Can We Stop The "I'm Better Than You" Signature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd be surprised if even 20% of people of this site are honest with their stats/II/etc.

I agree. There are a lot of liars here on these forums. We have no reason to believe them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes I wonder how people on SDN lack such fundamental social skills... I just imagine OP sitting at his computer hitting himself in frustration over people posting their stats. It's literally a list of numbers from anonymous people on a website. How are you bothered by this?

I'd be surprised if even 20% of people of this site are honest with their stats/II/etc.

To be fair I don't think OP is that bothered by it. He's just saying he thinks it's in poor taste and that we (collective "we") can do better by not posting our stats in our sigs. I don't necessarily agree, as I think it helps some others and saves time in threads, but I'm certainly not going to berate OP (as others have done) for voicing his opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
To be fair I don't think OP is that bothered by it. He's just saying he thinks it's in poor taste and that we (collective "we") can do better by not posting our stats in our sigs. I don't necessarily agree, as I think it helps some others and saves time in threads, but I'm certainly not going to berate OP (as others have done) for voicing his opinion.
Thats what gets me. Does OP decide what is in good taste and what is in poor taste? He thinks that II and acceptances are bad, but Lizzy M , GPA and MCAT are ok. That wearing prestigious school clothes is ok but not sayin you scorred well on the MCAT or SAT which getting into those schools ususally signals anyway. Whats even more insulting is that he assumes that his culture applies to all groups on here where having this false sense of "humbleness" is a characteristic that every one should have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what gets me. Does OP decide what is in good taste and what is in poor taste? He thinks that II and acceptances are bad, but Lizzy M , GPA and MCAT are ok. That wearing prestigious school clothes is ok but not sayin you scorred well on the MCAT or SAT which getting into those schools ususally signals anyway. Whats even more insulting is that he assumes that his culture applies to all groups on here where having this false sense of "humbleness" is a characteristic that every one should have.

Can't OP have an opinion without people getting angry/defensive/attacking?

Reactions: 3 users
I have students who are so thin-skinned, that light passes right through them.

Sometimes I wonder how people on SDN lack such fundamental social skills... I just imagine OP sitting at his computer hitting himself in frustration over people posting their stats. It's literally a list of numbers from anonymous people on a website. How are you bothered by this?

Reactions: 6 users
I think people get offended and personal when they think other people are attempting to control their behavior and boss them around.

Is OP really doing that, though? He's not a mod. People could take their own advice and just ignore the posters that are upsetting them.

Reactions: 1 users
Is OP really doing that, though? He's not a mod. People could take their own advice and just ignore the posters that are upsetting them.

He's not. That's the problem i've been noticing in this thread. People are distorting OP's comments and attacking him personally because they are offended by these misinterpreted comments.

Reactions: 4 users
Fair enough. I imagine we could chase our tails all day long on this thread but the consensus seems to be that you're choosing to wear the bacon pants and most people think signatures are no big deal. Maybe even useful.

And I'd say you're possibly right. It may help more than hurt.

You the man, Turk.

He's not. That's the problem i've been noticing in this thread. People are distorting OP's comments and attacking him personally because they are offended by these misinterpreted comments.

May the gods grant you many years on the Earth.

I really don't think anyone has to do anything. I wasn't demanding anything, either.

My thought: "this could be seen as rude.. let's not do it."
Others' thoughts: "nah it's okay. It's not a big deal and can, even, be helpful."

That's fine. It's the people that have been all "you're such a whiny prick! Who are you to [insert rant on millennials/gas prices/skin thickness/how great my stats are]!?"

Yup. That's what I was getting at. It's okay if others don't agree with me #_#.

Last edited:
Howdy SDN,

I'm not sure how this got started, but it has become quite common for pre-med applicants to have something like this in their signatures:

GPA: 3.95 // MCAT 521 (99th %ile) // 35 Apps Submitted // 28 Secondaries // 10 II's // 4 Acceptances // 3 Rejections

With kindness and respect, I'd like to communicate to everyone that this is, quite possibly, the most audaciously obnoxious way of trying to tell our small community how great you are. If you want to record your application process, that's great! We have the website http://www.mdapplicants.com/ for that, and you are welcome to attach your profile to your avatar. Then, if someone's interested in how you're doing, she or he clicks on you, and the world gets to see how your cycle's going.

Yet, for most people (including Lurker John + Janie that use this website without making accounts), it's just a very forward way to say "look how great I am."

