Case Western Reserve Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
leiface said:
Who did you call? That's really good to hear!
I called Ellen in the admissions office and she transferred me to someone named Cathy who is involved with Second Look weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

ahh yeah, leaving for cleveland tomorrow morning!!!

crap, i still gotta pack...

Mr. Seeds said:
ahh yeah, leaving for cleveland tomorrow morning!!!

crap, i still gotta pack...

lol. Me too. Also: drive home where the airport is (Phoenix).

See everyone soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
This may sound odd, but we don't need to bring anything special to the second look weekend right? Presuming we've already submitted our financial aid forms, we should just show up with some paper and a pen?

I've looked through the second look weekend stuff and didn't see anything, but I wanted to be sure.

Larsitron said:
This may sound odd, but we don't need to bring anything special to the second look weekend right? Presuming we've already submitted our financial aid forms, we should just show up with some paper and a pen?

I've looked through the second look weekend stuff and didn't see anything, but I wanted to be sure.

I don't think so. I've read all the stuff too and haven't seen anything. Just casual dress except business dress for dining w/ alumni and the doc opera.

Mr. Seeds said:
I don't think so. I've read all the stuff too and haven't seen anything. Just casual dress except business dress for dining w/ alumni and the doc opera.

Are you sure we need business dress for Doc Opera? I kinda thought it was more casual dress because in the past they have gone downtown to a club for an afterparty, and i'm not wearing business clothes downtown! (I'm a Case undergrad). I might call and ask the admissions office exactly what kind of clothes to have.

So for you SDNers that show up, make sure you come up and say "Hi" to me on friday, it would be nice to put faces with "names". I'll be on the student panel saturday too. I'll be the asian guy with short hair (yeah, like that really helps right?) - but really, there arent that many of us. My name is obviously Mike. Have safe trips everyone.

gz4444 said:
Are you sure we need business dress for Doc Opera? I kinda thought it was more casual dress because in the past they have gone downtown to a club for an afterparty, and i'm not wearing business clothes downtown! (I'm a Case undergrad). I might call and ask the admissions office exactly what kind of clothes to have.

Hmmm, the email I got from Amy Heneghan says "business casual," so I guess we're both right :D

Is that like a shirt and tie, or maybe just a polo shirt?

exmike said:
So for you SDNers that show up, make sure you come up and say "Hi" to me on friday, it would be nice to put faces with "names". I'll be on the student panel saturday too. I'll be the asian guy with short hair (yeah, like that really helps right?) - but really, there arent that many of us. My name is obviously Mike. Have safe trips everyone.

Cool... see you there, Mike

Mr. Seeds said:

I'm going polo shirt w/sports jacket, but then again, at some point it'll be too late for me as I'll be at a cruising altitude where bargain shopping just isn't allowed.

Mr. Seeds said:
Hmmm, the email I got from Amy Heneghan says "business casual," so I guess we're both right :D

I think either would work... Being a girl, I would say that you should wear a dress shirt and nice pants, no tie. That would be hot. I dont know what I'm gonna wear yet, but I'll figure it out.

What time is everyone getting to the hotel tomorrow? I'm already in Cleveland but Case is putting me in the hotel anyway (YESSSS) so I just want to see when would be a good time to head over there.

flamingo said:
Just so you know...you can take the rapid for only $1.25 or $1.50 ! (www.gcrta.org) A cab ride from the rapid stop will be way cheaper than a cab from the airport. That's what I'm doing for CCLCM/Case second looks...

See you all soon!

I took the rapid when I interviewed and it was great! Does anyone know what stop to get off at that would leave me closest the hotel? I'm planning to take the rapid as much as I can, then take a short cab ride as Flamingo suggested. I arrive in Cleveland (from Providence) tomorrow (Friday) at 12:15 p.m. Anyone want to split the short cab ride with me? PM me.

Hey guys, for those of you who haven't left yet, I lost my packet that they sent me inviting me to second look. Is there any pertinent information on there for checking in etc? Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
leiface said:
Hey guys, for those of you who haven't left yet, I lost my packet that they sent me inviting me to second look. Is there any pertinent information on there for checking in etc? Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

When you arrive at the InterContinental... if you are driving, have the valet park your car and tell them you are with Case Med or whatever so you don't have to pay for it. Otherwise, your room will be in your name, and you need to have either a cash deposit (refundable) or a credit card just in case of any damages. Other than that, they don't say much other than to arrive by 2pm or so to be at Wolstein by 3:30ish.

gz4444 said:
When you arrive at the InterContinental... if you are driving, have the valet park your car and tell them you are with Case Med or whatever so you don't have to pay for it. Otherwise, your room will be in your name, and you need to have either a cash deposit (refundable) or a credit card just in case of any damages. Other than that, they don't say much other than to arrive by 2pm or so to be at Wolstein by 3:30ish.

