying into Raleigh International and have never rented a car before. Which company do you recommend or did you use when you interviewed at CUSOM.
3. Is there parking on campus during the interview so that I may be able to park the car rental?

1. I stayed at microtel inn (5 minutes from campus)
2. I used enterprise and found the price to be good altough I didnt take any of the insurance they offered.
3. In the interview invite email there is a parking pass you can print.
4. Theres a sports bar right beside mircrotel inn which was good.

Hope that helps and goodluck to you

I just got an interview invite this morning! How long did it take for most of you to hear back about scheduling after getting the initial email?

Reactions: 1 users
If you get accepted you should be notified by Wednesday if you interviewed Monday. If you were interviewed Tuesday you should be notified by Thursday if accepted. If you don't get a call by then you will get an email about a rejection.

If you get accepted you should be notified by Wednesday if you interviewed Monday. If you were interviewed Tuesday you should be notified by Thursday.

Source? / woooot! Only a few more hours of anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did it go??

It went well. I was very happy with the visit and could really see myself there. Can't say I got the same vibe from my other II.

Me and all the people I know who were accepted.

Unless they were delayed. I was notified Wednesday morning as with the people from my group who were accepted.

Guess that's a pretty sound one ;)

But don't take what I said as truth. They could be swamped now and may wait until tomorrow to give their decision.
Have we heard from anyone who interviewed this past week?? I didn't see any 'accepted' posts yesterday and today is Thursday.

Just got an email for my application being complete and 7 minutes letter an Interview Invite!!! I am so excited to interview here, its my dream school, and I love North Carolina!! Does anyone know how long it takes to recieve a date??

There is a brewing company called Aviator in Fuquay Varina, and I actually ate there once and it was amazing!!

I wouldn't worry too much about if we haven't heard back from the interview. It's the middle of the application cycle and the director of admissions did tell us that there was a good chance we'd (the Monday group) would hear back Thursday at the earliest, and Friday at the latest.

Question about Merit Based Scholarships: I checked online for the Presidential scholarship qualifications and it said an MCAT above 30 and a GPA above 3.5. Does everybody who is eligible for these scholarships get the opportunity to apply (write the essays...) or are a certain number of individuals invited to apply for the scholarships?

If you get accepted you should be notified by Wednesday if you interviewed Monday. If you were interviewed Tuesday you should be notified by Thursday if accepted. If you don't get a call by then you will get an email about a rejection.

Wait are you talking about the group who interviewed this Monday (September 14th)? I'm very worried now :(

Wait are you talking about the group who interviewed this Monday (September 14th)? I'm very worried now :(

My group received acceptances on Wednesday and we interviewed Monday. Those who didn't get accepted got a rejection email later in the week (around Friday.) We were the second week to interview, so things may not be as hectic as now. However, they will only call you if you were accepted.

Deep breath, man. They said "by fri". Start aweating it on Sat.

Question about Merit Based Scholarships: I checked online for the Presidential scholarship qualifications and it said an MCAT above 30 and a GPA above 3.5. Does everybody who is eligible for these scholarships get the opportunity to apply (write the essays...) or are a certain number of individuals invited to apply for the scholarships?
No. Not everyone that meets those requirements actually gets an invitation to write the essay for the scholarships. Not only do you have to meet those academic requirements but you also have to do a good job during the interviews (each interviewer rates how well you performed) and the people with the tops scores for the interview as well as GPA and Mcat will get a notification in the mail to submit an essay.

No. Not everyone that meets those requirements actually gets an invitation to write the essay for the scholarships. Not only do you have to meet those academic requirements but you also have to do a good job during the interviews (each interviewer rates how well you performed) and the people with the tops scores for the interview as well as GPA and Mcat will get a notification in the mail to submit an essay.

This is especially true. I got invited for the Dean's scholarship, although my stats qualify me for the Presidential. Apparently, your interview rank comes first before your stats do. If you do especially well in your interview, they will invite you to apply for the Merit Based Scholarship. The better interview you have, the higher you are ranked for the Merit Based Scholarship.

I think very few applicants actually get these scholarships. If they base it off stats, than most of the accepted applicants would have gotten a scholarship because all you need is a 3.5 GPA (or a 30+ MCAT) to get the Dean's.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got the call!!!!!! This is so real I'm literally numb

Reactions: 4 users
Accccccccccccccceeeeepppppteeeeedddd

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to all! I'm most likely coming here so we have lots of time to get to know each other. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone who have been accepted! I am a second year student here at CUSOM. If any of you have any questions or concerns, send them my way and hopefully I will be able to help!

