Can someone please explain the situation about international applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT_IS_ROUGH

Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Hope you are all doing well and my best wishes for Turkey day! As a current applicant with non-citizen status I've always wondered how we are evaluated differently/similarly in the application process versus domestic applicants. While my cycle has been fortunately decent so far, I really want to start a thread and gather some expert opinion for my fellow international applicants and future prospective students.

1. One question I had is based on Med Ed's post I saw today.
Sorry, I meant residency as in Green Card. I noticed in an earlier post of your that you are/were an international students, which would impact your odds significantly.
Specifically, how does being an international student impact my odd, especially at the schools that specifically states "we evaluate everyone with the same criteria?" Is that statement even true? I know this is extremely school specific, so if any Adcoms can share a little bit about their schools' policy it would be very helpful.

2. For the schools that do prefer US citizens, is there such a ladder of evaluation as Instate>OOS>Int'l? Is this true even for T20 schools?

3. Is it reliable to build a schoolist based on MSAR data (how many internationals interviewed vs accepted?) Is there more resource we can use to choose schools wisely when applying?

4. Is funding the determinant for a school to decide whether accepting international students this year?

I understand there are a lot of questions here. So I am very grateful for you to read this far. Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now there are only 44 (out of 156) MD schools that say that they consider international applicants.
Many of them matriculate very few. The MSAR is your best source of information.
The mission-based schools are the best bet (but only if you fit the mission).
Funding is quite limited at many of these schools. Some require that internationals provide an escrow account with a sufficient sum to cover COA.
I am told that there are 16 DO schools that consider international applicants.
Applying to Medical School as an International Applicant

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I went to the MSAR see if things were any different this year.
Of the first 6 schools that consider internationals (in alphabetical order), four matriculated none and the other two matriculated 5 and 7 respectively.
I recommend that international applicants identify the 44 schools in MSAR, eliminate those that matriculate 2 or less (these are often internal candidates), and apply to the rest if their stats and mission are a fit.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the MSAR see if things were any different this year.
Of the first 6 schools that consider internationals (in alphabetical order), four matriculated none and the other two matriculated 5 and 7 respectively.
I recommend that international applicants identify the 44 schools in MSAR, eliminate those that matriculate 2 or less (these are often internal candidates), and apply to the rest if their stats and mission are a fit.
Thanks for double checking! I guess at the end of the day it's still a numbers game. I really wish schools can be more transparent about whether they are truly accepting international students or not, so that we are not blindly throwing money into secondaries that don't stand a chance. Alas....

Thanks for double checking! I guess at the end of the day it's still a numbers game. I really wish schools can be more transparent about whether they are truly accepting international students or not, so that we are not blindly throwing money into secondaries that don't stand a chance. Alas....
No applicant should throw money blindly. Use the most reliable source (MSAR) to make sound decisions.

Reactions: 4 users