Chances 2014 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reco55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to SDN...

Will apply for 2014 cycle...

Will graduate fall 2013 from pretty decent university in the south. Biology major/chem minor - went to collegiate high school so will be 20 when I graduate. 3.4, 3.4 gpa (due to high school grades counting). Will take MCAT in July. Hispanic. Would like to stay in state.

Lots of EC
Year of stem cell research/volunteer
year of volunteer in Emergency med dept
UGTA for biology lab
Biology UGTA full year
6 weeks of neurology shadowing
6 weeks of pediatrics shadowing
more...

Pretty good LOR

Will apply to low-to mid tier, few DO, few reach schools

Thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure how collegiate high schools work, but are the high school credits considered undergraduate course work? All I know about med schools is that they want all credits taken at accredited universities. Your chances are impossible to measure without the MCAT score. I would say get some non-medical related volunteering in there. Do you have any hobbies/play sports?

Hi, Yes I earned my AA degree and high school diploma at the same time from an accredited college.

Sorry.. didn't mention other EC's

two years tutoring/mentoring middle/school high school science/math (have LOR from)
STEM program involvement in local public school system
Involved in organized basketball at school/community

Paid for Kaplan class (face to face) will start in May, will supplement with EK - Have May to July to study (and I am disciplined). Took practice test last year at a program I was involved in (another EC, I didn't mention - was at a medical school in my State) got a 10 on verbal.

Shooting for 32/33

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It might help for you to say what state you're in, since you're looking to stay in-state.

I mean, if you're from Texas, you'll be able to stay in state for sure if you get the MCAT score you're shooting for...

you should easily get an interview to at least one MD programs with anything close to a 30, especially if you apply early