Thanks gz!

Hey everyone. I have no idea who will be checking this while we're actually in Cleveland, but I'm in room 625 at the intercontinental suites if anyone wants to hang out. Also, if you didn't already know, my name is Lars. Anyway, I'll see everyone at the reception tomorrow.

It's Thursday night, and I am D-Runk. But i cant wait to see everyone tomorrow. Hope I make my flight. Cant wait!

exmike said:

Mike, just wanted to say thanks for helping us out this weekend. Although I didn't come up & say hi, I though the studet panel on Saturday afternoon was really helpful. I'm coming to Case regardless, but it was good to get student input.

exmike said:

Hey Mike, I met you but I didn't explicitly state that I'm an SDNer. I think you guys really did a great job and Doc Opera was possibly the most funny production I've ever seen. I thought you were M2? Anyway, thanks again!

Hey everyone,

I think we all had an amazing weekend, and it was great meeting everyone... especially TMag, Sabrinne, UCLABruin2003, Comfortable Wolf, exmike, Mr. Bertman, Electrophys. I hope I get to see all of you when school starts!

Rob

January Friend said:
Hey everyone,

I think we all had an amazing weekend, and it was great meeting everyone... especially TMag, Sabrinne, UCLABruin2003, Comfortable Wolf, exmike, Mr. Bertman, Electrophys. I hope I get to see all of you when school starts!

Rob

you forgot about me! second look really helped me to make up my mind. it was wonderful meeting you guys! hope to see many of you back in cleveland! yay!!!!

junathon said:
you forgot about me! second look really helped me to make up my mind. it was wonderful meeting you guys! hope to see many of you back in cleveland! yay!!!!

Shi*t I'm sorry. Yes definitely enjoyed meeting Junathon, too :)

Man its a beautiful day. If you guys stuck around a little later on sunday you woudlve seen the skies clear out. I've never seen snow like that before either, its usually not like that. Seriously, mid 50's, clear skies, cool breeze. Couldn't be better here right now.

Just wanted to say what's up to all the Case prespective students who were at second look. I have just returned from a six month SDN hiatus (didn't care to partake in the paranoia, snobbishness, etc. that sometimes abounds here while I was in the middle of this crazy process). Anyway, because of this I didn't get to match faces with SDN handles like some of you, but the weekend was still sweet, most everyone I met was great, and it is going to be hard to say no to Case now.

just want to echo exmike. it was great meeting ya'll--you seem like a cool bunch :) my name's albert, btw. and seriously, saturday was the worst weather i've seen here. total fluke :p

I didn't actually put real people with SDN names this weekend, but I was the crazy talkative blonde girl from Case undergrad, so you may have met me... I'm also definitely going to be at Case Med... this weekend was awesome and I can't wait to see everyone again in August!!!

Oh... if anyone needs help with apartment hunting or anything, or if you all are going to be coming back up here sometime, let me know... I'm from the area plus I go to school here so I'll be glad to take you out when/if you come!

January Friend said:
Hey everyone,

Rob

Likewise my Januaryfriend, like wise-

January Friend said:
Hey everyone,

Rob

I'd also like to say that it was very nice to meet everyone, and I had lots of fun! January Friend...I thought we were gonna die on that flight back. Hope you got back to Bethesda ok.

gz4444 said:
I didn't actually put real people with SDN names this weekend, but I was the crazy talkative blonde girl from Case undergrad, so you may have met me... I'm also definitely going to be at Case Med... this weekend was awesome and I can't wait to see everyone again in August!!!

Oh... if anyone needs help with apartment hunting or anything, or if you all are going to be coming back up here sometime, let me know... I'm from the area plus I go to school here so I'll be glad to take you out when/if you come!

...riiiight....Ms. "Vote for me for Social Chair next year!" Lol. j/k

gz4444 said:

I sat next to you during Doc Opera...and for the love of god I AM coming to Case!! :laugh: It was nice meeting you.

TMag said:
...riiiight....Ms. "Vote for me for Social Chair next year!" Lol. j/k

HAHA, too funny... her guided tour on the trolly was pretty cool, too. It was good meeting everyone and putting a few faces with names/handles.

Well I'm glad I left some sort of an impression on you guys ;)

TMag said:
I'd also like to say that it was very nice to meet everyone, and I had lots of fun! January Friend...I thought we were gonna die on that flight back. Hope you got back to Bethesda ok.

