Can We Stop The "I'm Better Than You" Signature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is so classic of our generation. You feel triggered because someone else's success or preference makes you feel not great about yourself, and so everyone else must change to conform to your preferences so your feelings are not hurt. That's not how adults respond to things.

Turn off signatures and move on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
LOL i like those signatures tbh. All of them that I have seen so far are better than mine in every way. Don't let it discourage you bro! We got this bull****. Remember that your app is more than just scores...

P.S. my LizzyM is around a 64.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is so classic of our generation. You feel triggered because someone else's success or preference makes you feel not great about yourself, and so everyone else must change to conform to your preferences so your feelings are not hurt. That's not how adults respond to things.

Turn off signatures and move on.

It's equally "classic of our generation" to try broadcasting to as many people as possible anything significant in your life. Snapchat + Facebook post about your great MCAT score and your med school acceptances. Glorifying your great stats on a public forum on here or reddit. This argument is so boring + overdone.

My point: if you want to write about how great your cycle's going, write in the school thread that you're applying to or make an MD apps.

If those people bother you so much, click on the poster's name and then click ignore on the right side of the pop-up. Easy-peasy.

I wrote this post this morning because a friend I was with last night (who does not have an account + just reads posts on here) mentioned it while we were getting a drink. I agreed with her completely. It is an annoying trend. I don't believe it's "offensive" or truly "bothersome".

There is no good reason to advertise how great you are as an applicant with your signature. As I have written, humility should be the standard of behavior on this website. If you want to give people insight into your scores, it is best to use mdapps.

*edit* Not trying to be disrespectful to you, Liz. Just responding.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's equally "classic of our generation" to try broadcasting to as many people as possible anything significant in your life. Snapchat + Facebook post about your great MCAT score and your med school acceptances. Glorifying your great stats on a public forum on here or reddit. This argument is so boring + overdone.

My point: if you want to write about how great your cycle's going, write in the school thread that you're applying to or make an MD apps.

I wrote this post this morning because a friend I was with last night (who does not have an account + just reads posts on here) mentioned it while we were getting a drink. I agreed with her completely. It is an annoying trend. I don't believe it's "offensive" or truly "bothersome".

There is no good reason to advertise how great you are as an applicant with your signature. As I have written, humility should be the standard of behavior on this website. If you want to give people insight into your scores, it is best to use mdapps.

Except that you don't get to control what other people do because it bothers you. Get over yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Except that you don't get to control what other people do because it bothers you. Get over yourself.

I'm not controlling anyone.... as I have written for the, I don't know, 10th time... we should make it a thing of the past.

No ban hammer. No "you have to". No "I demand everyone do what I say".

Free country. You can be the world's biggest jerk on the internet if you want to! Personally, with the help of this post, I am hoping to establish it as a cultural SDN faux pas. Nothing more.

The only humblebragging that bothers me is when someone posts in a school specific thread that they were rejected, and someone else responds "oh thank god I was complete before then, I'm still safe. Also I rlly fit the schools mission etc" like ok dude lol I'm so happy 4 u

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not controlling anyone.... as I have written for the, I don't know, 10th time... we should make it a thing of the past.

No ban hammer. No "you have to". No "I demand everyone do what I say".

Free country. You can be the world's biggest jerk on the internet if you want to! Personally, with the help of this post, I am hoping to establish it as a cultural SDN faux pas. Nothing more.

I felt bad for like a solid 5 minutes, but you're being a little ridiculous. Sharing your success doesn't make you a jerk and the vast majority of people I've seen with similar signatures are open to questions and offer valuable feedback on secondaries and interview prep.

I'm open about everything on here and not just the positive things. I took the MCAT 3 times. I've applied in Texas 3 times (dumb, I know) and on AMCAS 2 times.

I'm finally seeing all the work pay off and I'm ecstatic and have gotten nothing but encouragement as a result of my sharing.

Reactions: 8 users
I felt bad for like a solid 5 minutes, but you're being a little ridiculous. Sharing your success doesn't make you a jerk and the vast majority of people I've seen with similar signatures are open to questions and offer valuable feedback on secondaries and interview prep.

I'm open about everything on here and not just the positive things. I took the MCAT 3 times. I've applied in Texas 3 times and on AMCAS 2 times.