Yes, we are Student Doctor Network: The World's Most Neurotic Website, and we are all happy to see II's and acceptances once they happen on the specific thread of the school you have applied to. That being said, there is next-to-no benefit of wearing your acceptances & IIs on your sleeve in a public signature.

----

I'm sure most people just got caught up with the trend and are not trying to humble-brag their way to SDN renown. But, I'll be one to say... let's stop this.
Does someone actually have a signature that says "I'm better than you." ??

So does your friend actually have an account?

Confused how this just got swept aside that people without accounts can't see signatures...

Believe it or not, I did not grill her on that because I had no idea. Guess she DOES have an account!!! *Gasp*

Not really. I have II from the most prestigious McDonalds locations (the ones next to Harvard, Stanford, and Yale). those 3 pre-II rejections are my mistake. I didnt know those 3 locations actually background check their applicants lol
but, I'd be VERY offended if someone got an II from Burger King and put it as their signature. I didnt even apply to BK because I didnt meet their stringent CARS and LOR requirements
SMH I hate when I get spam mail from Wendys asking if I want to work there? Or even worse, when caribbean McDonalds' email me asking me to join, like, how'd you get my e-mail???

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the people that have been all "you're such a whiny prick! Who are you to [insert rant on millennials/gas prices/skin thickness/how great my stats are]!?"

And that should immediately stop. We are all adults here in a professional forum so it's basic decency to politely acknowledge the concerns raised and respond gently and constructively to show how these concerns can be alleviated. Fine to disagree. Totally unwarranted for personal attacks, and the random rants on millennials in pg. 2 were unnecessary and uncalled for.

I am curious of what you expect those people to say when asked where they goes schools. Isn't common, at least in group interviews, people start conversations with question like, where are you from or where do you go school? How exactly did they brag about where they went school? like, I go to Harvard, oh, btw, Harvard is the most amazing school in the world and yeah the hardest school to get in, blah blah?

Answering "Harvard" or "I'm from X but went to school in Boston" are acceptable. What's not acceptable is to wear it on your sleeve and have it be the first thing out of your mouth. Or starting off with "I went to Harvard, where did you go?"

Answering "Harvard" or "I'm from X but went to school in Boston" are acceptable. What's not acceptable is to wear it on your sleeve and have it be the first thing out of your mouth. Or starting off with "I went to Harvard, where did you go?"

You can tell me that you went to harvard. I just think it's weird that people try to tiptoe around it but maybe they had people get mad? I don't know.

I've been off SDN for about a month now and came back to visit only to stumble on this thread. And honestly, it irks me. It bothers me a lot that people can't anonymously post their stats and their interviews/acceptances online without strangers on the opposite coast getting ticked off by the "humble brag."

Being a pre-med is really difficult. It's stressful, we study long hours, we sometimes sacrifice our social lives, and we put in whatever crazy effort we have to in order to craft an application that will decide whether or not we get to live our dream. And in the end, hopefully we do. But the point is, a lot of us probably do work harder than your average college Joe. Our acquaintances don't understand our anxious obsession over grades and scores and timelines and the quality of our personal statements. So, to a certain extent, SDN is the only place where many of us get to say, "Hey, I worked super hard and it's actually paying off. The stars are actually aligning for me!" And I don't see anything wrong with that. Posting your interviews and acceptances in your signature does not mean that you are belittling someone else's achievements or minimizing the hard work that unsuccessful applicants invested. It just means that you are happy that you have 23 interview invitations (shoutout to doctorbob), and that you are closer to reaching your own goals. This is the internet. People need to be able to share their happiness freely, particularly if they do so in such a subtle way as putting a little note of it in their SDN signature.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: 12 users
@To be MD an easy solution is to stop visiting premed forums. As you said many times, SDN is a public forum. Therefore people can do whatever they want as long as it is within forum rules. Suggesting for them to go out of their way to create something just to appease your insecurities is just silly.

They worked hard for what they accomplished. Why shouldn't they put it on a pedestal? As others suggested if you don't like it, browse on a mobile device, put them on ignore, or stop coming this website.

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of saying people shouldn't chew with their mouth open in public. Sure, it's annoying and inconsiderate to others, but you really have no right to tell them what they should and shouldn't do in a public setting.

@To be MD an easy solution is to stop visiting premed forums. As you said many times, SDN is a public forum. Therefore people can do whatever they want as long as it is within forum rules. Suggesting for them to go out of their way to create something just to appease your insecurities is just silly.

They worked hard for what they accomplished. Why shouldn't they put it on a pedestal? As others suggested if you don't like it, browse on a mobile device, put them on ignore, or stop coming this website.

