Can't decide--MD or long-shot MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member13293

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently joined SDN, but have been lurking for a couple months... but I can't resist asking for help deciding if I have any chance at an MD/PhD.. I recently joined a developmental bio research lab and love it. I can't imagine not doing research in my career and am prepared to take a year out to do research/ or get MS/ or transfer to MD/Phd once in med school. Let me know if you think I have a shot (if so where?) or should I just stick to MD(also where I'm so lost as to where to apply)? I know my research isn't strong for MD/Phd.

Junior
Major: Biochem & Psychology
sGPA/cGPA: 3.923/ 3.891
Awards
Academic Chemistry Dept. scholarship sophomore year
Research fellowship from my school for next summer
ECs
**RA for a hospital study (comparing pt attitudes w/ doctor types and cost-benefit analysis): consent PTs to study, MMSE, interview pt (~1hr per pt)-- 5hrs/wk 1.5 years (and going)
**RA Dev. Bio Research-- creating transgenics, beginning my own project w/ TALENs (attempting new tech) hoping to get pub by next year...., amazing PI who will write a great LOR (he's the one who's convincing me i have a chance at MD/PhD)--15hrs/wk began at the beginning of junior year plan on continuing through summer and beyond
**Just started in a psychology lab working on children's memory study-- coding mostly, also work w/ kids for experiment-- 8hrs/wk and going
**Medical Brigade to Honduras (please don't eat me alive... i know... )
**Volunteer at free clinic freshman year--5hrs/wk for 1 year
**Tutor to elementary kids freshman year -- 2hrs/wk for 1 year

I also have scheduled to shadow 2 doctors in the city, one a GI MD and DO
I'm looking at also volunteering at a women's free clinic (really interested in women's issues) and mentoring at risk youth in the city

Taking the MCAT in May-- plan on doing well (hoping 35+)

Do I have any hope? Or should I just forget about it now?

Members don't see this ad.

I meant the 35+ as in if I get that I would be competitive at MD/PhD. I'm mostly looking to see if my research (or lack there of) would hold me back even if I had the gpa/mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools may reject you from MD/Phd, but still let you apply/ interview for MD. Look at the individual schools that you wish to apply and see what their policies are.

I meant the 35+ as in if I get that I would be competitive at MD/PhD. I'm mostly looking to see if my research (or lack there of) would hold me back even if I had the gpa/mcat.

Your mcat will hold you back from MD/PhD. Unless you do get a 35+

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile