Case Western Reserve Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr_bertman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i'm a first-year (MS1) at case but i'm considering doing a research year somewhere in between, so maybe i'll be joining some of you 2009 people in a couple years :) questions? comments? last year's case thread was huge so let's get this one rolling...

Members don't see this ad.

Yay Case!! 90% sure I'll be there in August! Planning the roadtrip from CA.

More later, just wanted to spread the love for now...

I also might be Case 2009 along with bertman.. if I take a research year. Case is a great school! I too may be taking a road trip from CA to bring my car.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats traveladdict! case is awesome.

Technically Cleveland Clinic is part of Case right? Do you guys see those cclcm students often?

Woohoo for Case and Cleveland Clinic!

Technically Cleveland Clinic is part of Case right? Do you guys see those cclcm students often?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Case next year, but I'm still waiting to see what happens with financial aid.

Hopefully, they'll come through for me!

I've been waiting for someone to start this thread!

I'm definitely going to Case next year. Woohoo! :)

Electrophys said:

we currently see them once a week. Cleveland Clinic is considered a program within Case. I'm sure we'll see them more during rotations.

add another to the driving-from-cali-to-case list.

the neighborhoods around case/ccf were alright, not slums but freaking coventry is just a bit over from univ. circle. (the neighborhood between case and downtown looked like a war zone though)

i got word from the admissions office today that there's gonna be a second visit weekend april 1-2, or something around then. they'll mail out info about it later on.

I may be attending Case as well. I'm currently trying to decide between Loyola, OHSU (my state school, but I don't think I really want to stick around here for another 4 years) and Case. I keep going back and forth b/w Case and Loyola... I loved the faciliities of Loyola, and I loved the research focus at Case, etc...

How'd everyone decide they wanted to go to Case? Any particular aspect of the school that sold you?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mr_bertman said:
i got word from the admissions office today that there's gonna be a second visit weekend april 1-2, or something around then. they'll mail out info about it later on.
ohio state just sent an email saying that their 2nd look day was april 2. if case and osu do it on the same day, that would really piss a lot of people off (myself included). :mad:

here's to hoping its something different! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
We need an f-ing caravan from CA!! (I'm working on convincing my friend that she really wants to visit Ohio with me) :)

As far as why I like Case, it has the perfect program for me: pass/fail first couple years, classes for only half the day (and no mandatory attendance--yeah, I think I have science lecture ADD), I like midwesterners, good international opps, interested in research, lots of elective time that doesn't necessarily have to be in Cleveland, School of Pubilc Health next door (might be interested in this), I like variety, and I miss seasons.

i second everything traveladdict said. there are really great research opportunities across the board, to go along with all the clinical stuff you'll see all over cleveland. i'm working for dr. topol at the cleveland clinic right now, and he's been extremely enthusiastic and helpful, as are pretty much all the faculty i've met here. must be a friendly midwestern thing :p also, i have a couple friends from college who are med students above me here, and they vouched for case more strongly than any of my friends at other schools.

traveladdict said:
(I'm working on convincing my friend that she really wants to visit Ohio with me) :)

haha good luck with that. :laugh:

mr_bertman said:

How did you find this out? Did they send you a letter/e-mail, or did you contact them?

TMag said:
How did you find this out? Did they send you a letter/e-mail, or did you contact them?

i stopped by the adcom's office and asked. it's just down the hall from our lecture classroom.

So who's coming to 2nd look weekend? You guys should start a list.

I'll be there. I am concerned with my potential for financial aid there as I didn't get invited to apply for the very generous merit scholarships. But I'm beyond stoked for my slot and I'm looking forward to taking a second (and much calmer, compared to interview day) look.

this "class of 2009" thread is seriously uninspired.

Larsitron said:
I'll be there. I am concerned with my potential for financial aid there as I didn't get invited to apply for the very generous merit scholarships.

um, when did people get invited? (i guess this means i wasn't)

I started a Case Second Look Weekend Thread!

Yea the Case thread from last year (or few years?) ago was huge....but it just doesnt seem like there's a lot of people on SDN at this point that are holding acceptances to Case...judging from the "acceptance" Sticky link... :confused:

TMag said:

Yea the Case thread from last year (or few years?) ago was huge....but it just doesnt seem like there's a lot of people on SDN at this point that are holding acceptances to Case...judging from the "acceptance" Sticky link... :confused:

Yeah, I think that thread was for multiple years. It seems like there's only like five of us or whatever that are holding acceptances. I'm sure it'll pick up...

I am all but completely committed to Case at this point. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the 37K price tag for Case vs. 27K for OHSU (my state school). so, 40k difference over four years. Hmmm...

fakin' the funk said:
this "class of 2009" thread is seriously uninspired.

um, when did people get invited? (i guess this means i wasn't)

I was told by the financial aid office that the application should be in my letter of acceptance. However, I'm thinking of e-mailing them to ask about it again just to make sure. I've been an envelope stuffer at an office before and I know how often things get messed up.

