Case Western Reserve Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sabrinne said:
Anyone from Minnesota going to Case's 2nd look in April? :)

PS: What is this minority student session on Fri, Apr 1, do non-minority students go too? . . . how does Case define minority anyway? Some schools use AAMC's rules and others use their own schools policies . .. hmm

I'm from Minnesota, and I'm going! I'm on the the Northwest 8:55 a.m. flight.

How about you?

Members don't see this ad.

rayofdiana said:
I'm from Minnesota, and I'm going! I'm on the the Northwest 8:55 a.m. flight.

How about you?

Cool!
I'm on the same flight! Thats pretty neat, I didn't think anyone else from MN was gonna be there. :D Are you a student in the cities?

Sabrinne said:
Cool!
I'm on the same flight! Thats pretty neat, I didn't think anyone else from MN was gonna be there. :D Are you a student in the cities?

I'm a Carleton student about to graduate a term early in a few days (one final left to go!), but I'll be living in Uptown soon. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
rayofdiana said:
I'm a Carleton student about to graduate a term early in a few days (one final left to go!), but I'll be living in Uptown soon. How about you?

I graduated from the U of Minnesota last summer and now I'm working at a lab at the VA to while my time away before school. Good luck on your final!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey kids --

Sign me up! I'll be at Case in the fall. :)

traveladdict said:
We need an f-ing caravan from CA!! (I'm working on convincing my friend that she really wants to visit Ohio with me) :)

As far as why I like Case, it has the perfect program for me: pass/fail first couple years, classes for only half the day (and no mandatory attendance--yeah, I think I have science lecture ADD), I like midwesterners, good international opps, interested in research, lots of elective time that doesn't necessarily have to be in Cleveland, School of Pubilc Health next door (might be interested in this), I like variety, and I miss seasons.

traveladdict said:
We need an f-ing caravan from CA!! (I'm working on convincing my friend that she really wants to visit Ohio with me) :)

As far as why I like Case, it has the perfect program for me: pass/fail first couple years, classes for only half the day (and no mandatory attendance--yeah, I think I have science lecture ADD), I like midwesterners, good international opps, interested in research, lots of elective time that doesn't necessarily have to be in Cleveland, School of Pubilc Health next door (might be interested in this), I like variety, and I miss seasons.

If anyone from So-Cal wants to swing by Tucson on your way there, I'll join you.

Hello,

Anyone know when Case has their final admissions committee meeting? I'd really like to know when the waitlist might see some movement. Patience. Patience.

reddyroo said:
Hello,

Anyone know when Case has their final admissions committee meeting? I'd really like to know when the waitlist might see some movement. Patience. Patience.

BUMP this baby :)

Has anyone finished their essay for the Dean's Scholarships? I was wondering how many are awarded and how many are invited to apply.

ramblinwreckie said:
Has anyone finished their essay for the Dean's Scholarships? I was wondering how many are awarded and how many are invited to apply.

I just finished a draft.

In theory, 60 are invited to apply, and 12 are awarded.

rayofdiana said:
I just finished a draft.

In theory, 60 are invited to apply, and 12 are awarded.

I think they actually give out up to 16 scholarships.

So who's stoked about the second look weekend? Because of flight scheduling, I'm getting in on Thursday, but I'll see everyone on Friday!

Larsitron said:
So who's stoked about the second look weekend? Because of flight scheduling, I'm getting in on Thursday, but I'll see everyone on Friday!

OOOhhh OOOhhh ME ME!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Larsitron said:

I arrive thursday night as well. I look forward to meeting you all!

Mr. Seeds said:
I arrive thursday night as well. I look forward to meeting you all!

I don't remember if I replied to this already...but I shall see you all there. I arrive Friday morning. :D

PMinty44 said:
I don't remember if I replied to this already...but I shall see you all there. I arrive Friday morning. :D

I'm already here... (undergrad ;)) But I am SOOO excited for this weekend. I know a bunch of the med students already, and Doc Opera is one of the funniest things EVER (plus one of my alumni sorority sisters is in 7 of the skit things, so that makes it even better, haha). It will be an awesome time for sure.

