Can I still apply and my chances...???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hondo55

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I would like to apply to dental school. Unfortunately when I finally decide this I find myself sitting on the application deadline bubble. If I got in my application and materials by February 1, would I be able to get in to places? I have a 3.75 gpa and have not taken the DAT yet which I could do in the next few weeks. I feel like I am a good applicat, but I am not sure about my chances given the late application. However, I do not want to put it off until the next cycle. Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

your gpa is good, however, if you have not started studying for the DAT yet I personally would not rush to try and take it in the next few weeks. But technically if you get the application into aadsas by the schools' application deadline you could get in, though many schools are already pretty much full or already have full interview schedules. so i guess it depends how picky you are about where you go and how you feel about shelling out a lot of money when there is a chance you wouldn't get in this year. if school and money are no object compared to getting in for this year, go for it, just start studying hardcore for the DAT and make sure to apply to a larger than average number of schools. also do your research and try to figure out which schools are already full or interviewing only for alternate lists.

This is pretty late in the cycle... although you do have a good GPA. My advice to you is to take your time... study hard for the DAT... and be VERY EARLY for next cycle.(submit your aadsas as soon as they post it for nexy cycle.. usually around mid may) You will have your CHOICE of schools instead of interviewing for "alternate lists" or settling for a school you don't want to go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Dr. Bear. This is very late in the application cycle. You're better off taking your time and study for the DAT and do it in one shot. Turn in your application first day they open up AADSAS and you'd have a high chance of being admitted.

Dental schools are now being a bit more picky if you apply now. Your chances aren't as high than if you apply during the next cycle.

Put your wallet on lockdown and wait till May. You'll be early and you'll be richer and probably much happier :) It would be a big gamble to apply now, one that's not in your favor at this point, unfortunately.