PhD/PsyD Challenges of first year as faculty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimich

Associate Professor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any faculty members willing to share some of your challenges during the first year? What do you wish you'd have known? What was some of the best advice you received?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What kind of faculty are we talking about? 4-year uni, AMC, community college.. ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how many people are going to be able to discuss challenges across types of settings, because not many of us have been to multiple settings (though there might be a few). I also strongly suggest looking at past threads on the Psych Jobs Wiki for this, as I know it's been discussed there.

My short list (and you can PM me if you'd like): the difficulty of getting a lab going (physical setup, navigating new IRB, etc.), trying to keep research productive while likely doing at least one (probably more) course preps, figuring out all the little stuff that everyone else seems to know (e.g., policies for getting money to pay participants, other purchasing stuff, booking rooms for meetings), and trying to figure out how you fit into the department climate, which involves getting a handle on department politics. Every department has it's nuances--the people who get listened to, the people who are mostly ignored, the friendships and collaborations across the departments, opinions and perspectives on training and teaching, etc. I spent a lot of time listening my first year.

Reactions: 2 users
+1 to the above. In the AMC setting if you are doing any kind of clinical practice there is the added challenge of learning/navigating the clinic environment, getting referrals (and getting appropriate referrals), learning how to work well with other types of providers, managing role overlap, understanding the logistics of scheduling/paperwork/administrative processes, and figuring out how to bill for your services within your system.

From an AMC perspective, the biggest challenge has been trying to figure out how to balance time given changing priorities. I have a limited window to pull in funding before I either need to increase my clinical load (yuck) or likely venture off to other things. K23 just went out, but getting that together took an enormous chunk of time away from other things I should have been doing. Sitting on a MOUND of dissertation data including some findings that will likely go to top-tier journals (think IF > 10), but writing papers has to be lower priority than writing grants in my current situation. I need to get licensed so I do 2 full days in the clinic. I have to book pretty solid those days (6-7 patients/day) to cover my salary, so its not like I can really fit research in between. Thankfully no teaching responsibilities yet (the advantage of being in an AMC).

I think the biggest thing has just been the shift in mindset from "learning" to "doing." Obviously, I'm still learning but there just isn't the time to devote to it. I don't have the time to review treatment manuals or even prep for sessions as much as I would like. I have to take much more of a "just-in-time" approach to learning where I'm seemingly always fighting to stay just one step ahead of what I need to do tomorrow - grad school was way more laid back. The other big thing has been shifting from more of a short-term guided model to long-term planning. Graduate school has pretty discrete hoops that limit how far ahead you can think. First thesis. Than comps. Than dissertation. There is generally little pressure to be thinking about your dissertation before even starting your thesis. Now not so much...I'm thinking about measures I can add to pilot projects that will lead to internal funding to an R21 to maybe an R01 5-10 years down the line if I'm lucky. In grad school I was generally happy to publish whatever, but now I really need to focus in on building a program. That also requires consideration of what I want my role in the larger department to be and where I can carve out unique skillsets to foster collaborations (do I want to be the stats guy? do I want to build up my alcohol research portfolio since that is an area of need? Do I want to be the departmental link to the geoinformatics folks?). All of this also maps on to decisions about how I can build up a clinic (do I want it to map on to my research?) and even the extent to which I WANT to build a clinic at the obvious expense of research time.

Its intimidating, but exciting. I wouldn't change it for the world right now, though I may change my tune 5-10 years down the line.

: the difficulty of getting a lab going (physical setup, navigating new IRB, etc.),
Also - this times 10. Times 50 for the IRB part.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in a psychology department, yet I think a lot of the advice that has been shared for AMCs also applies for us. For me prioritizing work was a real challenge. I found myself yearning for my old advisor in order to determine if I should spend more time writing a grant or write up another publication. While old mentors are helpful, and you should keep in touch with them, every department is different and values different things. Thus, take advice from outsiders with a grain of salt until you know your department and you know that you are expected to do. An example of this is my dissertation. I have the opposite problem of Ollie as my dissertation is publishable but it would go to a low impact factor place (single subject study). However, my department really values impact factor. Because of this my dissertation has been relegated far back on the back burner and it may never get off. I actually wonder if that pub would hurt me more than help because it would reduce my average impact factor for my papers. Again, get to know your department. Also get to know what behaviors are reinforced. Sometimes you are told that certain things are desirable, but those who get raises and promotions are doing something else. Pay attention to those sorts of things.