I'm finAlly seeing all the work pay off and I'm ecstatic and have gotten nothing but encouragement as a result of my sharing.
Oh no, showing your stats doesn't make you a jerk. Writing like that guy does.

That's fine if you don't agree!

Except sigs don't show up if you're not logged in...

I agree with you op, premeds who do this are so insecure

GPA: 3.9 // MCAT 39 // 10 Apps Submitted // 10 Secondaries // 10 II // 10 Acceptances // 0 Rejections

Hmmm now I'm curious...

I wonder who has the SDN record for the most successful application season??

Ie has anyone ever gone 20 for 20?? (20 applications and 20 acceptances).

TBH, a lot of people find it easier to post their stats on here instead of on MDapps simply because it's easier than having to click the MDapps button. Often times I click mdapps and an error page shows up. I understand you find it annoying, but not everyone does it seems.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tl;dr for anyone tuning in (paraphrasing OP here) - "It's ok to put your stats in your signature, unless they are good."

I'm open about everything on here and not just the positive things. I took the MCAT 3 times. I've applied in Texas 3 times (dumb, I know) and on AMCAS 2 times.

I'm finally seeing all the work pay off and I'm ecstatic and have gotten nothing but encouragement as a result of my sharing.

Off topic here, but just wanted to say congrats on your success and persistence!

Reactions: 5 users
I personally find the sigs really helpful as a future applicant. :) Also as someone else mentioned when people mention their IIs a lot of people follow up asking what their stats are...it's just easier for some people to have it listed as part of their sig.

If reading about someone else's success offends you so much I feel like that's more a reflection of your insecurities than anything else.

Hmmm now I'm curious...

@doctorbob23 is killing it this cycle

The tl;dr for anyone tuning in (paraphrasing OP here) - "It's ok to put your stats in your signature, unless they are good."

Off topic here, but just wanted to say congrats on your success and persistence!

Thanks, homie. Feels surreal.

Agreed, really annoyed when people put their interviews in their sig

That's not my tl;dr.... It's "post your stats on mdapps or in the thread of schools you're applying to. Otherwise, shut up."

Being honest doesn't make me a jerk. You're just entitled. Own it and move on.
Entitled to advocating for humility. Amen.

That's not my tl;dr.... It's "post your stats on mdapps or in the thread of schools you're applying to. Otherwise, shut up."

Except you don't control what people do...so get over yourself.

Entitled to advocating for humility. Amen.

It's an internet forum. Posting stats/interviews/acceptances helps future applicants.

This is why my generation sucks. Cause everybody walks around getting triggered by stupid things. Guess what? A lot of people in this world are flat out better than you, and that okay. Should they brag about it? I guess its their right to, so who cares if the exercise that right. The sooner everybody realizes that everybody is created equal, BUT WE ARE NOT EQUAL because we all distinguish ourselves for better or worse the world will be much less insecure and we won't have to listen to triggered people whine anymore.

Being honest doesn't make me a jerk. You're just entitled. Own it and move on.
Entitled to advocating for humility. Ame
This is why my generation sucks. Cause everybody walks around getting triggered by stupid things. Guess what? A lot of people in this world are flat out better than you, and that okay. Should they brag about it? I guess its their right to, so who cares if the exercise that right. The sooner everybody realizes that everybody is created equal, BUT WE ARE NOT EQUAL because we all distinguish ourselves for better or worse the world will be much less insecure and we won't have to listen to triggered people whine anymore.

I'm not triggered... just saying it's obnoxious.

I thought we were devoting the whole thread to rustling the OP's jimmies.

Rustle away.

Look I get it. I'm one of those douchey asshats that has a signature like that. But you know what? I'm proud of what I'm able to accomplish. This isn't facebook. This is literally a premed forum and if it bothers you that premeds are posting premed related things in their premed signature then I have no idea what to tell you. A valuable lesson in life is being able to look at other people's successes, be happy for them, and move on. If my signature really upsets you that much that you had to make a post about how we should stop "bragging" to complete strangers, then maybe you need to address an underlying issue.

Do you think it's easy for me, even with 15 II, to talk to other premeds that have II at my top choice while I don't? Do I cry to them and say "omg just stop telling me! stop humble bragging you dingus!"

