MD & DO cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.3 MCAT 505

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello! I'm hoping to get some ways to gets some feedback on my application. I'm planning on applying in 2017 to both MD and DO schools, but probably more DO schools.

cGPA and sGPA: 3.38; 3.27
MCAT: 505; 124/126/127/128
State of residence: MI
Ethnicity: Chinese
Undergrad: U of M
Clinical experience: 3 summers at camp for kids with special needs (2 summers of being their sole "camp nurse"; some hospital volunteering; around a school year at a free clinic)
Research: 2 years in genetics lab; no publications and mostly just assisting. Not much of a research person.
Shadowing: around 25 hours total in oncology, PICU, neonatology; 20 hours at clinic with DO family physician.
Nonclinical volunteering: leadership positions(2-3 years each) and experience (almost all 4 at college) in two organizations that I volunteering with special needs kids and local kids with writing/reading.
Other: Financial Chair of one organization (3 years); Pen Pal Chair(1 year); worked as daily caretaker and aba therapist.
Gap Year: Currently working as an assistant teacher at a daycare and a direct care worker for children with disabilities

School list: all medical schools in Michigan, Albany, Rush, Loyola, Wake Forest, CUSOM, CCOM. Though really hoping for MSU acceptance. Also need help with school list, especially DO schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do have a chance for an interview at some of your Michigan schools, possibly Central Michigan or MSU. However, you should apply to more DO schools and consider adding these schools:
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ACOM

Thanks! Does anyone think I should retake the MCAT or apply with the 505 and focus on DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Does anyone think I should retake the MCAT or apply with the 505 and focus on DO schools?
It depends on what you want to do.
Want to go DO? -> You have a shot with the scores that you got right now.
Want to go MD? -> Definitely plan to retake the MCAT. You have a somewhat decent volunteer & research experience, but they are not nearly enough to make MD schools ignore your low GPA.

P.S. Does your school replace your original grade with the new one for the biochem class? Or does it average it out?

You and I have a similar app (stats-wise.) I only applied DO, so I can only give advise on that application.

I would recommend getting involved in some kind of volunteering if you can.. I feel like ~100 hours is a solid goal. You have the time to do it. Also, get a DO LOR if you don't already have one; without one, the DO schools you can apply to will become limited.

With regards to other DO schools to apply to, here are a couple I enjoyed visiting, and think you would have a great shot at:
ACOM - highly impressive for a new school. Brand new research facility, strong affiliation with the local healthcare system there, and the people there (faculty, students, community) are incredibly friendly/welcoming.
KCUCOM - great board scores, 100 years old (established), does well in the match, KC is a super fun city, etc. Great school.
LECOM - BR - location is great; research the PBL curriculum before applying (it's not for everyone.)
RVU - CO - ~10 minutes outside of Denver, CO. Great board scores, beautiful campus, etc.. If you apply here, make sure your secondary essay is very well written. It will get you an interview over someone with stronger stats than you; they reject most people pre-interview.
MSUCOM -I didn't attend my interview here, but it is a killer DO school and I think you will have a good shot at interviewing. It is state-affiliated so it has strong connections all through MI for rotations and residency programs. You have a lot more volunteering than I did I think and they will love that.

Good luck!

It depends on what you want to do.
Want to go DO? -> You have a shot with the scores that you got right now.
Want to go MD? -> Definitely plan to retake the MCAT. You have a somewhat decent volunteer & research experience, but they are not nearly enough to make MD schools ignore your low GPA.

P.S. Does your school replace your original grade with the new one for the biochem class? Or does it average it out?

Okay, thanks! I was definitely planning on applying to more DO schools and a handful on in-state MD schools. Unfortunately, the biochem was replaced. I took biochem again at a different school.

You and I have a similar app (stats-wise.) I only applied DO, so I can only give advise on that application.

I would recommend getting involved in some kind of volunteering if you can.. I feel like ~100 hours is a solid goal. You have the time to do it. Also, get a DO LOR if you don't already have one; without one, the DO schools you can apply to will become limited.