Can't wait! Just 2 more days of work to get through... :rolleyes:

So I'm coming in at 12:15 on Friday. Anyone else arriving at around that time and wants to split a cab w/ me to the InterContinental? PM me or reply in this thread! Can't wait! :thumbup:

TMag said:
So I'm coming in at 12:15 on Friday. Anyone else arriving at around that time and wants to split a cab w/ me to the InterContinental? PM me or reply in this thread! Can't wait! :thumbup:

Doesn't the intercontinental have a shuttle service?

Larsitron said:
Doesn't the intercontinental have a shuttle service?

I hope so...please post if you have info about this :)

TMag said:

I'm arriving at 11:45 on the same flight as Sabrinne. If there isn't easy, non-cab transit, I'm in.

Hey guys,

Im a first yr dental student at case this yr and will be looking for a roomate in the fall semester. i live 10-15 min walking distance from the med school in waldorf towers. you will have your own bedroom and bathroom. everything has been renovated so its all new. new kitchen tile, cabinets, frig, stove, etc. rent is reasonable (520/month) & that includes everything but high speed and electricity. parking is also available (its hard to find in cleveland). either female or male is fine (im a guy) and must be semi-clean, dont smoke, easy goin, blah blah blah. if yur interested, let me know & ill fill yu in on all other details.

good luck with everything, jeremy

I just called and there's no shuttle, just a cab. Here's the website for our hotel:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/en/hd/clehb

It looks pretty sweet! If anyone arriving on Thursday wanted to hang out that night, PM me and we'll try and get together (though I know the person I'm sharing a room with will be arriving on Thursday as well). Also, if there are any current Case people that would like to meet up that night, I'd be open to saying hi.

For those of you going to 2nd look weekend, heads up on the Queens of the Stone Age Show @ Cleveland House of Blues on Sunday night! I'm pissed I'm gonna miss it (and 2nd look of course) but airfare from Cali is $400+ and I already know I'm going to Case. Have fun everybody!

On another topic: which neighborhoods should I check out for apartments when I'm in Cleveland in early August?

you can take the RTA train which drops you off at the case campus. Its a little ghetto, but its only a buck fitty and you can walk st raight into it form the airport.

rayofdiana said:
I'm arriving at 11:45 on the same flight as Sabrinne. If there isn't easy, non-cab transit, I'm in.

Yea, so I arrive about 30 min. after you do. Do you want to meet up somewhere?

This doesn't have anything to do with second look weekend, but I'm just wanting to make sure of something: other than our acceptance acknowledgment, our financial aid material, and our RSVP for second look (if we're going), we haven't had to turn anything else in right? This may sound paranoid, but I just wanted to make sure.

Larsitron said:
This doesn't have anything to do with second look weekend, but I'm just wanting to make sure of something: other than our acceptance acknowledgment, our financial aid material, and our RSVP for second look (if we're going), we haven't had to turn anything else in right? This may sound paranoid, but I just wanted to make sure.

I think thats it

Not that us news matters, but Case moved up to #20 on us news this year. Maybe dean horwitz knows what he's doing. :) Congrats guys :thumbup:

exmike said:
Not that us news matters, but Case moved up to #20 on us news this year. Maybe dean horwitz knows what he's doing. :) Congrats guys :thumbup:

So did the rankings get published?

Not sure if this has been covered in the thread so far (I just scanned it), but the financial aid at case looks something like this IF you are not getting one of those sweet merit based grants:

Regardless of financial need (meaning, even if your EFC is zero dollars), Case will require that you borrow what's called the "Unit Loan" before they will give you any free money. My year (I'm class of 2008), I think the "Unit Loan" was something like $27,500. Which, by the way, is the maximum yearly amount you can borrow from the Federal Stafford Loan program regardless of need ($8,500 in subsidized loans and $19,000 in unsubsidized loans, each year). Hence, no matter how poor you are your family are (as far as I know), you WILL have to BORROW at least $27,500 before you get a single free dollar.

After you have borrowed $27,500 from the federal government, AND you are "needy" (meaning your EFC is sufficiently low enough - though I have no idea how low or high that is), Case will begin to consider you for "institutional aid". This consists, generally, of 50% Case LOANS and 50% Case need based grants (ie., free money).