For all those accepted, can yall tell me how the interviewing was and what questions they asked u? Also what were your stats, I just got the interview invite and this school is at the top of my list

For all those accepted, can yall tell me how the interviewing was and what questions they asked u? Also what were your stats, I just got the interview invite and this school is at the top of my list

Interviewing was pretty laid back. They ask generic questions like Why DO? What makes a leader? Etc...One asked me why I didn't apply MD. Know your application pretty well and be prepared to explain what you have done when they ask. Show interest that you are okay with the area you are in "rural/suburban," etc.

Oh, and make sure you give insightful, thoughtful answers. My last interviewer threw me curveballs, and I had to think a bit before answering without looking like an idiot. He asked questions like, what would you do to fix the healthcare system if you had $100 million?

I don't want to give you any pressure, but your performance at the interview can potentially land you some merit scholarships worth $10,000 a year or $20,000 per year, depending on your answers and your stats.

Congratulations to those of you who are accepted! :) Based on your interview performances, what would you say that helped you the most with your acceptances?

Congratulations to those of you who are accepted! :) Based on your interview performances, what would you say that helped you the most with your acceptances?

Just be calm and collected and don't sound robotic! Be natural in your responses.

If you are at the interview stage you've made it pretty darn far so be confident. Don't be a weirdo and if you can hold a friendly conversation and answer questions in a thoughtful manner you've done everything you can. A lot of schools will do a final review of your app and your interview performance and make a decision.
Out of your hands from there, cross those fingers and hope for the best.

Just be calm and collected and don't sound robotic! Be natural in your responses.

Also, I'm sure you're aware of the interview feedback area of sdn. Use that for practice questions for each school you go to interview at. (Practice in the mirror)... I would say 80% of questions from my interviews so far have been why DO? Why medicine? Why our school? And app related questions.

Edit: sorry mathnerd I quoted the wrong post

Also, I'm sure you're aware of the interview feedback area of sdn. Use that for practice questions for each school you go to interview at. (Practice in the mirror)... I would say 80% of questions from my interviews so far have been why DO? Why medicine? Why our school? And app related questions.

Edit: sorry mathnerd I quoted the wrong post
Thanks!! Congrats again!! :D

It seems like this school rejects a lot of people post interview. Has anyone been waitlisted yet?

It seems like this school rejects a lot of people post interview. Has anyone been waitlisted yet?

From last year's thread they don't waitlist until all the acceptances have been given out. They either accept or reject until class is full.

How did you feel you did at your interview?

Well ok until now :p. I guess my answers about why cusom where too me oriented I expanded on why I liked the teaching style and facilities and how I thought it would be a really high quality education....guess they were looking more for helpong NC etc. I had a good answer for why rural and I think I did elsewhere. I did have one oops, but I think I fixed it on a "what will be special about your practice" question.

Well ok until now :p. I guess my answers about why cusom where too me oriented I expanded on why I liked the teaching style and facilities and how I thought it would be a really high quality education....guess they were looking more for helpong NC etc. I had a good answer for why rural and I think I did elsewhere. I did have one oops, but I think I fixed it on a "what will be special about your practice" question.

And people keep making the same mistake when it's already noted by many posters besides me that this school is very mission oriented. Take the rejection with strides. Reflect on your performance and do better on the next one. For every answer in the interview, posters need to link it to why you will stay in NC and what you can offer to Campbell and the local community.

I said those things in my interview too. I didn't say specifically I wanted to stay in NC, but I was open to the idea since I think it would be a great place to raise a family. Only one interviewer asked me about staying in NC, and it was just a brief statement. I focused mainly on the medical mission trips this school offered. What was your oops on?

I said those things in my interview too. I didn't say specifically I wanted to stay in NC, but I was open to the idea since I think it would be a great place to raise a family. Only one interviewer asked me about staying in NC, and it was just a brief statement. I focused mainly on the medical mission trips this school offered. What was your oops on?

That focus on medical mission trips probably helps your case a ton dispelling the initial bias of you possibly using them as a backup. When schools ask for why us, they are usually asking for specifics that they think distinguish them from other schools. Superficial answers like teaching style and facility quality can be applied to other schools. Then, they want you to back it up with personal experience. Yes, they were right when they want to you to be yourself.