Does anyone know approx how much case gives in grant money if you have an 0 EFC? That's going to be deciding whether i go there or not :(

They mail the scholarship applications in March, so I'd get on that soon.

Man, it would be sweet to get one of those scholarships, but the application process just makes this whole journey to med school longer and more tedious.

TMag said:

That was the thread for my class (c/o 2008). I dont think we started it until mid march and then it took off in april. It is still early!

Mr. Seeds said:
Yeah, I think that thread was for multiple years. It seems like there's only like five of us or whatever that are holding acceptances. I'm sure it'll pick up...

I am all but completely committed to Case at this point. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the 37K price tag for Case vs. 27K for OHSU (my state school). so, 40k difference over four years. Hmmm...
Finaid is usually pretty generous, submit early for best results. I picked case over two schools that would have been 40k and 60k less (Ohio state and my state school in CA).

rayofdiana said:
They mail the scholarship applications in March, so I'd get on that soon.

Man, it would be sweet to get one of those scholarships, but the application process just makes this whole journey to med school longer and more tedious.

So wait...they have yet to mail the applications? Because that would rock socks. I was planning on e-mailing the admissions people but I actually had to "work" today at my "job."

Larsitron said:
So wait...they have yet to mail the applications? Because that would rock socks. I was planning on e-mailing the admissions people but I actually had to "work" today at my "job."

They haven't mailed the actual applications yet, but the invite to apply should have been in your acceptance letter. It was a separate letter saying that they are inviting 60 people to apply for 16 spots and that we'll receive more info (the actual app) in March.

Yeah, you probably want to e-mail them. Sorry.

exmike said:
Finaid is usually pretty generous, submit early for best results. I picked case over two schools that would have been 40k and 60k less (Ohio state and my state school in CA).

I guess I have two questions:

1. Is the financial aid generous for people who didn't get invited to apply for the merit scholarships? I'm looking at the ranking stats and noticed that about 70% of people receive some sort of grant/scholarship which is, you know, awesome.

2. How many people go for the MD/MA in bioethics?

I'd ask these in the current students forum, but I sort of still feel like an interloper there and wouldn't want to impose/be the dorky new guy. :D

rayofdiana said:
They haven't mailed the actual applications yet, but the invite to apply should have been in your acceptance letter. It was a separate letter saying that they are inviting 60 people to apply for 16 spots and that we'll receive more info (the actual app) in March.

Yeah, you probably want to e-mail them. Sorry.
hey, i don't remember getting a separate letter with my acceptance (but then again, that was in october)! so i guess i'm already out of the running for a merit scholarship before i could even apply?! :mad: not cool, not cool at all...

could i still be getting an app in march? i guess maybe i'm just being delusional, but damn, i feel so...cheap :D

superdevil said:
hey, i don't remember getting a separate letter with my acceptance (but then again, that was in october)! so i guess i'm already out of the running for a merit scholarship before i could even apply?!

I mean, I'm grateful to be in the spot I'm at, but I do sort of feel a bit disappointed. But I'm still stoked about that 70% stat that I noted above.

Larsitron said:
I mean, I'm grateful to be in the spot I'm at, but I do sort of feel a bit disappointed. But I'm still stoked about that 70% stat that I noted above.
so its certain--we don't even have a chance? :(

superdevil said:
so its certain--we don't even have a chance? :(

That's what them apples are looking like. I'm going to send an e-mail to check.

Larsitron said:
cool. would you mind PMing me with the (presumably dreadful) news?

Larsitron said:
I guess I have two questions:

1. Is the financial aid generous for people who didn't get invited to apply for the merit scholarships? I'm looking at the ranking stats and noticed that about 70% of people receive some sort of grant/scholarship which is, you know, awesome.

2. How many people go for the MD/MA in bioethics?

I'd ask these in the current students forum, but I sort of still feel like an interloper there and wouldn't want to impose/be the dorky new guy. :D

Yes, it is generous in my opinion. I got a small grant even with a very large EFC. I didnt expect to get anything.

I think there are a couple people the MD/MA program. There are always a few per class. More go for the MD/MS in anatomy, and a few go for the MD/MPH or MD/MBA

Larsitron said:

can you let us know what you find out? I didn't get that letter either.

Mr. Seeds said:
can you let us know what you find out? I didn't get that letter either.

Yea, instead of PMing like 20 people (or 2...whatever) could you just post in this thread? Thanks.

Larsitron said:

Shweet, thanks! (and a free bump, hehe. :p )

mr_bertman said:

Anyone from Minnesota going to Case's 2nd look in April? :)

PS: What is this minority student session on Fri, Apr 1, do non-minority students go too? . . . how does Case define minority anyway? Some schools use AAMC's rules and others use their own schools policies . .. hmm

FYI: prodding has been known to get grants from case.

exmike said:
FYI: prodding has been known to get grants from case.

So...how do we do that without looking like...you know...greedy first year students?

Perhaps this has been covered in the other thread... but I couldn't find it. Maybe I even asked it there. Anyhow... does anyone know if hold-listees are invited to the 2nd look?