So, let's take an example:

Suppose you are POOR and have an EFC of zero dollars. The budget at Case is something like $52,000 this year, as I recall. If your EFC is zero, your "need" is $52,000. You will have to BORROW $27,500 from the federal government. That leaves you STILL needing $24,500 for the year. Case will generally give you about $12,000 in free money and make you borrow $12,500 (or so), in Case Loans. So, at the end of the day, you would have to borrow a total of $40,000 to come to case every year.

If anybody has information different from this, let me know.

judd

TMag said:

As Diana said, I'm also on her flight to Cleveland and totally up for splitting the bill - gets pricey. :D

Diana- wanna meet up at the airport in Minneapolis?

Sabrinne said:
As Diana said, I'm also on her flight to Cleveland and totally up for splitting the bill - gets pricey. :D

Diana- wanna meet up at the airport in Minneapolis?

Just so you know...you can take the rapid for only $1.25 or $1.50 ! (www.gcrta.org) A cab ride from the rapid stop will be way cheaper than a cab from the airport. That's what I'm doing for CCLCM/Case second looks...

See you all soon!

My plane is getting in at 10:17AM on Friday, is anyone coming in around then and wanting to split a cab?

For those arriving on Thursday, when are you getting in? I'm landing at 6:05 and should be at the hotel by around 7 I would suppose.

exmike said:

Hey Mike...where'd you get the rankings this early??
In other news: Dr. Horwitz rocks! he hangs out at starbucks afterall :cool: .

SoulRFlare said:
Hey Mike...where'd you get the rankings this early??
In other news: Dr. Horwitz rocks! he hangs out at starbucks afterall :cool: .

Ill bring em, i just stopped by the book store today.

leiface said:
My plane is getting in at 10:17AM on Friday, is anyone coming in around then and wanting to split a cab?

I'm not coming in until 11:50am, but I'll be renting a car if anyone wants a ride to the hotel...

Do we know how many people are coming to this shindig? More broadly, do we know how many people got offered acceptances?

Larsitron said:
Do we know how many people are coming to this shindig? More broadly, do we know how many people got offered acceptances?

"For the past 10 years, we have averaged 340 offers for a final class of 145."

From their admissions information folder...

Awesome! Thanks AmateurChef!

AmateurChef said:
"For the past 10 years, we have averaged 340 offers for a final class of 145."

From their admissions information folder...

there are about 120 people coming to 2nd look.

So I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to get around Cleveland for 2nd look. The hotel said that it costs 35 dollars for a one way taxi ride from the airport. To rent a car, I think i would be around 50 dollars for the weekend. Can anyone tell me if taking the train would drop me off within walking distance of the hotel? If so, how far of a walk is it? Also...my flight's only 190 dollars, can Case reimburse me for traveling expenses after I get there? Thanks everyone!

leiface said:
So I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to get around Cleveland for 2nd look. The hotel said that it costs 35 dollars for a one way taxi ride from the airport. To rent a car, I think i would be around 50 dollars for the weekend. Can anyone tell me if taking the train would drop me off within walking distance of the hotel? If so, how far of a walk is it? Also...my flight's only 190 dollars, can Case reimburse me for traveling expenses after I get there? Thanks everyone!

the hotel is a 15-20 minute walk from the train station, so it's doable. if the weather's crappy i or maybe another one of my classmates could give you a ride from the station to the hotel, although it looks like we'll still be in class when you get in. i'm not sure if case will reimburse taxi rides--what did they say about reimbursements? is it like a $300 cap or something?

mr_bertman said:
the hotel is a 15-20 minute walk from the train station, so it's doable. if the weather's crappy i or maybe another one of my classmates could give you a ride from the station to the hotel, although it looks like we'll still be in class when you get in. i'm not sure if case will reimburse taxi rides--what did they say about reimbursements? is it like a $300 cap or something?

Yeah there is a 300 dollar cap, but my plane ride is only 190 coming in from St. Louis but I'm not sure if they'll reimburse taxi rides.

Just called Case and was told that the $300 cap applies to any 'travel expenses' including cab fare, assuming your plane ticket is cheap enough to accomodate your cab fare.

olw7 said:
Just called Case and was told that the $300 cap applies to any 'travel expenses' including cab fare, assuming your plane ticket is cheap enough to accomodate your cab fare.

Who did you call? That's really good to hear!

I don't know if any of the Thursday arrivals want to hang out that night, but if you PM me, I'll send you my cell phone number and maybe we can hang out that night or before the gig starts on Friday.