Haha. Despite my unflinching facade, I was nearly pissing myself by the time we landed :scared:

I had an equally horrible flight back. I literally thought the plane was gonna rip into two with all that turbulence. but its nice to know that evveryone else made it back safe and sound.

Again I had a great time meeting all the CCLCM folks. It was great to know that everyone was so pleasantly cool. I also hereby declare that I am no longer the most pro-cclcmer....that award could most likely go to any of the staff, faculty, current students or one of many prospective students.

:D

uclabruin2003 said:
I had an equally horrible flight back. I literally thought the plane was gonna rip into two with all that turbulence. but its nice to know that evveryone else made it back safe and sound.

Again I had a great time meeting all the CCLCM folks. It was great to know that everyone was so pleasantly cool. I also hereby declare that I am no longer the most pro-cclcmer....that award could most likely go to any of the staff, faculty, current students or one of many prospective students.

:D

My flight was also very turbulent....scary! :scared:
To echo what you've all said: I had a GREAT time at Case....now, if it would only hook me up with some money..... :luck:

January Friend said:
Hey everyone,

Rob

It was great to meet you all too and fun to match faces with nics. Now my decision is going to be so much harder, I loved Case! *sigh* :) :) :)

Sabrinne said:
It was great to meet you all too and fun to match faces with nics. Now my decision is going to be so much harder, I loved Case! *sigh* :) :) :)

Come to Case! :D

January Friend said:
Come to Case! :D

EVERYONE should come to Case!!! It's gonna be SO MUCH FUN! :D

For me (and probably a lot of you), financial aid is going to be a factor, but it would be really hard to say no to Case. During interviews, I tried to hold back, but this weekend I let myself fall in love.

All of you were awesome. This weekend was incredible.

rayofdiana said:
For me (and probably a lot of you), financial aid is going to be a factor, but it would be really hard to say no to Case. During interviews, I tried to hold back, but this weekend I let myself fall in love.

All of you were awesome. This weekend was incredible.

Just a comment about financial aid... I know that everyone says that it is a factor, and I PROMISED myself that I wouldn't go to case unless I got a scholarship or some really great financial aid package, but I've talked to a lot of doctors who say that it doesn't matter. The VAST majority of doctors have huge debt when they get done with school, but they all manage to pay it off just fine, so there is no reason that we won't be able to pay it off too! At least that is what I am telling myself now because no matter what happens financially, I'm going to Case.

What I've been told: Go to the place where you will be happy for 4 years. If that is the place that gives you the money, then great. If not, oh well. At least for me, happiness is key to making it through med school. (And as much as I bug everyone to come to Case, if it didn't make you feel 100% happy and at home but some other school does, then you obviously shouldn't come to Case!)

There's my serious rambling for the day. I'm going on 3 hours of sleep and just finished a physio test. Cut me some slack :p

gz4444 said:

Hahahaha...it's fun to finally match an SDN name to a person, and your description made that pretty easy. :)

I'll be back in the Cleveland area to look for a house in the next month or so...I'll PM you w/ some questions about where to look.

See you in August!

Brandon

gz4444 said:
EVERYONE should come to Case!!! It's gonna be SO MUCH FUN! :D

this is a medical school???? let the fun begin!!!! :D :D :D :D

junathon said:
this is a medical school???? let the fun begin!!!! :D :D :D :D

Who's up for gettin' CRUNKED!!! :laugh:

TMag said:
Who's up for gettin' CRUNKED!!! :laugh:

We know you are!

(And I am too, when it's phsyically possible to get to the bar.)

rayofdiana said:
We know you are!

(And I am too, when it's phsyically possible to get to the bar.)

This is reminiscent of our trip from the airport, you lushes :laugh: . Maybe Case will treat us to free drinks again? (fingers crossed) :)

Sabrinne said:
This is reminiscent of our trip from the airport, you lushes :laugh: . Maybe Case will treat us to free drinks again? (fingers crossed) :)

heh, don't count on it :p the deans throw parties every now and then, though, so free alcohol comes around every once in a while.

also, i might be needing a new roommate for next year? anyone interested?

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that it was awesome meeting you at second look weekend and I had a great time, but I've done a lot of thinking and have realized that Case doesn't seem like a great match for me. I'm still reviewing my options (talking with students, faculty, and the like), but I'm pretty sure that I'll be withdrawing from Case in the next few weeks. You guys are going to have a really awesome class, so I'm totally happy for you and I know y'all are going to have a great time there.

Do many single students buy property? Or is it more popular to rent?