Chance my friend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarthOneFlash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A friend of mine is planning to apply to medical school this coming 2018-2019 cycle. They are pretty worried about their chances, so I wanted to get other opinions for them.

GPA: 3.7 at a state school
MCAT: 509
They are a VA state resident, ORM

They volunteered as a mentor to underprivileged elementary school children for 2 years (100 hours), coached an area high school debate team and led some teams to the NCFL Grand National Tournament (100+ hours). They plan to do more volunteering this semester.

(total 200+ hours non-clinical volunteering)
(idk about their clinical volunteering but I do recall that they volunteered at our university's hospital...don't know the total hours)

In terms of research, they have co-authored two posters for bacteriophage work, presented these posters at state university conferences, done research with our university's Parkinson's and Movements Disorder Center for two semesters (don't have total hours for this one), was a summer research intern at Johns Hopkins Neurology and Neurosurgery (100+ hours), and they will potentially have two publications by the time they graduate this May.

(total 300+ hours research)

They shadowed doctors in India for 200+ hours, shadowed at Johns Hopskins Neurology/Neurosurg for 100+ hours, misc. doctors at our university for 25+ hours. They plan to do more shadowing.

(total 325+ hours shadowing)

Leadership roles include Vice President of our university's Charity Water organization for a year, coach of area high school debate team, vice president and then president of our university's club soccer team (3 years total), and they were a TA for our university's Honors College research class.

Please give as much feedback as you desire. Tell me about any potential weak spots in their stats. Their motivations for going into medicine are pretty justified and they can definitely write a good personal essay from what I've seen so far.

Also, any list of schools they should consider applying to would be helpful! (They're open to DO as well).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your friend scores 500 on the MCAT they are competitive for some DO schools and with a score of 507 they are competitive for all DO schools. Post the MCAT score here next month when available and I can give suggestions for appropriate MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your friend scores 500 on the MCAT they are competitive for some DO schools and with a score of 507 they are competitive for all DO schools. Post the MCAT score here next month when available and I can give suggestions for appropriate MD schools.

He scored a 509!

I suggest these scores with his stats:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wake Forest
George Washington
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
California University
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these scores with his stats:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wake Forest
George Washington
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
California University
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)

Thanks!!