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of saying people shouldn't chew with their mouth open in public. Sure, it's annoying and inconsiderate to others, but you really have no right to tell them what they should and shouldn't do in a public setting.
Yeah. People shouldn't chew with their mouth open in public. You got it. Shouldn't shout out where how many schools they've been accepted to or how smart they are either.

It's just a matter of common manners not to be showy. If you don't agree with me, that is quite alright.

I had my stats and IIs in my signature. I have a 501 MCAT (nothing to brag about) but I did it to provide info for underdogs (or anyone) who wanted to compare apps with me and/or reach out with questions. JS - Some people really do post stats to be helpful.

Reactions: 7 users
I had my stats and IIs in my signature. I have a 501 MCAT (nothing to brag about) but I did it to provide info for underdogs (or anyone) who wanted to compare apps with me and/or reach out with questions. JS - Some people really do post stats to be helpful.

That's great. You do you.

Cringe!!!!

Edit: Wow, you deleted your whole cringey rant! Now I wish I had saved it. :(

1) The "I'm better than you" signature is helpful to current and future applicants
2) It's more convenient than responding to stats requests over and over, and more effective than most mdapps profiles
3) It lets people display the fruits of their hard work, which they've earned the right to be proud of
4) If you have a problem with it, you don't have to read it

/thread please?

Reactions: 2 users
Quick/short summary plz

He started out by quoting your post about acting like professionals. Then he responded with all this stuff like "Oh, please! We're not all thinned skinned babies who throw tantrums like a diabetic patient who wants his candy" or something like that. And he used the word "professional" in rainbow colors, which must have taken like ten minutes to format. And then went on about how he acts like a professional because he gets paid like one and started talking about working at CVS for some reason. And I think there was a complaint in there about people who say they get jobs during gap year because they need money but I didn't really follow. Then he closed out with a paragraph complaining about reddit. It was a masterpiece of disjointed ranting. Very emotional.

1) The "I'm better than you" signature is helpful to current and future applicants
2) It's more convenient than responding to stats requests over and over, and more effective than most mdapps profiles
3) It lets people display the fruits of their hard work, which they've earned the right to be proud of
4) If you have a problem with it, you don't have to read it

/thread please?

1) *can be helpful, depending on who you are.
2) *more convenient, but, some argue, more rude
3) Don't buy it. You never earn the right to be showy. But, be proud all you want, if that's what you're into. That being said, it's much more insecure to broadcast your test scores, etc., than it is to do well and be silent.
4) Well, the general user does have to read it. You can go into settings and selectively block people which is ridiculous. Or block all signatures... which is equally ridiculous.

I'm not emotional or angry or hurt; nor do I "feel insecure". I, for the 1000x time, all I'm advocating for is humility in signatures. I see the best way to do so as moving stats talk to mdapps where it belongs. If you don't want to, that's perfectly fine with me. There's clearly a group of people that think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

1) *can be helpful, depending on who you are.
2) *more convenient, but, some argue, more rude
3) Don't buy it. You never earn the right to be showy. But, be proud all you want, if that's what you're into. That being said, it's much more insecure to broadcast your test scores, etc., than it is to do well and be silent.
4) Well, you do. You can go into settings and selectively block people which is ridiculous.

I'm not emotional or angry or hurt; nor do I "feel insecure". I, for the 1000x time, all I'm advocating for is humility in signatures. I see the best way to do so as moving stats talk to mdapps where it belongs. If you don't want to, that's perfectly fine with me. There's clearly a group of people that think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For the love of God, dude. This is ridiculous. Go into your settings and turn off signatures. It is NOT that hard.

@Sardinia deleted it for a reason, I assume.

Yeah but he quoted me, so i was wondering whether he said something unwarranted before realizing his mistake and deleting it.

Something about "I only act professional because I get paid to do so." There was also rainbow font.
He started out by quoting your post about acting like professionals. Then he responded with all this stuff like "Oh, please! We're not all thinned skinned babies who throw tantrums like a diabetic patient who wants his candy" or something like that. And he used the word "professional" in rainbow colors, which must have taken like ten minutes to format. And then went on about how he acts like a professional because he gets paid like one and started talking about working at CVS for some reason. And I think there was a complaint in there about people who say they get jobs during gap year because they need money but I didn't really follow. Then he closed out with a paragraph complaining about reddit. It was a masterpiece of disjointed ranting. Very emotional.

Smh i don't even...

Thanks for the summaries!