Probably the most important advice I can give you is advice I didn't take: avoid service and avoid departmental politics. I came in wanting to make a difference at a time when there was a real need for those who wanted to make a difference, and I got pulled into significant departmental service far too soon. There is a reason that significant service positions are often reserved for tenured faculty: there is a time cost and a political cost. I didn't realize the second part of it. If done well, significant service positions will likely mean that you will not be able to make everyone happy, including some who will be voting on your tenure and promotion. Do not take that lightly. As tempting as it is, and I know it is tempting because I took the bait, stay far away from service and let others handle it until you are tenured.

I hope that helps some. If you want someone to be able to bounce things off of shoot me a PM and I will send you my email.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's one that sometimes emerges: remember, you've crossed the Great Divide. You aren't a student any more, and although you may feel like you are "just one of them", the students simply don't view you that way. Also, you may set your expectations for students based upon yourself, but odds are that if you are now faculty you were appreciably above average as a student. So, having expectations of students that are too high (or even of other faculty) is quite common, and often called "assistant professor syndrome".

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! This is all very helpful and interesting. The pieces about avoiding service and politics, getting a lab going while tending to other matters, finding overall balance, and considering the Great Divide are particularly helpful. I'll be stepping into a tt position this summer in a Psychology Department at what would have been an "R2" in the old system. The current Carnegie lists it as a "Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs" and "more selective." They're asking me to develop a clinical/counseling focus area to supplement the existing areas of neuro, social, developmental, and personality; I'll be the first licensed psychologist in the department. There will be lots to do and I want to get off to a strong start and find a balance between program development/teaching and research.

Although my academic program was solid, they produce few faculty. Same for my pre/post doc -- outstanding clinical training, relatively few go on to faculty. Thus, I've had limited mentorship concerning what to expect and look out for at this stage of the game.

Any others out there with advice?

AMC setting, clinical track, some research. It's important to understand the culture and politics of your dept and also in the overall university/hospital system. Many faculty come in thinking, "I'm just going to stay out of the politics"…but that really isn't realistic. You need to be aware of what is going on and decide how much (or not) you actively want to be involved. You need to understand the metrics used to evaluate your performance (students supervised, publications accepted, grants secured, classes taught, etc) and also what is needed/desired in your dept (national recognition, leadership, participation on committees)....bc some of those things may be different. Lastly, you need to identify mentors: research, professional/administrative, etc. Having at least 1 mentor outside of your dept will help give you a broader perspective on things at your university. Some universities are more proactive about mentorship, but most are not. Faculty can go 5-10 years before they realize they are spinning their wheels and are in no better position than when they started…despite receiving good reviews.

I'm also at what you'd maybe consider an R2 a few years deep now in a tt job.

1) New preps are time consuming in year 1 but try to keep teaching mostly the same courses. I had so much more time in year 2.
2) Get your wheels moving on your lab. If that means an internal grant then go for it. You will be expected to keep doing more and if you can get some data by early year 2 to publish and present then things build - have a coherent path to funding to communicate.
3) I did a bit of service in year 1 and actually felt it helped me get to know the culture better. If you are proactive you can get a committee you want rather than get stuck with a crappy one. I asked around and got involved in a couple that had low demands and never got stuck on bad ones. I had colleagues that avoided service year 1 but then had to join whatever was available later. Being proactive has saved me time in later years since I'm on the easy committees. 4) Figure out who you can say no to. This depends on your institutional politics. You will get asked to do things by people. See #3- that gives you an excuse.
5) Develop a good relationship with your Chair. Mine lets me use them as a reason why I have to say no to some things (see #4).
6) Get well known but not too much. The more you are known the more people ask you to do.
7) Be strategic about what you go to and what you miss. Go to the stuff your Provost cares about. Miss stuff that won't impact you in an obvious way. Be a good citizen but don't stretch yourself too thin.

I was strategic and earned a lot of good will for little effort. That translated to internal funding, priority for things like travel, and flexibility about my clinical work. You can't predict everything but try to be in with the top players. But also, be good at what you get involved in service-wise. I actually have learned a ton in those roles.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: 5 users