Do you think when my friend got a 526 on his MCAT I got mad at him for "humble bragging" to me? No, I was SO ****ing psyched and we danced and went out for drinks and even though he died of alcohol poisoning later that night, I wouldn't have traded his successes for anything. I am SO proud of him and I can't wait for him to get accepted to Harvard. Will I? **** no, but who cares. His successes != my failures.

And if it's really that triggering to you then unmark the signatures on comments and problem solved. Stop trying to change other people's behaviors based on your own feelings.

I feel your pain my friend...

I got interviews from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD but never got one from Stanford. Every time my premed friends talked about their Stanford interviews and living in sunny Palo Alto I had to try and hold back the tears. It wasn't just the pain of being rejected by my top choice school (I still love you Stanford) but also the overwhelming feeling of shame because "I just wasn't good enough." Some people will never understand.

They say time heals all wounds, but the scars remain.

Reactions: 6 users
Response to Post #70:
I'm not advocating any "safe spaces". This is a public forum. I'm advocating for humility being our standard of behavior.

I'm not arguing everyone who does a sig. like this is doing anything inherently wrong... it's just more often than not, it's much less helpful than it is a put-off (especially to the general public who aren't active users).

Again, humility should be our standard as future physicians

From the collective of these, the jist I got was that [humility = don't talk about being good (in OPs world)], which if true would mean that you are only allowed to talk about when you're not doing so great.

No one is oppressing you by cataloging their achievements towards career goals. When people put stats in their signature, even if they do not mean it, they are helping future/current applicants in knowing what type of person this information is coming from. So whether or not it is placed for their egos; the end result is a benefit to everyone on this forum.

I feel your pain my friend...

I got interviews from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD but never got one from Stanford. Every time my premed friends talked about their Stanford interviews and living in sunny Palo Alto I had to try and hold back the tears. It wasn't just the pain of being rejected by my top choice school (I still love you Stanford) but also the overwhelming feeling of shame because "I just wasn't good enough." Some people will never understand.

They say time heals all wounds, but the scars remain.
lol

No one is oppressing you by cataloging their achievements towards career goals. When people put stats in their signature, even if they do not mean it, they are helping future/current applicants in knowing what type of person this information is coming from. So whether or not it is placed for their egos; the end result is a benefit to everyone on this forum.

THIS.

Response to Post #70:

From the collective of these, the jist I got was that [humility = don't talk about being good (in OPs world)], which if true would mean that you are only allowed to talk about when you're not doing so great.

Response to Post #70:

I didn't say I was oppressed. Lol some of you guys are really going off tangent here.

Anyway, if you argue that it's super helpful for future applicants, then so be it. I'll sit here in my "save it for mdapps + school threads camp."

I thought we were devoting the whole thread to rustling the OP's jimmies.
I'm honestly shocked at how few trolls we apparently have

I didn't say I was oppressed. Lol some of you guys are really going off tangent here.

Anyway, if you argue that it's super helpful for future applicants, then so be it. I'll sit here in my "save it for mdapps + school threads camp."
Posting your stats in every single school thread you apply to is a lot more work (for many of us 30 posts or more) than just throwing it in your signature, and no one bothers checking MDApps these days.

When people mark that they are "(Accepted)" on their bio, does that offend you as well? Should applicants just wait till they're med students to change their status so they don't offend other applicants?

You're shocked. I'm just disappointed.
Eh, I'd rather not cringe at all of the out-of-place memes. Everyone wants to be a troll nowadays since they became the latest media boogeymen. The vast majority suck at it. Preallo trolls would probably suck at it too.

Nope. It doesn't. That's great news.

As per the example I wrote about before, my friend getting into Harvard... wohoo! Break out the champagne. Awesome!

Friend gets into HMS and signs everything he writes with MCAT 522, 4.0, PUBLISHED... I would say he's being obnoxious.

No one should be hated, banned, trolled, etc., for posting their stats in their sig... I'm just letting them know it's annoying for many.

As per the example I wrote about before, my friend getting into Harvard... wohoo! Break out the champagne. Awesome!

Friend gets into HMS and signs everything he writes with MCAT 522, 4.0, PUBLISHED... I would say he's being obnoxious.

No one should be hated, banned, trolled, etc., for posting their stats in their sig... I'm just letting them know it's annoying for many.

But when someone posts their stats and interviews/acceptances it helps future applicants get an idea of where they should apply/be competitive.