If a signature offends you, you're going to crumble in medical school and be in tears through residency.

All of you need thicker skin.

If a signature offends you, you're going to crumble in medical school and be in tears through residency.

All of you need thicker skin.

And yet people continue to misunderstand OP's comments and continue to personally attack him.

And yet people continue to misunderstand OP's comments and continue to personally attack him.

He is bothered that people post their stats in their signatures, yet refuses to turn signatures off in his settings while continuing to accuse anyone who has their stats up of humble bragging. That about the gist of it?

He is bothered that people post their stats in their signatures, yet refuses to turn signatures off in his settings while continuing to accuse anyone who has their stats up of humble bragging. That about the gist of it?

I don't think he was accusing anyone honestly. He was just promoting humility (which people thought was attempts to control their behaviors) and advocating for greater use of MDApps (which I agree, since it provides, or should provide, far more compeehensive overview into applicant cycle that just IIs and stats dom't show)

OP thinks that such signatures encourages arrogance and self-promotion, as more successful applicants are more likely to post such signatures. That doesn't mean he is dismissing those applicants as arrogant and self-promoting.

I'm just amazed that OP's critics are taking the simple matter of signature change so personally and passionately. If the critics truly didn't care about this issue, they wouldn't be lambasting him relentlessly, dismissing him as an entitled, thin-skinned, and shallow millennial who will have a bad time in medical school/residency.

But it's definitely possible to care about this issue and respond courteously. Unfortunately, these forums are unable to do so for whatever reasons.

I will say that I disagree with OP's central point, in that I think such signatures are useful and minimize redundancy. What i sharply dislike is the incessant personal attacks being thrown in this thread. There is really no reason for that and gives the forums a bad name.

Last edited:
I don't think he was accusing anyone honestly. He was just promoting humility (which people thought was attempts to control their behaviors) and advocating for greater use of MDApps (which I agree, since it provides, or should provide, far more compeehensive overview into applicant cycle that just IIs and stats dom't show)

OP thinks that such signatures encourages arrogance and self-promotion, as more successful applicants are more likely to post such signatures. That doesn't mean he is dismissing those applicants as arrogant and self-promoting.

I'm just amazed that OP's critics are taking the simple matter of signature change so personally and passionately. If the critics truly didn't care about this issue, they wouldn't be lambasting him relentlessly, dismissing him as an entitled, thin-skinned, and shallow millennial who will have a bad time in medical school/residency.

But it's definitely possible to care about this issue and respond courteously. Unfortunately, these forums are unable to do so for whatever reasons.

I will say that I disagree with OP's central point, in that I think such signatures are useful and minimize redundancy. What i sharply dislike is the incessant personal attacks being thrown in this thread. There is really no reason for that and gives the forums a bad name.

So in his first post, he says this:

With kindness and respect, I'd like to communicate to everyone that this is, quite possibly, the most audaciously obnoxious way of trying to tell our small community how great you are.

And this:

Yet, for most people (including Lurker John + Janie that use this website without making accounts), it's just a very forward way to say "look how great I am."

Yes, he quickly follows this with:

I'm sure most people just got caught up with the trend and are not trying to humble-brag their way to SDN renown. But, I'll be one to say... let's stop this.

But telling people their behavior is obnoxious and then saying, "But I'm sure you aren't doing it on purpose," is a little condescending.

And that really shines through with the addition at the end:

EDIT: The last thing I'll say on this is that I hear " You're so insecure..." etc. etc.

Telling others not to be braggadocious is not insecure. Rather, plastering your admissions stats all over your signature + begging people to think that you're smart and important is.

Putting your stats in your sig is hardly plastering them everywhere. I'm sorry if his cycle wasn't as successful as others' but that doesn't mean you get to call people braggarts for being proud of their accomplishments on a forum dedicated to med school admissions.

So in his first post, he says this:

And this:

Yes, he quickly follows this with:

But telling people their behavior is obnoxious and then saying, "But I'm sure you aren't doing it on purpose," is a little condescending.

And that really shines through with the addition at the end:

Putting your stats in your sig is hardly plastering them everywhere. I'm sorry if his cycle wasn't as successful as others' but that doesn't mean you get to call people braggarts for being proud of their accomplishments on a forum dedicated to med school admissions.

Like I said, OP's main point is criticizing these signatures for being too showy, and felt such signatures were unnecessary when resources like MDApps are available. Although admittedly, i didn't see the recently edited part, but his response is reactionary to the excessive criticism and insults he received in this thread.