With regards to other DO schools to apply to, here are a couple I enjoyed visiting, and think you would have a great shot at:
ACOM - highly impressive for a new school. Brand new research facility, strong affiliation with the local healthcare system there, and the people there (faculty, students, community) are incredibly friendly/welcoming.
KCUCOM - great board scores, 100 years old (established), does well in the match, KC is a super fun city, etc. Great school.
LECOM - BR - location is great; research the PBL curriculum before applying (it's not for everyone.)
RVU - CO - ~10 minutes outside of Denver, CO. Great board scores, beautiful campus, etc.. If you apply here, make sure your secondary essay is very well written. It will get you an interview over someone with stronger stats than you; they reject most people pre-interview.
MSUCOM -I didn't attend my interview here, but it is a killer DO school and I think you will have a good shot at interviewing. It is state-affiliated so it has strong connections all through MI for rotations and residency programs. You have a lot more volunteering than I did I think and they will love that.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! MSUCOM is definitely my top choice, but wanted more suggestion so thank you. I'm planning on getting some more volunteering hours and do have a DO LOR.

Okay, thanks! I was definitely planning on applying to more DO schools and a handful on in-state MD schools. Unfortunately, the biochem was replaced. I took biochem again at a different school.

Thanks so much! MSUCOM is definitely my top choice, but wanted more suggestion so thank you. I'm planning on getting some more volunteering hours and do have a DO LOR.

I just read your original post again and I must have misread the first time. It looks like you have a ton of volunteering, I think you're fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello! I'm hoping to get some ways to gets some feedback on my application. I'm planning on applying in 2017 to both MD and DO schools, but probably more DO schools.

cGPA and sGPA: around 3.3/3.4 for both MD and DO schools, currently retaking a biochem class I did badly in before.
MCAT: 505; 124/126/127/128
State of residence: MI
Ethnicity: Chinese
Undergrad: U of M, currently postbac one class at Oakland
Clinical experience: 3 summers at camp for kids with special needs (2 summers of being their sole "camp nurse"; some hospital volunteering; around a school year at a free clinic)
Research: 2 years in genetics lab; no publications and mostly just assisting. Not much of a research person.
Shadowing: around 25 hours total in oncology, PICU, neonatology; 20 hours at clinic with DO family physician.
Nonclinical volunteering: leadership positions(2-3 years each) and experience (almost all 4 at college) in two organizations that I volunteering with special needs kids and local kids with writing/reading.
Other: Financial Chair of one organization (3 years); Pen Pal Chair(1 year); worked as daily caretaker and aba therapist.

School list: all medical schools in Michigan, Albany, Rush, Loyola, Wake Forest, CUSOM, CCOM. Though really hoping for MSU acceptance. Also need help with school list, especially DO schools.

Thanks!

I think with your 505 you could have a really strong chance at MSUCOM, MSUCHM and CMU. They all have a similar missions though, so make sure you can talk about why the school is a good fit and use your background/experiences as examples. If MSUCOM is really one of your top choices, make an advising appointment with their admissions counselor now, go on a tour, sign up for a webinar, etc because their secondary asks you specifically to identify all interactions with the school (the more the better). If you can show a strong, genuine interest in MSUCOM and apply day 1 I think you have a really good chance. Oh, and get that DO letter! MSUCOM only "recommends" it, but Anne Snyder (admissions rep) will tell you it's highly highly encouraged.

Go blue!

I think with your 505 you could have a really strong chance at MSUCOM, MSUCHM and CMU. They all have a similar missions though, so make sure you can talk about why the school is a good fit and use your background/experiences as examples. If MSUCOM is really one of your top choices, make an advising appointment with their admissions counselor now, go on a tour, sign up for a webinar, etc because their secondary asks you specifically to identify all interactions with the school (the more the better). If you can show a strong, genuine interest in MSUCOM and apply day 1 I think you have a really good chance. Oh, and get that DO letter! MSUCOM only "recommends" it, but Anne Snyder (admissions rep) will tell you it's highly highly encouraged.

Go blue!

Thanks:) I will definitely get in contact with them more. I met with Anne Snyder last spring too, so I'll definitely get in contact some more. Thanks for all the advice!!

Hi there! I recently met with an admissions counselor at one of the schools I really want to get into. They suggested I take another gap year and apply the 2018 cycle and instead focusing boosting my GPA up through science-focused classes, since I didn't have as many science classes as a non-science major. They suggested the online M.S in Pharmacology and Histology at MSU? I wanted to see if anyone could give me any advice if that would be a better choice or to apply this cycle? Thanks!