If it's annoying for you turn off their sigs/put them on ignore. It seems like this is more your issue, not theirs.

Reactions: 2 users
I think posters here are misunderstanding the OP's argument. He's not saying "stop posting signatures, because seeing them bothers me". In that case, simply turning them off would solve the problem.
What he's saying is that posting signatures is an obnoxious way of bragging and doesn't belong in this part of the forum. It's a statement about proper conduct. Telling him to "turn off signatures" doesn't even address the concern.

What he's saying is that posting signatures is an obnoxious way of bragging and doesn't belong in this part of the forum. It's a statement about proper conduct. Telling him to "turn off signatures" doesn't even address the concern.

Bragging or not, it helps future applicants.

Signing his emails with that would be obnoxious. Posting on a PRE-MED forum aimed at helping pre-meds get into medical school? Really not that obnoxious. Helpful, even.

This whole "better than you" deal seems to be more an issue with the mindset of the reader rather than the mindset of the poster. It's obnoxious to be asked time after time "what are your stats?" during an app cycle when you're active in the school-specific discussions, and it's just simpler to throw it in the signature. Less about bragging, more about giving context to posts about the application cycle.

Reactions: 12 users
Hmmm now I'm curious...

It can't be 20 apps to just anywhere though. It has to be to the *right* places

The cycle that would most impress SDN:

4.0/528 ::/:: Apps: 11 (only to top 10 schools and one safety, aka #11). Secondaries: 11 / II: 11 / attended: 11 / Acceptances: 11 ~~~~rejected all of them for ibanking position at Goldman

Signing his emails with that would be obnoxious. Posting on a PRE-MED forum aimed at helping pre-meds get into medical school? Really not that obnoxious. Helpful, even.

This whole "better than you" deal seems to be more an issue with the mindset of the reader rather than the mindset of the poster. It's obnoxious to be asked time after time "what are your stats?" during an app cycle when you're active in the school-specific discussions, and it's just simpler to throw it in the signature. Less about bragging, more about giving context to posts about the application cycle.

To each his own

I think posters here are misunderstanding the OP's argument. He's not saying "stop posting signatures, because seeing them bothers me". In that case, simply turning them off would solve the problem.

:highfive:

1. If it bothers you, feel free to turn off the ability to view people's signatures.

2. If it bothers other people, they can do the same. And if they don't have an account, the signatures don't show up anyway.

3. Members are free to have whatever they want in their signatures as long as it doesn't violate the TOS.

4. I take it you have never gone through the application cycle because literally as soon as you post "II!!!" in any school specific thread, the next response will, invariably, be "Awesome!!! Stats????" (and also, "when were you complete?" but that's not the issue here)

5. People are allowed to be proud of their accomplishments, and when people are proud of other people's accomplishments too, it makes the community better, not worse.

6. I have a lot of things I want to write here but I think it's best to leave it at that for now

Reactions: 15 users
1. If it bothers you, feel free to turn off the ability to view people's signatures.

2. If it bothers other people, they can do the same. And if they don't have an account, the signatures don't show up anyway.

3. Members are free to have whatever they want in their signatures as long as it doesn't violate the TOS.

4. I take it you have never gone through the application cycle because literally as soon as you post "II!!!" in any school specific thread, the next response will, invariably, be "Awesome!!! Stats????" (and also, "when were you complete?" but that's not the issue here)

5. People are allowed to be proud of their accomplishments, and when people are proud of other people's accomplishments too, it makes the community better, not worse.

6. I have a lot of things I want to write here but I think it's best to leave it at that for now

1/2. Sure
3. Didn't say it did!
4. I do!!! I'm say save those posts for school-specific threads/mdapps!
5. Sure are.
6. Mhm!

I understand where OP is coming from but so many people ask the same dam question "Stats????" I am so sorry but Its annoying. Premeds are famous for bragging about their stats, including me and probably you!!! Pointless thread, and its also pointless to argue with premeds :D

Strange, those stats help me. I get to know each individual stats and their likelihood of getting in.
Like I browse through WAMC just to see how much ECs I would need, MCAT score I need and what GPA I need to maintain.
It helps me to broaden my scopes a bit. It's free MSAR .. with more details. I have bought MSAR, but hey, those individual stats are nice to look at.