Honestly, for a minor suggestion, this discussion quickly collapsed into flames, which allows critics to freely escalate the insults and attacks without penalty. That's really my main criticism, since this hostile behavior is so pervasive across the forums, especially pertaining to hot topics.

I get it. It's the application cycle nerves getting the best of us and we're acting emotionally. But that doesn't justify insults and personal attacks. Even if OP is criticizing users of bragging signatures as obnoxious and arrogant, the response should NOT be exaggerating OP's position to explosive proportions and turn the thread into a mudslinging brawl.

We can do better than that. Like constructively piecing apart OP's arguments and disproving them with strong, well-supported counterpoints. Some have done a good job with that so props to them. And if OP (or others in similar position) disagree by further pointing out facts etc., a productive discussion can be fostered.

But personal attacks and false generalizations sour the discussions. And to OP, i hope you got what you need because it looks like we're stuck in an impasse with no resolution in sight. I disagree with your points but respect your position. I honestly don't see the thread becoming productive anytime soon.

Calling him entitled and controlling is not over the top. It's just describing his behavior in this thread as a reaction to his calling out everyone as braggarts.

Myself and others gave him options to avoid looking at the signatures. He chose to ignore them and continued to try and convince people that they were being obnoxious. At some point, it's less a discussion and more a crusade.

Last edited:
Hmm, agree to disagree on that part (i.e. Calling OP entitled and controlling is still an insult that's really not needed). We can agree that the thread is well beyond its usefulness though so further discussion is probably not worthwhile.

Its the internet. Who knows who's stats are actual stats. Advice on an internet forum should always be taken with a grain of salt and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Pre-meds are notoriously insecure people driven by stats and metrics.

Hmm, agree to disagree on that part (i.e. Calling OP entitled and controlling is still an insult that's really not needed). We can agree that the thread is well beyond its usefulness though so further discussion is probably not worthwhile.

And calling people obnoxious and braggarts isn't? He opened the door.

Like I said, OP's main point is criticizing these signatures for being too showy, and felt such signatures were unnecessary when resources like MDApps are available. Although admittedly, i didn't see the recently edited part, but his response is reactionary to the excessive criticism and insults he received in this thread.

Honestly, for a minor suggestion, this discussion quickly collapsed into flames, which allows critics to freely escalate the insults and attacks without penalty. That's really my main criticism, since this hostile behavior is so pervasive across the forums, especially pertaining to hot topics.

I get it. It's the application cycle nerves getting the best of us and we're acting emotionally. But that doesn't justify insults and personal attacks. Even if OP is criticizing users of bragging signatures as obnoxious and arrogant, the response should NOT be exaggerating OP's position to explosive proportions and turn the thread into a mudslinging brawl.

We can do better than that. Like constructively piecing apart OP's arguments and disproving them with strong, well-supported counterpoints. Some have done a good job with that so props to them. And if OP (or others in similar position) disagree by further pointing out facts etc., a productive discussion can be fostered.

But personal attacks and false generalizations sour the discussions. And to OP, i hope you got what you need because it looks like we're stuck in an impasse with no resolution in sight. I disagree with your points but respect your position. I honestly don't see the thread becoming productive anytime soon.

Thanks for your posts, Lawper. You're quite right on all accounts.
Calling him entitled and controlling is not over the top. It's just describing his behavior in this thread as a reaction to his calling out everyone as braggarts.

Myself and others gave him options to avoid looking at the signatures. He chose to ignore them and continued to try and convince people that they were being obnoxious. At some point, it's no less a discussion and more a crusade.

You're right: shouldn't have used such strong language. It got more than a few feathers ruffled and opened myself up to angry replies.

And, I see that there are many people who do not agree with me about the behavior being ostentatious. I can see that there are many people who really think the signature helps, and I am, now, completely open to the idea that it might do more help than harm, overall!

-----

Q) "Can We Stop The 'I'm Better Than You' Signatures?"

General A) No. We want to keep them. They do more good than harm.
-----

That's a wrap, SDN.

Thanks for your posts, Lawper. You're quite right on all accounts.

You're right: shouldn't have used such strong language. It got more than a few feathers ruffled and opened myself up to angry replies.

And, I see that there are many people who do not agree with me about the behavior being ostentatious. I can see that there are many people who really think the signature helps, and I am, now, am completely open to the idea that it might do more help than harm, overall!

-----

Q) "Can We Stop The 'I'm Better Than You' Signatures?"

General A) No. We want to keep them. They do more good than harm.
-----

That's a wrap, SDN.

Great post.